• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still buy a NX if nintendo hides the specs again?

anothertech

Apparently based on the WiiU, specs matter more than the games for its success.

My WiiU has an incredible list of Nintendo games. But the 3rd parties offerings and sales numbers told the real story of this poor console.

I'll buy the NX, like every other console so far, but I won't pretend the specs don't matter.

I don't think most fans care what the specs are but the nx needs to at least be as powerful as the xbox/ps4 in order to have 3rd party games.

On the other hand, I don't even know if it'll be enough then. If the NX launches late next year it's still 3 years late to that party. They 'will need to do some serious legwork to get an install base that late in the game and to convince third parties to release stuff until then. Late batman ports (not the same content!) won't do the trick, and I hope they realise it.

Pinky

Banned
While this is obviously true, not having comparable specs to Ps4 and XB1 would mean not getting third parties again, but launching a console comparable to ps4 and xb1 so late means doing the same error as the wiiu that initially got some ps360 multis but when the generation ended third party support basically ended too.

Having comparable/more powerful specs would help, but I don't think that, solely, is going to suddenly convince third parties to throw everything they have at NX.

Hide specs ? You are acting as Gaffers didnt know how strong the Wii or WiiU were when they launched.

lol there was a entire thread to find out the actual power of the gpu, long after the console launched, they were actually raising funds to do it, until a company did it for free, forgot the name though.

Zimmy68

To everyone that says specs don't matter. That is a very short sighted approach.

If they release the NX with something like 75% of the Xbox One, sure they can make an amazing looking Mario game but they will be left behind by 3rd parties who don't want to develop games on slow spec machines.

So if you are happy with a short console lifetime and 1st party only games about twice a year. More power to you.
I want to be surprised with a console that has more power then one that was released 3 years ago, I don't think Nintendo can do it.

DrWong

I think we all remember the thread's about wiiu gpu, and the crazy predictions, of some of the nintendo tech head's prediction's about wiiu gpu, thinking it's 600-900 gflops, when in reality, it was like 176 gflops, samething kinda happened with the wii. so wiiu owner's would you do it again, buy the next nintendo console with out knowing if its future proof in terms of hardware, because nintendo is too embarrassed to show off the specs.
I'm sure OP looks at the spec' and can tell if the system will handle dynamic shadow or not. He's an expert.

NeonZ

If Nintendo wants a larger share of the market then they're going to have to present a product that appeals to more than just 1st party game buyers. Without 3rd party support, they're just making another Wii U

Ps4-level specs at this point of the generation wouldn't help at all though. Why would anyone interested in 3rd party games go to the NX for 3rd party games rather than the Ps4 itself, which will have a larger selection by the time the NX launches? It'd be like the Wii U. Third party ports at launch, no one buys them, support evaporates. The only way specs would help here would be if Nintendo were actually already pushing next gen hardware (so, sub-PS5, rather than PS4+), and people had a reason to jump to the NX rather than the other consoles, but that will never happen.

Nintendo's best chance to get out of the Wii U hole is the whole portable/console shared library concept. It probably won't lead them to 1st place or anything, but it should help doing away with their image of software droughts and lack of support. If they can't do that, doesn't matter if the specs will be low or high, it'll be another Wii U.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Good games are more important than how powerful the hardware is.

The 3DS and Wii U are respectively the weakest in their class but contain some of my favorite experiences of the generation.

pfr

Never had a Nintendo console before Wii U. The games on it have been so great. I especially love platformers and where else would I get those? So... most likely I'll get a NX. Really glad I went with Nintendo instead of XO/PS4 this gen, but I do have a pc as well.

This is fucking stupid though. They're not embarrassed, they think specs shouldn't be part of the message.

Exactly. Embarrassment is the furthest thing from the truth. Something not being a selling point doesn't make it an "embarrassment" except to fanboys.

The record-setting sales of the Wii had nothing to do with specs. The continued dominance of Nintendo's handhelds defied all "specs matter!" rhetoric. Specs only matter to a tiny fraction of the audience. The vast majority of consumers don't know the specs of their consoles.

In fact, this will probably be the first gen since the SNES when the superior-specced console will end up selling the most.

Eolz

really? it's a electronic device, they all have specs, people should know the specs on a electronic device that costs hundreds of dollars.

They didn't hide what the games looked like behind bullshots. That's the message they want to communicate: "Does the game look good/fun?", not " Hmmm, can a dev do this when I absolutely no idea".
As someone said before, you can't really tell what a console is capable of based on some specs only.

MaDKaT

Specs are important to me to a degree. If the system is only on par with the PS4 then I may pass. But like with any system, it just needs to have a game I must have. Not sure what it would be for the NX since Nintendo hasn't wowed me for several generations but who knows. Show me a stellar update to WaveRace or 1080 and I certainly would consider it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not having third party support is more NIntendo problem than mine to be honest...
Well it's all linked, poor third party support means less games hence less variety and appeal hence less success hence wiiu again.
if you buy nintendo consoles just for nintendo games good for you but i have the impression that nintendo games are losing their "system selling power".

Having comparable/more powerful specs would help, but I don't think that, solely, is going to suddenly convince third parties to throw everything they have at NX.

Maybe they won't make exclusives but multis and ports yes imo.

koutoru

I would actually be surprised if Nintendo was forthcoming about the specifications for the NX.

We'll find out eventually what the specifications are either by leaks or by people actually opening the box. I don't think it matters to much in the long run.

I'd buy it if it were reasonably priced, wasn't a gimmick and had some good games besides your usual mario, dkc, etc. Sorry guys, but I do care about specs cause playing GZ at 720p is blurry and hurts my eyes.

Mexen

I never buy anything at launch anyway. Big expectations for NX though regardless of specs speaking realistically and Ninty's track record since the Wii.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I buy Ninty consoles for Ninty games, so specs are the least of my concerns.

BigDug13

Nintendo fans are going to buy the console. The real question is "will mainstream gamers buy another weak Nintendo system that will see barely any third party support of mainstream titles like Madden, CoD, Destiny, Fallout, etc?"

Nintendo is doomed to be a possible second console purchase if they can't figure that out.

gdt

I don't care about the specs on a Nintendo system really.

It will be a box for Nintendo exclusives. So I'll need it anyway regardless of specs.

I won't. The WiiU sucks. It sits under my TV collecting dust. I have zero faith they will release great hardware so no way I'm gonna trust it without specs. Their games just aren't enough anymore.

I'm sure OP looks at the spec' and can tell if the system will handle dynamic shadow or not. He's an expert.

lol it's something i notice right away, i love realistic looking lighting in games,with dynamic shadows everywhere, i actually remember lighting making a huge difference for me since the ps2 era, ps2 games like gt3, and mugs made dreamcast look a generation behind cause of lighting. you really don't need to be an expert just have a good eye for detail.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
"Hiding the specs" like it's some kind of scandalous controversy, haha.

Having a powerful (or at least "capable") machine matters for the developers making the games, and if they make the games then the games are there and that's what matters to me. I don't give a shit if I personally never know what the NX system specs are. Hell I hardly even know what the specs of a PS4 are and I'll eventually pick one up because it has Bloodborne and a bunch of other games I really want to play.

virtualS

Specs influence the games which can be made for a system given development budget constraints. Games influence my purchase decision. I don't care if the specs aren't specified, I will care if they're lacking for the third time in a row.

If it's running an ARM processor when the rest of the AAA industry is writing for x86 then they might as well stick with the WiiU.

Olly88

I can't imagine waiting to see some specs before deciding whether I want to play the games on there or not. So yes.

Drackhorn

I'd be more interested to see if the third party developers jump onboard this time around. That may have something to do with the specs.

marmoka

Banned
People don't care about specs, people care about games. It's true most of the consumers are buying One and PS4 because they are considerably more powerful than the Wii U, but if you try to sell them the consoles talking about specs, most of them won't understand anything at all.

People want powerful consoles, and games that take advantage of that power. Knowing that the console is powerful and has great games is enough for the mainstream to buy consoles. Meanwhile, numbers are irrelevant.

this time I really do care about specs.

MS and Sony are already on thin ice this generation (with me, not in general ;p) for pish specs, and my wii-u is a glorified dust collector.

Give me a decently capable machine or wave goodbye to my allegiance forever Nintendo.

Wildean

Everyone should set their expectations to Wii U level hardware in a different box. Then you will be pleasantly surprised. Or at the very least not disappointed.

They didn't hide what the games looked like behind bullshots. That's the message they want to communicate: "Does the game look good/fun?", not " Hmmm, can a dev do this when I absolutely no idea".
As someone said before, you can't really tell what a console is capable of based on some specs only.

i disagree if a new console comes and has close specs to lastgen consoles in terms of power, you will see the same results for the most part, take wii and wiiu, there games don't look like a step up from there lastgen competition .

Malcolm9

Ps4-level specs at this point of the generation wouldn't help at all though. Why would anyone interested in 3rd party games go to the NX for 3rd party games rather than the Ps4 itself, which will have a larger selection by the time the NX launches? It'd be like the Wii U. Third party ports at launch, no one buys them, support evaporates. The only way specs would help here would be if Nintendo were actually already pushing next gen hardware (so, sub-PS5, rather than PS4+), and people had a reason to jump to the NX rather than the other consoles, but that will never happen.

Nintendo's best chance to get out of the Wii U hole is the whole portable/console shared library concept. It probably won't lead them to 1st place or anything, but it should help doing away with their image of software droughts and lack of support. If they can't do that, doesn't matter if the specs will be low or high, it'll be another Wii U.

I really can't see Nintendo going that far power wise, especially with the PS4 being the more popular console, but it needs to be on par or slightly better to be more relevant.

It's not about 1st place but at least people who buy the NX can have the confidence in knowing their favourite games will also be included ie FIFA, COD, AC etc alongside first party titles.

Top Bottom