• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo making Zelda mobile game, Animal Crossing mobile Fall, new Poke TCG app

2Shea

I may be wrong, as I don't play the Pokémon TCG; but wouldn't a Hearthstone-esque version of it for Mobile/PC print money?

They never announced a new date. I suspect they decided to redesign some things based on feedback from Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes.

There was a rumor that AC Mobile was almost complete last year, but that Nintendo was dissatisfied with it and rebooted the project. For what that's worth.

I dread what mobile is going to do to the Animal Crossing franchise. I've already got creepy drug dealer villagers in New Leaf trying to sell me Amiibos.

nikos

I really hope that Animal Crossing game is good, or a companion to a proper Animal Crossing game for Switch.

Permanently A

I don't see how you could make a gacha game when the Zelda series doesn't really have that many memorable characters. It would be really stupid to have like 20 different versions of Link as the main gacha offerings.

Quonny

Please just please also release it on 3DS or Switch.

I am so tired of them making games on mobile and not releasing them on their own damn systems. I want to play these games. Please let me. I can't afford a mobile device and don't want to support mobile due to them constantly being outdated by newer systems so please Nintendo release your mobile games on your actual systems.

If its like a real good Zelda game that I can't play I'll be pissed.

Hey look it's my stupid argument from the Tales thread.

Permanently A

Please just please also release it on 3DS or Switch.

I am so tired of them making games on mobile and not releasing them on their own damn systems. I want to play these games. Please let me. I can't afford a mobile device and don't want to support mobile due to them constantly being outdated by newer systems so please Nintendo release your mobile games on your actual systems.

If its like a real good Zelda game that I can't play I'll be pissed.

You have a 3DS and a Switch but not a phone?

I assume you're posting on a computer then, at least you can download an Android emulator and play that way. But seriously, that's some strange financial prioritization.

So... New top down Zelda game with Phantom Hourglass touch controls?

Sure, it could work, but I'm not sure how profitable it would be without microtransactions ruining.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Given that Zelda was inevitable, the bigger question has always been what kind of game they'll make.

After Zelda and Animal Crossing, I wonder what's next. Splatoon, Kirby, and Pikmin? Perhaps they'll begin to reuse IPs or explore spin-offs (Mario Kart, Mario sports, etc.)?

Quonny

Zelda is going to be a premium game. They said recently that they wanted to make more premium mobile games. Animal Crossing is going to be lootbox heaven. Makes sense that Zelda will be a premium offering.

Given that Zelda was inevitable, the bigger question has always been what kind of game they'll make.

After Zelda and Animal Crossing, I wonder what's next. Splatoon, Kirby, and Pikmin? Perhaps they'll begin to reuse IPs or explore spin-offs (Mario Kart, Mario sports, etc.)?
Something needs to remind Nintendo that they own WarioWare.

Twentieth

I may be wrong, as I don't play the Pokémon TCG; but wouldn't a Hearthstone-esque version of it for Mobile/PC print money?

Great, now I'll be disappointed in anything less

Unless you're talking about Pokémon TCG with Hearthstone-esque rules, here's the official Pokémon TCGO (for tablets, Mac and PC).

Edit: It works on most Android mobile devices, btw. You just have to download the apk file.

Maxinas

Zelda is going to be a premium game. They said recently that they wanted to make more premium mobile games. Animal Crossing is going to be lootbox heaven. Makes sense that Zelda will be a premium offering.

$5 would be a fair trade. I feel like $9.99 just doesn't stand well with the masses in the mobile space.

Muzy72

Banned
If they go the Super Mario Run route for Zelda, I hope it's just a paid app, rather than releasing it as "free" with the one time in app purchase. I think that would have been much better for SMR's reputation.

duckroll

I don't see how you could make a gacha game when the Zelda series doesn't really have that many memorable characters. It would be really stupid to have like 20 different versions of Link as the main gacha offerings.

To be fair, gacha doesn't just have to be about characters. Cosmetics also apply, and Nintendo already tried cosmetics before in Zelda.

gvHDB0x.jpg

PikkonX

Pretty cool news overall, but I'm still scared that the mobile Animal Crossing could potentially be a replacement for a full-fledged Switch version...

ggx2ac

I'm guessing a single player version of Zelda based off of Triforce Heroes. (One link to control, not three.)

The 3DS graphics of that game would be doable considering what we've seen of Super Mario Run.

They could easily put in costumes with microtransactions but, who knows?

The Pokémon TCG app must be something serious assuming they saw how well the Yugioh app did.

I'm guessing a single player version of Zelda based off of Triforce Heroes. (One link to control, not three.)

The 3DS graphics of that game would be doable considering what we've seen of Super Mario Run.

Have you seen how far mobile gaming has become today?

3DS graphics is nowhere near as good as modern mobile games look.

ggx2ac

Have you seen how far mobile gaming has become today?

3DS graphics is nowhere near as good as modern mobile games look.

All I'm saying is, the visuals of Triforce Heroes on a mobile phone. There have been similar cases like Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies on mobile, it's the same game running at a higher resolution.

Nintendo aren't going to push the graphics threshold of mobile phones, Sony isn't either if you saw their Forwardworks mobile announcements.

Top Bottom