• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo making Zelda mobile game, Animal Crossing mobile Fall, new Poke TCG app

I could see this being a $10-$15 pay once title.

I don't know how you make the regular Zelda formula free-to-play?

I mean Mario Run has a scoring system and daily runs but I can't see there being a scoring system for Zelda dungeons.

Also while you could play platforming levels multiple times quickly going through a dungeons with the exact same puzzle solutions would be tedious.

I could see this have a basic overworld with four dungeons located around it.
I can see an endless runner with epona or something like Skyward Sword x Infinity Blade focusing on fighting

Nanashrew

Banned

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I updated the title a bit, both since there is more information, and because the Wall Street Journal doesn't really post "rumors" in the same way other sites do. If they're saying it exists, it 99%+ exists.

If Nintendo is smart they won't do the one time pay thing again after they've seen that model just doesn't make as much money for Super Mario Run compared to Fire Emblem.

chrono01

I can see it now...

Zelda will be a type-match/puzzle game, where you match rupees of differing colors to attack. Your characters will all be gatcha-based (of course), with skills as well as leader abilities. You can purchase and/or equip items, to alter the board to your liking (hookshot to pull distance rupees closer to set up a combo), as well as outright deal damage (bombs will attack the enemies, boomerang in a sweeping arc, etc.).

I'd play it.

jdstorm

Banned
I could see this being a $10-$15 pay once title.

I don't know how you make the regular Zelda formula free-to-play?

I mean Mario Run has a scoring system and daily runs but I can't see there being a scoring system for Zelda dungeons.

Also while you could play platforming levels multiple times quickly going through a dungeons with the exact same puzzle solutions would be tedious.

I could see this have a basic overworld with four dungeons located around it.

You make it like temple run (an endless runner) except each area is a puzzle maze that you have to unlock. After learning and completing each Puzzle Maze (Dungeon) you unlock new dungeons. So you start with a Hyrule Field maze, then eventually you are running through a water temple trying to memorize where to go and everytime you die you have the option to spend real money to keep going.

That game would print money. Especially combined with cosmetic unlocks of different characters. Link, Zelda, Impa ect and in each of their different versions IE Toon Link ect.

I can see AC being a huge money maker and I can see the TGC app doing really well with some promotion and contined support.

I do wonder what Zelda would be like though? Maybe like the Tomb Raider mobile games?

zelda and pokemon tcg?????

w7dmvBw.jpg

Animal Crossing fall?

Did it get pushed back further? I could be mistaken, could've sworn I read summer before, too much news to remember anything

Ratros

I am a little bit confused.

Usually I tend to applaud Nintendo's efforts on mobile games, but when it comes to Zelda I'm now feeling cautiously pessimistic. Animal Crossing mobile is always welcomed though.

Never mind, I guess a Four Swords style game would be interesting on smart devices.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Animal Crossing fall?

Did it get pushed back further? I could be mistaken, could've sworn I read summer before, too much news to remember anything

They never announced a new date. I suspect they decided to redesign some things based on feedback from Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes.

Animal Crossing fall?

IIRC it was planned for 2016, then bumped to a vague FY 2016/2017, and since was bumped back to FY 2017/2018. Never really had a specific timing, just between this April and next March.

It'll be interesting to see if they plan to launch it simultaneously with an AC game on Switch, or maybe do the mobile game first as a warmup for the Switch game.

They never announced a new date. I suspect they decided to redesign some things based on feedback from Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes.

IIRC it was planned for 2016, then bumped to a vague FY 2016/2017, and since was bumped back to FY 2017/2018. Never really had a specific timing, just between this April and next March.

It'll be interesting to see if they plan to launch it simultaneously with an AC game on Switch, or maybe do the mobile game first as a warmup for the Switch game.
Ah, gotcha.
Might have been a prediction by someone that I mistook as confirmation.

Animal Crossing will destroy everyone's wallets buying furniture and friends.
Aping some of the mechanics of Happy Home Designer and the town building stuff from new leaf, with random pulls for furniture sets would have gameplay loops that constantly feed back in to each other.

They'd make a ton.

Twentieth

Wonder if the Pokémon TCG app is:

1) An update to the current game (PTCGO) with a proper UI for smaller screens;
2) completely new game (proper campaign mode, please?)
3) complete PTCGO revamp.

So many good possibilities here. It could be a swipe adventure like Lara Croft GO, a Hyrule builder, a straight up old school dungeon crawler, whatever. Excited to see how this turns out.

Delio

Curious about the TCG app. Would it connect to the PC one? Or will it kinda be like Duel Links and start from the beginning and just add newer sets over time.

Top Bottom