• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown Ironman Challenge [On Again For 2012]

Not exactly a secret, but I always forget how insanely brutal this game is.

I'm playing through on beginner to get back into the swing of things. My first mission is an interception involving a small ship with about 4 sectoids in it, which turns out to be a complete walk in the park. Then I head to a larger landing site that ended up having around 10 of the little gray bastards in it, but it's nothing my squad can't handle. So far so good.

My first terror site is Calcutta. We land in the middle of the night with no flares or a motion-tracker. The instant that my first soldier steps out of the ship, a plasma bolt comes flying out of the darkness and barely misses him. I move him to the bottom of the ramp hoping that the source of the bolt will be illuminated, but to no avail.

I carefully move the first half of the squad out, using the ship for cover since there isn't a damned thing to hide behind anywhere nearby. The turn ends, shots are fired by (and at) barely visible creatures somewhere off in the darkness and out of nowhere a reaper appears and starts charging my team.

Next turn, with everyone alive but vulnerable, I take out the reaper as soon as possible and begin moving more of the squad from the ship while fanning out cautiously to try to get a better picture of what's nearby. But I can't see shit. So the turn ends with me knowing that there is an armed ET out there watching the squad, but unable to do anything about it.

Thankfully it didn't matter. The next alien turn, a grenade flies out of the darkness and lands right in the middle of the 6 soldiers who have left the ship already, and kills them all. Fuck.

So in spite of it being somewhat against the spirit of the thing, I may restart my ironman playthrough :lol

XiaNaphryz said:
Argh! I totally forgot to rearrange my base layouts. Everything else is going pretty smooth though. I made it to March and now have two bases, one focused on research and the other making money by manufacturing and then selling stuff. The first terror mission was a success (I even captured a Floater Navigator!) and the council of funding nations seem to appreciate my efforts. My main attack squad is slowly getting better and with Personal Armor, Laser Rifles, and a few Heavy Plasma Rifles the alien threat is somewhat more manageable.

2n87t39.jpg
mcxmk1.png

Minsc said:
The running uglier/faster is just your DOSBox configured incorrectly. You can definitely download a frontend, and fix those two problems. You can actually create a portable version of the game that will run off a USB stick on any PC, requiring no setup, and allowing you to take the fixed version of the game & your saves anywhere you go.

Doh, I just realised I got things back to front. I was actually using UFOLoader with the windows version. It's been a while since I played around with it so I forgot. Guess I'll try and get the DOS version running with XComUtil. Thanks for the tips.

ZombieSupaStar said:
back on topic, im currently using this setup, seems nice dunno if it fixes the beginner bug tho

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Enemy_Unknown_Extended

Yeah it does fix the bug. Thats the one I was using.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Lost another squad in a terror mission, one by one my whole squad was eliminated until one man was left to fight them all, eventually a saucer killed me. Also all the nations are unhappy with me and have cut my funding in massive numbers, at this rate i am fucked....

I couldn't resist jumping on this as well. I've probably played this game on and off for nearly 15 years now, so what another few weeks?

Playing 1.4 off Steam with Xcomutil to fix the difficulty bug (and nothing else, although I'm trying out the "keep same equipment on soldiers when deployed" feature to save on some tedium), and difficulty on Veteran. I've completed the game several times before, and I'm SURE I had an Impossible level game somewhere, but I thought I'd try this challenge at a more manageable level. And I'd never heard about the difficulty bug before, so I guess my impossible game never really counted anyway!

Started off with a base in western Europe just out of habit. Things get off to a bad start as the first THREE UFOs outrun my interceptor without giving my any chance to get a shot off, and don't land before zooming off into the ether.

First contact happens therefore not on the crappy 1 seater jobby the game begins with, but the 5 man one. In the downtime between fleeing UFOs I decide to push the boat out and buy a Missile Heavy Weapons Platform. I remember them not being that great, but their movement range and survivability make them nice distractions from your precious soldiers on higher difficulties. Could be a risky investment though at nearly $500,000 for HWP and missiles (about a fifth of my entire money at this point).

First mission. The HWP moves 1 square off the ramp, is hit a single plasma shot, and dies instantly. Shit.

Still I mop up and only lose one soldier. Next mission goes far worse. It's against the largest of the small UFOs at night, and half my men get sniped from the shadows. I pull through, and remember some of the other basic strategies needed. My squad is infested with weaklings with low strength and pitiful bravery stats, so I kick them out and get in new ones.

Thus begins the legend of Wolfgang Siedler.

geoscape_000.png

A crappy soldier with pitifully low bravery, he's nonetheless one of the highest ranking soldiers I've got, so I keep him in tow while I wait for new recruits to replace those I purged. He ends up coming on the next mission.

It's a fiasco and I lose something like 5/10 men, three of whom embarrassingly get caught out by an alien standing around a corner at point blank range that I fail to work out was actually standing next to them the whole time. One of them gets knocked unconscious, sparing the alien the wrath of an assault cannon with explosive ammo ripping the house it's in apart as I want to save the guy. He awakens next turn to promptly get hosed down Peter Weller in Robocop style. And then I still lose another rookie finally getting the killer. Wolfgang Siedler delivers the killing blow!

Then it's a terror mission. It ends up being at night, which lead to a sharp intake of breath. The map is basically a big L shape, with a long main road and shops on either side. I send the bulk of the force down the main road, and they get horribly sniped to fuck by floaters hiding in the darkness behind windows. Early on I send the weakling Wolfgang and another expendable red shirt down the short part of the L to flush away any floaters still clinging on behind us. They get into a firefight with a Reaper, and I try and be clever and use the red shirt to grenade it. The Reaper promptly shrugs this off and casually walks up to red shirt before eating his face. Wolfgang is one square away, but the cowardly soldier who could promptly puts the Reaper down with one shot.

At the other end of the map I manage to lose practiaclly everyone, including my two most senior officers, due to stupidity and not watching my back. with 3 men left out of 10 I have the last floater locked down in a shop, and pour on the fire from my high explosive assault cannon guy. He misses two auto bursts by miles. He has exactly enough action points left to fire one snapshot. It suddenly becomes painfully clear to me I'm probably going to fail the mission. He fires the snapshot and unlike his past 6 shots FUCKING HITS and saves the day.

geoscape_001.png

I've now got two bases and have just got plasma rifles ready to go, replacing my laser ones. the first armour models are also coming off the converyor belt for the honoured few who survived more than one mission. So far the only one who has is Wolfgang, who seems to be able to waltz through hails of incoming fire and return unscathed from the many suicide missions I sent him into. I'm still not giving him any armour, though.

Finished off the first month.

Casualties were too high in my first mission so I decided to buy a rocket weapons platform and play more cautiously. This was working well in my first crashed small ufo mission until the last sectiod cruelly tricked me by recovering from a panic and gunning down the men I sent to finish him/her/it off. I managed to get a few laser pistols produced then had a terror attack in Perth at night which I thought was going to be a bloodbath or a case of me taking one look then retreating. In the end the floaters and reapers didn't put up too much of a fight to my scouting armour and snipers but unfortunately I killed a civilian with my policy of being liberal with the rockets. Ended the month with my first UFO recovery with no casualties. And there was much rejoicing.

geoscape_006-1.png
geoscape_007.png
geoscape_009.png

The first month ends with a good report and the start of a solid squad. Not too shabby.

geoscape_012.png
geoscape_013.png

Goals for next month are to ramp up research to 100 scientists, establish a base in north america, equip soldiers with laser rifles and heavy plasma and make a start on armour.

Shred0r

Banned
Guess, money cheats aren't allowed *runs beging cover*...(to boost base building n stuff)
You know what, i would love to play teh multiplayer X-Com mod. Played it some time ago and it was some quite intense shit not knowing which tactics the opponent may approach with what setup (few guys armored but heavy plasma, many cheap guys all with rocket launchers to wrack havoc on the enemies side of map, many cheap guys with cheap-ass equip just to overrun the enemy, and so on...)

I personally love to put some points into reaction and to watch my guy shoot the enemy boint blank when he comes around the corner or enters a building *always a funny moment where one laughs and the other one swears*

Everything is going according to plan and lady luck is on my side. A small team of rookies from my secondary base got a chance to prove their worth in combat. When poor Evelyn faced four Snakemen I was sure she was done for good. She was able to kill the bottom one and the reaction shot from the Snakeman behind the UFO power source killed his comrade standing closer to the entrance. With no more stored time units the last two enemies were no match for the other rookies.

wjt5w1.png
211q9op.png
2w5k94w.png

I also discovered that Skywalkers and Interceptors come with a ridiculously high monthly fee. One of my two Interceptors got replaced by a Firestorm equipped with two plasma beams and I'll try to replace the other ships as soon as possible.

hsu8ad.png

Shred0r said:
Guess, money cheats aren't allowed *runs beging cover*...(to boost base building n stuff)
You know what, i would love to play teh multiplayer X-Com mod. Played it some time ago and it was some quite intense shit not knowing which tactics the opponent may approach with what setup (few guys armored but heavy plasma, many cheap guys all with rocket launchers to wrack havoc on the enemies side of map, many cheap guys with cheap-ass equip just to overrun the enemy, and so on...)

I personally love to put some points into reaction and to watch my guy shoot the enemy boint blank when he comes around the corner or enters a building *always a funny moment where one laughs and the other one swears*

I'd love to play it sometime too, but I think you'd have to restrict what sort of weapons a person could bring in to the fight, or severely limit the player budget so as to make a full compliment of explosive weapons impractical. As fun as the game is it's not designed to be balanced.

Lumine

This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to play the steam version of xcom in windowed mode? I don't remember seeing that option last time I tried looking for it. I also remember getting demotivated to play it seeing all those pixels stretched out on a large LCD screen. :(

Shred0r

Banned
I'd love to play it sometime too, but I think you'd have to restrict what sort of weapons a person could bring in to the fight, or severely limit the player budget so as to make a full compliment of explosive weapons impractical. As fun as the game is it's not designed to be balanced.

Yep, therefore we generally agree on a point limit for the troops' setup. Dont remember, but 15000 was a good limit, being enough to equip a squad of 4 high-armor & heavy plasma (almost 1 hit kill) dudes or going the 8-12 team power route with rocket launchers but no armor at all, preferably a race that can naturally float and shoot with the rockets from above around the corner of a building and then retreating (floating away ^^). "Dirty Tactics 101"...

PS: check this site out: It has everything u need (i prefer playing the UFO2000 due to intense multiplayer action):

http://www.xcomufo.com/
http://www.xcomufo.com/siteidx.html
http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
30msld2.jpg

Things are bad gentlemen, our countless defeats have let the alien forces to run rampant in our planet, obviously our benefactors aren't too happy that we haven't made any progress at all and have begun to cut our funding significantly.
Lack of funding is putting a strain of my resources so i started selling laser wapons in the black market for a nice profit, harsh but necessary.

b99etu.jpg

Suddenly an alien base is discovered, thinking this was my chance to turn things around i sent my team there even tough they have not been fully equipped, this was my first mistake.

o9q2o8.jpg

My team comprised of six members starts the mission, i send my team upstairs and try to defend the room the best i can, setting my guys to shoot whenever they see some foul beast.

4uxgux.jpg

Unfortunately things go bad right away because an alien thing turns the corner surprising me, my team is too slow because none of them was able to react fast enough in order to prevent a team mate from becoming a zombie.

v5wuwj.jpg

Zombies are bad news, even if you kill them right away they hatch into one of those black aliens which are really bad news. Anyway i kill the zombie and it's spawn and wait.

qqs6ch.jpg

Oh great more of those fuckers are out there.

kbyma8.jpg

Suddenly an alien comes rushing into my team from the south, my team should begin shooting it now since they have plenty of AP left, so shoot it down guys.

bgo40o.jpg

SHOOT YOU STUPID MOTHERUCKER!

b8nryx.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

104jk2t.jpg

This is great.

15cj0ip.jpg

Okay i managed to kill those two aliens but i am down to my last 3 team members, i a see room up and to the left. My only choice was clear: I am gonna make a stand in that room, i may not win dammit but i am taking the most alien scum i can with me to hell. I'll kill you all you fucke........Hey what's that?

13z1szn.jpg

FUCK THIS GAME.

Shred0r

Banned
I have an advice for your team: "DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SHIP, NEVER EVER.....EVER!"
...and if so, prepare to die *buahahaha*

I tried to play this back when it went on sale on steam, and I just could not figure it out for the life of me. I will try again this weekend using a starter guide. I couldn't figure out how air combat works, or how to successfully engage in ground combat without being destroyed.

epmode

BlueScrote said:
I tried to play this back when it went on sale on steam, and I just could not figure it out for the life of me. I will try again this weekend using a starter guide. I couldn't figure out how air combat works, or how to successfully engage in ground combat without being destroyed.
I remember that the game manual had a little starter guide in it as well. It's a very difficult game to grasp with no outside help.

Minsc

Gold Member
Xater said:
Is there some kind of emulator to make it run on a Mac? Then I might also get in on this. :lol

It runs under DOSBox perfectly, as do all DOS games, and DOSBox allows for dozens of graphical styles/sizes (including windowed at 2x 3x and 4x original resolution).

There should be plenty of suitable frontends for DOSBox for linux, mac, and probably a few other OSs too.

Lumine said:
This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to play the steam version of xcom in windowed mode? I don't remember seeing that option last time I tried looking for it. I also remember getting demotivated to play it seeing all those pixels stretched out on a large LCD screen. :(
Use Alt+Enter to toggle between full screen and windowed mode.

Vlodril

Gave in and bought it on steam. Had forgotten how addicting the game is and how fast you start to care what happens to your soliders. Those terror attacks are harsh as hell.. I tried my first one and lost 11 civilians and almost all of my team (nooo). Only 2 survived. Epic stuff.

Game still holds up well.

Xater

Minsc said:
It runs under DOSBox perfectly, as do all DOS games, and DOSBox allows for dozens of graphical styles/sizes (including windowed at 2x 3x and 4x original resolution).

There should be plenty of suitable frontends for DOSBox for linux, mac, and probably a few other OSs too.

Nice! Gonna look into that now.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I started a new game (in beginner difficulty) since my last playtrough was FUBAR, not enough funding. First mission goes allright only 2 casualties but in my second mission my entire squad gets wiped out, i am not sure if i want to do an iron man run, too fucking hard!

I was surprised to find out that playing it normally was called ironman. I just thought the game was hard as shit. No wonder I only beat it once. And on the easier difficulties. :)

My enthusiasm for a true ironman run has waned already, after a series of humiliating terror site defeats, one of which consisted of a flanking soldier panicking and running headlong into the chrysalid he'd been successfully sniping, resulting in a domino effect of everyone getting infected.

Also a landed battleship attack where everyone proceeded to the second level on the gravlift, where the computer then waited for the entire team to be present before gleefully wiping them out with a single blaster bomb shot. The only way it could have been anymore rage-inducing was if a little message came up afterwards saying "lol". Oddly my sole surviving missile tank was able to fly the skyranger home, so at least I kept that.

methane47

Strummerjones said:
My enthusiasm for a true ironman run has waned already, after a series of humiliating terror site defeats, one of which consisted of a flanking soldier panicking and running headlong into the chrysalid he'd been successfully sniping, resulting in a domino effect of everyone getting infected.

Also a landed battleship attack where everyone proceeded to the second level on the gravlift, where the computer then waited for the entire team to be present before gleefully wiping them out with a single blaster bomb shot. The only way it could have been anymore rage-inducing was if a little message came up afterwards saying "lol". Oddly my sole surviving missile tank was able to fly the skyranger home, so at least I kept that.

:lol :lol :lol

MotorbreathX said:
I was surprised to find out that playing it normally was called ironman. I just thought the game was hard as shit. No wonder I only beat it once. And on the easier difficulties. :)

:lol indeed! And in the ironman instructions the guy says difficulty doesnt matter LMAO... ONly game where playing it on Easy is considered a feat!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well guys... after setting up the game on my PC... using Util to fix the difficulty bug... I jumped into the game....

I had gone through most of January without seeing a single UFO... i had laser pistols researched and produced already to outfit my skyranger... i was feeling pretty confident...

Until i crashed the first UFO... I started the mission... and there are TWO Greys RIGHT outside the ship!! WTF... i take shots from 3 agents they all miss... i stupidly also crowded the exit to my ship... So i said... what the heck.. i'll just end the turn and work it out.....

NOPE... aliens threw two grenades onto the entrance ramp of my Ranger...

ilitd0.jpg

I'm playing on beginner...

I know this is ironman.. but i'm restarting this shit lol

Ok, I've restarted the game with XcomUtil and Superhuman difficulty.
I've set my base (X-Com Eurasia) in the Caucasus area, inside an old Russian missile silo: the place was in shambles, so I had to do some maintanance and change the disposition of the facilities inside (reorganization which took nearly a month to complete). I've sent home some of the soldiers: they where trembling in fear just for being in the team and the last thing we need is a panicked soldier shooting at his own comrades. Some of my tacticians suggested buying a drone-tank or two, but I didn't agree: I'm an old school warrior and I think that a good old human foot in a good old military boot is all we need for kicking those extraterrestrial butts.

Jan 8th
The first week was pretty uneventful, but today the first UFO showed up. It was a single-seater landed in the French countryside. My team of rookies had no problems getting rid of the lone "Sectoid" (this is how our eggheads decided to call the gray-skinned aliens) who was flying in that "thing" (+21 pts).

Jan 10th
A second UFO was spotted today, in France... again. Those bastards must love smelly cheese and good wine! My Team wiped out the entire alien crew, but we had our first casualty... the mission, however, was a success and we were able to retrieve some interesting artifacts. The boys in the lab are eager to study them as soon as possible. Well, they'll have to wait until the end of the quarantine and, first, I want them to complete the research on laser weapons: our rifles don't seem to be very effective.

Jan 14th
Today is a sad day. During our third mission we lost our Captain and other 5 brave men and women. The rest of the squad managed to kill the entire alien team, but the loss of their commander is quite a hit on their morale.

Jan 19th
In the last two days we had two UFO missions and the soldiers performed pretty well. They killed 15 of those slimy gray "things"... but we lost 5 boys. I'll ask them to be more careful and not to be trying some foolish things to avenge their commander's death.

Jan 26th
That was a close call. We caught one of those X shaped UFOs in Norway in our first nocturne mission. It was terrible: we lost 7 men. We were lucky that the lone survivor managed to kill the last alien who was hiding in the engine room and brought the Skyranger home and himself with it (he was promoted to Captain upon his arrival). Even though the higher-ups praised me for accomplishing the mission, I'll have to tell my soldiers to avoid any unnecessary risk. Two of my men died while trying to capture an alien alive; it must never happen again.
And those damned laser rifles aren't ready yet...

End of January
The first month came to an end and those lazy politicians are so happy about our performance they decided to raise our income.
Not bad for a bunch of greenhorns led by an old veteran.

2rr3tsm.png

Results:
6 UFO missions: 1 very small, 3 small/square, 2 small/X
Kills: 37
Casualties: 13
January score: +216

Marchiott

Gexecuter said:
Btw this Let's play of X-com is fucking amazing, i am on the first chapter but i am already hooked, holy fuck :lol

Holy crap, I spent a good three hours reading that. :lol

I think I'm just going to have to accept the fact that casualties are a common occurrence in this game.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I started another game this time with much better results, while my first few missions were easy i lost 6 good men and woman doing a terror mission, that shit was tense as fuck. Also i was feeling playful and renamed some of my team members with names of gaffers: Amirox, Red Scarlet, More Fun To Compute, archnemesis and Minsc were on my very first mission. Almost all of them died starting with Amirox :lol More Fun To Compute was the only one to survive that bloodbath but he was killed in a later mission, damn.

methane47

Gexecuter said:
I started another game this time with much better results, while my first few missions were easy i lost 6 good men and woman doing a terror mission, that shit was tense as fuck. Also i was feeling playful and renamed some of my team members with names of gaffers: Amirox, Red Scarlet, More Fun To Compute, archnemesis and Minsc were on my very first mission. Almost all of them died starting with Amirox :lol More Fun To Compute was the only one to survive that bloodbath but he was killed in a later mission, damn.

:lol

I currently have a guy who is panic happy... i think i will call him DoomBringer.

It's July 26, 1999 and I just hit my first real set back. A small, a large, and a very large UFO all appear simultaneously. I shoot down the small UFO with an Interceptor, but the larger ships manage to avoid my Firestorm long enough for it to run out of fuel. I send what's left of my main team to the very large ship which has landed in the Arctics. I was doing steady progress until Stefan Faerber becomes under alien control and kills five team members. Despite being left with only a few soldiers I manage to clear out the entire Battleship and track down the last Ethereal hiding in far north corner outside the ship. What happens next? Three (3!) blaster bombs in rapid succession completely obliterates what's left of my team and the mission ends in complete failure.

293hdzq.png
1zgrt60.jpg
o9k603.png
oqbqz5.png
15mn283.png

Sloegr

archnemesis said:
IDespite being left with only a few soldiers I manage to clear out the entire Battleship and track down the last Ethereal hiding in far north corner outside the ship. What happens next? Three (3!) blaster bombs in rapid succession completely obliterates what's left of my team and the mission ends in complete failure.

He's no punk bitch. Don't you forget that.

Brashnir

Gexecuter said:

Name your next recruit Brashnir. I'll be a badass, I promise.

Jay Sosa

Gexecuter said:
Btw this Let's play of X-com is fucking amazing, i am on the first chapter but i am already hooked, holy fuck :lol

That's pretty brilliant.

Have to find my copy and join the fun.

Btw: Could it be that the PAL PSX version of Terror from the Deep had some bug? Cause I played that game for what seemed forever and never ever was able to get my hands on those
goddamn UFO plans

And I think I have a new favorite for the recurring "what game needs a remake?" threads.

Nimyh said:
Whoa, I think I never had a snow mission. I was not aware of this tileset's existence. The aliens never seem interested in the north pole, what happened?

Me neither, first time I've seen this.

Sloegr

Nimyh said:
Whoa, I think I never had a snow mission. I was not aware of this tileset's existence. The aliens never seem interested in the north pole, what happened?

IIRC, they do land there sometimes. You can also shoot them down over the poles.

Man, some of you people, the polar regions need protecting too. What is the point of saving the earth only to find out that there are no penguins left when you win?

I got through 7 ufo recoveries and 2 terror missions in feb and march with 15 casualties and two dead tanks.

geoscape_005.png
geoscape_012-1.png

The terror attack in Los Angeles started badly. I attacked at night in a bad position and started by shooting my tank several times in the back. Despite that I got a foothold and killed 5 or so sectoids before the tide turned. A group of sectoids ambushed my tank and killed it leaving me undermanned and then in the next turn some invisible unseen alien started attacking my soldiers. I tried hold a line and use flares to find it but it started picking men off one by one like some sort of alien or something.

tactical_003.png
tactical_005.png

I bravely retreated. Fuck Los Angeles and it's entertainment industry.

geoscape_011.png

Part of what makes this game intense is having a guy in the open who spots an alien and using auto fire hoping one of them hits. The intense part is that it's always the last one that hits, and even then, you're praying that it actually kills them.

I hope you guys are happy. I decided to play UFO Defense until Monster Hunter Tri is released. I'm playing my collector's edition on veteran difficulty. Base name: Project Ahab :D

Since I will just be playing over the weekend for now, I decided to come out guns a blazin'. I'm on my 5th SkyRanger. I've been taking every mission with the exception of alien bases and medium or higher ships of which I cannot shoot down at this time. I've played a ton of x-com in my day but I've never witnessed so many terror sites pop up before. The terror site missions are seriously rivaling the number of small/very small ships that I detect. I guess its not hard to see where I've lost four entire squads. As disheartening as it is to see all my men die, I'm still passing my monthly reviews.

There are only two things that really get under my skin:
1. Getting ambushed on the first step off the ship. I had three of those little UFOs that explode when they die camped out in front of my ship. My rocket tank moves one step out and a total of 7-8 shots are fired at it.

2. Game crashes. The game randomly crashes on my current PC. It's not a big deal if you save often as its not a very frequent problem. Of course when I forget to save...

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK! i lost all my squad again even tough they were all wearing power armor, i was happy when i spotted a terror mission because i though since i got cool armor now, these alien fucks can't kill me now. Everything went to shit once i spotted one of those Chryssalid fuckers, argggg. Fuck it i am restarting yet again on begginer, but this time i have a plan; I have no idea what that plan is yet but i'll think of something. Also i am recruiting gaffers from this thread, i will make sure i take plenty of screenshots so your deaths are fully recorded.

Gexecuter said:
FUCK! i lost all my squad again even tough they were all wearing power armor, i was happy when i spotted a terror mission because i though since i got cool armor now, these alien fucks can't kill me now. Everything went to shit once i spotted one of those Chryssalid fuckers, argggg. Fuck it i am restarting yet again on begginer, but this time i have a plan; I have no idea what that plan is yet but i'll think of something. Also i am recruiting gaffers from this thread, i will make sure i take plenty of screenshots so your deaths are fully recorded.

MotorbreathX would be a great character to be destroyed. Will he panic and take out your entire squad? Will he take a shot to the head the second he walks out of the ship? Who knows?!

Gexecuter said:

Hah, sign me up!

Iv never played this game before but this thread has me interested in trying it out now

I started a quick game last night before bed. Got through one mission on beginner that involved a landed small UFO. Got through it with one guy lost. I'm getting the bug again. It's time to rock some X-COM!

Might also start a playthrough of the first UFO game. UFO: Aftershock I believe?

EDIT: UFO: Aftermath, not Aftershock.

Vlodril

Hm good luck trying to find help for a bug in a 15 year old game :D

Steam patches games automatically does it not? If it does i guess i ll have to play it without receiving any funding.

Gexecuter said:
Hey MotorbreathX (and other people) have you tried Xcomutil? that fixes some X-com bugs tough i am not sure it will fix the ones you have encountered.

I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the link. I saw it posted up higher but forgot about it when I started my game. Do I have to restart?

Vlodril said:
I run into a bug. I am getting the monthly funding reports but no money from them. Any ideas?
How much are you supposed to be getting? My monthly costs usually increase so fast that the funding nations can't keep up.

255p6zc.png

Remfin

Monthly funding is nothing. You're supposed to sell all the extra stuff you're bringing home from missions. If you aren't bringing home a lot, it probably means you are over-killing the UFOs when you intercept them and practically blowing them up in the air.

Top Bottom