• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

Speevy said:
Not to mention that this actually lessens the gap between PS3 and 360.

It was $600-400

Now it's $500-350

Retarded.

The thing is though to casuals $400 isn't affordable... so its not like the PS3 drop is going to sell to anyone but hardcores...

this $50 price drop though is getting closer to that $300 mark... and with GTA and Halo 3... I think we will see a lot of sales this holiday.

C4Lukins

Speevy said:
Stupid, stupid move.

Halo 3 is going to send 360s flying off the shelves regardless.

All they did here is weakened the impact for the inevitable drop to $299.

$50 price drops don't work when they bring the machine to the midpoint between two hundred dollar amounts.

I doubt this will have a big impact on the Pro or Elite, but I think it could be pretty significant for the Core. If they would just stop farting around and include some sort of memory storage with the Core.... Even without it though, it is now a gimped but competitively priced unit instead of just gimped.

Speevy

Banned
RiskyChris said:
No it's a smart move. They want profitability, so $100 right now is a bit extreme. I bet $50 will have a HUGE effect on sales at least temporarily, and we'll see the other half of the Benjamin get taken off by the holidays.

There's no way. 2 price drops in just a few months? People will interpret this as a red flag and it will hurt long-term sales.

The Xbox 360 has been on store shelves since November 2005, and the only sensible price drop is $100.

If they were going to drop the price $50, it should have happened in 2006.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
crazyscreenwriter said:
Everyone said the same thing about the PSP price cut but Thirty dollars seems to have worked for them so I wouldn't write MS off that quickly

Oh c'mon. You're smarter than that. Don't compare handhelds to consoles.

MechDX

Karma Kramer said:
The thing is though to casuals $400 isn't affordable... so its not like the PS3 drop is going to sell to anyone but hardcores...

this $50 price drop though is getting closer to that $300 mark... and with GTA and Halo 3... I think we will see a lot of sales this holiday.

Going totally hypothetical here but.....$249 Core with 64MB memory card included?

Speevy said:
There's no way. 2 price drops in just a few months? People will interpret this as a red flag and it will hurt long-term sales.

The Xbox 360 has been on store shelves since November 2005, and the only sensible price drop is $100.

Either way, I'll one up you and say this will affect the August NPD by 100k at least.

Speevy

Banned
DCharlie said:
$150 difference between PS3 and X360 as Halo 3 hits with GTA sitting around the corner?

What now Sony?

Laugh as PS3 sales increase to about 150K in July while 360 sales are barely over 200K in August?

Watch.

Meier

Speevy said:

No. They'll see it as hey we're saving money, WOOOOHOOOO!

MechDX said:
Going totally hypothetical here but.....$249 Core with 64MB memory card included?

Actually it doesn't even need a memory card... I mean the PS2 didn't have a memory card soo... casuals will probably still bite. At least thats Microsoft's thinking.

reilo

RiskyChris said:
Either way, I'll one up you and say this will affect the August NPD by 100k at least.

Hrmm... You will either be totally right or make an ass out of yourself.

MechDX

BradVanDam said:
but it has madden at 60 FPS oh wait thats PS3 too :lol

Madden....anyone else notice that the commercials for "Madden Day", the release of Madden '08, shows the 360 controller and the commercial ends with the 360 splash screen and LIVE logo?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think you might be jumping the gun in assuming the $50 dollar drop is universal.

Jammy

Banned
As somebody that doesn't have an HDTV and probably won't for a few years, what's horrible about the Core? I just want to play my damn Halo 3, Mass Effect, RE5, Banjo-Threeie, etc. There will probably be several deals that will offer the Core with a memory card bundled during the holiday season, and I'd jump on that for only $250.

MCD

Speevy said:

But remember what Peter Moore (i think) said?

they don't feel threatened by Sony, so why should they drop the price?

50 is like...a gift from them, cause they can even not drop the price at all, lol.

Speevy said:

What exactly are you arguing? If they don't drop $100 they shouldn't drop at all? WTF? :lol

Tobor

Speevy said:
Laugh as PS3 sales increase to about 150K in July while 360 sales are barely over 200K in August?

Watch.

Well, what about when PS3 drops to 130 in August. Or even lower. $500 is still too high for sustained growth.

$350 with Madden coming out should help. $350 with Halo coming out will absolutely help.

Speevy

Banned
Jammy said:
As somebody that doesn't have an HDTV and probably won't for a few years, what's horrible about the Core?

The Xbox 360 has mountains of downloadable content that you'll never see.

Joates

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I think you might be jumping the gun in assuming the $50 dollar drop is universal.

Well it seems it would be tard-errific to leave the Elite at 480. And it would damn near eliminate sales of the core pack... I think its almost safe to say that it is a universal drop throughout the line. Maybe not $50 for every model, but they will drop on each.

Edit: were you referring to the drop just being walmart?

I don't really understand this, why wouldn't they drop the price after Halo 3 comes out? Seems to me they're leaving a lot of money on the table by doing this.

reilo

Tobor said:
Well, what about when PS3 drops to 130 in August. Or even lower. $500 is still too high for sustained growth.

$350 with Madden coming out should help. $350 with Halo coming out will absolutely help.

Will a $50 price-drop around Halo 3s release even matter? Chances are, people were already going to buy the damn thing for Halo 3 anyway (or have already), so what would the estimated jump in sales be for the month? Realistically? 25K? 50K? 100K? No jump at all? It's not like the X360 is grasping for some good games, it already has them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Joates said:
Well it seems it would be tard-errific to leave the Elite at 480. And it would damn near eliminate sales of the core pack... I think its almost safe to say that it is a universal drop throughout the line. Maybe not $50 for every model, but they will drop on each.

Oh, I definitely think it will drop on all models. But not $50. You will quote the great Kev in the future, I see it in a vision. Perhaps everyone is laughing at me, but so it goes.

Also there were rumors of a $100 dollar drop a few days ago, which perhaps indicates some lines are crossed along the industry grapevine somewhere. I think I'm mixing my metaphors now.

Y2Kev said:
well, People jumped the gun when it was the PS3 price drop in the Circuit City ad, and we saw what happened there.

mood

Shalashaska said:
I don't really understand this, why wouldn't they drop the price after Halo 3 comes out? Seems to me they're leaving a lot of money on the table by doing this.

Eh, instead of hoping a megaton of people will buy 360s for Halo 3 why not try to make sure of it?

usea

If it drops a little more, and somebody decides to make an affordable quality hdtv, us financially normal people will start buying them.

reilo said:
Will a $50 price-drop around Halo 3s release even matter? Chances are, people were already going to buy the damn thing for Halo 3 anyway (or have already), so what would the estimated jump in sales be for the month? Realistically? 25K? 50K? 100K? No jump at all? It's not like the X360 is grasping for some good games, it already has them.

You just answered you own question.

GhaleonEB

A $50 cut is a lot better than no cut, and the timing is spot-on. They'll do much better this holiday than last.

But a $100 cut would have a lot more than double the impact, I think. Still, a $250 Core pack is starting to make that a viable option for the offline crowd.

Wollan

sonic4ever said:
well, People jumped the gun when it was the PS3 price drop in the Circuit City ad, and we saw what happened there.

I think he means it could be 279$ for core and 449$ for Elite. I believe it to be universal though (50$ off all).

reilo

Karma Kramer said:
You just answered you own question.

I personally think the increase in sales won't be as huge, but I'm not asking myself, I'm asking others what they think.

MercuryLS

Banned
Speevy said:
The Xbox 360 has mountains of downloadable content that you'll never see.

Not everyone cares about this, or online play. Remember all those PS2 gamers that never had DLC, online play (for the ones that didn't buy a network adaptor), etc? They were fine playing pretty games with a mem card. The core is for those consumers, MS just needs to make it a bit more attractive cause with bulti-in memory and wireless controllers standard on all next-gen platforms, the core seems kinda weak in comparison. It wouldn't be that much of a tard pack with those two things in the box.

mood said:
Eh, instead of hoping a megaton of people will buy 360s for Halo 3 why not try to make sure of it?
Yeah I guess but I doubt they will bring in more people than what they would've made otherwise. Oh well, not my money anyway.

Crisis

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Wait are you guys saying universal as in stores or by SKU?

I'm saying that I don't think it's a $50 price cut across the board for every 360 SKU.I get the feeling that it might just be the regular 360 getting the price cut. That's the one that sells the most anyway. Anything else is just gravy for Microsoft.

Sean

Banned
Thing is even if people on the fence are disappointed that it's not a $100 price drop, they see it's been two years and the price JUST dropped. They'll think the price isn't gonna drop again anytime soon and it might push those folks over the edge.

Obviously this won't have as big an impact as a $100 price drop would, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I think this'll boost sales of the core pack the most.

Y2Kev said:
Oh, I definitely think it will drop on all models. But not $50. You will quote the great Kev in the future, I see it in a vision. Perhaps everyone is laughing at me, but so it goes.

Also there were rumors of a $100 dollar drop a few days ago, which perhaps indicates some lines are crossed along the industry grapevine somewhere. I think I'm mixing my metaphors now.

The Rumor was for a $50 price drop in August not $100. It was Patcher that said he expected Microsoft to drop the system $100 at E3.

Top Bottom