• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Begins Distributing Software Kit for NX (Console + Handheld units)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holiday 2016 sounds about right in-line with zelda wiiu, retro tile and pikmin 4.
They can even have a version of starfox running much better on the nx due to the problems with running the game on both screens using wii u.

So a Twilight Princess like release is possible. Would also explain why they are so silent about the Wii U Zelda.

The road to a new console is so exciting. Can't wait to see what the NX is. Don't think it'll be as powerful as the PS4/One because that would drive the costs up. And how powerful will the handheld be? Exciting :)

NoKisum

So by this time next year, we should see some amazing looking stuff from third parties on NX hardware, right?

Just my guess on what the new platform is packing:

AMD x86 SoC with 4-6 gb or DDR3, same CPU as PS4 and Xbox. GPU will be slightly behind or matching Xbox One in computational performance.

Wiimote will have custom Qualcomm SoC (Snapdragon 808 + Adreno 420). Maybe Samsung Exynos?!

Either way this console will make it possible for game developers to port their titles onto the Nintendo platform without having to make huge sacrifices.

Hanmik

I just talked to a veteran in gaming.. I asked him what the Industry Leading Chips in gaming were right now.. he told me..

gh95vpW.jpg

sinxtanx

Unsurprising for anyone who has followed along, but nice to hear none the less.

and a new buzzphrase "INDUSTRY-LEADING CHIPS"

Fandangox

I can feel a collective "told ya so" coming.

The writing was on the wall but still so many refuse to believe it. Hope it does well enough I'll never have to get a PS4 for JRPGs

I highly doubt Nintendo's next console successor would have a monopoly on JPRGs, it will likely be shared duty with the PS4 and whatever the Handheld version of the NX is.

Herbs

Banned
How do people get hyped for Nintendo hardware anymore after like 11-12 years of misery?

I guess maybe theres the hope of "this time... for sure!!", but then I can't imagine ever early adopting again after ambassador programs and "the actual model we were supposed to make" releases.

They're going to have to knock it out of the park this time if they're serious about staying in hardware.

Meh, I've been really happy with my WiiU and the gaming experience it offers. I love Nintendo even for all of their many many many many, almost too many to count faults.

It's easy to get hyped when anticipating the new system. I'm sure it will be a let down in ways but that's half the fun of this whole thing. Get excited and then come back down to reality and realize what they offered is still pretty killer

Air

Banned
The two form factors were expected, certainly. I've also been expecting leading mobile parts, but if they have leading console parts, that would be different than what I had envisioned (a home version of the handheld essentially).

At that point, I assume they're less one platform in the iOS sense and more one platform in the Windows 10 sense.

I will be very excited if this is the case. There's a ton of possibilities for Nintendo to grow.

georly

OK, so let me get this straight, we're basically getting two systems, both with a unified OS/toolkit. One to replace 3DS, one to replace Wii U, both with top-of-the-line chipsets.

We're now expecting NX launch next year.

Here's my question:

Both handheld NX and console NX same year/same day? Handheld 2016, console 2017? Any indication of how they'll be staggered? Both same day sounds like suicide, but will we get both next year?

maxcriden

Holiday 2016 sounds about right in-line with zelda wiiu, retro tile and pikmin 4.
They can even have a version of starfox running much better on the nx due to the problems with running the game on both screens using wii u.

Unfortunately, it seems they are more pleased with SF running on both screens. I don't think we'll soon see a port. Unless the delay is more extensive than they're indicating. I think they will have to shift focus to other projects and even other ports. They seem pretty happy with SF running on both screens as is.

Pikmin 4 I think ... hmm, it could be NX. I previously assumed Wii U.

As to Zelda, Retro, I think we'll also see a Mario launch game or near-launch like with SMG. :)

So a Twilight Princess like release is possible. Would also explain why they are so silent about the Wii U Zelda.

Highly likely, yes, unless Zelda U strongly leverages the GamePad. Even still, it's hard to believe it won't be x-platform at this point.

antonz

Begins distributing now?

Isn't a year too short for launch games?

Or were they distributed last year

Year is just fine. They would be looking more at making sure to nab Fall 2016 titles than all new titles. I mean a disaster of SDK would cause issues but if they really are going to make it as easy as possible for standard industry engines should be ok

Begins distributing now?

Isn't a year too short for launch games?

Or were they distributed last year

I think, at this point, it really depends on how well their SDK integrates with middleware like Unity and UE4. How good is the Visual Studio integration? Is the documentation robust this time?

That little snippet from their dev portal makes it sound like they are taking developer support seriously this time (after Wii U nightmare stories of having to wait weeks for an answer out of Japan). I want to believe...

JoeM86

Chances are that the launch of home console and handheld NX forms will be staggered anyway, and works well with the different specs.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the portable variant will be out next year but home console one won't be until 2017

OK, so let me get this straight, we're basically getting two systems, both with a unified OS/toolkit. One to replace 3DS, one to replace Wii U, both with top-of-the-line chipsets.

Here's my question:

Both handheld NX and console NX same year/same day? Handheld 2016, console 2017? Any indication of how they'll be staggered? Both same day sounds like suicide, but will we get both next year?

Console business is currently performing significantly worse than their handheld business. Guess which one they would want to refresh first?

Chase17

How do people get hyped for Nintendo hardware anymore after like 11-12 years of misery?

I guess maybe theres the hope of "this time... for sure!!", but then I can't imagine ever early adopting again after ambassador programs and "the actual model we were supposed to make" releases.

They're going to have to knock it out of the park this time if they're serious about staying in hardware.

The majority of my favorite games of the past 11-12 years came from this "misery" so naturally I am excited for the next platform. I get why people don't like the Wii U, but I've been more than happy with the purchase of it.

Raiden

Banned

Damn i'd genuinly lose my shit if all that launched. Imagine Nintendo just slaying it with Zelda, Mario, a new Rogue Leader and then to top it all that shit a full blown Pokemon RPG ala the handhelds. All released with Nintendo quality graphics on the most powerful console with a decent OS and online system.

I'd genuinly lose my shit and im 28 years old and have not really cared about games the last decade.

maxcriden

Here's my question:

I think Neoxon (he can correct me if I'm wrong) has long speculated NX will see a handheld release in JP first, and a console release in NA first, to try to capitalize on the preferred game system format of each market. With that said, I don't really know what to think. I agree launching both same day could be a mistake, but Nintendo will also want to urge players to be strongly aware of both systems. I think there's a good argument to be made for either coming first to a market. You can say, hey, you like NX? Here's NX on the go! Like--here's the new generation of Nintendo consoles! Very exciting! Now get the handheld! Or, maybe--here's our big new handheld! Now play it on a big screen! (a la Smash 3DS --> Wii U). So it really remains to be seen. It's tough to predict.

Mory Dunz

Developers often work on games before SDKs are available and then shift over. Besides, all signs point to a Q4 2016 release for the NX at the earliest.

Thanks for the responses.^

Yeah, if they don't get the main ports next fall, this system is over before it began tbh. At least in the west.

NR1

This sounds exactly like what he WiiU-3DS should have been. Rather than a Wii U pad, the 3DS should have been the controller for the WiiU. Games play on both systems. Play at home or on the go.

Nintendo has been screwing with this idea for years. The GCN-GBA linking was the first signs of this concept. Make it finally happen, please.

Rosur

Here's my question:

No one knows atm (apart from people at Nintendo) but I doubt its both at the same time, I think it will be Console version next year (due to how the Wii U is doing) then Handled the year after.

thefro

I think, at this point, it really depends on how well their SDK integrates with middleware like Unity and UE4. How good is the Visual Studio integration? Is the documentation robust this time?

That little snippet from their dev portal makes it sound like they are taking developer support seriously this time (after Wii U nightmare stories of having to wait weeks for an answer out of Japan). I want to believe...

DQ XI is running on UE4, so it's likely that and Unity at least are already lined up.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If they are sending out devkits now a Holiday 2016 launch is practically guaranteed.

It's nice to see confirmed the existence of multiple devices using the same development environment, as it was already hinted by Nintendo. I was expecting multiple console configs, but multiple handheld config are fine too.

El Sabroso

Looks like Zelda U really will pull out a twilight princess, and we have to hold that TPHD instead this holiday on the Wii U. So that could bring the Wii U as the first Nintendo home console with no new The Legend of Zelda entries. Obviously not counting Hyrule warriors since is more a musou game.

Xater

Thanks for the responses.^

Yeah, if they don't get the main ports next fall, this system is over before it began tbh. At least in the west.

They are still going to run into the same problem they did with the Wii U. No one is going to pick the new thing up for third party games. The majority of people already own a console that can play those. It will again have to stand on first party efforts alone.

Pikmin 4 I think ... hmm, it could be NX. I previously assumed Wii U.
I think it's pretty safe to assume nintendo thought the same, if in June/July the game was nearly finished they clearly had wii u in mind but i'm guessing the fact that they chose to not show both zelda and pikmin 4 at e3 clearly shows they were thinking of their next platform for both titles.
Maybe that's why they only told one source about pikmin4 in one interview before quickly stopping any mention of the title and telling the interviewer not to publish the news, i think the only reason we heard about it might have been to do with certain contracts regarding publication running out.
they probably quickly did a 180 and decided wii u was not worth it in the long run and to focus on NX instead.

Twilight princess showing up out of nowhere also strongly hints that wii u owners will get that next year to tide them over until the holidays when nx releases.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I enjoyed nintendo's software output in the last decade. I'm curious what hardware that software will run on.

I don't even care if they match ps4 or not.

Meh, I've been really happy with my WiiU and the gaming experience it offers. I love Nintendo even for all of their many many many many, almost too many to count faults.

It's easy to get hyped when anticipating the new system. I'm sure it will be a let down in ways but that's half the fun of this whole thing. Get excited and then come back down to reality and realize what they offered is still pretty killer

The majority of my favorite games of the past 11-12 years came from this "misery" so naturally I am excited for the next platform. I get why people don't like the Wii U, but I've been more than happy with the purchase of it.

Yeah I said hardware. Its just after 11-12 years of having to buy crap hardware to enjoy their still sterling software, that "tax" is wearing remarkably thin.

It would be great if the NX was a return to feeling like I was getting my moneys worth in hardware that was left behind with the Gamecube. Paying £200 just to play Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon and ultimately have a new dust magnet pile it up hasn't been a swell feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom