• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown Ironman Challenge [On Again For 2012]

Remfin said:
Monthly funding is nothing. You're supposed to sell all the extra stuff you're bringing home from missions. If you aren't bringing home a lot, it probably means you are over-killing the UFOs when you intercept them and practically blowing them up in the air.

When you first start a game, what's the recommendation for selling the stuff you already have? Should I get rid of some stuff? I know there are guides and whatnot, but what do people use here?

Beardz

I love reading your stories guys, keep 'em going. :D

Btw, I never do night missions, I always wait for the daylight. :p

Vlodril

I am supposed to be getting about 7 mill and my upkeep is 4, so i should be getting 3 million. On the other hand it doesnt remove any funds for the upkeep its like everything they give goes to it but more probably its bugged and neither adds nor takes any money.

MotorbreathX said:
When you first start a game, what's the recommendation for selling the stuff you already have? Should I get rid of some stuff? I know there are guides and whatnot, but what do people use here?

I usually upgrade the weapon systems on the interceptors to dual avalanche launchers and sell the weapons+ammo that come on them initially. I don't think theres much else worth selling until you've researched laser/plasma weapons.

For the stuff you get from missions, its worth keeping alien alloys and elerium as you'll need lots of this later to build/refuel stuff. If you end up with more than you can store you should sell some of this though. I also sell all alien corpses except one for research and all alien weapons/ammo except for a few to use later. You can sell most ufo components, but you'll want to keep a few of the important ones (navigation,power source etc) to build craft with later.

Things I find important to keep in stock other than the obvious weapons and ammo are at least one heavy weapons platform, smoke grenades and electro flares. Medikits are a must once you've researched them too. Having motion detectors available can really help out too. Also make sure theres some soldiers and weapons left at all bases at all times in case of a base attack.

I usually try to avoid night missions too. At night, aliens can see 20 squares compared to your soldiers 9. Electro flares can help with this, but its still risky. At day both sides can see 20.

Air Zombie Meat said:
I usually upgrade the weapon systems on the interceptors to dual avalanche launchers and sell the weapons+ammo that come on them initially. I don't think theres much else worth selling until you've researched laser/plasma weapons.

For the stuff you get from missions, its worth keeping alien alloys and elerium as you'll need lots of this later to build/refuel stuff. If you end up with more than you can store you should sell some of this though. I also sell all alien corpses except one for research and all alien weapons/ammo except for a few to use later. You can sell most ufo components, but you'll want to keep a few of the important ones (navigation,power source etc) to build craft with later.

Things I find important to keep in stock other than the obvious weapons and ammo are at least one heavy weapons platform, smoke grenades and electro flares. Medikits are a must once you've researched them too. Having motion detectors available can really help out too. Also make sure theres some soldiers and weapons left at all bases at all times in case of a base attack.

I usually try to avoid night missions too. At night, aliens can see 20 squares compared to your soldiers 9. Electro flares can help with this, but its still risky. At day both sides can see 20.

Perfect. Thanks!

Yeah, there's not that much profit to be made from selling the starting gear. I usually get rid of the heavy cannon and its ammo, and use the assault cannon with some high explosive ammo instead. I also ditch the small rockets for the launcher for large rockets.

I tend to switch up my interceptors so I have a "strong" one with either two avalanches or an avalanche and a stingray, and a "weak" one with default kit. The reasoning behind this is that the more damage done to a UFO when you shoot it down, the more of a mess it'll be on the ground with less spoils on capture - this way I can set the risk/reward level of the smaller UFOs somewhat.

Oh, and even if you don't use the crappy cannons for your fighters it's worth keeping them for when you retire old fighters for upgraded fighters. You HAVE to have weapons on a fighter at all times, and they get lost when you sell the fighter, so keeping the crappy cannons for retired fighters saves you the $16k or so you'd otherwise lose if you had any other paid for weapons on them.

My Feb 1999 went crazy pretty soon: I discovered an alien base in Africa and my radar was soon crawling with UFOs and keeping a "diary" soon became impossible. I've been having something like 2 or 3 UFO sightings each day, with lots of Large and Very Large vessels which I didn't dare approach with my puny Interceptors (I focused on the small ones).

On 02/13 I decided to invade the alien base with a bunch of soldiers armed with laser rifles and with only 4 personal armour suits available. I was lucky the base was full of Floaters, the alien race I consider to be the weakest of the lot. I had six casualties, but managed to conquer the base, capture the alien leader (with the stun rod - I had to stun him twice, since he regained consciousness once) and obtain that little toy known as blaster launcher. :D

On 02/21 The aliens landed in Baghdad... during daytime (phew!). This was my first encounter with the Snakemen and their Chryssalid friends. I had to kill ten of those black insects, not counting those born from my infected soldiers. The mission was a success, though, despite having lost 11 civilians... killing 27 aliens seems to be more than enough for a positive mission score.

2ljhmj4.png

I'm quite a fan of the heavy cannon personally. I always like to have one soldier with one. It's aimed shots are really accurate and it has so much utility. HE ammo for grouped enemies, targets like the Cyberdisc or demolishing buildings. HE ammo also leaves behind a lot of smoke which can be used for cover. Incendiary ammo for reapers (weak vs fire), filling up choke points/hiding places with fire and for lighting up areas at night. AP shells aren't that useful but they pack a real punch and can be effective for sniping with aimed shot.

Some other stuff I just remembered: Moving your soldiers out of the craft on the first turn is risky because all the aliens have all of their tu's which means you'll get likely get nailed with loads of reaction fire. I always chuck a smoke grenade off the ramp of the landing craft first turn then end the turn and move out into the smoke on the second turn. The aliens will have moved using up tu's and have less opportunities to fire and the smoke will help hide your soldiers from them. One odd but useful thing is you can use smoke grenades to put out fires.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
geoscape_000.png

I started a new game in beginner, hopefully this one goes better that the others. The first thing i do is hire more scientist, build general stores and living quarters and research laser weapons

geoscape_002.png

I got some new recruits from who knows where, hopefully these guys are real pro because they look pathetic to me.

geoscape_003.png

Our first mission comes quickly, a alien ship lands near our base. It's time to test the new recruits.

tactical_000.png

Here we go, thankfully we brought one those rocket launchers tanks.

tactical_002.png

tactical_004.png

Fuck the team isn't even out and we already got one casualty, it happened so fast i didn't noticed who died, i think it was some poor soul called Epmode.

tactical_009.png

The tank up moves ahead and spots an alien. More fun to compute: I can hit it!

tactical_014.png

tactical_015.png

tactical_017.png

More fun to compute: Still alive?! fuck

tactical_025.png

I try to finish the job with the tank but it tragically misses.

tactical_033.png

Being under fire i move the tank to some nearby bushes however i spot an alien nearby.

tactical_036.png

Archnemesis and More fun to compute leave the ship and take cover behind the extremely hard wheels.

tactical_037.png

Minsc and Methane47 move near the exit ramp, however this proves to be a very bad idea.

tactical_039.png

Methane47: Oh fuck!

tactical_040.png

The hit kills Methane47 instantly.

tactical_046.png

Archnemesis moves trying a flanking maneuver.

tactical_052.png

The tank tries to blow the area where the alien was spotted hoping for a kill.

tactical_054.png

It succeeds.

tactical_056.png

Hoping for another kill the tank scorches the area up ahead however this tine no one was there.

tactical_071.png

Minsc moves ahead but a random plasma blast suddenly appears missing him but hitting More fun to compute instead, he dies.

tactical_080.png

Minsc takes cover in a nearby tree.

tactical_082.png

Archenemesis prepares a grenade for future confrontations.

tactical_084.png

Meanwhile the tank blows up from alien fire. Dennis4k bravely moves up ahead trying to flank the enemy.

tactical_091.png

StrummerJones tries to take cover by moving next to a hill.

tactical_093.png

tactical_094.png

Minsc cover gets blowed so he decides to charge the enemy.

tactical_097.png

Minsc sees an alien near but he doesn't have enough AP to shoot, he is surely fucked.

tactical_098.png

Archnemesis: I got your back Minsc!

tactical_099.png

tactical_103.png

Archnemesis: Hell yeah! Minsc: Nice shoot!

tactical_104.png

Minsc: Aw hell naw! Minsc is dead.

tactical_107.png

StrummerJones is in the same situation that Minsc was, hoever Dennis4k comes to the rescue.

tactical_108.png

tactical_109.png

tactical_110.png

tactical_111.png

tactical_112.png

tactical_116.png

Dennis4K: Bullseye!

tactical_124.png

tactical_125.png

Archnemesis shoots an alien near the door killing the gray.

tactical_133.png

The team surrounds the alien craft but before anyone enters it an enemy exits the ship, thankfully Archnemesis takes care of it.

tactical_139.png

Another alien is taken care of by Archnemesis.

tactical_143.png

Dennis4K enters the craft and clears the room.

tactical_151.png

Dennis4K prepares to enter the remaining room.

tactical_152.png

But suddenly a huge explosion goes off nearby barely missing Dennis2K (don't ask me, i dunno what hapenned there)

tactical_160.png

Dennis4k enters the next room and kills the final alien.

geoscape_005.png

Besides the tragic loss of human life this wasn't such a bad mission.

geoscape_006.png

Oh Dennis4k got promoted, congratulations!

geoscape_008.png

The surviving members.

Casualties: Epmode, Methane47, Minsc and More fun to compute.

Volodja

I've also started a game on Beginner difficulty. First small missions went well but on the first terror mission only one soldier managed to escape. I should have been able to save 3 but at the last turn one of them went berserk and thought that rocket jumping while inside the skyranger was a nice idea. Because of this little issue I've decided to let the terror missions alone until the 7th (?) one showed up when I decided that it was time for me to react. It went pretty damn ok (at least for my standards, only 1 guy down if I remember correctly) but now large ships are starting to show up way too often and my interceptors are not enough to stop them and a base showed up in the arctic. I don't know if I should try my luck with that, I'll probably wait till all the personal armors are done and think about it a bit more because I don't know if my equipment is good enough. I'm also starting to worry about the ammo for Plasma weapons because I'm running low on Elerium, maybe I should use laser weapons more, at least in the easier levels.

Dennis

Banned
Gexecuter said:
Meanwhile the tank blows up from alien fire. Dennis4k bravely moves up ahead trying to flank the enemy.

StrummerJones is in the same situation that Minsc was, hoever Dennis4k comes to the rescue.

Dennis4K: Bullseye!

Dennis4K enters the craft and clears the room.

Dennis4K prepares to enter the remaining room.

Dennis4k enters the next room and kills the final alien.

Besides the tragic loss of human life this wasn't such a bad mission.

Oh Dennis4k got promoted, congratulations!

Suck it alien scum!

Minsc

Gold Member
:lol

I blame my early death on this whole AP thing, rulesets clearly do not transition in my favor from forgotten realms to this X-Com world of plasma, lasers, and aliens! AP +5 full plate and then we're talking! And bigger guns next time (and trees)!

methane47

Gexecuter said:

:lol!!

that clearly wasn't Methane47.... looked like an imposter to me..

PS: after restarting the game... I am currently having one of my BEST runs in Xcom ever... i have almost no activity in the world... I see maybe 2-4 missions per month... and I'm in june... But all the countries are soo pleased with me.. their support goes higher and higher... I have everything in the game almost fully researched out.. due to my team of 150 scientists... and I have one base in Full Factory mode.. Cranking out laser rifles and mind probes for straight profit..

And I have played only ONCE in the night lol... my luck is awesome at the moment... Something tells me i should expect a battle ship to come attack me soon... Here's hoping my Laser Def + Grav shield can hold em out.

Note: DoomBringer now gets panicked at least twice in each mission now... But he is also my highest ranking soldier... with the most kills and highest bravery... Makes no sense lol

Gexecuter said:

Somehow I am happier being killed off in the first mission than being the only one left alive. A problem with survivor guilt maybe.

In my game large UFOs have started appearing regularly but my interceptors are not up to the job of taking them down and the ill fated plasma weapons research program I started in january has given me no results a apart from tying up my researchers. Ugh, I'm ramping it down and researching more laser tech and some simpler alien tech as I want more results.

X-COM employee of the month is veteran Squaddie Sumie Iwahara who has proved herself on a large number of combat missions and has a high number of kills.

tactical_000-1.png

Here we see Squaddie Robson deciding to deal with the last alien on the ship with a well placed grenade.

tactical_005-1.png

Only, what's that? Not used to dealing with grenades Robson? Robson drops the grenade and retreats rather than throwing it for reasons later described later as "not feeling like there was enough time."

tactical_004.png

Fortunately Iwahara was already in the process of flanking the alien. She noticed that the alien had already dropped it's weapon in a panic the proceeded to kill it with one well placed gunshot from the hip before hearing an explosion from round the corner.

tactical_006.png

When administering first aid to the heavily wounded squaddies in the radius of the fumbled grenade she asked Robson what she was thinking. Her reply of "I heard that grenades were totally overpowered" elicited a response from Iwahara that is not fit for this report.

Sumie Iwahara, we salute you.

Iwahara is exactly the sort of new recruit we need to replace the five people lost in the last failed attempt to deal with a parked very large UFO. I have to admit that my command to evac was delayed by a desire to collect alien tech and bodies but nobody could have foreseen the ugly scene where the survivors had to watch an overloaded team mate shot in the back as he was close to returning to the Skyranger.

More Fun To Compute said:
In my game large UFOs have started appearing regularly but my interceptors are not up to the job of taking them down and the ill fated plasma weapons research program I started in january has given me no results a apart from tying up my researchers. Ugh, I'm ramping it down and researching more laser tech and some simpler alien tech as I want more results.

I always rush to research laser rifle at the start of the game as it is the second best weapon in the game, behind heavy plasma. You should start researching heavy plasma only later in the game, after you have more heavy plasma in your inventory and after you researched personal armor and medikit which should be of higher priority. Never ever research heavy laser or any other plasma weapon, they are worthless.

To those new to the game, a few more advice:

Always buy 22 scientists at the start of the game. And build living quarters immediately, along with large radar and stores. You'll want to get as much scientists as possible ASAP.

A way to win all battles easily: choose a handful of your soldiers to become elites and the rest to become cannon fodders. Rush your cannon fodders through the battlefield to scout out the enemies and draw enemy fire, while use your elites to get kills. The stats of your elites will improve over time and eventually they'll be invincible.

Don't use tanks, they are expensive and their stats don't improve. On the long run they become worthless. You can use them to scout out the battlefield but I prefer using cannon fodder soldiers as dead soldiers means buying replacements, and buying replacements means you can choose the soldiers with the best stats.

When you have nothing to manufacture, manufacture medikits to sell for profit. Later in the game manufacture laser cannons to sell as they are the most profitable.

At a lower difficulty, never shoot down spaceships as landed crafts are much more profitable.

Place your starting base somewhere in Europe as that covers the most countries.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
RiggenBlaque said:
X-Com 2 was seriously fucking hard. Jesus christ that game was hard
The trick was not using range-weapons against Lobstermen at all - PneumaticDrill kills them in one hit (worst case, two). It was this realization that made me respect the game as not just reskinned cash-in but a genuine design effort to make something new with existing framework.

scytheavatar said:
I always rush to research laser rifle at the start of the game as it is the second best weapon in the game, behind heavy plasma. You should start researching heavy plasma only later in the game, after you have more heavy plasma in your inventory and after you researched personal armor and medikit which should be of higher priority. Never ever research heavy laser or any other plasma weapon, they are worthless.

Don't use tanks, they are expensive and their stats don't improve. On the long run they become worthless. You can use them to scout out the battlefield but I prefer using cannon fodder soldiers as dead soldiers means buying replacements, and buying replacements means you can choose the soldiers with the best stats.

I did get laser rifles first, and now I'm getting more laser tech as the heavier laser stuff is improved with default xcomutil options. I had enough heavy plasmas in stock in the second month playing in veteran mode.

I really like tanks for the smaller UFO missions at the start, at least, where large squads are not needed. It might not be optimal in terms improving soldiers but they survive more often and it speeds up the missions a lot. I'm building a laser tank right now.

I didn't like the way everything was going down, so I decided to restart from the beginning again. This time I'm playing on veteran and I changed my build order to focus more on profitability. Pretty soon I got a few workshops up and running and now I'm making a lot of money selling laser cannons. I don't know if it's because of the higher difficulty or what, but I'm getting loads of great missions. The only thing I need now is to capture, interrogate, and dissect an alien with psyonic abilities. I try to send all mentally weak soldiers to my secondary bases, but a psi lab would make the job a whole lot easier.

Here are my bases and last month's report.

15mztdy.jpg
sxhljl.png
jl1ehl.png
219pic6.png

archnemesis said:
I didn't like the way everything was going down, so I decided to restart from the beginning again.

Welcome to my world. I was going to post amusing/interesting stories, but I've restarted the game about five times already! I keep having disastrous terror missions or biting off more than I can chew attacking landed battleships early on, and the result is pretty much always a fiasco that loses me nigh on everything.

As an example I had a sectoid terror mission. Started off pretty good. Then I got into a horrible downward spiral of a few enemy snipers picking off men one by one and I couldn't pin them down. It was ok though, I still had my two best officers in the skyranger as an ace up my sleeve. Unfortunately I also left a single random noob in the square behind them.

The aliens mind controlled him and he literally shot my carefully groomed officers in the back.

To make matters worse I managed a near full clean up with my remaining soldiers, after a wave of sheer panic that resulted in them dropping their weapons and running away every other turn. It was in the bag. Then the last of my good squaddies was downed in a ridiculous long range alien reaction shot through two windows. I had one more rookie and the traitor left, who - now the psi alien was dead - was trustworthy once more.

I uncovered the last enemy with my HWP which had somehow also survived. Only there wasn't one alien - there was an alien and a FUCKING CYBERDISC right next to each other. I had one rocket left. It missed. The HWP sat there like a lemon with no weapons for a turn before it got chewed to pieces. The rookie got picked off by the camping bastards. It was all down to the traitor. I'd love to post an incredible story of how he redeemed himself by turning things around, but no, the single alien had shifted position and easily picked him off as he approached. I hadn't even saved once at this point, and turned the game off in disgust.

I think playing this game as much as I did over the weekend must indiciate some deeply seated hatred for myself. :(

epmode

Gexecuter said:
Fuck the team isn't even out and we already got one casualty, it happened so fast i didn't noticed who died, i think it was some poor soul called Epmode.
Oh god, it must have been some Omaha Beach-style plasma fire as the Skyranger doors swung open. I'm a hero.

I love X-COM casualty lists.

Things are taking a serious turn for the worse.

It starts like this.

tactical_002.png

Noo, a Chrysalid. Okay, this is containable. I'll just park the tank here and block the exit.

tactical_004-1.png

Seriously?

tactical_005-2.png
tactical_009.png

Aaand.

tactical_011.png
geoscape_007-1.png

That was a bit of setback but all is replaceable.

Next mission.

tactical_013.png

What the hell?

Acosta said:
Guys, one question, does the X-Com version of Steam has the difficulty restart bug?

Yes, and I recommend playing on higher difficulty levels if you want to raise the odds of your whole squad being killed by a blaster bomb at the start of a mission in April.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
geoscape_000.png

After the last missions things were doing fine, the only noteworthy mission was a small alien craft that contained a single alien, the rookie Shred0r was responsible for the kill.

geoscape_003.png

However we received reports of aliens killing civilians in Melbourne, i was feeling confident after researching and manufacturing laser rifles so i send the team to the location of distress.

tactical_008.png

Team members: Archnemesis, Chicken Ramen, Xater, DennisK4, Versipellis, Shred0r, ElJuice and StrummerJones.

tactical_009.png

Archnemesis: I'll throw a smoke grenade near the exit so that the aliens have trouble shooting at us, i heard that somewhere....

tactical_011.png

Chicken Ramen: Reaper spotted! i'll get it.

tactical_016.png

Chicken Ramen: Got it! i think the area is clear now...

tactical_021.png

Xater: Understood moving on.

tactical_026.png

Xater: Wait i spot an alien directly in front of me, let's see if you like a taste of my laser!

tactical_028.png

tactical_032.png

Xater: Damn still alive, these fuckers are tough.

tactical_034.png

Versipellis: I'll go around the building trough the other way.

tactical_035.png

Shred0r: I'll go with you.

tactical_037.png

ElJuice: Damn another reaper spotted, be careful guys.

tactical_044.png

Archnemesis: Fuck yo fence!

tactical_045.png

Archnemesis: I am coming for you baby.

tactical_050.png

Versipellis: Fuck how did it get so close?! Die you alien fuck!

tactical_051.png

Versipellis: Huh?!

tactical_052.png

Versipellis: AHHHHHHHHrggg!

Shred0r: NOOOOOOO!

tactical_054.png

Shred0r: Die!

tactical_055.png

Shred0r:AHA! got it!

tactical_056.png

Shred0r: Hey what's that green stuff coming my way? oh fu.......*dies*

DennisK4: Damn Versipellis and now Shred0r are down.

tactical_090.png

Archnemesis: It's time to kick ass!

tactical_091.png

Archnemesis: Say hello to my little friend!

tactical_092.png

Archnemesis: Fuck yeah!

tactical_093.png

Archnemesis: WTF?! Still alive?! not fair man.

tactical_094.png

Archnemesis: UGH!

tactical_095.png

Archnemesis: I'm still alive! thank god, now i'll have to do is to take cover behind the house and....

tactical_096.png

Archnemesis: COME ON!

tactical_097.png

Archnemesis: I regret nothing...*dies*

tactical_103.png

DennisK4: I had it with these motherfucking aliens on my motherfucking lawn motherfucking my team members!, EAT THIS!

tactical_105.png

tactical_110.png

DennisK4: SUCCESS!

tactical_116.png

DennisK4: Now i'll go see if there are more alien scum around the corner.

tactical_117.png

DennisK4: Yep, i am pretty sure there are more alien scum out there because one just hit me.

tactical_118.png

DennisK4: Tell sarah...i love her...argggg *dies*

tactical_122.png

Xater: Fuck! DennisK4 is dead....i guess i'll be the team member badass from now on.

tactical_124.png

Xater: Time to fuck this wall.

tactical_125.png

Xater: Wall fucked and alien spotted, i see if i can hit him.

tactical_126.png

Xater: I didn't hit the enemy but some walls were fucked nonetheless so i guess everything balances itself out.

tactical_128.png

Xater: Fuck an alien is right near my ass, where's everybody?!

tactical_140.png

Xater: Fucking walls always pays off at the end.

tactical_153.png

Chicken Ramen: Another Reaper killed, i am going up road.

tactical_160.png

Xater: Another down!

tactical_164.png

StrummerJones: I'll secure the ship, umm someone has to!

tactical_188.png

ElJuice: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *dies*

tactical_194.png

Chicken Ramen: Floater eliminated, moving on to the market.

tactical_198.png

Xater: Damn an alien is shooting at me!

tactical_219.png

Xater: Damn that was close!

tactical_230.png

Xater: I'll take cover behind these generic looking products.

tactical_243.png

Chicken Ramen: Fuck i missed, i'll go take cover.

tactical_256.png

Xater: Fuck my cover is gone! i better make this shot count or i am dead.

tactical_257.png

tactical_258.png

Xater: FUCK YEAH!

tactical_268.png

Xater: I'll just move over her...fuck off!

tactical_269.png

Xater: The Reaper is down Chicken.

Chicken Ramen: Good job.

Xater: I'll go back and look for more non human stuff to waste.

tactical_270.png

Xater: This seems normal.

tactical_274.png

tactical_275.png

tactical_276.png

tactical_278.png

Xater: Oh Snap!

tactical_279.png

Xater: My only regret is...being stupid enough to stand in the open like that, seriously who was the genius who though that was a good idea?......arghhh *dies*

Chicken Ramen: *Slow mo* NOOOOOOOOO!

tactical_285.png

Alien: LOL

tactical_288.png

Chicken Ramen: I'll avenge you Xater and the rest!

tactical_291.png

Chicken Ramen: DIE!

tactical_296.png

Chicken Ramen: Kill is confirmed, StrummerJones tell the base they can begin the retrieval process. I am gonna pass out now.

geoscape_010.png

This mission was pure shit, i lost 6 good men not to mention the dozen of civilians that we couldn't save. Next time i'll make sure i am even more equipped before doing another terror mission.

Casualties: Archnemesis, Dennisk4, Shred0r, Versipellis, ElJuice and Xater.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gexecuter said:
Team members: Archnemesis, Chicken Ramen, Xater, DennisK4, Versipellis, Shred0r, ElJuice and StrummerJones.
I must obviously have been away doing valuable reconnaissance elsewhere. ;)

Dennis

Banned
This thread is fantastic.

Makes me ache for a REAL new X-Com game.

Just think about it. The core gameplay but with improvements and better balancing. And of course in glorious HD.

Still, game needs to be rock hard. I always felt that was one of the key strengths of X-Com.

XiaNaphryz

ElJuice said:
Desk jockeying while we risked our lives, no doubt.
These recruitment papers won't push themselves! Optimal logistics is a huge part of any competent military organization.

So are myself and StrummerJones the only ones left from the first deployment?

Sloegr

XiaNaphryz said:
These recruitment papers won't push themselves! Optimal logistics is a huge part of any competent military organization.

With you hiding behind desks and Strummer on Skyranger maintenance duty, you guys may live to see retirement! Please throw a few bucks to my orphaned kids if you would be so kind.

XiaNaphryz

ElJuice said:

With you hiding behind desks and Strummer on Skyranger maintenance duty, you guys may live to see retirement! Please throw a few bucks to my orphaned kids if you would be so kind.
They'll make welcome additions on the team when they sign on for X-Com Terror from the Deep campaign as they'll be old enough by then. Even if I don't survive until then, I'll file the recommendations into the system now!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
XiaNaphryz said:
I must obviously have been away doing valuable reconnaissance elsewhere. ;)

Soldier XiaNaphryz was not deployed in the Melbourne assignment because he was too busy cleaning the mess hall after he suffered an explosive diarrhea, tacos were to blame for this incident.

XiaNaphryz said:

Yes.

DennisK4 said:
All is lost. This is the end for humanity.
Very enjoyable write-up.

I actually felt a little bad when you died, but in X-com anyone can die at anytime specially when doing an ironman run. Oh and thanks for the kind words! :D

methane47 said:
Gexecuter you gotta put me back in the game Coach!!!

Alien technology has rebuilt me!! made me stronger!! faster!!

While we were able to rebuild methane47's body using alien technology the results were less than optimal, the subject presented several mental retardation that caused him to cut off several of his own limbs during a routine laser rifle training starting with his genitals. It was decided to end the project so i ordered to dispose of the test subject in the most humane way available: By blowing him into bits with a grenade.

PS: methane47 brother enlisted into the X-com group after hearing of his brother death, the brother called "methane47's brother" will be put to the test in the next mission.

XiaNaphryz

Gexecuter said:
Soldier XiaNaphryz was not deployed in the Melbourne assignment because he was too busy cleaning the mess hall after he suffered an explosive diarrhea, tacos were to blame for this incident.
Better tacos than alien spawn. So now will the rest of the crew start listening to my catering suggestions instead of flagging down a random taco truck that passes by?

Sloegr

XiaNaphryz said:
They'll make welcome additions on the team when they sign on for X-Com Terror from the Deep campaign as they'll be old enough by then. Even if I don't survive until then, I'll file the recommendations into the system now!

Nice! I just hope they have better stats than their old man.

Mindlog

DennisK4 said:

Just think about it. The core gameplay but with improvements and better balancing. And of course in glorious HD.

Still, game needs to be rock hard. I always felt that was one of the key strengths of X-Com.

X-Com is my favorite game.

However, I believe the time has come for P-Com.

Core mechanics remain the same. World map(s), base building and team management is carried over almost directly. The universe is shifted from a UFO/X-Files styled influence to the Fringe styled universe. Enemies don't fall from space they open doorways from a Parallel Dimension. The developers can have free range to toy with game mechanics. The PD setup allows for multiple factions of both the friend and foe variety (and multiplayer.) It allows simultaneous attack and defense. It is Yin and Wang.

wait what

Jakeh111

Had this game as a kid and loved it even tho I would never get to far into the game. Bought it off Steam and now maybe just maybe I can beat it!

Mindlog said:
X-Com is my favorite game.

However, I believe the time has come for P-Com.

I think that UFO: Enemy Unclothed is probably the final evolved form of the X-COM like game and can't be bettered conceptually.

LETTER FROM THE CHAIRMAN:

Reports just in, indicate that there has been a sharp upturn in the
number of sightings of Unidentified Flashing Objects in recent weeks.
This trend can not be allowed to continue unchecked, and so, a new
anti-flasher defence force has been created to combat this threat....
....this new top secret force shall be known as "X-PANTS".

You have just been appointed manager of a brand new X-PANTS factory,
your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to build up this new
facility into a thriving business that can keep your offensive forces
supplied with the latest in pants technology so that they, in turn,
can one day hope to gain the upper hand in the ever increasing struggle
for supremacy between the forces of good (that's us), and our sworn
enemies, the FLASHERS!!! (they're the bad guys.....Yaa..Boo..Hiss).
You have limited funds and only basic weaponry to start with, but,
with skill, and careful management, you should be able to establish
a well honed fighting force, equipped with the biggest and best pants
available, and supported by an efficient (and highly profitable)
pants-production facility.
Good luck.....
The Chairman. (X-PANTS plc)

DennisK4 said:

The thing about the difficulty in X-Com that's great is that it's only as hard as the goals the player sets for themselves. If you want to finish the game with the same squad that you started with, you're insane for one thing, and you have an extremely difficult task ahead of you. It's possible to pretty much fuck > 50% of your missions up and still make it to the end of the game, assuming that you know the right things to research and keep recruiting a steady stream of rookie meat.

Dennis

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
The thing about the difficulty in X-Com that's great is that it's only as hard as the goals the player sets for themselves. If you want to finish the game with the same squad that you started with, you're insane for one thing, and you have an extremely difficult task ahead of you. It's possible to pretty much fuck > 50% of your missions up and still make it to the end of the game, assuming that you know the right things to research and keep recruiting a steady stream of rookie meat.
I always get very attached to a few of my guys/gals. Its a big part of the game for me.

McNum

Hmm, I never actually made it though X-Com. I once got an Avenger, but no useful armor or weapons, and once got the weapons, but no new craft. Then I get overwhelmed. Too few scientists, I think. Also, never got Psi, just got to be on the unpleasant end of it.

I'll give it another go, see if I can win. On Beginner. No ironman, but with non-excessive save-scumming. Some things are worth a few dead troops. Like live aliens of certain ranks or the life of someone important.

Also, am I the only one who wants an X-Com plugin for Google Earth now? Use Google Earth for Geoscape and an X-Com-ish Battlescape. That would be awesome.

They pulled the plug on the project! Those foolish fools! They'll never honor those bogus peace treaties.

:lol Wow, its been a long time since I failed the game. Veteran difficulty is harder than I remember. Things just really started to unravel at the end. I finished my Avenger but didn't have an ounce of fuel for it. I figured I could use my basic ships until I found some. I detected absolutely nothing but large ships. The only thing I could do was fight in terror sites to appease my funding nations. Those damn civilians could have just as easily shot themselves at the rate they were dying.

I'm starting over on veteran.

Gexecuter said:
Casualties: Archnemesis, Dennisk4, Shred0r, Versipellis, ElJuice and Xater.
Tch! In my next life I'll remember to bring some Incendiary shells with me :\
Are you taking screenshots one by one, or do you record the entire mission and then take the screenshots?
I was going to write down all the UFO encounters and all the scientific milestones in my game, but after having 50 UFOs in a month I ditched the idea. But to write down every significant move and to take screenshots of so many relevant moments... that's quite a feat.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Versipellis said:
Tch! In my next life I'll remember to bring some Incendiary shells with me :\
Are you taking screenshots one by one, or do you record the entire mission and then take the screenshots?
I was going to write down all the UFO encounters and all the scientific milestones in my game, but after having 50 UFOs in a month I ditched the idea. But to write down every significant move and to take screenshots of so many relevant moments... that's quite a feat.

I just take a bunch of screenshots with ctrl + F5 (Just in case someone didn't know that) whenever something happens, i don't quite get all the cool moments in screenshots so sometimes i have to resort to clever editing with dialogue. Still my pics are pretty close to what happened. Anyway i have another terror mission coming up, i have personal armor but only laser rifles which worries but i can't miss this one since the mission is right near my base. I'll update later oh and i am taking a brand new batch of gaffers with me :D

Mindlog

Sorting through old screenshots. I remember this one being weird.

shot0001.png

A negative 266m rating is met with disapproval and more funding.

We expanded the psi-amp operation to include counter-infiltration of our own governments. This is no time to be concerned with 'liberties.' Our very existence is at stake.

Top Bottom