• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy HD Remasters... of 16-bit classics?

FreeMufasa

The Japanese only PS2 remakes of 1 and 2 might interest you, they were originally meant to have a localization when IV was remade but unfortunately IV's remake fell through.

200757-sega-ages-2500-vol-17-phantasy-star-generation-2-playstation.png

phantasy-star-generation-2-20050405071836148_640w.jpg

That looks bloody amazing.

salromano

Wow, cool. Too bad they're in Japanese, and its only the first 2? Maybe one day the whole set will get this kind of look and released in other places.

That happened

phantasystar-ps22.jpg

Damn. If only I had a JP PS2. Or one of those swap discs that let me play JP PS2 games.

BTW, they're called Phantasy Star Generation 1 and Phantasy Star Generation 2, in case anyone was wondering. They're pretty cheap used on eBay (~$20). There's a walkthrough for the first game here.

Eusis

Holy shit. Why didn't XSEED or NIS pick this up for localization? I would pay absurd amounts of money for those games..
Because someone already got the license and needed to wait until all three remakes were out, only for IV's to never materialize and for that company (Conspiracy games I believe) to kind of go down the crapper. That, and Xseed came into existence right near the end of the PS2's life, I think their first games came out the same year the PS3 did.

EDIT: I'm correct about Xseed, looking at Wikipedia WA4 and Shadow Hearts: From the New World came out early 2006, which was ALSO just after the Xbox 360 released. We would've probably been lucky to have gotten WA5 if it weren't for the PS2 having absurdly long legs and lasting until about two years ago.

I originally played this:
JMKvQl.jpg

...then bought this
MLD0Bl.jpg

So to summarize yes I did, but it sucked

It's remakes like this that miss the point of why we loved the original in the first place.

Sure the gameplay was great and playing with your friends was a blast, but the main reason I personally loved it was because I had the cartoon in my hands to play with.
Why the hell are you going to shit up the cartoon with 3d visuals.

At the very least pull a Naruto and cel shade the 3D to at least resemble the 80's style Turtles cartoon. You'd think that would be first on the agenda if you weren't going to go with HD Sprites

...but somebody saw easy money... didnt even bother with the gameplay...

Lets make a Turtles in Time remake....
What do people love about the original...
its like playing the cartoon....
great.... lets throw out the cartoon and make it 3d

why are these people in charge of making decisions

Randdalf

If the remasters were of a quality with how Metroid: Zero Mission remade Metroid. Not necessarily a strict remaster as some things did change around quite a bit, but the kind of thing I'd like to see.

Gameboy415

If they ever make an Orioto Entertainment System consisting exclusively of 16Bit-remakes done with Orioto's art I will pay big bucks for it.

Also check out the remakes of Toki and Joe & Mac by french developer Golgoth Studio:

Toki:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvJnQjDoXY

pure gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owQg9CRJgN0

Joe & Mac:
http://golgothstudio.com/devblog/category/joe-mac/

Are these still in production??

I remember hearing about these way back in 2009 but neither game has been released. :(

It's remakes like this that miss the point of why we loved the original in the first place.

Sure the gameplay was great and playing with your friends was a blast, but the main reason I personally loved it was because I had the cartoon in my hands to play with.
Why the hell are you going to shit up the cartoon with 3d visuals.

At the very least pull a Naruto and cel shade the 3D to at least resemble the 80's style Turtles cartoon. You'd think that would be first on the agenda if you weren't going to go with HD Sprites

...but somebody saw easy money... didnt even bother with the gameplay...

Lets make a Turtles in Time remake....
What do people love about the original...
its like playing the cartoon....
great.... lets throw out the cartoon and make it 3d

why are these people in charge of making decisions

I see a lot of hatred for the TMNT XBLA/PSN "remake", but another one that gets forgotten is the terrible Rocket Knight Adventures "remake"/sequel for XBLA/PSN. Totally soulless.

Put a solid JP developer on a real Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis) remake and it might have a chance.

if it involves replacing the original sprites in any way then no thank you. high quality re-releases in the vein of sonic cd are always welcome of course.

in fact i want the opposite of what this thread is focused on. i want entirely new franchises and sequels to old franchises done with the same lovingly detailed sprite art from that era. Gemini Rue is absolutely stunning and i am salivating at the thought of a new 16-bit sonic game using the retro engine.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd love to see 16 bit classics done up like Spelunky, actually:

PS5ia.jpg

(Pic stolen from it's tread!)

But I'm always a fan of spritework, as well. I'd love to see really simple old-school games get HD Spritework (I think there's be a market for these things at 10 dollars, really), but I can understand that it'd be crazy to re-do lengthier games in such an "inefficient" artstyle, so Having bigger games redone in HD 2D handdrawn art work work, also.

And the originals should ALWAYS be included with such remakes, BTW. If at all possible! Would really help lower the "this isn't what I remember!" backlash rate, or at least still make people feel "well, I still got what I wanted, in the end!"

Switching gears, sometimes I think what gave these old artstlyes "Soul" is that they had a liveliness that exceeded your expectations. I mean, for all intents and purposes, the TMNT remake isn't totally soulless, but it's kinda just "average" 3D animation, in a world that's shown us the expressiveness of Pixar and Dreamworks 3D animations. It's not going above and beyond, just meeting the expectations.

Same way I feel about "flash" looking 2D animations. They look so sterile compared to the animated nature that old spriteworks characters (at their best) would have. There's such a concentration on character image detail, that motion gets to take a backseat. Surely unfortunate, as life through motion is one of the strongest elements of making something feel lifely and "soulful".

It'd be great to see the genre's of today get HD 2D mini-sequels in between big-budget releases, really. Let them play with all the particulars of the old eras; their personality, their fashions, soundscapes, writing, trends and tropes. It'd be very interesting to see what kind of mashups would result from such things.

Are these still in production??

I remember hearing about these way back in 2009 but neither game has been released. :(

I'm also wondering about that.
Their facebook page seems to indicate that it's still on the way: http://www.facebook.com/golgothstudio

if it involves replacing the original sprites in any way then no thank you. high quality re-releases in the vein of sonic cd are always welcome of course.

What you're asking for is basically a remaster and not a remake.

Top Bottom