• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrestleMania 33 Week |OT| The Ride Never Ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

Boo's make Roman strong.

The day a super villain was born.

rock-reigns-1940x1091.jpg

Roman, steal Undertaker's soul and reach your final form.

It annoys me to no end that crowds haven't figured it out yet. Don't boo Roman, just be fucking silent. Don't give him the thumbs down, instead be visibly bored.

I had the same thoughts about Cena 7 YEARS ago, which was 5 YEARS after the Cena sucks chants started in 2005. We have a lot of Roman Reigns to look forward to.

Chopper

This is what I've been saying for days.
And you're still wrong. You're not a heel just because you get booed. Especially if you're getting booed for being an awful character being shoved down your throats as the new "top guy". You're a heel if you're a bad guy, getting booked as an antagonist against faces.

I would love the following results...

Andre Battle Royal - Big Show or Strowman (if he is in it)... or maybe Mojo!
Miz and wife beat Cena and girl
Goldberg squash Brock again.. (it will never happen)
Seth Rollins beat HHH
Take beat Reigns
Wyatt beat Orton
Jericho beat Kevin Owens
Charlotte win belt

And you're still wrong. You're not a heel just because you get booed. Especially if you're getting booed for being an awful character being shoved down your throats as the new "top guy". You're a heel if you're a bad guy, getting booked as an antagonist against faces.
You mean the guy who came out at 30 in the Rumble to really cheese fans?

The guy who has mostly feuded with ”entertaining heels hardcore fans cheer no matter what" in main events in 2016 and 17? (Styles, Owens, Jericho, and Rusev)

The guy who straight up tells you he's not a good guy or a bad guy but just The Guy of the company? (How does this obvious heel move confuse dudes)

The guy new babyface Braun Strowman antagonized by announcing "these fans don't like you Roman, and neither do I"?

He's under every male wrestling fan's skin as a heel, and women and kids still love him more and more. Wrestling is fucking awesome. Wish you guys were having more fun with the show and these crowd responses and dynamics rather than just being cynical everyday.

Chopper

You mean the guy who came out at 30 in the Rumble to really cheese fans?

The guy who has mostly feuded with ”entertaining heels hardcore fans cheer no matter what" in main events in 2016 and 17? (Styles, Owens, Jericho, and Rusev)

The guy who straight up tells you he's not a good guy or a bad guy but just The Guy of the company? (How does this obvious heel move confuse dudes)

The guy new babyface Braun Strowman antagonized by announcing "these fans don't like you Roman, and neither do I"?

He's under every male wrestling fan's skin as a heel, and women and kids still love him more and more. Wrestling is fucking awesome. Wish you guys were having more fun with the show and these crowd responses and dynamics rather than just being cynical everyday.
I'm not cynical. I am able to find joy in almost every aspect of WWE wrestling, and I am thoroughly looking forward to Sunday. I just hate the way they book Reigns. I'm going to Raw in London in a few weeks, and I will be turning my back on him.

Chopper

If WWE wanted Roman to be a heel this entire time than they wouldn't mute the boos
Exactly. Or edit video packages so that you can't see the negative reactions at ringside. The WWE WANT us to be cheering for Reigns. That's not a heel.

All those guys Liu Kang listed above are heels, and we were expected to cheer for Reigns, because he's a face. Bad booking makes that impossible.

All those guys Liu Kang listed above are heels, and we were expected to cheer for Reigns, because he's a face. Bad booking makes that impossible.
You missed my point: what's the chance Roman, in any booking scenario, no matter how great, wouldn't be the heel against Styles, Owens, or Jericho to a young male audience? Has he ever come out in 2016 and not been the most booed guy on any show? You think they're oblivious to this or not working with it?

There were faces and heels in each of these programs, but who fell under which categorization depends on your history with wrestling and your demographic. This show isn't exclusively to appeal to young men anymore, and it hasn't been since they went PG. Roman is the strongest evidence of this, but people here can't see wrestling having an audience bigger than the "IWC" types. (This is why I keep asking in the past few days how many people here watch with their kids, because the way people on GAF talk about wrestling isn't how I experience it in the real world or my Internet.)

They know how we react to him. Read or listen to any interview any of the top stars or executives give. It's not 2014 anymore, it's 2017 and they're booking to us knowing we think we're above having an emotion for Roman, as crowds everywhere continue to have the most emotions for him.

I'm not cynical. I am able to find joy in almost every aspect of WWE wrestling, and I am thoroughly looking forward to Sunday. I just hate the way they book Reigns. I'm going to Raw in London in a few weeks, and I will be turning my back on him.

If you hate a guy so much you are willing to still go watch him wrestles and actively turn your back to him, I'd say he's pretty over.

Above that they announce the 31st member of the battle royal:
haha, a few days ago people here argued all day with me about how WWE wasn't going global. Like Raw and Smackdown is the pinnacle WWE could or would want to attain in this world.

Also this is the first year WM is airing live in China with Chinese commentary.

Can't wait for the China PC and China NXT on the Network in the next two years.

Hex

Banned
Bray vs Randy - I would like Bray to win even if it takes the whole family, ideally debut Bo into the family

Goldberg vs Brock - Could not care less. Make it quick.

Shane vs Styles - Usual Shane gimmicks, Van Daminator - skippy dancing punches - suicide drop. Styles will carry him. I want to see Styles go over and continue punishing Shane until Angle's music hits and he makes the save.

Reigns vs Taker - - Would not make sense for Taker to go over. If there is any good booking left Reigns will go ham and manhandle Taker while smiling with the crowd going molten hot. Will probably instead be a chair fest with lots of rest holds and kick outs.

Miz/Maryse vs John Cena/Nikki Bella - Miz and Maryse should go over, Cena on his knee after would give the feel good even with the loss. In my personal booking Nikki would say no and the place will no nuts.

Seth vs Trips - Seth needs to win this, to make it big the Sheild should play into it which makes me think that Taker/Reigns and Jericho/Owens will go on early. Could always play the Joe run in countered by Finn.

Jericho vs Owens - we know that Jericho is taking some time off, so they can either write him off here or on Raw the next night. For story purposes Jericho should go over perhaps with help and then lose the belt the next night. Help could be Zayne or Finn.

Ambrose vs Corbin - Hell give Corbin the belt, let him work with it for a bit. Dean doesn't need it.

Bayley vs Sasha vs Charlotte vs Nia - I would give the belt to Nia, have Charlotte enter a program with Dana and Sasha and Bayley do their thing. BUT I think in this one they give Bayley her Mania moment.

Club v Enzo and Cass v Cesaro and Sheamus - Ideally I would leave the belts on the club. Enzo and Cass could go over. Depends on how soon Hardys are coming.

Smackdown Women - seems they wil go for the cheap feel good with Naomi. Personally I love the hell out of Bliss, and still think that Becky Lynch deserves more love.

Andre royal - Big Show is retiring soon, will probably be him. Would love to see Shaq come down and cost him the match and then give Zayne the feel good crowd win.

Neville v Aries - Will be amazing, can't call it. Neville has never been better.

norm9

Looking through the lineup, I'd like Reigns Taker to close the show with Roman winning with fireworks and the whole nine yards.

Bray vs Randy - I would like Bray to win even if it takes the whole family, ideally debut Bo into the family

Goldberg vs Brock - Could not care less. Make it quick.

Shane vs Styles - Usual Shane gimmicks, Van Daminator - skippy dancing punches - suicide drop. Styles will carry him. I want to see Styles go over and continue punishing Shane until Angle's music hits and he makes the save.

Reigns vs Taker - - Would not make sense for Taker to go over. If there is any good booking left Reigns will go ham and manhandle Taker while smiling with the crowd going molten hot. Will probably instead be a chair fest with lots of rest holds and kick outs.

Miz/Maryse vs John Cena/Nikki Bella - Miz and Maryse should go over, Cena on his knee after would give the feel good even with the loss. In my personal booking Nikki would say no and the place will no nuts.

Seth vs Trips - Seth needs to win this, to make it big the Sheild should play into it which makes me think that Taker/Reigns and Jericho/Owens will go on early. Could always play the Joe run in countered by Finn.

Jericho vs Owens - we know that Jericho is taking some time off, so they can either write him off here or on Raw the next night. For story purposes Jericho should go over perhaps with help and then lose the belt the next night. Help could be Zayne or Finn.

Ambrose vs Corbin - Hell give Corbin the belt, let him work with it for a bit. Dean doesn't need it.

Bayley vs Sasha vs Charlotte vs Nia - I would give the belt to Nia, have Charlotte enter a program with Dana and Sasha and Bayley do their thing. BUT I think in this one they give Bayley her Mania moment.

Club v Enzo and Cass v Cesaro and Sheamus - Ideally I would leave the belts on the club. Enzo and Cass could go over. Depends on how soon Hardys are coming.

Smackdown Women - seems they wil go for the cheap feel good with Naomi. Personally I love the hell out of Bliss, and still think that Becky Lynch deserves more love.

Andre royal - Big Show is retiring soon, will probably be him. Would love to see Shaq come down and cost him the match and then give Zayne the feel good crowd win.

Neville v Aries - Will be amazing, can't call it. Neville has never been better.

Love this the only change for me is I wanna see Braun or Mojo win the BR cause I have them in my pool.

Chopper

If you hate a guy so much you are willing to still go watch him wrestles and actively turn your back to him, I'd say he's pretty over.
As a poor individual who lives in the UK, I get the opportunity to see WWE live rarely. I have paid for Raw tickets despite Roman being at the show. I love enough about everything else to justify the cash. He's not over with me. He's an awful character. Turn him heel (proper heel, not Liu Kang's imaginary meta heel thing), and I might show a bit of interest.

You missed my point: what's the chance Roman, in any booking scenario, no matter how great, wouldn't be the heel against Styles, Owens, or Jericho to a young male audience? Has he ever come out in 2016 and not been the most booed guy on any show? You think they're oblivious to this or not working with it?
Then why are they editing the crowd reactions in replays? All those guys you mention are/were heels. They're supposed to be bad guys. Roman was pitted against them as the heroic good guy. The face. I mean, sure, they get cheered by wrestling fans because they're awesome and charismatic, but effective storylines and booking can alter that. Look at the heat Owens got after the Festival of Friendship.

pbayne

Last years line-up looked bad on paper. The turned out to be even worse on the night. Plus it was weird fuck the fans booking of all the baddies winning or fan favorites losing.

I think this year looks no where near that level at least on paper. It at least looks pretty mediocre so maybe it'll surpass expectations like mania 31.

By the logic of Roman is a heel because he's being booed then Rocky Maivia was the biggest heel in the WWF in early 1997.

Well, chicks dig him.

Y2jNwgS.gif

Still not sure they weren't plants (and I could swear I've seen the blonde and the one in the middle before) but this is the sort of thing that should be played up with a Roman Reigns if they really wanted him to be a heel.

By the logic of Roman is a heel because he's being booed then Rocky Maivia was the biggest heel in the WWF in early 1997.

Y2jNwgS.gif

Still not sure they weren't plants (and I could swear I've seen the blonde and the one in the middle before) but this is the sort of thing that should be played up with a Roman Reigns if they really wanted him to be a heel.

Of course they were plants!!!!!!!!!!

Just think about it.

I remember the previous year people were hoping Roman got a push after the Batista rumble. Whoops.
there was nothing special about Roman or Batista in those moments, they were just seen as the chosen corporate golden boys getting in the way of Bryan's push,

It wasn't "we want Roman" it was more "anyone but Batista" and then Vince didn't learn his lesson and repeated it with Reigns.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
there was nothing special about Roman or Batista in those moments, they were just seen as the chosen corporate golden boys getting in the way of Bryan's push,

It wasn't "we want Roman" it was more "anyone but Batista" and then Vince didn't learn his lesson and repeated it with Reigns.

The part of wrestling people like is that being scripted means you can easily include the unpredictability that excites people about real combat sports. When it becomes writing on the wall, people will get pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom