• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wtf is IS doing with the Wars series?

They replaced it with Fire Emblem...
Not really, IS was making Fire Emblem and Advance Wars at the same time during the GBA and DS days. They opted to make eShop games like the Pushmo series and Codename STEAM instead of Wars during this gen. The two series are not mutually exclusive.

SkyOdin

It is a shame that Days of Ruin didn't sell well. It was my favorite game in the franchise, and was taking the gameplay mechanics and unit design of the series in the right direction. Dialing back the crazy CO powers and focusing on viable mid-game units over crazy-expensive super-units was a great course-correction after the insanity of Dual Strike. It also had the best story of the series, and a better story than many Fire Emblem games I can mention.

I hope IS does get back to the Advance Wars franchise eventually. Nintendo seems to be in the mood for taking risks right now, so I hope that they think of Advance Wars.

It is a shame that Days of Ruin didn't sell well. It was my favorite game in the franchise, and was taking the gameplay mechanics and unit design of the series in the right direction. Dialing back the crazy CO powers and focusing on viable mid-game units over crazy-expensive super-units was a great course-correction after the insanity of Dual Strike. It also had the best story of the series, and a better story than many Fire Emblem games I can mention.

I hope IS does get back to the Advance Wars franchise eventually. Nintendo seems to be in the mood for taking risks right now, so I hope that they think of Advance Wars.
As much as I enjoyed Days of Ruin, I think they should go back to the light and colorful tone of previous entries for the health of the franchise. A lot of the charm and appeal of Advance Wars came from the colorful cast of characters and light-hearted nature of their conflicts.

Days of Ruin is a good game but it was totally unnecessary to change the visual style of the series. It just looks terrible compared to other installments.

As much as I love Fire Emblem I do kind of resent it's success because it lessens the likelihood of a new Advance Wars.

Yep. Back to fun military-pop Wars World, please. DoR was embarrassingly dull (well, Lin and Waylon were good, Tasha wasn't bad either I guess, but The Beast totally should've been a usable CO).

However, remove the overpowered 2nd tier of CO Powers, just 1 tier is enough (except for maybe 1 or 2 chars. whose gimmick is specifically a 2nd level of Power); then, keep CO Powers only being usable and building-up when the CO is DoR-style attached to a unit on the battlefield.

But, if CO's attached unit dies, rather than being able to respawn and Load into a different unit, instead they can't return for the rest of that match. Maybe they're even wounded for some amount of in-game overworld time, so you could be left facing progressing into a mission without a CO to use, just units, if you're careless with your roster.

Keep the CO zones-of-influence, but they only affect units directly square-adjacent to the CO-attached unit, so units can only take advantage of it like "bodyguards". And unlike DoR, this aura never grows. Instead, make it so that CO Zones can be remotely projected & AoE-amplified upon a large area at a distance, only by a special vehicle unit like a mobile 'Comms' unit or something (which is only active when the CO is inside it specifically). Targeting reticle like a Missile Silo's, Zone a patch of terrain per start-of-turn to affect friendly units in that larger, distant area.

So, this CO-ridden 'Comms' support unit, could be like the Queen chess piece to the static building that is the game's King, the HQ; now, for some extra cat-and-mouse between opponents, as they optionally hunt each other's Comms units besides the regular HQ-capture-to-win mechanic. A tangible in-match presence for the COs adding optional gameplay depth, at the risk of losing your Power if they're destroyed while on the battlefield.

Combine these with some additions of game mechanics like a simple Day/Night cycle where Fog-of-War only happens at Night which is every other Turn, or even a simple Capture-based Tech-tree for unlocking Special units to encourage fighting over Properties for more than just funds (e.g., must capture and keep at least 9 Factories to build Md. Artillery, or 5 Factories and a Seaport to build amphibious Hovercrafts, or 10 Cities and 3 Airports to build Jumbo Jet transports or gunship Battleplanes, or something).

...but anyway, if they're gonna revive it at all as a Switch Wars, it's indeed likely gonna follow the model of new Fire Emblem, so bleh.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You'd think Fire Emblem's success would give them a free pass to work on it again.

I always preferred FE to AW, so I'm not complaining that we're getting so much of it now, but I'd loooove to see a new AW game. Reboot, old cast, DoR sequel, I don't care.

The music in these games was boss. Sturm's theme, Jess's theme, Lin's theme, so good.

You'd think Fire Emblem's success would give them a free pass to work on it again.

I always preferred FE to AW, so I'm not complaining that we're getting so much of it now, but I'd loooove to see a new AW game. Reboot, old cast, DoR sequel, I don't care.
I mean, most people here are assuming that IS isn't working on Wars because Nintendo won't let them. I find it far more likely that IS isn't working on Wars because they'd rather work on Fire Emblem and other new IP. The fact that Wars skipped 3DS kind of proves that. If IS had a good pitch for Wars I'm sure Nintendo would let them go for it. They just don't seem interested atm. They let them make Codename STEAM for christsake, the problem isn't that IS doesn't have freedom.

WaterAstro

Never really liked them. I still prefer playing Nectaris/Military Madness and the Daisenryaku series.

Hex grid is superior.

Thanks! Will get on pc

On that platform you also have Into the Breach coming up, which is in the spirit of Advance Wars but the enemies are kaiju-like creatures.

8w7sQEF.gif

herod

Will we ever see another Wars game after Days of Ruin? Imagine how amazing it would be on the Switch. Local multiplayer, online play. Intelligent Systems is really dropping the ball with their best series.
It would be even better on tablets as it would benefit from the much larger market. Hopefully Nintendo are working on a cross platform version.

TheSun

Man this series is one my favorites. Loved the gameplay sooo much.

Seeing as there are a metric assload of clones, I dont care if IS ever returns.

spiritfox

Man this series is one my favorites. Loved the gameplay sooo much.

Seeing as there are a metric assload of clones, I dont care if IS ever returns.

Except none of the clones really capture what makes AW great. The mechanics are there, but the charm isn't.

Draxal

As much as I enjoyed Days of Ruin, I think they should go back to the light and colorful tone of previous entries for the health of the franchise. A lot of the charm and appeal of Advance Wars came from the colorful cast of characters and light-hearted nature of their conflicts.

TBH, with all real life military conflicts at the time, I think there's a reason decided to focus away from that.

AW2 got delayed in Japan due to 9/11 iiirc. I just could see Nintendo thinking that its poor for the Nintendo brand overall, unless they werent with a completely different focus.

Only bumping this, because I forgot to check back on this topic.

I should have been more specific, and said that the Wars series does not seem to be in the minds of the general Nintendo audience. I'm just saying that it's super niche just like Fire Emblem used to be. No disrespect to those of who have fond memories.

For most people, it's really about Nintendo's more higher profile franchises/series.

Yeah just stop while you're ahead, you don't know a damn thing.

LOL at the defensiveness of this post.

Jawmuncher

I doubt IS is only doing Fire Emblem from here on out. They have the success now to do more than one thing. Bringing back AW with changes that can bring in more people is bound to happen at some point. It's a safer bet for having more than one successful franchise and making money than doing something like steam again.

Firemind

I doubt IS is only doing Fire Emblem from here on out. They have the success now to do more than one thing. Bringing back AW with changes that can bring in more people is bound to happen at some point. It's a safer bet for having more than one successful franchise and making money than doing something like steam again.
They are doing continuous content on Heroes. Echoes is supposed to be a series starting with Gaiden. Then you have the new mainline FE. Not sure if they're gonna bother with a series with no presence in Japan.

spiritfox

They are doing continuous content on Heroes. Echoes is supposed to be a series starting with Gaiden. Then you have the new mainline FE. Not sure if they're gonna bother with a series with no presence in Japan.

Heroes is low maintenance and we do not have confirmation that there will be a new Echoes game soon. There's also the team that was doing Paper Mario, though I do not know if they're still a team. Having more than one IP to work on is good too, if FE falls off again in the future they have other options.

Looking up the synopsis for days of ruin, how the hell was this game rated E?

Here's an excerpt
The plot of Days of Ruin is considerably darker than, and unrelated to, the plots of previous games. Almost 90% of humanity has been killed off following devastating meteor strikes which have destroyed much of civilization and caused a massive dust cloud to blot out the sun, preventing photosynthesis and thereby preventing the growing of crops. Scattered survivors pick through the wreckage, and the remnants of several military superpowers patrol the ravaged landscape, some factions protecting the innocent while the others prey upon them.

Lutherian

I had trouble reading your title (and getting that "IS" stands for "Intelligent System"), was affraid I read Wtf is ISIS doing with the War series".

Maybe you should have named it : "WTF is Ingelligent System doing with the Advance War games ?"

They are probably trying to get approval from the publisher to make another.
I doubt that. Intelligent Systems could work on Wars if they wanted to, they are one of Nintendo's top studios outside of EAD. I don't think they are very interested in a new Wars title at the moment. That said, maybe do a petition or something, let them know the demand is there? That might catch their interest and Nintendo's.

bufkus

You pretty much know that Wars is dead when Nintendo is not only not bothering to sue imitators (like Wargroove) but actively encouraging them.

You pretty much know that Wars is dead when Nintendo is not only not bothering to sue imitators (like Wargroove) but actively encouraging them.
They could never sue Chucklefish over Wargroove. Gameplay mechanics and concepts cannot be owned, only stuff like art assets, characters, names, places, etc. Imitation is completely legal and even encouraged in the game industry (this should be obvious btw, studios have been imitating each other for as long as video games have been made).

However, you are right in that Nintendo promoting a game like Wargroove is a sign that they don't have anything similar in development. Similar to what they've done with FAST RMX and Redout compared to F-Zero.

Top Bottom