• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Offers Bright Outlook on Expectations for Switch

No, I didn't know that. But the Wii also had millions of casuals and non-gamers so I wouldn't expect anything other than mario kart to have widespread appeal, proportionate to overall console sales.

The WiiU, however, IMO, the sample size of buyers probably has a higher core gamer base proportion versus Wii.

Given the BOTW sales figures on WiiU, perhaps I am wrong to assume so.

I'd imagine tons of people stopped paying attention to their wiiu entirely because the thing hibernated through 2015.

koss424

Not sure what was up with the DOA arrival group. But put me in a group that believes that Nintendo won't be able to maintain this level of growth throughout the end of the year unless they make a pricing adjustment or offer a good bundle during Holiday

I thought the general expectation is that they would start off strong and tapper off as they progress along?

When it comes down to it, price is ALWAYS king. You can't expect Nintendo to put this same performance at the same price point against $200 Xbox One S's and PS4 Slims w/ bundled games.The PS Pro will likely hit $350 at retailers w/ at least one bundle game.

I think that it would do a lot better than the Wii U did, but Wii U sales performance did give us insight to why the whole "Nintendo 1st party will carry them" does not always hold true. The Switch is just a further evolution of the Wii U - much better executed in design and marketing.

There is still of faction of Splatoon fans that are waiting for the Spla2oon to buy the Switch. And some Mario Fans are still on the sideline too. Both of these titles drop 2017. But what if there is a Switch Pokemon announcement at E3.... It could be a amazing first year for Nintendo.

I'm not even looking at the Wii sales numbers anymore: I think it's going to outsell the DS.

I'd say it's certainly possible but again, predicting LTD numbers is very difficult. There are just too many factors we don't know- how long the Switch brand will be sold for, if any revisions are coming in the next couple years, if a pro-type revision comes, if a home version only comes, if a Switch 2 with BC and forwards compatibility comes in 5 years, if Trump fumbles the whole North Korea thing and World War III begins...

Just too many unknowns. I'd say DS numbers are possible, Wii numbers a bit more likely, and neither of them laughable anymore.

Occam

Not gonna lie, after his VR pimping thread and that comment, I've lost a little respect for Evilore. But just a little.

Why? Everything he says in that post is factual. I for one am surprised Switch is selling as well as it does despite its shortcomings.

How long until Nintendos Investors Meeting? I know it's tonight. Is there a twitter to follow?

As always, Rösti's got your back:

Rösti;234914791 said:
Nintendo's financial results briefings are usually held 10:00 AM JST the day after the earnings release. April 28, 2017, 10:00 AM JST converts to the below.

t1493341200z4.png

I think they have had it 09:00 AM JST some time. But around these times anyway.

Takashi Mochizuki usually has info from the meetings on Twitter IIRC.

JCX

Why? Everything he says in that post is factual. I for one am surprised Switch is selling as well as it does despite its shortcomings.

Because horsepower is an awful predictor of success in the console market? (See Game Boy, PS2, DS, 360, Wii).

I think that there's every chance that the Switch could be at least as successful as the 3DS.

The negativity towards the system mainly came from before we knew it launched with what is possibly the best game of all time. That, coupled with the fact that the hardware is actually really good, gives it a good chance of succeeding long term imo.

From the reveal I've been really excited about Nintendo for the first time in years. If they keep producing stuff as good as Zelda and MK8DX I'll be happy.

Falchion

I had no plans to buy one at launch and I'm an owner now. I suspect they're still be a ton of people like me this year.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I had no plans to buy one at launch and I'm an owner now. I suspect they're still be a ton of people like me this year.

I'm curious—what pushed you from not looking to buy it at launch to already having one?

Falchion

I'm curious—what pushed you from not looking to buy it at launch to already having one?

Got my hands on it at Nintendo World after launch and it was just such a nice piece of hardware and I could tell they had learned a lot of lessons from the Wii U. I knew I wanted Zelda but I was happy to wait until the holiday but I figured why not just go ahead and get one since it was so nice. Plus I'll be traveling a lot this summer so having it as a portable will be huge.

Top Bottom