• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow EB just really stuck it to the PSP

Slacker

bittertearsvs2.jpg

kpop100 said:
They should have put an Atari Lynx and a Game Gear next to the PSP instead of the DS and GBA, then they'd really be driving the point home :p
This hasn't been done yet? Well then, PH33R MY MS PAINT SKILLZ!
pspsucks.jpg

marsomega

M3Freak said:
I got my PSP in Chandler, AZ, when I waas vacationing there over Christmas. I walked in to an EB and decided I was going to buy one.

Me: Hi. I'd like to purchase a PSP and Daxter, please.
Dude: Okay. I'll be right back.

[Dude goes to the back. I thought he went to get new stock.]

Dudette shows up, and pulls out a PSP, cables, and a bunch of other shit.

Dudette: Doesn't this PSP look good? No scratches, blah..blah...blah
Me: I don't want a used PSP. I want a brand new one.
Dudette: Are you sure? There's nothing wrong with this one. You get an EB warranty.
Me: I'm visiting from Canada. I don't want a used one, and the warranty is most probably useless to me since I'm not staying here.
Dudette: You should really get this. It costs less.
Me: I don't care. I want a new one. Besides, my credit card extends warranties.
Dude: How long does it give you?
Me: Doubles the warranty.
Dude: I'm just trying to help you, but that will only give you 6 months.
Me: O_-

Dudette stares at me like she's about to cry.

Me: Give me a new PSP and a new Daxter game.
Dudette: Ok.

I only mention two, but there were four, maybe five employees that day. All of them were ganging up on me. I've never experienced anything like that before in my life.

Then, as I'm PAYING for the PSP, the another Dudette says she wants a PSP, and the first Dudette has the gal to say "Don't bother - it sucks". I should have at that point said:

Me: For ****'s sake. Give me back my money. You can take the PSP and shove it.
Dudette: o_O
Me: You're actually dumb enough to ruin a sure fire sale because I didn't buy the stupid used PSP? Are you STUPID?
Dudette: o_O

A "sure fire sale" doesn't mean crap at any place you go especially for these systems. Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, EB Games, everything short of selling "hot" PSP's will not make a dime on selling you that PSP no matter how much a "sure fire sale" it is. They in fact they lose money. Call it "money hungry" or "greedy" all you want. These places are there for one reason, not for your joy, they are there to make money. You and every other person in these stores are "sure fire sales." They don't have to convince anyone to buy anything.

What you say you should of said is what shouldn't of said had you said it. Just makes you look like a fool to them. The way you responded to her opened you up for the whole "exchange". Like speaking to someone about a certain subject in general; Give them A and B reasons and you should expect a conversation over A and B reasons.

Basically...

"Thank you very much but I would like a new PSP instead. May I have a new PSP please..... Yes thank you but I would like a new PSP, may I have a new PSP Please."

If she doesn't get it then, you're looking at someone refusing to let you purchase a brand new PSP. Complain to a manager, get the District Managers number and let him/her know they refused to let you purchase a PSP, complain to corporate, the BBB... Just move on with your life. :)

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
:lol :lol :lol

This thread was too much. I may have needed time to study, but of all the threads to pop in on after a lengthy GAF absence, THIS is the one I'm glad I stumbled upon. Well worth my time.

Slacker

TTP said:
EDIT: didn't notice the text. Sorry :lol
:lol The sad part is that it was actually kind of a lot of work because I had to put a new background behind everything (there's no way I could have erased the old text otherwise). :D

S-Wind

AlphaSnake said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news in this thread...but I hope you guys know that Nintendo may very well be responsible for this promotion, and not EB. It's funny either way, but I'm just saying.

... ...

... ... ...

Someone please tell me I am not the only one who sees the ludicrousness of this suggestion.

Anyway, I'll bew heading to EB in an hour. I'll post the photo after my midterm.

marsomega said:
A "sure fire sale" doesn't mean crap at any place you go especially for these systems. Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, EB Games, everything short of selling "hot" PSP's will not make a dime on selling you that PSP no matter how much a "sure fire sale" it is. They in fact they lose money. Call it "money hungry" or "greedy" it all you want. These places are there for one reason, not for your joy, they are there to make money. You and every other person in these stores are "sure fire sales." They don't have to convince anyone to buy anything.

What you say you should of said is what shouldn't of said had you said it. Just makes you look like a fool to them. The way you responded to her opened you up for the whole "exchange". Like speaking to someone about a certain subject in general; Give them A and B reasons and you should expect a conversation over A and B reasons.

Basically...

"Thank you very much but I would like a new PSP instead. May I have a new PSP please..... Yes thank you but I would like a new PSP, may I have a new PSP Please."

If she doesn't get it then, you're looking at someone refusing to let you purchase a brand new PSP. Complain to a managar, get the District Managers number and let him/her know they refused to let you purchase a PSP, complain to corporate, the BBB... Just move on with your life. :)

Not related to your point much, but I love these "I should have said, but didn't" exchanges. It's even more funny when the person tries to extrapolate the response of the person they're saying it to.

Essentially what you're saying here, M3, is that you felt justified enough to make a complaint and withdraw your business, but did neither, and in fact carried out your transaction quietly and submissively, then came here and imagined a scenario wherein you actually stood up for your beliefs. W-way to stick it to the man?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Not related to your point much, but I love these "I should have said, but didn't" exchanges. It's even more funny when the person tries to extrapolate the response of the person they're saying it to.

Essentially what you're saying here, M3, is that you felt justified enough to make a complaint and withdraw your business, but did neither, and in fact carried out your transaction quietly and submissively, then came here and imagined a scenario wherein you actually stood up for your beliefs. W-way to stick it to the man?

:lol

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
So I'm guessing this is EB-only and Gamestop's not running a similar deal? Aren't both stores now owned by the same company?

tedtropy said:
So I'm guessing this is EB-only and Gamestop's not running a similar deal? Aren't both stores now owned by the same company?

EB Games Canada. We don't have GameStop up here, but they do own EB Games Canada.

Segata Sanshiro said:

:lol

I'm glad somebody said it.

tedtropy

Segata Sanshiro said:
EB Games Canada. We don't have GameStop up here, but they do own EB Games Canada.

As in this offer doesn't apply to the States?

pxleyes

Banned
Wow, I cant believe I missed this thread. This will teach me to never skip a thread on GAF.

Absolutely classic. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Slacker

Link648099 said:
I cannot possibly construe their rationale.
I assume the joke is that Sony's viral marketing usually scares off potential customers, so why not take it one step further and try to eliminate existing customers as well?

tedtropy

Jive Turkey said:
I'd love to help you out but I generally stay as far away from EB as I can.

P.S. -- Your avatar is hot.

As is yours. I have the oddest sudden craving for the Wendys mushroom burger. :D

I called my local EB this morning to first confirm if they have any Lites in stock and hung up before they could even finish "all we have is pin-". Dammit.

marsomega

Segata Sanshiro said:

I liked my response to M3 better, it had a nice tone at the end...Even if it had typos...

You just cemented my typos into the history of gaf. :-(

marsomega said:
I liked my response to M3 better, it had a nicer toner at the end...Even if it had typos...

You just cemented my typos into the history of gaf. :-(

Dude, I'm Segata Sanshiro. M3 is lucky I didn't tomoenagi his ass into the ground and explode him for not playing Saturn diligently enough.

Firestorm

basis said:
actually if the CA folks have seen this in EB:CA for sometime as some of the CA members have verified, why hasn't it been reported earlier? only just the last 24hrs? not trying to derail the awesomeness of this thread but it just isn't like GAFers to be late.

Well, it's the second time that this promotion is going on. Also, I didn't notice the exact wording of the ad before "Trade the Past, Play the Future". Anyway, this isn't CheapAssGamer or RedFlagDeals so I don't really usually post gaming deals here. If people want 'em, just hang out at one of the aforementioned sites.

But yes, this promotion is real. This is the second time it's going on. It was going on in I think October 2006.

PSPs have gotten WAY less popular with the release of the DS Lite. Before that the two systems were basicaly even with a slight edge for the PSP. Now the DS Lite is a mammoth.

arcader

Banned
Guys all the ad says is "We want PSP's!"

As no doubt the PSP will have more longevity due to its greater technical limitations and will be as hot as the PSOne around year 5-6.

As of now I like the DSLite and PSP just the same - however my Nintendo console collections are 1/6th of my SONY console collections these days. And thats with me buying stuff for Wii like Metal Slug Anthology.

On the topic of Mana Knight - I see why what he wrote seems a little strong - but it wasnt really that funny for you lot to go on for pages over it.

I mean maybe a chuckle - but posts about people not being able to breathe from laughing too hard are just too over the top.

Seriously, this isnt that funny, or that sad for that matter. This thread underdelivered, and all of you willing fanboys, are exagerating.

The Peter Moore thread on the other hand...

Firestorm

arcader said:

As no doubt the PSP will have more longevity due to its greater technical limitations and will be as hot as the PSOne around year 5-6.

As of now I like the DSLite and PSP just the same - however my Nintendo console collections are 1/6th of my SONY console collections these days. And thats with me buying stuff for Wii like Metal Slug Anthology.

On the topic of Mana Knight - I see why what he wrote seems a little strong - but it wasnt really that funny for you lot to go on for pages over it.

I mean maybe a chuckle - but posts about people not being able to breathe from laughing too hard are just too over the top.

And they're also saying that they want Xbox, PS2s, and GameCubes instead of 360s, PS3s, and Wiis right?

For people who don't know, here is another promotion EB Canada has right now:

Get $100 towards a Wii, 360, PS3 when you trade any of the following:

1. Xbox
2. PS2 and 3 games
3. GameCube and 4 games
4. GBA SP and 5 games

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
arcader said:

This thread just found new life!

arcader

Banned
Firestorm said:
And they're also saying that they want Xbox, PS2s, and GameCubes instead of 360s, PS3s, and Wiis right?

For people who don't know, here is another promotion EB Canada has right now:

Get $100 towards a Wii, 360, PS3 when you trade any of the following:

1. Xbox
2. PS2 and 3 games
3. GameCube and 4 games
4. GBA SP and 5 games

Yes - thats the point- they ALWAYS want to sell their used stuff as opposed to new stuff.

Have you not noticed they try to collect stuff when its not as popular, and then push it when it blows up (remembers GTAIII PS2 packs at EB containing a used PS2 and GTAIII)

Its not like they get any margin on the PSP otherwise.

ethelred

arcader said:

I agree. I don't think this thread, or the Mana Knight stuff, was particularly funny at all, and I think everyone who participated in it should be ashamed.

arcader

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
I can get 40 bucks for my SP? Maybe it's time to get a DS.

I have a DSLite and a GBA SP - Id keep the SP if I were you...its stil good for GBA playin and Gamecube link games....

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
arcader said:
I have a DSLite and a GBA SP - Id keep the SP if I were you...its stil good for GBA playin and Gamecube link games....
I suppose missing out on NSMB, EBA, Rocket Slime, Clubhouse Games, Sonic Rush, Tetris DS, AC, Caslevanias, Metroid Hunters, FF3, Nintendogs, Meteos, Mario + Luigi, Mario Kart, Advanced Wars, Yoshi's Island, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Hotel Dusk and Lunar Knights wouldn't be so bad.

I mean, being able to play GBA games as well adds no value to the system either: good point arcader. System link games are definitely the reason to keep playing the GBA, because I'd have to stop throwing my "4 Swords" parties, and that would make my entire neighborhood sad.

DS games aren't even games anyways...

cvxfreak

RubxQub said:
I suppose missing out on NSMB, EBA, Rocket Slime, Clubhouse Games, Sonic Rush, Tetris DS, AC, Caslevanias, Metroid Hunters, FF3, Nintendogs, Meteos, Mario + Luigi, Mario Kart, Advanced Wars, Yoshi's Island, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Hotel Dusk and Lunar Knights wouldn't be so bad.

I mean, being able to play GBA games as well adds no value to the system either: good point arcader. System link games are definitely the reason to keep playing the GBA, because I'd have to stop throwing my "4 Swords" parties, and that would make my entire neighborhood sad.

I personally prefer to use my bright lit SP or the micro for GBA games. I don't think the poster above was trying to insinuate that someone keep the SP and not get a DS.

arcader

Banned
RubxQub said:

umm im suggesting he keep the GBA-SP AND get the DS-lite.

Its better to have both - not trade the GBASP for the DSLite.

Top Bottom