• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K15 First Footage and Gameplay changes

First off screen footage courtesy of IGN
lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwvVRqMIrWs

We have our first glimpse of the game in motion(sadly the wrestlers couldn't move too, mutitasking is hard).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ePh672BX6Y

Some gameplay changes from IGN,
If I were forced at gunpoint to describe what I played in one word, it would simply be “different.” Now don’t freak out, that’s not a euphemism of some kind. I’m not grasping for a polite way to tell you that Yuke’s and Visual Concepts screwed the pooch. In fact, I really dig the direction 2K15 is taking the franchise. It’s a very clear step down a path that few wrestling games have ever walked. I’m here to tell you that WWE 2K15 is, for lack of a better term, a wrestling sim.

Wrestling fans know the drill: the two wrestlers go right into a classic collar-and-elbow lockup to jockey for position. It starts like rock, paper, scissors – with each player pressing one of three face buttons, and the winner advancing to a more advantageous position. From here, both players play what is essentially a lock-picking game, rotating the right stick until they find the “sweet spot,” and holding it there to improve their respective situation. During this time, the player with advantage can land strikes, or even wrench whatever limb they’ve grabbed a hold of. It’s a lot more like the opening stages of a real match than running right up to your opponent for a spine-buster the moment the bell rings.
Strikes come out at a speed more in line with how actual people punch and kick, making attack chains more deliberate and satisfying to land. It makes exchanges a lot less breezy, but is a fight between two 300+ pound men supposed to be breezy?

Grappling has undergone another key change: the four intermediary grapple stances are gone. Once you’re out of the opening chain-wrestling phase, you just press or hold the grapple button along with a direction to launch right into a move. You can still do a basic headlock to set up rudimentary moves, and the returning limb targeting system, but your core grappling moves will come right from standing. Again, this just makes sense. Once the “feeling out” period is over, how often do guys put one another into a specific hold before doing a suplex? They don’t; they just do it.
It doesn’t end there, either. 2K15 packs a new stamina system that you absolutely must manage if you want to succeed. Running in circles around the ring to escape your opponent might seem like a fun way to troll someone online, until you’ve burned your wrestler out to the point of no return and you’re throwing spaghetti-armed punches for the rest of the match. That might not sound like the fun you want to have with your wrestling game, but it’s the exact kind of thoughtful limitation that I’ve been missing – the kind that has always kept matches from truly mimicking the storytelling and psychology of the matches I grew up loving.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

10537486_10153054899507729_752332185991435069_o.jpg

That's not footage... That's like Ken Burns effect on still images.

Edit.

Holy shit this grapple system sounds horrible and complex and nothing like wrestling. I absolutely hate comments like "a fight between two 300 lbs men shouldn't be easy..." They completely miss the point of professional wrestling, a choreographed show, not a back alley brawl.

fader

tumblr_mbnagfJuZu1ri9yduo1_250.gif

That was..... Yeah....

That description sounds a lot like Fire Pro Wrestling enhanced.... Interesting...

They basically just put a moving screenshot on Youtube and called it a trailer...........

tumblr_na790f2pta1sbzwus7g.gif

I don't know about those gameplay changes either. Sounds very UFC. Will have to see how it works whenever they decide to give us some real footage.

Gameplay sounds really promising and exactly what a lot of people were hoping for over the years.

Not a fan of the no-movement trailer though. It's just asking to be mocked. Show the game 2k!

theWB27

Wrestling fans better get used to this as long as 2k is involved. They historically seem to hate to show off NBA too. Drip feeding info is giving them too much credit.

KAP151

That sounds fucking horrible.

Is it really that hard to deliver a simple grapple/striking system with amazing visuals? Id go and play UFC if I wanted that.

Throw in a huge roster, a great CAW and BAM - you're done.

This was done eons ago on 20 year old hardware. Boggles my mind that they are still trying to re-invent the wheel with completely unnecessary shit like this.

Hasney

I like the sound of the gameplay changes. Hell, anything different at this point will get me interested from the crap they've been offering. There needs to be a demo of this.

Rapstah

Grappling has undergone another key change: the four intermediary grapple stances are gone. Once you’re out of the opening chain-wrestling phase, you just press or hold the grapple button along with a direction to launch right into a move. You can still do a basic headlock to set up rudimentary moves, and the returning limb targeting system, but your core grappling moves will come right from standing. Again, this just makes sense. Once the “feeling out” period is over, how often do guys put one another into a specific hold before doing a suplex? They don’t; they just do it.
I haven't read this part in context... but this sounds like the author making changes done for WWE '12, the game released in 2011, sound like they're being made now. Seriously, this is how it has worked since then.

Alfredo

The written description of this gameplay makes the game sound kind of boring... and the writer sounds like they're making excuses for it.

But, eh, whatever. I just hope the creation tools are still in there, and they've been improved.

I mean, if you really want a pro "wrestling sim," the most important part of pro wrestling is making weird character gimmicks and dumb storylines!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I haven't read this part in context... but this sounds like the author making changes done for WWE '12, the game released in 2011, sound like they're being made now. Seriously, this is how it has worked since then.

No, it's not. In the last game you have four different grapples that you can use and each one has four moves from it. Here it says you just push a button and a direction to launch directly to a move (like when an opponent is stunned in 2K14, from the sounds of it). Presumably it cuts the number of different moves any given wrestler can have, but in 2K14 the premade wrestlers only used half of the available attacks anyway.

Dizzy

Banned
you just press or hold the grapple button along with a direction to launch right into a move. You can still do a basic headlock to set up rudimentary moves, and the returning limb targeting system, but your core grappling moves will come right from standing. Again, this just makes sense. Once the “feeling out” period is over, how often do guys put one another into a specific hold before doing a suplex? They don’t; they just do it.
Sounds like they're doing away with the traditional grappling system.

Theres a reason why Yukes finally put that in the smackdown games. Every good wrestling game has had one, every game that tried to do away with it for more realism failed.

The current system is horrible. It's neither a good arcade brawler or an effective sim - it fails at both.

Changes sound positive to me - for those who want a arcade brawler, they should totally make one.

Rapstah

No, it's not. In the last game you have four different grapples that you can use and each one has four moves from it. Here it says you just push a button and a direction to launch directly to a move (like when an opponent is stunned in 2K14, from the sounds of it).

You're right, I was thinking of running attacks. This, though?
You can still do a basic headlock to set up rudimentary moves, and the returning limb targeting system
Edit: I was confused because I've been playing Smackdown vs Raw 2007 and what he mentions is that system, except the grapples you end up in are the WWE 2k14 grapples where you can do four attacks or a limb target attack. Limb attacks are not new at all.

Striker

No, it's not. In the last game you have four different grapples that you can use and each one has four moves from it. Here it says you just push a button and a direction to launch directly to a move (like when an opponent is stunned in 2K14, from the sounds of it).
Each game had different windows of reversing so some games, like WWE '12, had a balanced window. Whereas the '11 version was less so but reversing the basic chain grapples was easy as tying your shoes. It made even trying pointless. They improved it a lot since then, but still isn't perfect. He's right about limb targeting. It's been in for a few years now. It 'returning' would mean it went away.

The biggest obstacle is changing how running moves are performed and how the stamina system is changed. Curious about these supposed changes, so a decent gameplay trailer would be ideal until more reveals come out.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You're right, I was thinking of running attacks. This, though?

Missed that part entirely the first time I read it. I would guess pressing X with no direction would put you in a headlock with the weak throws and early match holds, using a direction along with tapping or holding the button would go directly to a stronger move. That means no wristlock or the other headlock to lead to different types of moves. Hard to say though, it always be some sort of misunderstanding too. Game previews!

edit: Limb targeting definitely isn't new, but he's making the rest sound like a more significant change than expected so "returning" makes some sense if that's true.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That grapple system sounds HORRIBLE. This was going to be the first WWE game I bought since '07. Hype is completely gone.

Majukun

gameplay sound all kind of horrible.
all the series needed was a good physics engine so that the action wouldn't feel "on rails",new animations,and bring back the gameplay back when it had depth

Rapstah

The "returning" limb target system could also be a weird way of saying it is still in the game like last year, I guess.

Jamie OD

The teaser reminds me of Cena and Orton's staredown at the 2011 Royal Rumble. That also had zero crowd reaction so at least we know the game is realistic.

That gameplay description really doesn't inspire confidence. It seems like gameplay in the recent games keep getting more and more convoluted for the sake of realism. I'll obviously reserve final impressions until I see actual footage but until then I'll stick to Know Your Role and Shut Your Mouth.

ksdixon

"So no match starts in the WWE and so if you use the grappling button at the beginning of a fight at WWE 2K15, it only triggers the new chain wrestling system. Wrestling fans know what it is about: Both wrestlers go directly to an upright grappling position and fight for a better position. It starts as rock-scissors-paper: Each player presses one of three buttons and the winner of the round brings in a more advantageous position."

So it's the return of SVR06's start-of-the-match minigame, where we used to shove the opponent, knock them on their ass, or enter a test of strength. Only now it's going to look retarded, as wrestlers will probably enter into a collor and elbow tie-up like in the old SEGA MegaDrive games, and hold each other for a few seconds, before one of them transitions into a sideheadlock or go-behind-armbar. How freaking anti-climactic is that? It's like in 2006 where Sting was built-up with a blood feud against Jeff Jarrett in TNA. Sting goes through a metamorphasis and all this stuff... and the match starts off with a damn sideheadlock rest hold by Sting as the TNA mutants chant 'this is awesome', before Sting does the spot where he backs Jarrett into the ropes and is fired-off accross the ring. Every match will start off this way, we don't even have what we had in the past with the option for a punch or test of strength. Most henoius is there is the removal of freedom. I'm sorry, but somebody like Brock Lesnar is likely to start a heated match by charging in with a closeline etc.

"From here both fighters then basically playing a game that recalls the snap of a lock. Both analog sticks are long rotates until you find the sticking point and hold in order to improve their own situation. In the meantime, the player an advantage can land the first hit or take the next best part of the body of his opponent in the pliers. It is more reminiscent of the way, like a real battle begins, in which you just do not attack with a spinebuster as soon as the match starts."

Oh for *Censored*'s sake. This is some UFC game crap, look for it to have ugly user interface stuff which pops up, taking you completely out of the action and reminding you it's a game. It better be hide-able in the options display menu (but the BREAKING POINT submission meter isn't in 1P vs CPU matches). It better not show-up when simming a CPU vs CPU match.

"There is another important change in Grappling: The four Grappling Poses no longer exists. Once you no longer find yourself in open battle, you just need to keep the grappling button and when you move the analog stick in a certain direction, it starts the next move. From a simple headlock out, can you still execute more moves, but the most important grappling maneuvers take place from the state. But that makes sense. How often fixed to an opponent in a position to determine, before one sets a suplex? Not at all. You just do it."

So.. we will grab a headlock as our starting postion all the time by holding the grapple button, or we don't have a starting position and we go into a suplex move by holding the grapple button and pressing a direction on the analouge stick? It can't be both.

Am I reading this correctly, only 4 grapple moves? (Up, Down, Left, Right) on analouge stick? 6 if we count Diagonally Up and Diagonally Down? 10 if we say that Diagonally Up/Down Left is a different move to Diagonally Up/Down Right etc. This seems even more limited then the old analouge stick control scheme from SVR07-SVR2011, since there are not grapple tie-ups anymore which used to contain a choice of four moves each. It certainly sounds like we're getting less move slots overall.

How are we supposed to pull off a big move like a Powerbomb instead of a crappy quick grapple? Will we have to hold R1 again to signify we want to perform a "Hard Grapple", or will our moveset magically change once the opponent is damaged enough, but then we can't use the early match "quick grapple moves" anymore?

Top Bottom