• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wtf is IS doing with the Wars series?

baconcow

Is there anything equivalent to COs? They were one of the fun parts of the Wars series (even in DoR).

But, and this is going to sound crazy, I bet we'll get a new Wars game on the Switch. And I don't mean Battalion Wars style either. Just watch

There are no unique CO's with unique powers, unless they are in online only (never played online),.There are, however, powers that can be purchased with charges (earned by killing enemy units or destroying certain items). The powers seem very similar to what you would see as CO powers with one, for example, giving you another chance to move at reduced damaged. These powers, as in AW, carry over to the next players turn.

Hackworth

No one bought it.

May I interest you in Wargroove instead?

PoshDecimalDuckling-size_restricted.gif
That's pretty cute, but I don't see any Neotanks.

It didn't sell very well, nor did the Batallion Wars action spinoffs. I do think it's bizarre that they opted to do Codename STEAM rather than making that game an Advance Wars spinoff with COs as the playable units, as I think the name recognition would've helped that game move more units. The problem with that game was the aesthetics and presentation, not the gameplay which was awesome.

We might see it come back on Switch, would make a nice two player game on one screen with the Joycons. Part of the problem is that IS probably feels like they need to increase the production values for a more powerful system, and the sales of the series don't really warrant that. IS cares more about Fire Emblem as well, I think.

jtb

Banned
For starters, they need to give the series a fucking name.

(But I fucking loved these games back in the day, even if the DS reboot was pretty eh)

Can't believe that's almost 10 years ago now.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It didn't sell very well, nor did the Batallion Wars action spinoffs. I do think it's bizarre that they opted to do Codename STEAM rather than making that game an Advance Wars spinoff with COs as the playable units, as I think the name recognition would've helped that game move more units. The problem with that game was the aesthetics and presentation, not the gameplay which was awesome.

We might see it come back on Switch, would make a nice two player game on one screen with the Joycons. Part of the problem is that IS probably feels like they need to increase the production values for a more powerful system, and the sales of the series don't really warrant that. IS cares more about Fire Emblem as well, I think.

Nintendo is listening to those who have been asking for new IPs, so Codename STEAM was probably an attempt at providing a new strategy game from IS.

I actually think they'll double down on this with Switch, so instead of a Wars game they'll try something different again while in between FE titles.

Galang

Banned
I mean it's not really Intelligent's Systems fault... Nintendo is just being careful. I think we will see a reboot of it soon after FE revived itself. AWs complete with waifus is definitely incoming and I will love it

Nintendo is listening to those who have been asking for new IPs, so Codename STEAM was probably an attempt at providing a new strategy game from IS.

I actually think they'll double down on this with Switch, so instead of a Wars game they'll try something different again while in between FE titles.
Yes I agree that's why they did it, but it was a bad idea if Codename STEAM was what they were going to go with. It didn't appeal to anyone who wasn't already going to buy any strategy title IS put out.

As for doing another new IP over doing Wars, I think either is equally likely. They will definitely do another small downloadable title in the vein of Pushmo

IS doesn't know how to make these games profitable, and so they will just not focus on them.

I personally don't have experience with the series at all. I picked up a copy of Advance Wars: Dual Strike for $15, but I haven't played it yet. The series doesn't seem to have much of a following.

No one ever talks about Wars games, so people tend to forget they even exist.

Cerium

IS doesn't know how to make these games profitable, and so they will just not focus on them.

I personally don't have experience with the series at all. I picked up a copy of Advance Wars: Dual Strike for $15, but I haven't played it yet. The series doesn't seem to have much of a following.

Trust me anyone who played this shit on GBA remembers it. It was the school lunchroom link cable hotness.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The Fire Emblem fanbase and Wars fanbase have a lot of overlap, sorry to tell you.

It's been so long since a Wars game that I can lie to myself about the 'modern' FE audience being different. Let me have my rose coloured Wars memories.

It's been so long since a Wars game that I can lie to myself about the 'modern' FE audience being different. Let me have my rose coloured Wars memories.
Haha, perhaps with the crowd Awakening brought in things are a little different, but the people who love FE GBA games and love Advance Wars are the same people. They were my first exposure to Intelligent Systems strategy goodness, made me a believer for life.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Haha, perhaps with the crowd Awakening brought in things are a little different, but the people who love FE GBA games and love Advance Wars are the same people. They were my first exposure to Intelligent Systems strategy goodness, made me a believer for life.

Yeah I imagine there is a lot of overlap. I never got into FE but I'm sure a modern one would have tons of FE fans, particularly if they fleshed out the CO stuff.

Looks like another typical clone that does nothing original while completely lacking the charm and character of the Advance Wars games.

Pass.
Eh, the aesthetic is nice at least, and the gameplay is faithful. Way too early to make that kind of statement...and honestly if you love Advance Wars, I'd think you'd be excited someone is making something heavily inspired by the series. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Thoraxes

As someone who greatly prefers the "Wars" series to FE, I really would do anything for another one.

And I want to get another kick-ass OST too. Especially after Sekigawa's amazing Codename S.T.E.A.M. OST.

No Love

Banned

Yeah just stop while you're ahead, you don't know a damn thing.

Yeah I imagine there is a lot of overlap. I never got into FE but I'm sure a modern one would have tons of FE fans, particularly if they fleshed out the CO stuff.
Did you try Fire Emblem 7, or Path of Radiance? If so and you didn't enjoy it, then Fire Emblem just isn't for you. Those are the best entries, imo.

Cerium

Eh, the aesthetic is nice at least, and the gameplay is faithful. Way too early to make that kind of statement...and honestly if you love Advance Wars, I'd think you'd be excited someone is making something heavily inspired by the series. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The biggest difference I can see so far is that COs actually fight on the battlefield as a "Hero Unit" type thing, each character gets their own campaign, and they're including a map editor. Honestly it seems pretty feature rich.

Also I don't recall amphibious units in Advance Wars but in the trailer we see some mermaid type unit thing going from land to sea.

wildfire

Banned
Nothing until Nintendo orders another one.

IP like AW and Fzero has been languishing partly because of how Nintendo has chosen to focus on IP across 2 platforms.

Now that everything is obviously Switch bound and Switch only we'll see games like these as well as more brand new IP.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Did you try Fire Emblem 7, or Path of Radiance? If so and you didn't enjoy it, then Fire Emblem just isn't for you. Those are the best entries, imo.

To be honest I haven't ever stuck with an SRPG for more than single digit hours. The whole genre isn't for me! I'm too afraid of missing things or making wrong moves that I feel like I have to be glued to a FAQ the entire time.

Wars was an exception because of how simple it was and the CO mechanic was fun and I liked the characters. It's like an arcade SRPG.

The biggest difference I can see so far is that COs actually fight on the battlefield as a "Hero Unit" type thing, each character gets their own campaign, and they're including a map editor. Honestly it seems pretty feature rich.

Also I don't recall amphibious units in Advance Wars but in the trailer we see some mermaid type unit thing going from land to sea.
Ah that's right, I remember seeing that in the trailer. That is a very significant change, and I'm excited to see how they implement a leader unit and make it balanced. I'm very excited for the game, I think it looks great.

Warbits is a decent AW clone on iOS, but Lost Frontier by Mika Mobile is superior.

If you're interested in a cool, different spin on AW (magical Western), definitely check out Lost Frontier. It's solid and has some fun ideas.

lfscreenshot_1a1.png

Lost Frontier was cool, but it feels kind of budget compared to Advance Wars.

Dryk

if I can play that game multiplayer by passing my phone around then I'll grab it right now
You can!

Though it's worth noting that the power system is a little wack because you always have access to whichever power you need for the situation, and there's no naval units. Still, it's a good game.

To be honest I haven't ever stuck with an SRPG for more than single digit hours. The whole genre isn't for me! I'm too afraid of missing things or making wrong moves that I feel like I have to be glued to a FAQ the entire time.

Wars was an exception because of how simple it was and the CO mechanic was fun and I liked the characters. It's like an arcade SRPG.
Bummer, Fire Emblem is pretty straight forward compared to, say, Disgaea or even Final Fantasy Tactics. But I understand if it's not your thing.

plufim

Days of Ruin was such a great direction the series needed to go in, I felt like if they tried one more time with a 3DS AW they would have struck gold like they did with Awakening
100% agree. Could have gotten both series up and running, with releases on alternate years.

Ah well.

Warbits is a decent AW clone on iOS, but Lost Frontier by Mika Mobile is superior.

If you're interested in a cool, different spin on AW (magical Western), definitely check out Lost Frontier. It's solid and has some fun ideas.

lfscreenshot_1a1.png

Sold! this one is on Android!

It's skipped a single system guys. No need to be so dramatic when that was the case with Star Fox, Metroid, Punchout (that skipped 2 gens), Pikmin, Donkey Kong Country (although there was 64 and Jungle Beat), etc

We're almost hitting the 10 year mark from their last release. We'd all love to see something at this point, but this series probably hasn't been as lucrative as they had hoped.

Top Bottom