• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

Nudull

Banned
You ever have one of those times where you have a fully realized world but can't seem to get a solid, fitting plot down?

That's pretty much me and my sci-fi project, right now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Manga and comics have influenced my writing so much.
This.

It's not hard to one-up the literary elements of manga and comics, but the more appealing aspects bleed through.

Mike M

Nick N
I have a pretty dire view on prose inspired by manga and anime, I can count the number of times I've seen it done well one hand and have five fingers left over. Strip out all the terrible tropes, pacing, delivery, and everything else that doesn't work, and any appealing aspects that remaining I could ascribe to the style are certainly not ones unique or originating with manga anime.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I have a pretty dire view on prose inspired by manga and anime, I can count the number of times I've seen it done well one hand and have five fingers left over. Strip out all the terrible tropes, pacing, delivery, and everything else that doesn't work, and any appealing aspects that remaining I could ascribe to the style are certainly not ones unique or originating with manga anime.

Mike, when you get down to it, What's the difference in the power of friendship overcoming the prejudice of small towns and it slaying an evil death god on a floating cross? I think you'll find our two cultures aren't too different after all.

Nudull

Banned
Part of the problem with drawing from manga and anime is that, more often than not, it leads to some cringe-inducing cultural appropriation. That, or the work usually comes off as tacky and trying too hard to get hip with the youngsters.

For every "Avatar: The Last Airbender", there are ten "My Life Me"s.

FlowersisBritish

I would actually say the biggest problem is that things come off weirdly foreign as you use concepts normal people don't actually think about in your given region. Sure, you can have a hearfelt battle where two characters are shouting out philosophies and fists and while someone like me might think that's cool, a normal person is thinking 'That ain't how a fight works'

oh man, you guys are scaring me

i've started slowly getting back to an old nanowrimo thing and want to get it cleaned up in the coming . . . soon

but most of my media consumption is anime and manga and this thing is 100% influenced by that

Nudull

Banned

i've started slowly getting back to an old nanowrimo thing and want to get it cleaned up in the coming . . . soon

but most of my media consumption is anime and manga and this thing is 100% influenced by that

I mean, I'm not saying that it couldn't work. It's just that it takes a certain amount of restraint, understsnding and sensitivity towards your sources. Don't just slap on anime stuff because it's "foreign/exotic and cool".

zulux21

my writing is totally anime/manga inspired too, but I really don't care about mainstream appeal. I really am just hoping that someone somewhere in the world will enjoy my story when I get it told :p

Delio

The story ive been working on for the longest is transforming Heroes so it has it's anime roots. I will totally have to find an audience for it but I dont want to get rid of the vibe it has.

zulux21

The story ive been working on for the longest is transforming Heroes so it has it's anime roots. I will totally have to find an audience for it but I dont want to get rid of the vibe it has.

my original version was very based off naruto.. that was back 12+ years ago and while it had some good ideas the entire combat system had to be scrapped.
the new version is quite a bit different. Still follows people with powers, but a lot of the story doesn't have combat at all (though to be fair I got away from a lot of combat in the original version as well because I started feeling yelling out attacks was dumb :p), and there are no attack names or anything like that.

I also feel like it would be a good idea to make a note of a few people in here, as feedback from those who are influenced/enjoy manga/anime is what I will eventually want because that is who I am most likely to appeal to.

Delio

my original version was very based off naruto.. that was back 12+ years ago and while it had some good ideas the entire combat system had to be scrapped.
the new version is quite a bit different. Still follows people with powers, but a lot of the story doesn't have combat at all (though to be fair I got away from a lot of combat in the original version as well because I started feeling yelling out attacks was dumb :p), and there are no attack names or anything like that.

I also feel like it would be a good idea to make a note of a few people in here, as feedback from those who are influenced/enjoy manga/anime is what I will eventually want because that is who I am most likely to appeal to.

Mine is very Magical girl like so im having to make it more western and avoid a lot of the tropes.The calling out attacks thing im writing around by coming up with fancy sounding spells they can yell out.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't think I'd ever in my right mind put an attack name in a novel.

Unless it was the name for a sports play or something.

SolVanderlyn

Mizuki looked across the field to where the enemy ninjas gathered in their hundreds, surrounded by the machinery of war, the great Red Banner flapping at their head. She looked at her own squad, quiet but determined, knowing they could not possibly win but ready to try at her command. She ought to want to stop and think. To try to find another way. But there was no other way. Somehow, she had always known that.

She unsheathed her katana, took a deep breath, and shouted. "Red dog! Red dog! 21! Hut hut! Hike!"
Hahahaha

Now I want a ninja sports novel.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm listening to a novel set in a planet where "sports" refers to a single competitive game where two opponents stand at the center of the ring and whomever can slap the other the most wins the round.

Those familiar with my stance on sportsball and its various permutations can probably imagine my cackling at that.

FlowersisBritish

Jeeeeeez today has been a long day off. I spent most of it writing, trying to finish a long short story that turned out waaaaaaay longer than it was supposed to. It's not even that good. I was determined to be done with it, and low and behold, 4,500 words later and my entire day, I have what I am pretty sure is the longest short story I've ever written at a little over 8,000. And in the backlog to be forgotten it goes!

Revisiting some areas of my novel that I thought might contain some problems, but now I"m questioning my earlier questions. I'm also not in the mood to restructure these handful of paragraphs, which is maybe making my choice of, "eh it works if you think about it a bit" all the more enticing.

I asked one of my beta readers if she had a problem with the area and was surprised when I told her I thought it didn't work for a few reasons. My other beta reader said the same, though a third one thinks it could be fixed up.

SO basically I dunno what to do D:

Does anybody know all the game news sites that pay?
Every month I look through each review thread, but it really comes down to the ones I already knew of: Gamespot, Gamesradar, IGN, Polygon, and Kotaku.

I've been writing for free for a while, but damn I need to eat and this is really the only thing I have experience in so I feel I have a better chance applying for editing jobs than a lot of the other jobs in my vicinity.

Has anyone heard of Chris Fox? His books Write to Market and 5,000 Words Per Hour sound really interesting. I haven't read them yet, but I did download his excel spreadsheet to try and help increase my WPH. I've seen him pop up on kboards and I was listening to The Rocking Self-Publishing Podcast and he was being interviewed. I was curious if anyone else had heard/read about him.

Not until now, but thanks for posting this. Listened to two of the interviews with him and it all sounds very interesting

Mike M

Nick N
Got another kind of second tier form rejection letter encouraging me to polish it and submit it elsewhere and to submit something else another time.

Movin' on up in the world.

Does anybody know all the game news sites that pay?
Every month I look through each review thread, but it really comes down to the ones I already knew of: Gamespot, Gamesradar, IGN, Polygon, and Kotaku.

I've been writing for free for a while, but damn I need to eat and this is really the only thing I have experience in so I feel I have a better chance applying for editing jobs than a lot of the other jobs in my vicinity.

Don't know if you saw the actual job listing, but Kotaku is hiring a staff writer right now, BP. Not sure where you're located, but worth a shot maybe.

Staff Writer

zulux21

Don't know if you saw the actual job listing, but Kotaku is hiring a staff writer right now, BP. Not sure where you're located, but worth a shot maybe.

Staff Writer

im surprised they are hiring anyone given the results of the hulk hogan trail and the fact that there is a decent chance gawker media is going to go under because of it. Guess they are banking on the appeal going better even though they were clearly in the wrong for that case.

FlowersisBritish

Coming back to the last stretch of my first novel. Oh god, why didn't I work on it for like three weeks? Coming back after so long is so hard. Everything is a fumble as I try to build momentum. Also my coffee tastes bad, I can't seem to win.

Edit: Nvm found my momentum. Like riding a bicycle. A shittly made bicycle falling apart as I ride it but still technically going forward so whatever.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
Finished my first novel at the start of the year - polished it up a bit and now considering sending it off to some agents/publishers. I'll likely self-publish it but we'll see.

I'm wondering whether I should send it off for editing - how many of you regularly editors? Or do you do it yourself?

Been reading this thread for a while and it's always great to see people's progress.

Finished my first novel at the start of the year - polished it up a bit and now considering sending it off to some agents/publishers. I'll likely self-publish it but we'll see.

I'm wondering whether I should send it off for editing - how many of you regularly editors? Or do you do it yourself?

Been reading this thread for a while and it's always great to see people's progress.

Congrats! That's totally awesome!

I used a writing group, tightened up to just 4 members. All of us were working on novels, so the process included edits as well as thematic/character/etc. comments. You generally need to find the right people who can commit the time, though.

I'd recommend hiring someone to do the edit, if you can afford them. Several folks in here likely have recommendations. Bottom line is that it doesn't matter how many times you've read your own stuff, another set of eyes is always necessary. Always.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
Congrats! That's totally awesome!

I used a writing group, tightened up to just 4 members. All of us were working on novels, so the process included edits as well as thematic/character/etc. comments. You generally need to find the right people who can commit the time, though.

I'd recommend hiring someone to do the edit, if you can afford them. Several folks in here likely have recommendations. Bottom line is that it doesn't matter how many times you've read your own stuff, another set of eyes is always necessary. Always.

Thanks! Yeah I submitted the first few chapters to Critique Circle and got some great feedback today. Suspect I will need to stump up for an editor based on that so if anyone has any other suggestions aside from the editors listed in the original post that would be great.

I do my own editing, but I have a degree in English, so my grammar skills are pretty good when I need them to be.

I also draft my novels four or five times, giving me ample opportunity to prove that above sentence wrong!

If you do go with an editor, just remember that you get what you pay for.

Edit: And congrats on getting this far in your book!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

I highly, highly encourage you to hire a professional. I can recommend Richard Shealy (not sure if you write SF/F, though.) If you're interested, I wrote to some length about my experience self-publishing my book, including my experience with hiring an editor.

Mediking

Writing two stories:

1: A guy in college who doesn't really know what he wants in life.... suddenly lose his parents in a fatal accident. In the will, his parents leave him a business to run. The business will change his life.... I'm really excited for this.

2: Mature medieval story starring an older female bounty hunter. Also really excited for this. If anybody wanna any, lemme know.

Sucks when an agent requests to see more of your manuscript and then rejects you two months later with a form letter. Come on guys, you wanted ME to send you stuff; you could at least be a little sorry :(

Sucks when an agent requests to see more of your manuscript and then rejects you two months later with a form letter. Come on guys, you wanted ME to send you stuff; you could at least be a little sorry :(

I'd be hot as hell. No one has ever asked to see my manuscript so if someone did I'd get excited as hell, but then to get turned down.... Shit, I'd probably throw a tantrum. No lie!

I'd be hot as hell. No one has ever asked to see my manuscript so if someone did I'd get excited as hell, but then to get turned down.... Shit, I'd probably throw a tantrum. No lie!
This is the fourth time I've gone through this, so right now it's just a mix of sighing/shrugging/shots

On a more positive note, my second novel is done. 298 pages and 83,787 words.

FlowersisBritish

This is the fourth time I've gone through this, so right now it's just a mix of sighing/shrugging/shots

On a more positive note, my second novel is done. 298 pages and 83,787 words.

Ah man, i read that and felt echoes of how bummed that must have made you. Side note: I demand a synopsis of this second novel.

Ah man, i read that and felt echoes of how bummed that must have made you. Side note: I demand a synopsis of this second novel.
Sure, though I'm not sure how I'll ultimately approach it. Something like:

At first it's just a dream, a byproduct of Norbert's new antidepressants. He's in a library filled with thousands of books, each one written in some kind of made-up language. He explores because there's nothing else to do, and finds a book with a series of patterns. One even has an English word by it. He traces it for later.

The next day, bored in his history class, Norbert draws the rune and speaks the word. His notebook erupts into flames. He has found magic.

Norbert returns to the library every time he falls asleep, though he quickly finds that the place isn't empty. Monsters hide in the shadows, and beyond them all is the Librarian himself, the owner of all the spellbooks. He is unhappy having intruders in his place of study.

As Norbert continues to take his antidepressants, his waking life gets better; his depression lessons. However, each night the library grows more and more dangerous, until he's faced with a choice: stop taking his medication and go back to hating himself, or keep taking his medication and face the dangers waiting for him when he sleeps. Of course, escaping the Librarian might not be as easy as he thinks.

Or something like that. That's kinda the basic premise but also not exactly. The book is way more introspective than action-heavy, with Norbert's biggest challenges being himself and not what he finds. Hell, the library stays fairly safe for the first chunk of the book, monsters and talking spiders included. It's a strangely paced book because of that, so I'm not sure how I"ll approach the real version of this. I don't want to lie (which I sorta did here).

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
I highly, highly encourage you to hire a professional. I can recommend Richard Shealy (not sure if you write SF/F, though.) If you're interested, I wrote to some length about my experience self-publishing my book, including my experience with hiring an editor.

Thanks for this, will definitely check these out.

Also to anyone on the fence about Critique Circle, I'd definitely recommend it - had three critiques in total for the chapters I put up and it was a great way to get constructive feedback.

Dresden

Spend nearly two weeks working on something, approach what you think is light as you keep revising, then stumble across a flaw that you can't stop thinking about. An alternative pops up, but it requires re-hauling the last 1/3 of the thing. There's no end.

edit: then it turns out there is, hallelujah, god be praised.

Fourth novel is going much slower than the other ones. I managed to write my third one in 4 months, but this one will take years if I don't pick up the pace. I also feel like these characterizations are incredibly weak compared to my other works. Bah!

That reminds me, I have not gone back to work on my novel since I made that post about that problem I was having with my plot. I feel like I'm juggling too many things at the moment and am not sure which needs to be prioritized. Other than this novel I am writing for two websites, writing a short story for a contest, drawing, writing a game design document, making a game, composing music for my game, and working.

zulux21

Finally got unstuck on my novel edit tonight, by writing a new 1000 word scene instead of trying to clean up the old one. Hopefully this will carry over into editing the next bits. :)

No one tell Mike M.

I got stuck for a bit myself, ended up doing nearly 2k words last night, won't get anything done today, but maybe tomorrow during my baseball game, if not thursday night.

I was thinking about changing some details and with one of the changes it would make it so the characters had a month to get away from something instead of a week, which would allow for other things to happen so I was stalled out debating if I wanted to do something with one character.

the other things I had been stalled on was the idea of completely removing one of my main characters from my story (not a full on main, but not as low as a side character, maybe secondary main, not sure what the right term is) I think I can move almost all of his roles to other people. though it would require reworking the planned ending a bit, but that isn't a big deal. I decided that I didn't want to go back and rewrite things without him right now, so I would just continue on my rewrite and only include him when I feel he is actually needed. Even though he was the second character I created for this story though, and have been working on him for 12+ years, I think he might not be needed which is just crazy :p

that will teach me to flesh out other characters to give them more depth to only realize they can cover stuff another character is doing :p

Nudull

Banned
Been on a serious sci-fi kick, lately. It's weird, since I never really considered myself the sci-fi type until very recently. Trying to figure out what I would want to write or do that hasn't been done by someone else a million times over is a challenge.

Mike M

Nick N
Finally got unstuck on my novel edit tonight, by writing a new 1000 word scene instead of trying to clean up the old one. Hopefully this will carry over into editing the next bits. :)

No one tell Mike M.
I'll just write the full 5K and say you did some of it.

Top Bottom