• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Begins Distributing Software Kit for NX (Console + Handheld units)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so let me get this straight, we're basically getting two systems, both with a unified OS/toolkit. One to replace 3DS, one to replace Wii U, both with top-of-the-line chipsets.

We're now expecting NX launch next year.

Here's my question:

Both handheld NX and console NX same year/same day? Handheld 2016, console 2017? Any indication of how they'll be staggered? Both same day sounds like suicide, but will we get both next year?

Honestly, I think its one of two things:

Option 1:
One console, that is a handheld but has HDMI/Wireless dock out, so its like a Wii U in reverse. All the hardware is in the handheld, and the receiver sits by the TV for when you're home.

Option 2:
Its two systems, but plays the same games. Perhaps.. its like a PC so the game can 'change' spec depending on the system. Handheld spec (lower res graphics mode), and TV spec (high res graphics mode). Lots of Devs are used to this now, making multiple res texture sets etc

Clefargle

If this turns out to be true, I'm gonna go make a wall of shame for all the Hybrid deniers that were so sure in all the NX threads. This will be fun.

antonz

That Taiwanese Article from july this year may have been accurate after all. They mentioned that in October Nintendo would do some test production. May have been referencing Dev Kit stuff or of course just a coincidence

ElTopo

Banned
Realistically, how likely is it that the big publishers will port the must-buy franchises (COD, Madden, etc) to the NX?

I just don't see how successful it can be unless Nintendo has some serious tricks up their sleeve.

Somnid

Wonder if the "handheld" portion will have WiFi and/or 4G LTE to play online, or if you'll only be able to play online on the main console.

Unless they have a specific service lined-up for all owners I'm thinking, no. Cellular SKUs of tablets and other devices sell poorly. People begrudgingly buy service for their phones.

Chase17

Handheld is also nearly 2 years older. *shrug*

I have no idea what will release first (console/portable nx), but I'm rather excited for 3ds in 2016. Games wise there is a lot I'm looking forward to (not quit the legendary year that 2013 was though).

JoeM86

Honestly, I think its one of two things:

Option 1:
One console, that is a handheld but has HDMI/Wireless dock out, so its like a Wii U in reverse. All the hardware is in the handheld, and the receiver sits by the TV for when you're home.

Option 2:
Its two systems, but plays the same games. Perhaps.. its like a PC so the game can 'change' spec depending on the system. Handheld spec (lower res graphics mode), and TV spec (high res graphics mode). Lots of Devs are used to this now, making multiple res texture sets etc

It's not option 1. That's a hybrid and is exactly what Iwata said it isn't.

Mory Dunz

They are still going to run into the same problem they did with the Wii U. No one is going to pick the new thing up for third party games. The majority of people already own a console that can play those. It will again have to stand on first party efforts alone.

It can help supplement at least.

Like, they can't afford to miss another mine craft. That's one that definitely would've sold for them.

antonz

Realistically, how likely is it that the big publishers will port the must-buy franchises (COD, Madden, etc) to the NX?

I just don't see how successful it can be unless Nintendo has some serious tricks up their sleeve.

For launch as long as its not a disaster system from the get go they will go in for the launch window when software sales are strong. How long the support lasts is upto gamers and the systems strengths

They do this to appeal to the critics who keep stressing that game consoles only compete in terms of graphics, when Nintendo's posture has always been far from that. Ok then....

Their philosophy has been and always will be gameplay first, but I don't think it's superficial that in light of 3DS and Wii U's hardware failures they now concretely recognize that you have to have comparable hardware power in order to garner the 3rd party support necessary to fill out their library.

I wonder if that article encourages more rumors/leaks, now that there are some pretty legit infos.

Paying £200 just to play Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon and ultimately have a new dust magnet pile it up hasn't been a swell feeling.
Well ... don't buy it? There is always a chance of a remaster/re-release/BC on the next console.

For many late PS3 games, you didn't have to buy the PS3 versions, Last of Us, Dark Souls 2, GTA ... could always happen here.

Z3M0G

What I'm hoping for:

- A console unit
- A "phone" unit (touch screen only)
- A traditional controller that can be used with BOTH the console and phone, and the phone can be mounted to the controller by default (no attachment needed)
- buy a game once, play it on BOTH platforms
- cloud storage of save data. Delivering the "take your game on the go" promise that Sony never delivered with the Vita/PS3

maxcriden

I think it's pretty safe to assume nintendo thought the same, if in June/July the game was nearly finished they clearly had wii u in mind but i'm guessing the fact that they chose to not show both zelda and pikmin 4 at e3 clearly shows they were thinking of their next platform for both titles.

Twilight princess showing up out of nowhere also strongly hints that wii u owners will get that next year to tide them over until the holidays when nx releases.

...Yeah, that makes sense to me, for sure. Good point! :)

The only thing I wonder about is if Nintendo will launch much in the way of Wii U software before then, next year, beyond StarFox.

P.S. maybe the next Rayman game can be a launch title. And not have a terrible last world!!

We honestly have no idea. It depends on if the publishers + Nintendo think it's worth it. It's hard to picture people picking up an NX and Madden because it hasn't been an idea to consider for gamers in a long while.

Sadist

I imagine we'll get one test version during launch. Everything after those releases is up in the air.

SighFight

I have no idea what will release first, but I'm rather excited for 3ds in 2016. Games wise there is a lot I'm looking forward to (not quit the legendary year that 2013 was though).

Imagine the "new" 3DS beeing already compatible to the NX operating system and updatable. You will be able to play NX games from the get go :)

georly

But as a business, they would want to optimize their revenue flow. At the same time, their handheld business is also dying a fast death now too.

it'll die even faster once they smell the money from their mobile division. A lot of games that might have been budget/eshop titles might skip the dedicated handheld for mobile next gen.

Griss

Where there's smoke there's fire. The great NX watch of 15/16 has officially begun.

Good to see that all us Nintendo fans were on the right track with the 1 OS / 2 consoles theory.

Boi-oi-oi-oing

I laughed. This was my initial reaction to the OP, alright.

How do people get hyped for Nintendo hardware anymore after like 11-12 years of misery?

I guess maybe theres the hope of "this time... for sure!!", but then I can't imagine ever early adopting again after ambassador programs and "the actual model we were supposed to make" releases.

They're going to have to knock it out of the park this time if they're serious about staying in hardware.

Because unlike the other two console makers, you never know what bizarre / wild shit Nintendo will pull, so they're actually fun to anticipate. I also love the Wii and Wii U, so I haven't been let down at all. Purple Lunchbox -> TV Remote -> Gamepad monstrosity -> ?????. Admit it, you have to be curious.

Chances are that the launch of home console and handheld NX forms will be staggered anyway, and works well with the different specs.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the portable variant will be out next year but home console one won't be until 2017

I think that's a strong possibility. No doubt that the 3DS needs replacing ASAP, so that has to come first.

Peltz

I imagine we'll get one test version during launch. Everything after those releases is up in the air.

Unfortunately, I think this is true. They will likely have unfair benchmarks for those versions as well. We've seen how that's gone in the past on Wii U.

Guys. Leading parts doesnt mean leading in performance. You might get more recent parts but thats it. Dont expect sth beyond Xbox One for the NX console and dont expect sth more than twice/thrice the Vita for the NX handheld.

Clefargle

Wonder if the "handheld" portion will have WiFi and/or 4G LTE to play online, or if you'll only be able to play online on the main console.

Nintendo said they wanted to put 3G in the 3ds, but didn't because they couldn't provide it for free. Maybe this time they have a partner and can provide free lte as part of "Nintendo live" or whatever.

LordOfChaos

. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

Setting optimism dial to 2, but only 2.

Mithos

For launch as long as its not a disaster system from the get go they will go in for the launch window when software sales are strong. How long the support lasts is upto gamers and the systems strengths

No it's up to the thirdparty developers/publishers...

Treat the NX gamers as they treated Wii/Wii U gamers, then they have failed, treat NX gamers as first class citisens and they are in a better position, BUT still they have to ride it out building their fanbase, since the fanbase moved to platforms where they were treated better.

AGITΩ

So what are the hopes that Nintendos cosmetic design team actually makes the console [if it is a home console] actually look good and not thrown together like the Wii U?

Outside of that, i hope that it does lead to a console DQXI on the NX.

Piers

They're going to have to knock it out of the park this time if they're serious about staying in hardware.

They absolutely won't. Not when Gunpei Yokoi's everlasting legacy with Nintendo is to use as cheaper components as possible to ease manufacturing costs.

schaft0620

Guys. Leading parts doesnt mean leading in performance. You might get more recent parts but thats it. Dont expect sth beyond Xbox One for the NX console and dont expect sth more than twice/thrice the Vita for the NX handheld.

Don't forget every year that goes by the cost of those parts goes down. The $400 PS4 parts were being bought by Sony in 2012, thats why you get price drops and slim consoles. Nintendo could make the same exact console and sell it for $300 right now no problem never mind next year. Same thing goes for the Vita, those parts were being bought in 2011. New chips come out from manufactures every year. The hardware in the Vita is 4 years old now at least.

JoeM86

This...
...sounds like what most people talk about when they say "hybrid".

But it's also counter to what Nintendo have said about the NX. It's more likely to be a WSJ misunderstanding.

Until Nintendo say otherwise, it's better to believe what they're saying rather than what another company says.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing concrete up on WarioWorld/SDSG yet as far as I can tell. Nevertheless, very intriguing news.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
they also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices,

My heart says "Yes!" but my head says "You know what will happen."

I expect no more than a $249 launch price, and my guess is they'll target $199. I think a cheaper, versatile hardware based around an upgraded Wiimote is their best option right now. They have almost zero chance to compete directly with Sony/MS on a power level.

You know what? I don't even care, I'm freaked hyped already! When it comes to Microsoft and Sony I can keep my hype in check. I have no power against the mighty Nintendo. They rule over me like the dirty peasant I am.

My heart says "Yes!" but my head says "You know what will happen."

I expect no more than a $249 launch price, and my guess is they'll target $199. I think a cheaper, versatile hardware based around an upgraded Wiimote is their best option right now. They have almost zero chance to compete directly with Sony/MS on a power level.

249-300 is a good price point if they are in fact looking to compete with or at least market themselves as Xbox One, PS4 competitors (or alternatives). Assuming this is marketed well and consumers bite then it means a very healthy game industry where there are 3 viable console platforms and of course the PC market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom