• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: No announcements planned for game titles or specs for Nintendo Switch in 2016

I think this makes lots of sense.

Why would you hype something right before the holidays if you'll just gonna sell the product right after it?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I wonder how many kids are aware of the Switch let alone feel like wanting one. Most kids already have a tablet with massive gaming libraries. They're probably looking forward to a new iPad than a gaming console this holiday.

The Switch is clearly targeting an adult who wants to game on the go. Do you think it is a coincidence that they didn't show any kid playing the Switch in the preview video?
Kids love "adult" things, it makes them feel cool.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yes cause all of those large multinational conglomerates and fortune 500 companies that move large amounts of product all drip feed news for their next big thing during the Holidays that isn't gonna be out till the follow year.

Oh wait they don't...
Keep telling yourself they couldn't use those extra preorders lol. Rockstar nailed the timeline with the RDR2 reveal.

What would Nintendo gain from marketing games during the holidays that aren't going to be out and are on a console that isn't going to be out?
Give people pause on purchasing their one console i.e PS4, Xbox one this fall

The real issue in all of this is releasing the console in march is such a bad decision. Clearly things are behind schedule HW wise and they're throwing it out there in March

image.php

Sorcerer

I wonder how many kids are aware of the Switch let alone feel like wanting one. Most kids already have a tablet with massive gaming libraries. They're probably looking forward to a new iPad than a gaming console this holiday.

The Switch is clearly targeting an adult who wants to game on the go. Do you think it is a coincidence that they didn't show any kid playing the Switch in the preview video?

Those kids are looking at that Switch video on those Ipads. The dude in the video seems to be going around the world by airplane, so it makes sense that a kid is not shown.

Malus

I'm going to trust Nintendo's decision on this. I remember the doubtful reactions (including mine) when we heard Nintendo would use E3 to essentially only show BOTW. That decision turned out to be a hit

Would've been an even bigger hit as a part of a huge awesome console reveal, but that wasn't in the cards unfortunately.

AmyS

Nintendo better be preparing the SCD and AR glasses with games for Fall 2017, after the initial hybrid launches in March.

Come in guys think about. They announce stuff this year they gotta compete with all the big relases and the Pro. Plus Nintendo has a couple stuff they want to sell as well. They play their cards now, it could affect sells of their few games and console, plus be overshadow by the pro. they also won't have the element of surprise again. A second direct could not have the same attention if done wrong. They already got a positive first impression which means that when they come back in 2017, people will be listening

In 2017 They got practically no competition, and news travels faster then ever nowadays so a single Direct blowout could very still be on people minds till release date.

Sorry for the weird typing, mobile is acting up on me.

Are you guys completely dense?

How do you understand not blowing off all your load especially on a Holiday season where you're not selling your product. There's a high chance consumers won't pay attention to your new product during holidays.

Not the least bit surprising. Gotta clear that Wii U stock.

I don't see how revealing this stuff in January 2017 as opposed to December 2016 is gonna make the number of pre-orders any lower.

More or less agree with this. Pre-orders won't be too affected by Nintendo waiting to reveal more information. If the console/games are appealing to gamers then those gamers might be willing to pre-order despite the delay in getting more information.

gafneo

Banned
They need to address whether or not past controls are compatible or not. Maybe the answer is no, but I'd like to know if my Mario Wheel will have relivance again at some point. People keep talking about the touch, but official website only says Joycons can control games. So much for apps and web browsing if true. Also, is there an incentive to buy digital or is storage options Vita bad? Kind of important news for a home console. The handheld it's doesn't look like it will house 500 gb hard drive if these games are really that demanding.

joeposh

We know what it is, that there are some big titles attached to it and that it's coming on schedule in March. While it's not a traditional timeline, there's not a ton of value in blowing out things now.

Saving major reveals for early 2017 gives their partners space to focus on promoting their holiday releases, before pivoting to their Nintendo plans in what's traditionally a slow period for the industry. As others have mentioned, it also allows them to focus on moving remaining Wii U stock. Besides tormenting people who want a full reveal ASAP, what's the drawback?

Neonep

Come in guys think about. They announce stuff this year they gotta compete with all the big relases and the Pro. Plus Nintendo has a couple stuff they want to sell as well. They play their cards now, it could affect sells of their few games and console, plus be overshadow by the pro. they also won't have the element of surprise again. A second direct could not have the same attention if done wrong. They already got a positive first impression which means that when they come back in 2017, people will be listening

In 2017 They got practically no competition, and news travels faster then ever nowadays so a single Direct blowout could very still be on people minds till release date.

Sorry for the weird typing, mobile is acting up on me.

LOL..... How would something that wouldn't drop until March compete with something released 4-5 months earlier.

Sorcerer

Gonna be hilarious when this thing launches with a couple WiiU ports and Zelda.

What console launch was ever really that mind blowing? They have a Zelda, perhaps some Wii-U ports (witch would be new games to at least non-nintendo fans). They will probably be okay. Its the long game that counts. Besides you don't throw out all your best games without an install base.

Are you guys completely dense?

How do you understand not blowing off all your load especially on a Holiday season where you're not selling your product. There's a high chance consumers won't pay attention to your new product during holidays.
So you're telling me if they said new Zelda and Mario were confirmed launch titles in November that it'd get no coverage or attention? How about get pre order attention and kiosks for game stores during the holiday surge? By your logic they shouldn't have even done this 3 minute reveal in October.

In this thread we learn how many people don't understand that you don't do new news and or marketing during the Holidays as nobody is listening during the Holidays with the obvious exception being specific Holiday sales/marketing.

You're not wrong, and it's going to be fine for them in the end. But, it's still pretty fucking weird to unveil a new system only five months before release, with a three minute trailer that doesn't really show much, and then to say you're not going to say shit else about it for another couple of months. So, it's going to be insanely close to release before we really see what is up with this thing.

Just, weird.

Dyna

This doesn't make much sense to me, I was expecting a Nintendo Direct about the console next month for sure. Guess not then. Interested to see what launch titles it'll have though.

Sorcerer

So you're telling me if they said new Zelda and Mario were confirmed launch titles in November that it'd get no coverage or attention? How about get pre order attention and kiosks for game stores during the holiday surge? By your logic they shouldn't have even done this 3 minute reveal in October.

Your not going to get a Zelda and Mario at launch. One or the other. Mario could be finished but they are going to wait for an opportune time to release it. Xmas 2017 at the earliest.

This seems quite stupid, really hope they reconsider on this, but this is Nintendo we're talking about so I doubt that'll happen. I was really looking forward to hearing more within the next month or so too, guess that's what I get for assuming things.

catbrush

This is a smart move. Hype will be critical when they finally spill the beans, probably right before release in March. Showing the games and specs right now would give fans something to drool over while they wait, but also allow doubt to fester in the months till release.

Malus

You're not wrong, and it's going to be fine for them in the end. But, it's still pretty fucking weird to unveil a new system only five months before release, with a three minute trailer that doesn't really show much, and then to say you're not going to say shit else about it for another couple of months. So, it's going to be insanely close to release before we really see what is up with this thing.

Just, weird.

The trailer showed some very significant things, though most of it we already knew because of leaks. It's informative for the general public at least.

I wanna see the games though. Wii U 1st party support has dried up as a direct result of Nintendo's transition to NX. It's only natural that people wanna know what's up with the console that's actually having games developed for it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
RDR2 is their next upcoming product with nothing in between. What makes you think that this is even remotely comparable?

What does that have to do with anything? They now have a YEAR of consumers coming into buy games and being sold on a simple preorder for RDR2. Then when the game finally comes out, they get a call to remind them. Not to mention the ability to come in and pay it off for an entire year. I clearly don't expect Nintendo to understand preordering the same way Rockstar does, but dayum.

Pokemon launches are the biggest launches Nintendo has. They could have set up huge preorder numbers heading into next year by having multiple game SKUs available in computer systems. Now they're going to expect people to come in themselves and do it even though there will be no worthwhile Nintendo launches between Pokemon and the official release. HUGE wasted opportunity.

PillarEN

I ain't even mad. We finally understand what the machine is about but it's not coming out this holiday anyways while there are plenty of other games that are coming, regardless of what system. The world isn't waiting around for the Switch. People will be buying games or systems that are out. After the holidays things are quiet (except for amazing RPGs which aren't coming to Switch anyways and aren't mainstream enough to get Joe Six Pack excited like a Rockstar game) and there is no need to focus on the Wii U at all as the last of its sales would have been during the holiday. Crank out hype in 2017. Why would the mainstream consumer who gets info not through game forums or videogame websites (or infrequently) need info now?

Didn't Emily Rogers say there would be NX news this week (the reveal) AND next week? Wonder what they have to say
Yeah, I wonder what this is about. I don't think they need to reveal absolutely everything right now but some confirmed details on a few games is all I really want.

VariantX

Ugh, I won't even know if that was the Switch version of zelda or just the Wii U version of Zelda on display in that video. Can't make out any differences whatsoever with low quality footage.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Well that's a shame but I guess that makes sense since the holiday season is starting.

Top Bottom