• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'X-Men' Spinoff 'Gambit' Sets 2019 Release Date

Slayven

Taking 15 years to resolve a plotline in an anticlimactic way is probably the most X-Men thing imaginable, though. ;)

That being said, I'm pretty sure the X-Traitor story only went on for about 4...

Started in 1992, kinda of wrapped up in 2001, and unwrapped and wrapped up again in 2007

Started in 1992, kinda of wrapped up in 2001, and unwrapped and wrapped up again in 2007

By 2001, The Witness wasn't even Old Man Gambit anymore, absolving him of all responsibility in that mess.

And at least we got this scene out of it all:

e3c03493bb698db7c805a4e9c771f406--top-five-marvel-dc.jpg

I am in post production with my Maggot and Marrow buddy cop thriller

the body horror buddy comedy I never knew I needed

Why do geeks hate gambit so much? Dude was hilarious in the cartoon

Maybe he was shit in some comic storylines, maybe not. No filmmaker is beholden to that beyond just the basic attributes and personality tho really

What I'm worried about is that head condom/ear wrap thing. Y'all think they will try to pull that off on camera.....could end up absurd

I always thought the hate is because Gambit is simply too cool. Neat powers that he uses in his trademark way, sexy accent, master thief, lady killer who wears a trench coat.

It's a bit much

I always thought the hate is because Gambit is simply too cool. Neat powers that he uses in his trademark way, sexy accent, master thief, lady killer who wears a trench coat.

It's a bit much

All of this also happens to give him a tremendous amount of potential as a movie lead.

While he has been taken down quite a few pegs in recent years, his too cool-ness is why I've always felt he works better as a solo character than as part of an ensemble cast.

I always point to the first half of Gambit's '99 solo series as the best showcase of what makes the character work. I'll shill it forever. It balanced the elements of his character in a way that made him more nuanced and believable while still maintaining the inherent coolness. It was also drawn by the guy that did the storyboards for The Matrix, so the action scenes were top notch. The second half of the series had much worse art, but was still pretty good even though it got a bit off the rails weird.

It's also worth mentioning this book was selling well and then got cancelled for no real reason other than Joe Quesada wanting to trim down the X-Men line. It marked the beginning of Gambit's decline in relevance in the comics.

Top Bottom