• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still buy a NX if nintendo hides the specs again?

Regiruler

The launch games should honestly be a good indicator whether the machine is powerful enough. Hard specs aren't necessary from a consumer standpoint (outside obvious stuff like hard drive space).

Windforce

If specs didn't matter why would we be getting new consoles? I don't really understand people dismissing the importance of a console's power. If it didn't we would be getting only OS/controller updates for PS360 forever.

Of course it matters, and Nintendo should be as transparent as possible about it. It doesn't need to be an expensive powerhouse but I don't think we want to be in a Wii U-like situation again. Moving the tech forward is nice for gaming as a whole.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yes, if it does look like a reasonable bump in terms of the software they are showing off... and it should.

But they really need to get with the program. The Wii U is so slow in everything... reminds me of when I pick up my old iPhone 4S I retired a few years ago. So aggravatingly slow in every task. Not acceptable for a 2016 device.

If specs didn't matter why would we be getting new consoles? I don't really understand people dismissing the importance of a console's power.

Of course it matters, and Nintendo should be as transparent as possible. It doesn't need to be a powerhouse but I don't think we want to be in a Wii U-like situation again. Moving the tech forward is nice.

this so much, its fucking exciting when you get a console that's 10x more powerful.

Post Gamecube who cares about the specs in a Nintendo system?

somebody that might wanna buy a nintendo console only.

Pinky

Banned
Maybe they won't make exclusives but multis and ports yes imo.

I think multiplats and ports can happen, especially if the costs are low and the development tools are user-friendly. Exclusives? Possibly, though I would imagine Nintendo would have to be way more aggressive with their money(more so than Sony and MS) to lockdown such titles. And you know third parties are going to keep a watchful eye on sales and monitor the install base to see if the trouble is even worth it.

Astral Dog

Oh my god, ninjablade, you went too far this time o_O

Nintendo never "hid" the specs of Wii U, it was all baseless speculation and theories, early dev. kits, rumors, etc. before releasing you knew what was inside the machine, or at least enough to get an idea. they could never hide that.

You got Nintendo games on HD, with many agreeing they look quite nice. regardless of the very modest specs.

The only thing is that they should avoid the bullshit like Reggie saying CoD looked much better on Wii U. and be overall more clear on that aspect, wich im guessing they will be given the circunstances.

Bu im not sure what you mean, they were somewhat clear on 3DS also.

Paracelsus

Outdated hardware is what killed their regular third party support on Wii and on Wii U, maybe they'll get it the third time and make a PS5 with whatever other major gimmick they have in mind.

Yeah, I'm in for Nintendo games and I've a feeling that they're going all out with first party software with NX.
I don't care about console specs, I have a gaming PC.

It depends on what games they offer and the gimmick of the system. I'm thinking peoples minds are going to be blown when they focus on a watch or some other type of wearable/carriable gimmick which has your account and works across devices.

Glix

The only reason I care about Nintendo system specs is because other people care.

This situation with the WiiU really really grinds my gears, I love the system and it should have plenty of life left in it.

So yeah, I care because I want other people to be impressed and to buy it.

That being said, I personally don't give a shit, I love their software, and will keep buying their systems with a smile on my face.

Honestly the NX's success,in my opinion, is dependent on them actually getting a usable online infrastructure along with a dedicated Nintendo account system that is standard across all devices.

If they can actually make the jump to completely online like the rest of the industry (and not hide behind protecting the youth; a very small bit of their demographic) bringing voice chat/normal online features to the console.

The specs are less important than establishing themselves online.

If they're not upfront about it, I'd hold off until some tech experts got ahold of it before even thinking about buying one.

Either way, if it turns out to be another hardware dud, I'll be waiting a few years for enough titles to get released and the inevitable stock clearance fire sales when it crashes and burns.

kingkaiser

Specs will be disappointing, that's pretty much given.

Only thing I care for is more focus on western designed games, reflecting in an overall stronger first and third party output like in the N64 an GameCube days.

And a new Metroid Prime. That game alone would make me buy NX.

Astral Dog

And i agree the next system should offer more competitive specs. better tech, etc. than was offered before, but thats not only because it opens the door to some third party support that Nintendo needs, but also a smart and neccessary business decision. there is no other way.

that said we could agree Nintendo made the jump to HD very well with Wii U, regardless of their limited tech. have you seen Xenoblade X?
xenoblade_x.jpg

EDIT: Most of all easier for devs to get their teeth into.

Herne

I have a pc, so they could bring out an overclocked Wii U for all I'd care. I think it should be somewhat better than the current systems if just for third party stuff though.

Oh my god, ninjablade, you went too far this time o_O

Nintendo never "hid" the specs of Wii U, it was all baseless speculation and theories, early dev. kits, rumors, etc. before releasing you knew what was inside the machine, or at least enough to get an idea. they could never hide that.

You got Nintendo games on HD, with many agreeing they look quite nice. regardless of the very modest specs.

The only thing is that they should avoid the bullshit like Reggie saying CoD looked much better on Wii U. and be overall more clear on that aspect, wich im guessing they will be given the circunstances.

Bu im not sure what you mean, they were somewhat clear on 3DS also.

you had many people here, including tech heads guessing it was a 2-4x jump from 360, even after it came out, they blamed the lazy devs for not taking advantage of wiiu secret hidden powers in multuplatform games, they were differently hidden, i just can't imagine nintendo would wanna show off the specs, like the wii and wiiu, hey are nextgen consoles are as powerful as lastgen.

lOTl

Banned
Is NX the name for Nintendo's future platform, a platform that encompasses both handheld and console systems and games?
Right now I am looking at an epic backlog of games on 3DS and if those games are left behind, I will not be rushing to update with hardware that has no software.
The same is somewhat true with a set top unit; Nintendo will have to sell me on the software and doubly so if they drop BC.

TAS

I will buy the NX at launch, like every previous Nintendo console. However if they take the conservative route again with their hardware--it will be a detrimental mistake IMO.

jax

Banned
People saying "why would people buy an NX for third party games" are funny. Nintendo's first party obliterates any semblance of Sony/MS first party support, and the majority of 360/PS3 owners haven't even jumped ship to next gen yet. If NX has proper third party support, it's bye bye PS4/X1.

And i agree the next system should offer more competitive specs. better tech, etc. than was offered before, but thats not only because it opens the door to some third party support that Nintendo needs, but also a smart and neccessary business decision. there is no other way.

that said we could agree Nintendo made the jump to HD very well with Wii U, regardless of their limited tech. have you seen Xenoblade X?
xenoblade_x.jpg

yea i saw X, and honestly anybody who knows a little about graphics, can tell those graphics look last gen.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I need to see the specs.

Because if the specs at minimum don't match that of the XB1 than I won't be buying it at launch because it's not worth buying a weaker system than XB1 at $300/$400 in the year 2016/2017 when the NX is released.I don't want another 1/2 way Console like the Wii U ("Stronger" than a PS3 but doesn't even register as next gen hardware as far as XB1/PS4 specs go) that even 3rd Parties won't even bother porting Multiplatform games to it.

Unless it's a Portable hardware hybrid than I can let them slide to not matching the XB1 hardware standards.

Astral Dog

you had many people here, including tech heads guessing it was a 2-4x jump from 360, even after it came out, they blamed the lazy devs for not taking advantage of wiiu secret hidden powers in multuplatform games

true, but thats fanboys of all case, i saw everything. i think it took awhile to understand the Wii U was more underpowered than most expected. but it still a big jump from the Wii...

Its good to say people should keep their expectations low...and not be confused by anything, overall the system was very confusing on all aspects:p

wich is why they should be much more clear this time, im guessing NX will fall somewhere between Xbox ONE and PS4. depending how serious they are this time. anything more will be a surprise, less a dissapointment.

Cleve

The specs of the NX are not relevant to me buying it.

It'll be the place to play new Nintendo games. That's really all I expect out of it.

I want the specs if i´m supposed to buy one on launch day.

If we don´t get them i´ll wait until we get them from teardown websites to decide.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I don't understand specs at all. I'm hoping it'll be on par with current gen though.

Whether or not I buy at launch comes down to the games. Wii U launch titles were weak.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
As long as there are enough good games, sure. I barely know the specs of my own PC.
Won't buy any console at launch though, made that mistake with the 3DS

anothertech

I feel like it's an uphill battle. 3rd party content seems to be key for a console to be successful, but 3rd party devs dropped Nintendo due to the nature of the low powered system this time.

Nintendo also announced offerings going mobile, so it seems to be just a matter of time before Mario is on our phones.

If they don't 1 up the competition this far into the game, those two factors seem to make a perfect storm of 'why bother' for the non hardcore fans.

The Ninty fans will of course buy it, like myself, but we also bought the U, and we know how far that got us.

Astral Dog

yea i saw X, and honestly anybody who knows a little about graphics, can tell those graphics look last gen.

its still a huge ambitious game and big risk. especially for how they are treating it as more niche than Bayo.

But its not really that the Wii U is not "last gen" of course the specs are comparable to 360 and PS3 more than anything else, but when used well can create good looking interesting titles that go a bit beyond, Nintendo goes more for art direction than overall tech, for better or worse. (this time for worse despite being their best looking titles by far!)

RulkezX

At this point I don't know. I'll definitely not be going anywhere near it at launch unless it has a real killer app AND is technically impressive.

My U never gets turned on and my kids won't play it as they prefer PS4 , 360 or PC. in fact reading what I've just wrote I guess I can safely say I'll be in the no camp. It'll take something mind blowing to tempt me.

I would like to see them in some sort of press release or something but I don't think it's necessary at all as part of the initial on stage reveal.

I absolutely don't care about the specs. Give me good games and and I'm in.

There's a reason my 3ds gets all my game time and my vita collects dust.

VariantX

I do care about the specs, but much more so about functionality of the OS, whether or not if their hardware will make the experience awkward or not for the games i like to play and what they plan to do about software droughts, what their plans are for indie developers going forward, how are they working with the big third parties to bring their content over to their platform this time around.

impact

Banned
Not if it has a premium price tag like the Wii U did

And they're gonna have to try just a bit harder on the software side. I'm not gonna buy a NX to have it collect dust for 10 months out of the year like the Wii U did.

brau

xenoblade_x.jpg

Yes. Their tech and the way they leverage has really made some awesome looking games.

Top Bottom