• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo making Zelda mobile game, Animal Crossing mobile Fall, new Poke TCG app

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I do think Nintendo could be doing better is building synergy between their mobile and console products. Super Mario Run basically had nothing it could promote or clearly push people towards. I suspect Animal Crossing will be the same, with New Leaf being the best option. Perhaps Zelda will be able to promote Breath of the Wild for renewed holiday sales (though I don't know how much help it will need). Fire Emblem Heroes at least works as a platform to potentially push people to try out Echoes and future games.

Pretty cool news overall, but I'm still scared that the mobile Animal Crossing could potentially be a replacement for a full-fledged Switch version...

I don't think you should be afraid of that. Nintendo has made it pretty clear that their intentions with all of their products is to strengthen the appeal of their IPs and drive activity on all platforms (mobile to console, console to mobile, games to theme parks, etc.). I think Pokémon GO increasing 3DS sales was the ideal of what Nintendo would like every time, so I think they're going to aim for something similar with Animal Crossing mobile bringing people to 3DS and Switch. I wouldn't be surprised to see New Leaf get promotion again this year when AC mobile launches.

I believe the only time we might see a franchise become mobile-only is when the franchise is simply not worth the financial investment to make a proper Switch game. What was once a possibility of making a game eShop-only could become "eShop and/or mobile?".

Smash Bros. Mobile in 2018 almost feels inevitable!!!

Super Smash Bros. for iOS and Super Smash Bros. for Android with exclusive modes and trophies distinguishing them? You'll have to have two phones to get the complete experience!

sviri

I never even thought about Pokemon TCG coming to mobile, but it'd be the first Nintendo mobile game that I'd genuinely anticipate. I'd be down to spend a few dollars on packs just to see how the experience makes me feel.

All I'm saying is, the visuals of Triforce Heroes on a mobile phone. There have been similar cases like Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies on mobile, it's the same game running at a higher resolution.

Nintendo aren't going to push the graphics threshold of mobile phones, Sony isn't either if you saw their Forwardworks mobile announcements.

Yeah, I guess that would be veasible for them. 3DS games look good visually but they're gimped by the low resolution. When it comes to mobile game, they can push the visuals on HD resolution and it'll make a great difference. But I honestly think they can aim higher than Triforce Heroes, for example by using better shaders and lighting.

doesnt matter because online will be required so I cant play it... also now that the switch is out this seams pointless.

Approximately 3 million people own a Switch right now.

As of last year, approximately 3 billion people own a smartphone.

That seems like a decent gap in potential audience.

Tri Force Heroes now feels like a wasted opportunity. They could've released the worst Zelda game ever on smartphones and it would have fit in just fine with all the other garbage.

jonno394

I could see a f2p triforce heroes style game with a random dungeon generator, and stamina requirements. IAP consist of things like health, potions, stamina, rupees, weapon rental, BotW style armour that changes stats and appearance.

duckroll

Tri Force Heroes now feels like a wasted opportunity. They could've released the worst Zelda game ever on smartphones and it would have fit in just fine with all the other garbage.

All this salt is amusing. Gamers still struggling to deal with market reality in 2017.

Nanashrew

Banned
I feel like the Pokemon TCG thing is just a reboot of Pokemon TCG Online. Maybe they're finally putting some actual budget into it.

Zelda Mobile is more important than Tri Force Heroes.

If the ultimate purpose of releasing games on smartphones is to entice people to buy the real thing, then I guess TFH would probably just leave a bad taste in people's mouths and it would just end up turning them off Zelda forever.

Maybe they could've made TFH the sequel on smartphones. It's an entry that just doesn't belong in the series. I got it day 1 on 3DS and I've yet to finish it because it's so damn boring to play.

All this salt is amusing. Gamers still struggling to deal with market reality in 2017.

I have nothing against this. I just wish they didn't put their worst effort ever as a follow-up to one of the best entries in the series (ALBW). That's all.

Still with the idea that Happy Home Designer should have been their mobile title for AC instead of putting it on the 3DS. Fits the style too well. There's plenty of ways to monetize HHD too lol.

I feel like the Pokemon TCG thing is just a reboot of Pokemon TCG Online. Maybe they're finally putting some actual budget into it.

I'd be more than OK with that. I wanted to love the current version but it constantly crashes and the UI, art design, and, well, everything else feel cheap.

If the ultimate purpose of releasing games on smartphones is to entice people to buy the real thing.

No. The ultimate purpose of releasing games on smartphones is to get easy and sustainable revenue.

It all depends on its business model though. Will they go with in-app purchase like Pokemon, or one purchase like Mario.

JoeM86

Pokémon Co. is planning a new card-game app, two people familiar with the matter said. Pokémon Co. already makes physical cards that players collect and use in competitions. A company spokeswoman declined to comment.

Probably just the rumoured Japanese version of TCGO. Nothing to see here. Though having TCGO be altered so it can be played on phones instead of just tablets would be huge.

Doesn't surprise me that the writer may not know about TCGO. So many writers and analysts thought GO was Pokémon's first mobile game, when it wasn't even the first one in 2016.

Having another TCG app when TCGO exists is the epitome of redundancy and TCGO is huge as it is. It just needs a Japanese version.

Probably just the rumoured Japanese version of TCGO. Nothing to see here.

Though having TCGO be altered so it can be played on phones instead of just tablets would be huge.

Doesn't surprise me that the writer may not know about TCGO. So many writers and analysts thought GO was Pokémon's first mobile game, when it wasn't even the first one in 2016.

In America we haven't had an official new TCG game since the one on Game Boy Color. A lot has changed in TCG since Base, Jungle, and Fossil

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
AC this Fall was expected/no brainer. Zelda on mobile as well.

Guess Pokemon TCG is more of a news - hope they can get it right like Konami with the Yugi-Oh mobile game.

Jackano

Terrible things happens all the time, and it was only a matter of when, no if, we'll get Zelda mobile.

I just wished we had a few years to prepare but probably not :(

duckroll

Your approach to this discussion is very interesting, duckroll.

You mean making fun of people who have difficulty coping with the fact that mobile games exist, are popular, and have a huge audience? Yes, I like doing that, because we could do with a lot of less of people trying (unsuccessfully) to drown out mobile announcement threads with their salty tears.

ksamedi

I have faith in Nintendo not going for the free to play model for Zeda, even though that will bring in the easy money. I hope they go for a DS stule touch controlled Zeda for 10 bucks.

On the other hand, it makes way too much sense for Animal Crossing to go free to play. I think that can be a billion dollar mobile game for them.

oti

Banned
You mean making fun of people who have difficulty coping with the fact that mobile games exist, are popular, and have a huge audience? Yes, I like doing that, because we could do with a lot of less of people trying (unsuccessfully) to drown out mobile announcement threads with their salty tears.

I'm all for educating people on the mobile market. There are very big misconceptions about it on here and elsewhere amongst core gamers. But that tone isn't really helpful, is it.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I have faith in Nintendo not going for the free to play model for Zeda, even though that will bring in the easy money. I hope they go for a DS stule touch controlled Zeda for 10 bucks.

On the other hand, it makes way too much sense for Animal Crossing to go free to play. I think that can be a billion dollar mobile game for them.
Gacha isn't the way to easy money though as you need to consistantly have updates and and new content spanning its entire life.

I'm all for educating people on the mobile market. There are very big misconceptions about it on here and elsewhere amongst core gamers. But that tone isn't really helpful, is it.

Some people would only need a soft whisper to wake up, while some others need a big slap on the cheek and they may still wouldn't wake up.

duckroll

I'm not interested in being helpful to someone who comes into a thread basically going "I can't afford [system x], I hope they port it to [system y]!" I just want to mock them, and if they do it again, ban them. :p

oti

Banned
I'm not interested in being helpful to someone who comes into a thread basically going "I can't afford [system x], I hope they port it to [system y]!" I just want to mock them, and if they do it again, ban them. :p

How did you become a mod? Must have been a wild time back then. Other mods are less... confrontational. :D

Top Bottom