• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ParticleReality said:
Good news if true. My newer 360 just died so I may pick another one up as back-up. Oh and if its true theres more reason for the 80GB PS3 to be $500 before fiscal years end.

GhaleonEB

Odysseus said:
$50 just isn't enough, not even with halo 3 in september. if this sticks, there are going to be a lot of disappointed analysts in january, neogaf and otherwise.
Depends on what you mean by "enough". Enough to outsell the PS3 hand over fist, still? Yup. Enough to do better this holiday than last? Yup. (Watch those ban bets this year.) Enough to catch up to the Wii's monthly sales? Probably not. I would say it will have a minimal impact, but the PSP $30 cut did have a big one.

One thing MS is nailing is the timing - right before Madden and the rest of the major lineup for this year (Bioshock, Blue Dragon, Halo 3, etc.). It will give them a decent pop in August, and a BIG one in September, when sales are typically flat. I do think they should have been more aggressive in the cut, but the timing is right.

I wonder if we'll see a European cut as well. They announced the Elite there, but no price, just as they announced the Halo 3 SKU, but no price. They both could be for the same reason - the price was dropping before the units shipped.

Speevy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Ok in both plans, MS fails.

A 249 core will not steal any press from the Wii, and a 400ISH elite looks overpriced compared to a 499 PS3.

Except that the PS3 is still overpriced, and isn't selling like a $300-350 console.

tak

The thing I'm curious (as someone who already owns a 360) is how a price drop will affect the price of the HDs, specifically the larger one.

rs7k

Speevy said:
Stupid, stupid move.

Halo 3 is going to send 360s flying off the shelves regardless.

All they did here is weakened the impact for the inevitable drop to $299.

$50 price drops don't work when they bring the machine to the midpoint between two hundred dollar amounts.

$50 isn't as much of a cut when you consider its potential. 360 softwares has the best tie-in ratio ever, and if Microsoft wants to get most of the older Xbox userbase and use the momentum to fight the Wii later in the race.

They want headlines to talk about the price drop, and essentially extinguish the hardware problems (because they most likely will have the Falcon when the current stock sells out) and carry that momentum with Halo 3, which will once again sets records.

Odysseus

Banned
one thing this will certainly do is send a message to the market to stop waiting for a price drop, so that will help matters. it's doubtless that pockets of consumers were getting antsy about buying a 360, figuring it was way past time for the price to drop and they didn't want to get stuck holding the bag, so to speak. so even at $50, it relieves the "will they or won't they" and "buy it now or wait" questions.

did the thread starter ever give the date of this circular?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Speevy said:
I'll make a prediction right now.

This won't give the 360 more than 20K in sales in the August NPD.

Oh come on, no bold bets like you betting a ban that PS3 won't hit 200k in the July NPD?

dangrib

surely this will boost sales to a decent enough level to counter the ps3 "price drop" for the next few NPDs? will the $250 core be a viable option rather than stay a tard pack or will the premium still be the main SKU sales wise? i think maybe the next $50 price drop will bring the tard pack to life at $199

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Shalashaska said:
I don't really understand this, why wouldn't they drop the price after Halo 3 comes out? Seems to me they're leaving a lot of money on the table by doing this.
I find it hard to believe that people who enjoy Halo wouldn't want to try out Gears, GRAW, and Rainbow 6: Vegas. It's not like the shooter genre has been stagnating and gamers are waiting for Halo 3 to save them from the drought.

Mrbob

Speevy said:
Except that the PS3 is still overpriced, and isn't selling like a $300-350 console.

PS3 isn't overpriced. It is expensive compared to the 299 mentality mindset. There is a difference. ;)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
dangrib said:
surely this will boost sales to a decent enough level to counter the ps3 "price drop" for the next few NPDs? will the $250 core be a viable option rather than stay a tard pack or will the premium still be the main SKU sales wise? i think maybe the next $50 price drop will bring the tard pack to life at $199

not for july.

GhaleonEB

Odysseus said:
one thing this will certainly do is send a message to the market to stop waiting for a price drop, so that will help matters. it's doubtless that pockets of consumers were getting antsy about buying a 360, figuring it was way past time for the price to drop and they didn't want to get stuck holding the bag, so to speak. so even at $50, it relieves the "will they or won't they" and "buy it now or wait" questions.
Funny you should mention that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175069

Demand is high for a price drop - in the past four weeks, the top search term with the words “price drop” was “xbox 360 price drop”. There were 70% more US searches for “xbox 360 price drop” than for “ps3 price drop”.

So what is driving the increase in searches for Xbox 360? It appears to be a combination of hype for new games, rumours of a price drop and no doubt some queries about the recent problems.
It will have an impact. I really have no clue how much, though.

Speevy

Banned
Mrbob said:
PS3 isn't overpriced. It is expensive compared to the 299 mentality mindset. There is a difference. ;)

Well I still hold that mindset, and actually adjusted it due to the stupid precedent MS set with their $400 console.

Mrbob said:

And we don't understand discipline. Blah blah blah.

Sony Fanboys just need to give it up. THe PS3 is overpriced for the console market. Plain and simple.

(And in all fairness the 360 is slightly overpriced for the console market too.)

MercuryLS

Banned
Odysseus said:

That's a good point.

rs7k

Speevy said:
Laugh as PS3 sales increase to about 150K in July while 360 sales are barely over 200K in August?

Watch.

I can see the 360's sales go to 400,000 in September when Halo 3 hits.

tokkun

People who pick up a new console usually buy a couple games right away. An August price drop could boost sales for Blue Dragon and Bioshock. When they finish those games, they'll be ready to grab Halo 3 in September.

GhaleonEB said:
It may be that Wal-Mart only allocated space to advertise the cut on that SKU, not all three. (Do they even carry the Elite?)

Still, it doesn't make sense to drop the price on only one SKU. They've got to shuffle up more than just that.
yes they do carry the Elite. I saw the Elite and pro systems tonight at Wal-Mart but they had no core systems.

Mrbob

crazyscreenwriter said:
And we don't understand discipline. Blah blah blah.

Sony Fanboys just need to give it up. THe PS3 is overpriced for the console market. Plain and simple.

(And in all fairness the 360 is slightly overpriced for the console market too.)

Riiighhht.

You got me pegged on the wrong defense force.

Odysseus said:

This is precisely why I think this will be a huge motivator. There certainly has to be a lot of pent-up desire for many people to Jump In, but 20ish months on the market with no drop felt a little stale.

reilo said:
A little TOO optimistic, aren't we?

Don't underestimate Halo. There are a lot of casual Halo fans who still own Xbox 1s as their primary system.

Sypher

Banned
I dont think this a good idea, because it makes the PS3 look more expensive and the Wii look more like a 360, which in turn means people wont buy wiis because they will think they will break.

Odysseus

Banned
sypher said:
I dont think this a good idea, because it makes the PS3 look more expensive and the Wii look more like a 360, which in turn means people wont buy wiis because they will think they will break.

allow me to channel jeff bell by saying

?

MechDX

sypher said:

Now THATS logic.

sypher said:

Your logic is truly impregnable.

Speevy

Banned
sypher said:

:lol

NinSoX

Banned
sypher said:

Oh man that was so hilarious. Stick to the butt jokes

rs7k

reilo said:
A little TOO optimistic, aren't we?

It would be a one-time spike. I'm not saying the 360 will sell in PS2 levels right after, bar the holidays. There's a lot of Halo fans on the old Xbox just waiting to jump in for Halo 3, with a price cut which will push people.

If I had said over 350K would you have believed me. Does anyone want to take that bet for a three-week ban?

tak

RiskyChris said:
Don't underestimate Halo. There are a lot of casual Halo fans who still own Xbox 1s as their primary system.
This is true. I know a lot of people at my college that are waiting to buy a 360 until the next Halo comes out, it's like no other game exists to this people when I talk to them.

The difference between $50 and $100 is not that much. $50 may get you a bbbj, but $100 gets you greek pleasure and meh both are as good to me

Xekrn

Banned
sypher said:
OK shut up everyone, TEH WINNER is here.

Wow, a 12.5% price drop. What a kick in the nuts to all the people who've been waiting months for the 360 to become more affordable.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
SapientWolf said:
I find it hard to believe that people who enjoy Halo wouldn't want to try out Gears, GRAW, and Rainbow 6: Vegas. It's not like the shooter genre has been stagnating and gamers are waiting for Halo 3 to save them from the drought.
They would. But -after- they buy their system for Halo.
I would expect to see a small spike in sales of previous year best sellers once user base expands. Same is true for PS3. Once people buy their PS3 for MGS4 and FF12, we should see a sale surge for Resistance and other AAA PS3 titles.

PS360

Banned
Speevy said:

Sony wishes.

By the way, how much will the baby-shit Halo 3 xbox 360 go for? Anyone know?

Top Bottom