• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

Crisis said:
I'm saying that I don't think it's a $50 price cut across the board for every 360 SKU.I get the feeling that it might just be the regular 360 getting the price cut. That's the one that sells the most anyway. Anything else is just gravy for Microsoft.

Yeah, I very much doubt this is a SKU-wide cut. A $250 core would be good for MS though... the HD-less SKU has already done it's damage so I don't care if people buy it from now on.

TJ Spyke said:
It could just be a store sale (although I doubt they would drop $50 when stores barely make a profit on systems).

Hope this is real (and that the Elite gets a price drop too since that is the one I want).
walmart doesnt do single store circulars, im sure this is hitting in the first few weeks of august, stores get these ads about 3 weeks out

Y2Kev said:
Oh, I definitely think it will drop on all models. But not $50. You will quote the great Kev in the future, I see it in a vision. Perhaps everyone is laughing at me, but so it goes.

Also there were rumors of a $100 dollar drop a few days ago, which perhaps indicates some lines are crossed along the industry grapevine somewhere. I think I'm mixing my metaphors now.

Drop the price on the CORE to $199.99 to compete with the OG Tard Pack (therwise called the Wii), drop the Premium to $350 and knock the Elite to $399. And thereby confusing Speevy endlessly.

MechDX

sp0rsk said:
I dunno, wouldn't they advertise all skus if this drop was for all skus?

Easier for WM to replenish the premium unit to the stores because they keep it in their regional warehouses. the core is what they call an "assembly item", order is place at store to home office than the vendor and shipped directly from vendor to store.

Karma Kramer said:
This could just be Wal-Mart doing its own little price-cut couldn't it? Like a limited time price cut or something.

:lol Walmart is going to eat $50 or whatever on each system sold? MS is giving Wal Mart an exclusive price cut?

Doubtful!

Joates

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Oh, I definitely think it will drop on all models. But not $50. You will quote the great Kev in the future, I see it in a vision. Perhaps everyone is laughing at me, but so it goes.

Also there were rumors of a $100 dollar drop a few days ago, which perhaps indicates some lines are crossed along the industry grapevine somewhere. I think I'm mixing my metaphors now.

Dude, share the vision.

MercuryLS

Banned
reilo said:
I personally think the increase in sales won't be as huge, but I'm not asking myself, I'm asking others what they think.

X360 would have been fine this holiday with no pricecut, but this $50 off will give it a boost for the next 2 months and the holiday rush will start and it'll do very well. This is a move to get early momentum going into the holiday, and it will help in early 08 where they can plan another $50 cut.

Sharp

About time, Microsoft. Lots of people have been waiting on a price drop, especially since everyone expected you to announce one the moment the PS3 dropped in price as well. Don't be so slow next time!

$50? Come on MS, we know your profitability numbers, just suck it down and take the inevitable $100 cut like a man.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
MechDX said:
Easier for WM to replenish the premium unit to the stores because they keep it in their regional warehouses.the core is what they call an "assembly item", order is place at store to home office than the vendor and shipped directly from vendor to store.

Okay, one more time, in English please.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think you'll see smaller cuts on the other SKUs. As Speevy said, and it's a good point, they need to keep the hard drive pricing in line.

Joates: Sorry, I don't know anything. :lol I'm just taking speculating based on what I've seen from MS. They will cut where it counts most: the premium. I'm not "hinting." Any information I'd have to go on is available to everyone else.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
RiskyChris said:
:lol Walmart is going to eat $50 or whatever on each system sold? MS is giving Wal Mart an exclusive price cut?

Doubtful!

Maybe Wal-Mart is clearancing them out when the Spartan edition comes out with 65 nm.

Y2Kev said:
I think you'll see smaller cuts on the other SKUs. As Speevy said, and it's a good point, they need to keep the hard drive pricing in line.

If they wanted to keep the HDD prices in line they would have to cut $50 across the board.

mood

Wario64 said:
Maybe Wal-Mart is clearancing them out when the Spartan edition comes out with 65 nm.

Microsoft to introduce $399 80gb Forza 2 premium bundle when 20gb stock runs out.

MechDX

sp0rsk said:

Ok...

The premium unit is what WM calls a "warehouse item". this means it is kept instock at the WM regional warehouses. when stores order it takes 3-4 days to get to store on a WM truck.

the core is called an "assembly item". Store places order, home office takes that order and sends it to vendor. Vendor then ships the order usually directly to stores. This process usually takes around 2 weeks.

Y2Kev

Karma Kramer said:
If they wanted to keep the HDD prices in line they would have to cut $50 across the board.

That's true, I guess. I really am just guessing.

Reilo: I never pretended to be MS CLEO

CALL ME NOW FOR YA FREE RROD'ING

GhaleonEB

It may be that Wal-Mart only allocated space to advertise the cut on that SKU, not all three. (Do they even carry the Elite?)

Still, it doesn't make sense to drop the price on only one SKU. They've got to shuffle up more than just that.

LJ11

RiskyChris said:

Doubtful!

Toysrus had the premium for $300 for a week or two last year, around the holidays, so it's not out realm of possibility. I still think it's a general cut.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
LJ11 said:
Toyrsus had the premium for $300 for a week or two last year, around the holidays, so it's not out realm of possibility. I still think it's a general cut.

Not really, they gave a $100 gift card

sp0rsk said:
basically the electronic manager scans the bar code with his telxon, pushes a few buttons and that info goes to home office and the they order from the vendor [ms in this case] and the vendor ships to the store via ups

sprsk

MechDX said:
Ok...

The premium unit is what WM calls a "warehouse item". this means it is kept instock at the WM regional warehouses. when stores order it takes 3-4 days to get to store on a WM truck.

the core is called an "assembly item". Store places order, home office takes that order and sends it to vendor. Vendor then ships the order usually directly to stores. This process usually takes around 2 weeks.

So they never advertise these assembly items?

Mrbob

So MS only went for the 50 dollar drop. Interesting.

There won't be a second price drop this year either. That would be beyond stupid.

May 2008 is when you'll see a $299.99 premium system. We'll see if this works out.

It may be that Wal-Mart only allocated space to advertise the cut on that SKU, not all three. (Do they even carry the Elite?)

Still, it doesn't make sense to drop the price on only one SKU. They've got to shuffle up more than just that.

MS carries the Elite, and they probably only decided to advertise their biggest 360 system seller (premium).

dangrib

will we see a decent boost in core pickups from this? i'm thinking about it now just for my room. assuming they actually bring the price down here in oz (see ps3 starter pack)

rs7k

This is obviously real. It's the same kind of leak Sony did to forums and the price dropped like 3 days after. It's certainly not even inevitable after Sony's great E3 and MS' desire to catch momentum before Halo 3, as well as overshadow the warranty extension announcements.

Even if $50 is less than the PS3's price drop, it's also now only $50 away from the PS2's initial MSRP. Combine that with Halo 3, better versions of Madden and GTA, a cheaper Core that watches the Wii's price, and I hope no one is surprised if the 360 outsells the Wii during the holidays. I still believe the Wii will beat it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the 360 does massive numbers just in America.

Because of all these reasons, the timing is perfect, so it's obviously real. They'll announce it Tuesday.

MechDX

sp0rsk said:
So they never advertise these assembly items?

Not usually and if they do they send an early build up to the stores. I was just saying that combine the fact that the premium is the best selling sku, WM can replenish warehouse items to store faster and it makes the bigger impact in the ad is the reason for Premium only in the ad.

sprsk

GodfatherX said:
no sporsk, because restocking time is so long if they run out on stock they likely wont be able to restock while ad is on

Well, I learned something interesting today.

Odysseus

Banned
$50 just isn't enough, not even with halo 3 in september. if this sticks, there are going to be a lot of disappointed analysts in january, neogaf and otherwise.

Joates

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Joates: Sorry, I don't know anything. :lol I'm just taking speculating based on what I've seen from MS. They will cut where it counts most: the premium. I'm not "hinting." Any information I'd have to go on is available to everyone else.

I actually wouldnt be surprised if the Premium just happens to be the console stuck in the middle of this price drop scheme. 249 Core in an attempt to steal some press from the Wii, and a ~400ish Elite just to keep undercutting sony by a healthy margin. The Premium is just along for the ride.

Overall it seems like much more of a marketing ploy to gain some positive press rather than really boost sales.

Y2Kev

sp0rsk said:
Well, I learned something interesting today.

If that's the case (re: core), is the same true of the Elite?

Joates said:
I actually wouldnt be surprised if the Premium just happens to be the console stuck in the middle of this price drop scheme. 249 Core in an attempt to steal some press from the Wii, and a ~400ish Elite just to keep undercutting sony by a healthy margin. The Premium is just along for the ride.

Overall it seems like much more of a marketing ploy to gain some positive press rather than really boost sales.

The big news here is that it's a real price drop. There won't be a SKU reconfiguration, though I guess they kiiiind of already did that by introducing the Elite two months ago. There won't be a new 480 model. At least I hope not.

If Microsoft does 249 (or higher or something)/ 349/ 399 (Halo Sku)/ 450, then they're retarded.

big_z

Small price drop or not im still holding out for news of fixed xboxs being sold. Doesn't matter if thats 65nm or new heatsink, I just dont want something that breaks....

Mrbob said:
So MS only went for the 50 dollar drop. Interesting.

There won't be a second price drop this year either. That would be beyond stupid.

May 2008 is when you'll see a $299.99 premium system. We'll see if this works out.

Well. I forget who made the point, but on Today's 1up Yours when they were going over the NPD numbers they pointed out that its now basically impossible for the PS3 to get out of 3rd place this generation, regardless.

So MS has Sony beat in a sense, so why go nuts with a $100 price cut? Instead do a $50 price cute and then next year reposition yourself to try and take on the Wii.

Speevy

Banned
It's basically impossible for PS3 to get out of third place in North America, or beat the Wii worldwide.

Any other scenario of the PS3's success is still open.

Odysseus said:
$50 just isn't enough, not even with halo 3 in september. if this sticks, there's going to be a lot of disappointed analysts in january, neogaf and otherwise.

We shall see... mr know it all.

You seemed pretty confident about a year ago that the Wii sales would taper off and die... so I don't know to trust you or not.

I will say its a shame you won't be joining GAF in the Halo fun this year.

MercuryLS

Banned
Only on GAF can a $50 pricedrop be a bad thing :lol

Sure $100 would be ideal, but it's not like this is bad either. The problem is that MS doesn't feel pressured enough to make a $100 cut (which is a shame).

Odysseus

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
We shall see... mr know it all.

You seemed pretty confident about a year ago that the Wii sales would taper off and die... so I don't know to trust you or not.

I will say its a shame you won't be joining GAF in the Halo fun this year.

i ate tons of crow about wii, this is true. so it won't be a problem to eat crow on 360, either.

Mrbob

Joates said:

Ok in both plans, MS fails.

A 249 core will not steal any press from the Wii, and a 400ISH elite looks overpriced compared to a 499 PS3.

Good news if true. My newer 360 just died so I may pick another one up as back-up. Oh and if its true theres more reason for the 80GB PS3 to be $500 before fiscal years end.

Top Bottom