• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown Game Informer Mag Details [Up8: Sid Meier Talks XCOM]

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt05891

Always Auto Shot. It was a waste to do other things because accuracy x 3 shots is a better chance to hit then snap every time.

r1chard

Bummer. I was thinking in preordering to get my first X-Com like experience, but without proper AI, I refuse.

So now the old game is my only way, it seems.

I never got the feeling that the AI in the original was all that bright. A bunch of simple rules with a bunch of randomness thrown in.

Edit: actually, make that "a random walk generator with some very basic rules thrown in"

... and it worked :)

fresquito

I never got the feeling that the AI in the original was all that bright. A bunch of simple rules with a bunch of randomness thrown in.

Edit: actually, make that "a random walk generator with some very basic rules thrown in"

... and it worked :)
From the videos I've seen, it's far worse here. I don't know, maybe it's been fixed already (they're from v.8.5), but I don't think aliens run into the player without even shooting in X-COM. I'm sure it will be improved over time, but I'm in "try X-COM mode" now and I thought it was a good option (after passing on the Steam deal and refusing to pay full price now :lol)

Why would you feel a need to preorder a game that just been announced?
Minecraft-like business model.

From the videos I've seen, it's far worse here. I don't know, maybe it's been fixed already (they're from v.8.5), but I don't think aliens run into the player without even shooting in X-COM. I'm sure it will be improved over time, but I'm in "try X-COM mode" now and I thought it was a good option (after passing on the Steam deal and refusing to pay full price now :lol)

Minecraft-like business model.

Ah, Xenonauts? I thought you were talking about XCOM still. Nevermind then.

ruttyboy

I just don't see any reason that has to apply from absolute moment one. It's entirely viable to give people the experience of overwhelmingly superior forces hemming them in by starting them off easy and then rapidly, aggressively ramping up the challenge and making the player's adversaries gain in power far faster than the player does.

Because it's a different game. This is not a remake of X-COM; it's a new game in the franchise that needs to distinguish itself from the original, take into account developments in gaming over the last fifteen years, and sell itself in a very different market and to a very different audience. Look at Civilization: every entry of that series reimagines its fundamental mechanics in often significant ways, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse -- not because any given developer didn't play and love Civ 2 (or whatever) but because the old game is still there and they're working on a new one.

Literally every time there's a franchise revival of a well-liked series from the past, people flip out and issue ill-advised hyperbole about how X, Y, Z change from the precise mechanics of the previous entry will ruin everything forever!! It is rarely based on any meaningful analysis of how the game works in practice (because people are going on out-of-context scraps of information) and they rarely line up that well with people's actual response to the game once it's released.

Again, it's one thing to discuss the mechanics and say why you think a change to X, Y, or Z is problematic, but you've leapt completely beyond measured analysis and to the point of undirected fanrage based on a very tiny amount of information.

OK, if you're going to accuse me of hyperbole and fanrage, I'd like you to point out where I've said this is a terrible game or that the franchise is ruined forever please. All I've ever said is that I am personally very disappointed and that I feel that the changes they have made are not to my liking. The only rage I have felt is at you telling me what I should want.

PKrockin

They do. Often, in fact.

r1chard

From the videos I've seen, it's far worse here.
I was serious when I said random walk with some very basic rules. The AI in XCOM (especially the first one, which was the one I played the most) was really, really basic. I don't recall it getting much better in Terror From The Deep.

Edit: wait, people are talking about Xenonauts now? How confusing. I thought this thread was about XCOM :)

Honestly, I don't care if this game ends up being "Xcom for Babyz". It's still closer to what I want than the most epic modern shooter with details down to the smallest glossed mapped nipple hair.

I learned to love Fallout 3, I can learn to love this.

People are always complaining about their backlogs these days and so many interesting things are being made. I need a better sales pitch than, "hey, this isn't an fps so buy it you ungrateful bastard."

I'm not even saying this game will necessarily be good, or that even if it is good there won't be some indescribable loss compared to the original, or whatever, I'm just saying that hearing about a few mechanics without much context and deciding that the game is made by casual posers who want to piss on the series' legacy is hella dumb.

Nobody is saying that firaxis are "casual posers" but the gap between the slick pr videos and the few facts that they have released about the gameplay have stopped us in our tracks and made us think. I know that we are not supposed to think when on the hype train but come on.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
People are always complaining about their backlogs these days and so many interesting things are being made. I need a better sales pitch than, "hey, this isn't an fps so buy it you ungrateful bastard."

play these interesting games then, don't let these corporate bastards fool you!

epmode

It's more than just the actual UI in combat. Why can't I see my soldiers' stats when giving out equipment?
UFO Extender can do exactly that. I don't believe it shows every stat but it's customizable and you can definitely get the most useful stuff in there.

It also allows you to auto-equip soldiers so that the game remembers loadouts between missions, auto-equips flares at night, allows you to change the order of troops in the Skyranger, lets you get to the soldier stats screen in places where it would otherwise be impossible, etc. It's lovely.

duckroll

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...you-should-care-about-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

Totally worthless article (lol), but NEW SCREENS! :D

yNbbU.jpg

Nk7De.jpg

HUE19.jpg

robin2

There's a new article on game informer; it doesn't say anything though, it' like a promotional thing I think.

But there are 2 new screenshots.

edit:
duckroll preceded me.

Bigfoot

Looks great. I will buy this but I would still love an iOS port of the original with good touchscreen controls and bug fixes (graphics can stay the same).

robin2

I'm about to blow your mind, this is the same area in a single mission that progressively blows everything up:

http://i.imgur.com/SnDwR.jpg[IMG]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Nk7De.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/gasstationshothud_02_fsxr2.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Also, on the second screen there are pidgeons on the roof... Could they be, like mices in [I]The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/I], an occult species of aliens?!?!

We'll have to research it.

epmode

Also, on the second screen there are pidgeons on the roof... Could they be, like mices in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, an occult species of aliens?!?!
I thought I'd take the time to lament the fact that no one bothered to put up a Youtube video for RUN YOU PIGEONS, IT'S ROBERT FROST!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game seems right up my alley outside the potential for me to totally suck at it, I'm not one for grand strategy stuff if the real time world view resembles that sort of thing... The visual style seems pretty good overall too, I love the new screens.

Btw if anyone needs a quick fix Xenowar seems decent and like it might evolve into something pretty special too... Nevermind the graphics (actually I like them more than UFO:AI's attempt for something more high spec) and amateur hour website... It seemingly gets frequent updates too... I can't say much more, I messed with it for a few minutes and never played X-COM... Oh, yeah, free!!!

Luigi87

I just started playing UFO Defense for the first time ever last week, and like others, based the characters names on a bunch of friends, and have been chronicling the hell out of it, and it has made me hyped for this one. Those screens be lookin' good.

OK, if you're going to accuse me of hyperbole and fanrage, I'd like you to point out where I've said this is a terrible game or that the franchise is ruined forever please.

I submit:

OK, those two things have confirmed my worst fears, it's pretty much 'My First X-com'.

Just so, so disappointed, and thank f*ck for Xenonauts.

(That's maybe not quite there on the latter point, but I definitely thought it qualified on "this is a terrible game.")

Again, my objection is on the severe, confident judgment of the game as a whole package combined with the demeaning comments about the development team. Your immediate assumption is that with the little tidbits of info you have, you can accurately guess that it's a game made by a team with no respect for the original or for titles of today that share similar values. When I point out the dev team specifically] addressing your concerns, you still can't bring yourself to even warily give the guys a chance -- no, your implication goes, they must be duplicitous or deficient in some way to make this game while saying the things they do. It's just a wearyingly negative attitude.

Jerykk

Banned
I just don't see any reason that has to apply from absolute moment one. It's entirely viable to give people the experience of overwhelmingly superior forces hemming them in by starting them off easy and then rapidly, aggressively ramping up the challenge and making the player's adversaries gain in power far faster than the player does.

Because it's a different game. This is not a remake of X-COM; it's a new game in the franchise that needs to distinguish itself from the original, take into account developments in gaming over the last fifteen years, and sell itself in a very different market and to a very different audience. Look at Civilization: every entry of that series reimagines its fundamental mechanics in often significant ways, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse -- not because any given developer didn't play and love Civ 2 (or whatever) but because the old game is still there and they're working on a new one.

Literally every time there's a franchise revival of a well-liked series from the past, people flip out and issue ill-advised hyperbole about how X, Y, Z change from the precise mechanics of the previous entry will ruin everything forever!! It is rarely based on any meaningful analysis of how the game works in practice (because people are going on out-of-context scraps of information) and they rarely line up that well with people's actual response to the game once it's released.

Again, it's one thing to discuss the mechanics and say why you think a change to X, Y, or Z is problematic, but you've leapt completely beyond measured analysis and to the point of undirected fanrage based on a very tiny amount of information.

If you've been playing games for long enough, you can make pretty accurate predictions about games that have yet to be released. For example, I knew that Splinter Cell: Conviction was going to be more of a shooter than a stealth game based on the information and media released ahead of the game. The removal of the ability to hide bodies, the Mark & Execute mechanic, the repeated emphasis on being faster-paced, more visceral and more cinematic, etc, were all pretty obvious indicators of the game's direction. Then, lo and behold, my predictions were confirmed once I played the game.

Occasionally, a modern remake and/or sequel will defy all expectations and end up being faithful to its predecessors. However, it's far more common to see games dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. This isn't to say that XCOM: Enemy Unknown will be a bad game or anything. I just don't expect it to be as deep or as challenging as the original.

KTallguy

Banned
Fireaxis is a smart developer, they will probably find the right balance between stripping the game of superfluous/needless micromanagement, fixing AI/UI/gameplay balance issues, and preserving the tactical combat and strategic element of saving the world from alien invasion.

Xcom 1 was a great game, but it's very clunky and unfriendly. It created a great, perilous atmosphere where you felt like death was around every corner, which I loved. But the death around every corner aspect also made the game impenetrable to all but a stalwart few. But a talented dev. like Fireaxis will probably figure out that balance of old and new.

So far my only negative on this game is that I wish the art was a bit creepier. Their engine looks a bit dated. But I'm willing to give it a chance to prove itself. Edit: Actually I'll say that the Engine is fine, just the art is a bit ... hmmm. It could be creepier. Again, need to see more.

ruttyboy

I submit:

(That's maybe not quite there on the latter point, but I definitely thought it qualified on "this is a terrible game.")

Again, my objection is on the severe, confident judgment of the game as a whole package combined with the demeaning comments about the development team. Your immediate assumption is that with the little tidbits of info you have, you can accurately guess that it's a game made by a team with no respect for the original or for titles of today that share similar values. When I point out the dev team specifically] addressing your concerns, you still can't bring yourself to even warily give the guys a chance -- no, your implication goes, they must be duplicitous or deficient in some way to make this game while saying the things they do. It's just a wearyingly negative attitude.

Wow, gret way to read into what I said what you think I said. Let's have a look at some of the actual things I've said shall we?

"I'll just say I wish this game all the success in the world, and fingers crossed its success might spawn a sequel that fulfills my personal wishes."

"And again I feel I must state that it could still be an awesome game (I hope it is), but I don't believe it will be awesome for the same reasons as the original."

"Yes, I agree, and I'm only saying this is a bad thing from my point of view (that of someone who wanted a remake to be functionally identical in terms of game mechanics)."

"I'm making conclusions based on the facts available that they have changed the formula enough that it is not what I would want from a 'remake'. It could still be a great, fun game and that's fine, but it won't be great and fun for the same reasons as the original."

"I'm not saying that this is going to be a bad game, it's just that it's looking more and more like X-Com-lite."

"Not saying it's the end of the world, but it is IMHO a massive decrease in complexity and inevitably it reduces choice. "

So as I've said (about five times now), it looks like the game has headed in a direction that I personally wish it hadn't. Is that not allowed?

As for not believing the claims of developers in the hype phase of a release? Yes, I'll freely admit that I don't believe anything they say, but then, after the past 20 years, I don't know how you could.

Occasionally, a modern remake and/or sequel will defy all expectations and end up being faithful to its predecessors. However, it's far more common to see games dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.

Well, we just went through this process recently with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and while the game certainly had its problems, a lot of the tiny differences from the original people noticed early on didn't prove particularly relevant to the quality of the game when it came out.

So as I've said (about five times now), it looks like the game has headed in a direction that I personally wish it hadn't. Is that not allowed?

Nobody's talking about what is and isn't allowed, say whatever you want about the game. I disagree with your read on the game but you're certainly allowed to have it, express it, say you think I'm totally off base, etc.

As for not believing the claims of developers in the hype phase of a release? Yes, I'll freely admit that I don't believe anything they say, but then, after the past 20 years, I don't know how you could.

I guess because I'm still a gamer because I, like, still enjoy playing games? Every year thousands of new games come out, and hundreds of those are worth playing, and I probably vaguely follow tens of them and really closely play-by-play follow like 3-5, and pretty much every year a good number of those games I follow turn out to actually be great in the way that makes me completely satisfied to have spent my time and money on them.

In my experience it's pretty rare for developers to lie outright about their upcoming products (a few Bioware-style rotten apples excepted), and it's pretty common for developers who can speak intelligently about their inspiration and design intent to produce games that are worth playing and at least partially succeed in the goals those devs laid out. If I ever got so cynical that I saw a developer talking about the team's goals for a new title and immediately went "yeah but there's no way that's true, you must be lying or just so bad at design that you can't accomplish it!" I would sell my collection tomorrow and take up knitting or something.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am sure this has been asked and answered a thousand times but what is the projected release for this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom