• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Draft |OT| A McMahon on every show

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Right. Sheamus felt like a traditional 80's interview.

"Shamo, go up, tell them you're excited, give some background that you want to be winning, that you should be winning, give people a chance to believe in you"

and he did...

So I see Cesaro being told similar things. He just delivered slightly better.

The thing with Sheamus is they push him really well. So he probably figures he can't be assed rocking the boat. Cesaro gets really weird booking.

Not sure how you can look at the draft and consider it a lotto. Go down both lists and gauge the amount of heat each superstar has. Raw is actually the same product it was last week moving forward. Almost nothing has changed. They still have the same major players at the top of the card down to the mid/low card.

Smackdown is full of used up, old talent who are in desperate need of a career revival and some of the greener NXT talent. With that roster it seems like Smackdown is more of an NXT 2.0 than Raw Lite.

Does appear to be any randomness or lotto to these drafts. They've pretty clearly positioned Smackdown as the B show and even pushed NXT down farther into a C show.

My point is that you could have achieved what was the final result of this draft with a random lottery. Nothing better was achieved by having humans involved. Three things could have happened due to the draft - WWE could have made steps to getting better, continued as normal, or gotten worse. Looking at the draft results, the end result seems to hint that the needle is pointing to continuing the norm or getting slightly worse.

The decision makers in the company have chosen to make changes that in no way help or make things better. They have missed an golden opportunity to improve things by making no changes of importance that single improvement is on the way. With their decisions they seem happy to embrace the norm.

The fact that a bunch of human beings were involved with the positioning of wrestlers on the roster should have resulted in smarter placement, and that did not happen. Having people involved did not improve anything, and a lotto system arguably could have gave a more interesting end result in this case.

Gorillaz

Idk if anyone saw on Epsn just now but lebatard said he has a hot scoop on a possible trade later tonight

Just came through my Epsn app. It was mentioned on espn 1.

kirblar

Idk if anyone saw on Epsn just now but lebatard said he has a hot scoop on a possible trade later tonight

I expect Paige<->Carmella to avoid a Del Rio meltdown.

Brie's eventually going to Smackdown cause of Cena anyway.

Ithil

I mean I know I just said this

So how long before they break the separation and introduce talent trades to swap people? If I recall it took about 6 months in the 2002 split, and they tried a hell of a lot harder to make SD not a B-show in that split compared to this one.

But even I would be impressed by one day and zero actual split shows before a trade.

Caderfix

I mean I know I just said this

But even I would be impressed by one day and zero actual split shows before a trade.

The next RAW will start with Vince getting in the ring for a promo, calling Shane and Bryan and saying "Son, what the fuck? Seriously, I'm not even mad, just disappointed. Let's redo the draft."

DeathyBoy

Banned
No idea why that talentless hack gets pushes, must have some dirt on steph or vince

He's not talentless.

Dude is a surprisingly good worker. Him and Cesaro beating the shit out of each other is always a really good match, and it's not all Cesaro. Problem is he's been there so long that he's kinda done everything.

Google

How is he a bit different?

He's not North American.

He isnt 3% body fat.

As a Brit, I automatically get closer to the guys I can identify with - and him being Irish helps me identify.

Same with Finn. Same with Lynch. Same with Regal. Same with Barrett. I'll cheer for any of those over your standard (and good) North American mid carder.

Ronin Ray

A trade that should happen and help both brands.

Raw gets: Randy Orton, Dolph Ziggler and Kalisto

Smackdown gets: Cesaro, Paige and the rights to the next 2 NXT call ups.

WWE's youtube channel just posted Cesaro's rant. Work confirmed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dV_z4Vy0xQ

It's a good look if there are people actually upset about where they ended up. It seemed like every other comment last night was about being happy they were drafted and they didn't care where they were going. Cesaro's vent, shoot or not, was something different and it was on point. That's why it resonated with a lot of people.

WWE's youtube channel just posted Cesaro's rant. Work confirmed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dV_z4Vy0xQ
At a certain point I don't think they care. It's something for them to capitalize on and have people talking about

What he said made sense in kayfabe but also rang true in reality. It's like what they try to do every week but generally fail on

Same reason they do angles like the Shane thing, where he's the face saying "yeah boy this product sucks shit huh"

DeathyBoy

Banned
Or they decided to use it. People are weirdly quick to jump to "They've planned this from the start!"any time WWE actually use something, even though they can't plan for five minutes into the future.

Well, given it's the first good promo he's cut since he's been in the WWE they may as well use it.

jmdajr

My point is that you could have achieved what was the final result of this draft with a random lottery. Nothing better was achieved by having humans involved. Three things could have happened due to the draft - WWE could have made steps to getting better, continued as normal, or gotten worse. Looking at the draft results, the end result seems to hint that the needle is pointing to continuing the norm or getting slightly worse.

The decision makers in the company have chosen to make changes that in no way help or make things better. They have missed an golden opportunity to improve things by making no changes of importance that single improvement is on the way. With their decisions they seem happy to embrace the norm.

The fact that a bunch of human beings were involved with the positioning of wrestlers on the roster should have resulted in smarter placement, and that did not happen. Having people involved did not improve anything, and a lotto system arguably could have gave a more interesting end result in this case.

Hey fella!

The thing with cesaro's interview is it doesn't matter whether it's a work or a shoot, to me, it felt like a shoot and was believable.

I love wrestling most when the line is blurred and you're not sure. The fact people are wondering means Cesaro did a good job

Yup, came across as last minute rush job on SD Live.

In regards to Bayley, who was rumored for some time to be called up, she was originally slated to be drafted as well, but was then they had a change of heart and decided against it.

Splitting up AA? Lol wtf, glad that never fucking happened.

fcb01d9f46c430e1133f3729eae90a3292ee0b2c_hq.jpg

Bayley still could show up as Sasha's tag partner. I'm not sure what that means for her status on Raw or Smackdown though. They may have just wanted to hold it back as a surprise.

That would leave the women's division on NXT a little lacking though.

Google

The thing with cesaro's interview is it doesn't matter whether it's a work or a shoot, to me, it felt like a shoot and was believable.

I love wrestling most when the line is blurred and you're not sure. The fact people are wondering means Cesaro did a good job

I completely agree.

I was just enjoying the "OH MY GOD, CESARO IS BEING REAL!!!! FUCK YOU WWE!!!!" posts I was seeing in other places.

Toki767

Bayley still could show up as Sasha's tag partner. I'm not sure what that means for her status on Raw or Smackdown though. They may have just wanted to hold it back as a surprise.

That would leave the women's division on NXT a little lacking though.

The women's division on NXT right now is literally just Asuka and Bayley. They brought up everyone on the second tier (Alexa, Carmella, Nia, even Dana a while back).

Which leaves a bunch of enhancement talent and people who are still super green.

HHH is probably scouting more women over men now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Gable interview was a little weird last night.

I've not seen enough of them but is that their schtick? Act fucking dumb?

Definitely off the cuff. They do better when it is expected.

DJChuy

Smackdown has great star power which is great for building up Smackdown's attendance / ratings, but the roster is lacking. Will still watch it mainly for AJ.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I completely agree.

I was just enjoying the "OH MY GOD, CESARO IS BEING REAL!!!! FUCK YOU WWE!!!!" posts I was seeing in other places.

Kind of weird isn't it? How people hate WWE but they still watch? I can't think of many other shows that do this. Maybe Heroes did.

Google

Gable and Jordan are lovable jocks. It's their thing.

Right. I've enjoyed plenty of their matches in which they play lovable, exuberant jocks but last night on the interview they seemed like they were in week one of promo camp and Regal is critiquing them in front of their peers.

Kind of weird isn't it? How people hate WWE but they still watch?

I get it though. It's a pantomime. They don't hate WWE as a brand. They hate WWE as a character. In the same way they hated Mr. McMahon in the late 90's but loved the shit out of everything Vince McMahon was doing behind the scenes to set the show up.

ReiGun

The women's division on NXT right now is literally just Asuka and Bayley. They brought up everyone on the second tier (Alexa, Carmella, Nia, even Dana a while back).

Which leaves a bunch of enhancement talent and people who are still super green.

HHH is probably scouting more women over men now.

Exactly this. People want them to call Bayley up now (and justifiably so), but after last night, that would leave Asuka to put the entire Women's Division there on her back.

If she's Sasha's partner on BG like everyone says, fine. But I say keep that as a one night "preview" sort of thing and call her up permanently a few months later when you have a few more women built up there.

Sheamus is a great worker, but I can completely understand why people don't like him based off of booking alone.
Kind of weird isn't it? How people hate WWE but they still watch? I can't think of many other shows that do this. Maybe Heroes did.

I was one of the few that loved it from Claire's first jump to her last. :(

Never had time to watch the reboot, but since I haven't heard anything about it - good OR bad - I have to assume it went over like a lead balloon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Arrow? Dexter? Under the Dome? Sword Art Online? Any multi-cam sitcom?

Do those people hate the show? I have no idea. I'm usually laughing at Arrow fans because I can always fall back on this gem
flip9nyo3.gif

FStop7

Banned
Work or shoot, Cesaro's speech is accurate. Like I said, I very briefly watched the draft. It was 20% in-ring talent and 80% Daniel Bryant, Mick Foley, Shane, and Stephanie mugging for the camera.

Tagyhag

Someone told me that Sasha said Bayley was NOT her partner for Battleground.

But considering how much WWE loves last minute changes, and they don't care about giving explanations about the changes, then I could still see her being it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to see the reactions when Sasha's partner on Sunday is Paige. One final disappointment for all of you.

That's probably happening. Her ovaries are bursting with excitement.

I was one of the few that loved it from Claire's first jump to her last. :(

Never had time to watch the reboot, but since I haven't heard anything about it - good OR bad - I have to assume it went over like a lead balloon.

Oh, they rebooted Heroes? Did anyone notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom