• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Begins Distributing Software Kit for NX (Console + Handheld units)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithos

I expect no more than a $249 launch price, and my guess is they'll target $199. I think a cheaper, versatile hardware based around an upgraded Wiimote is their best option right now. They have almost zero chance to compete directly with Sony/MS on a power level.

If Nintendo changes controller for the NX, it needs to be a the "Wii U Pro Controller" but with analog triggers.

sinxtanx

lol at people taking "in conjunction" to mean a hybrid device

you can use the 3DS in conjunction with the Wii U, does that make the Wii U a hybrid?

more likely, you can use the handheld as a controller, synchronize savefiles and account info and other shit

the article was written for people who don't know anything about video games

skypunch

Banned
What I'm hoping for:

- A console with a new Xenoblade game.

That's it.

Me too. I'm so pumped to see Takahashi's new title. If this "industry-leading chips" bole is true, then just imagine how amazing the next Xenoblade would look; not just from a raw graphical standpoint, but from how the graphical prowess will allow Monolith Soft to push the art of their game even further! It's gonna be bliss.

Sadist

Unfortunately, I think this is true. They will likely have unfair benchmarks for those versions as well. We've seen how that's gone in the past on Wii U.
If EA releases FIFA 17 on NX and it's actually FIFA 16.2 I'd rather want them to bugger off. Yes, Nintendo needs all the publishers it can and they made their mistakes, but for the consumers sake I really hope both of them will give us something good.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If Nintendo changes controller for the NX, it needs to be a the "Wii U Pro Controller" but with analog triggers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it shipped with that and had an upgraded Wiimote you could buy separately.

Then again, they may want to run away from the Wii name and relationship altogether, considering they've already done that in stores with marketing.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If third-party kits are going out, then first-party developers are already working on software. NX has to be the new or lead SKU for The Legend of Zelda. This thing is coming out next year!

schaft0620

They absolutely want to be easy on the loyal few that bought the Wii U, there shouldn't be a 64-bit OS bridge to cross, I highly doubt that there will not be backwards compatibility.

thefro

Here's what the author of the article says on Twitter

Takashi Mochizuki Verified account
‏@mochi_wsj

Nintendo's new NX likely to 1) have more than two devices 2) come with powerful chips 3) be launched by end of 2016: http://on.wsj.com/1LRNAyM

Takashi Mochizuki Verified account
‏@mochi_wsj

任天堂のNXについて。自分で書いておいてなんですが、びっくりするような新情報があるかと言われると無いです。岩田さんが3月にされた発言の文言は非常に良く考えられていると、日々実感。さすが天才。 
(bing translate says something about this being surprising information, but I'll let someone who actually speaks Japanese summarize)

Theorymon

I'll cry if it's 2D anything, they need to stop putting out games that could've been done on GameCube level hardware at a lower resolution.

I mean, sure New Super Mario Bros U probably wasn't a smart launch title, but I think it'd be a shame if Nintendo stopped doing 2D Platformers again. Nintendo is one of the only devs that puts out retail 2D platformers now a days.

Personally, I think launching with the new Zelda game is probably Nintendo's best bet for the NX.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here's what the author of the article says on Twitter

(bing translate says something about this being surprising information, but I'll let someone who actually speaks Japanese summarize)

More than two? Console, handheld and then what? Tablet? Phone?
Theorymon said:
Personally, I think launching with the new Zelda game is probably Nintendo's best bet for the NX.

Based on sales, launching with Mario Kart 9 would actually probably be Nintendo's best bet.

A launch with Zelda, Mario Kart 9, and take your pick of a Spla2oon/Metroid/DK/Pikmin would be fantastic.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
If third-party kits are going out, then first-party developers are already working on software. NX has to be the new or lead SKU for The Legend of Zelda. This thing is coming out next year!
Yes. First party and select "second" party developers have likely been working quite a while on software for NX. I assume the distribution that begins now is for "general" third party developers like Ubisoft, EA (?), Take-Two etc.

250px-Nokia_N-Gage.png

It's coming.

Precisely. I'm guessing we will hears one details about it from Nintendo in February or March. E3 will be a huge blow out and the console(s) will drop holiday of 2016.

greg400

Banned
I mean, sure New Super Mario Bros U probably wasn't a smart launch title, but I think it'd be a shame if Nintendo stopped doing 2D Platformers again. Nintendo is one of the only devs that puts out retail 2D platformers now a days.

Super Mario Maker is the end all be all 2D platformer as far as I'm concerned. Yoshi needs to be re-invented or axed and I'd really rather not have Retro work on another DKC game. Kirby can stay 2D for kids.

Hype!

I might start visiting the gaming section on GAF again.

Let's hope Nintendo can come up with something worth buying again after the Wii U.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Nintendo said they wanted to put 3G in the 3ds, but didn't because they couldn't provide it for free. Maybe this time they have a partner and can provide free lte as part of "Nintendo live" or whatever.

After the horrible failure of the initiative on the Vita, I think they will have drop the idea by now.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The elephant in the room for those beginning to dream of PS4+ POWER is the goal of NX was to get the same games to be available on both the handheld and console variant. That means the handhelds power establishes the baseline, and the console can only pile resolution and maybe better AA on top. Unless Nintendo want to make 2 different versions of the same game which takes them back to square one.

Because unlike the other two console makers, you never know what bizarre / wild shit Nintendo will pull, so they're actually fun to anticipate. I also love the Wii and Wii U, so I haven't been let down at all. Purple Lunchbox -> TV Remote -> Gamepad monstrosity -> ?????. Admit it, you have to be curious.

Oh I'm always curious. The problem is its no longer a "positive" curious, its mainly a "what are they going to scrimp/fuck up this time" feeling. Back in the 90's to 00's, console manufacturers such as Nintendo still had some grip on being the only tech innovators in town. Nowadays tech startups are everywhere, innovating in crowdsourcing spaces and beyond, throwing new insane tech at every wall they can. The world is bigger and more open than when a Nintendo exec could meet a dude at a golf game and get the up and up on motion control.

NX is going to be launching into a world with full functioning room tracked and hand-controlled VR as well as Microsoft's absurdly expensive and devkit only Hololens. Smartphone VR and other disgusting cutting edge leaps in that area and more sort of take any wind out of the "wonder what brave new landscape Nintendos gonna carve!" sails. I think NX is going to be a by the books fairly standard approach to a game system with minor quirks like shoulder click wheels.

McHuj

Iwata had talked about being able to support multiple form factors so I imagine multiple handheld designs from a cheap 2DS like form factor to maybe even a premium tablet.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The two form factors were expected, certainly. I've also been expecting leading mobile parts, but if they have leading console parts, that would be different than what I had envisioned (a home version of the handheld essentially).

At that point, I assume they're less one platform in the iOS sense and more one platform in the Windows 10 sense.

But will they be only sold together? Because if so, how much will all of this cost?

Plinko

Iwata had talked about being able to support multiple form factors so I imagine multiple handheld designs from a cheap 2DS like form factor to maybe even a premium tablet.

This makes sense--perhaps they are actually moving toward the iPhone yearly/bi-yearly hardware refresh as well.

btrboyev

If kits are just going out now I dont expect a 2016 release unless Nintendo wants another software drought to happen again. A year isn't enough time to create a game, unless they are ports.

Theorymon

Based on sales, launching with Mario Kart 9 would actually probably be Nintendo's best bet.

A launch with Zelda, Mario Kart 9, and take your pick of a Spla2oon/Metroid/DK/Pikmin would be fantastic.

Well yeah a heavy hitter like Mario Kart would totally be better, I just assumed that Nintendo might not be ready with it yet.

georly

But will they be only sold together? Because if so, how much will all of this cost?

Just picture it like the PS3/Vita synergy, but on a 'designed from the ground up' scale. Much higher percentage of cross-platform (and hopefully cross-buy) titles, possible remote play (using the gamepad tech) to play big console games on the handheld, etc. That's what I'm envisioning anyway. Sold separately, or together at a small discount. Most, if not all handheld games playable on console, console games streamable to handheld.

Guess: 300-350 dollar console (to match/beat the competition), 200 dollar handheld. 500 dollar bundle for both, maybe with game/bigger storage in this bundle. *shrug*

Plinko

If kits are just going out now I dont expect a 2016 release unless Nintendo wants another software drought to happen again. A year isn't enough time to create a game, unless they are ports.

Except kits are now going out to third-parties. Most likely first parties have had them for a year and have been working on games for that long.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I've been wanting a WiiDS for a while now.

greg400

Banned

Ubisoft managed to rework an entire game in a year for Wii U launch (ZombiU) and the majority will very likely be ports.

Firemind

I still don't know how this is going to work out well for them.

Who's going to buy the inferior mobile version? The Japanese I guess?

It also means two different dev teams unless you're a savant like Sakurai.

ekim

Fetched some images from the CSS files within the new dev portal:
untitledu8jsd.png

Don't know what Device Preview is doing here and it's probably just related to something on the website itself but it's worth posting nonetheless.

Mithos

They should have like 1 year or so to port a game to NX if they decide to support it.

ramparter

Banned
I'm gonna cry if Mario 2D is their main launch title. They need something different.
It's funny because I was really disappointed to find that NSMBU would be their main Mario launch game back in 2012 and now it's one of my favourite games ever. Not saying that I'd want another 2D Mario for launch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom