• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

GavinGT

Banned
Emiru said:
more than 4 million h3 sales, no more than 1.5 million console sales, if that much.

Oh, so just 1.5 million units in September? That's a shitload, especially considering that GTA IV will sell nearly as much and sell almost as many 360 consoles in October. And that still leaves the crucial November/December months where consoles will fly off the shelves no matter what.

WarLox said:
this price drop will look alot better when Sony ships its $599 SKU... :lol

Exactly, the Premium will be nearly half the price of the single-SKU PS3.

Emiru

Banned
jordan0386 said:
no concrete evidence, that I know of, for either of these opinions...but they are just that

also...PS2, no HDD...basically 40m/40m/40m across three regions...Im sure MS can work something out
Go to any gamestop, eb games, best buy, walmart, whatever ask them which skew sells the most, as a matter of fact ask them which skew gets more shipments, internal numbers for the shipments before the elite launched were 80/20. Comparing the core to a ps2 is just stupid, because as everyone knows a 360 without a hdd is pretty much useless, cant use live, cant download demos, cant download games, sure you could get a memory card, but if you have a few saves, a live arcade game and a live profile on their the thing is filled up.

Emiru

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:
Good move by MS. But they don't deserve the increased sales until they can fix the breakdowns issues.

Maybe they have? Dunno.
The new 65nm chips are going to be in which means less heat less electricity, a smaller board, and hopefully a smaller powerbrick.

Emiru said:
Go to any gamestop, eb games, best buy, walmart, whatever ask them which skew sells the most, as a matter of fact ask them which skew gets more shipments, internal numbers for the shipments before the elite launched were 80/20. Comparing the core to a ps2 is just stupid, because as everyone knows a 360 without a hdd is pretty much useless, cant use live, cant download demos, cant download games, sure you could get a memory card, but if you have a few saves, a live arcade game and a live profile on their the thing is filled up.

never forget, thats all Im saying...but my argument is FUD until the core is $199

Emiru said:
Casuals cant afford 350 dollars, and dont even try to mention the core, because barely anyone buys them, MS knows this, thats why most of the 360s sold are premiums, and when some one gets a core they usually buy a hdd along with it.

This is just... deplorable.

I don't know where to begin.

soco

Emiru said:
Comparing the core to a ps2 is just stupid, because as everyone knows a 360 without a hdd is pretty much useless, cant use live, cant download demos, cant download games, sure you could get a memory card, but if you have a few saves, a live arcade game and a live profile on their the thing is filled up.

how is it stupid exactly? you couldn't do a lot of those things on a ps2 without a memory card. you're also aware there are 512MB mem cards now, no?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Emiru said:
more than 4 million h3 sales, no more than 1.5 million console sales, if that much.
1.5 m consoles for September is -way- too overoptimistic. I don't think anybody will challenge you that they will move more. But they will argue 350k qualifies as a system seller.

Slavik81

jordan0386 said:
no concrete evidence, that I know of, for either of these opinions...but they are just that
The NPD did come out with average prices for the 360s sold (before the Elite came out). Since it included both Premium and Core, you could get a decent estimate of the ratio of core-to-premiums sold. I'd give you numbers, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

Emiru

Banned
soco said:
how is it stupid exactly? you couldn't do a lot of those things on a ps2 without a memory card. you're also aware there are 512MB mem cards now, no?
Live is a big part of 360, if you arent using it in someway you might as well not buy a 360 at all. With the 512 mb card the price goes up to 300 dollars, you get a few more live arcade games and a few more saves. For 50 extra bucks you could of gotten 12.5 more gigs of space and a wireless controller.The core is called the tard pack for a reason.

Emiru said:

Wait what.

You think there will only be 1.5 M consoles sold when? September? The whole holidays (Sept-Dec)?

MercuryLS

Banned
Emiru said:
Live is a big part of 360, if you arent using it in someway you might as well not buy a 360 at all. With the 512 mb card the price goes up to 300 dollars, you get a few more live arcade games and a few more saves. For 50 extra bucks you could of gotten 12.5 more gigs of space and a wireless controller.The core is called the tard pack for a reason.

That's the dumbest thing I've read all week. There are a ton of gamers that don't go online or even care about it, that's what the Core is for. The Core needs an overhaul, but it's the best tool MS has in the long run when it comes to getting X360's into as many homes as possible.

Emiru

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Wait what.

You think there will only be 1.5 M consoles sold when? September? The whole holidays (Sept-Dec)?
halo launch till the end of october. Which is better than last year, but still not that great.

Surreal

The 360 is long overdue for a price drop, but I can't help to think it would have been smarter to do it after this fall, sometime when the software isn't extremely compelling.

Emiru

Banned
MercuryLS said:
That's the dumbest thing I've read all week. There are a ton of gamers that don't go online or even care about it, that's what the Core is for. The Core needs an overhaul, but it's the best tool MS has in the long run when it comes to getting X360's into as many homes as possible.
Ton? According MS there are over 7 millon xbl users and there are only 11.6 millon shipped units, id say thats alot less than a ton. The core needs to be trashed.

soco

Emiru said:

obviously, but it's not about the deals is it? it's about people only having a limited amount to spend, that they can later upgrade. or use the saved money for the few games they might actually play. i imagine there's a lot of gamers who buy consoles and then only a handful of games throughout their lifetime, and would never need the HDD at all.

and live isn't really all that big to a majority of the users, just look at how many people haven't even connected their 360s to the internet. sure, i love it, but you can get the demos and the at least some of the arcade games without it.

Emiru said:
Ton? According MS there are over 7 millon xbl users and there are only 11.6 millon shipped units, id say thats alot less than a ton. The core needs to be trashed.

Yeah who needs those extra 3 million console sales anyway. Not MS!

Hint: Early xbox adopters will be much more likely to require online than later ones.

FightyF

Banned
The way I look at things at this point is horribly simplified, and somewhat crazy...but crazy enough that it just might be true...

-Price drop of $50 will do very little for MS. People weren't waiting all this time for a $50 price drop. $50 drop after 2 years is pretty sad, actually. If they haven't bought one now, a $50 won't entice them. $100 price drop is going to turn heads. $50 just gets people looking and considering.

-What may entice gamers are games like Madden, GTA IV, Halo 3, and Mass Effect. But can MS market these games? No. MS sucks at marketing, plain and simple. They had the best holiday line-up in gaming history at E3, and it was pretty much a snore-fest presentation.

-Bundles are going to be offered, and they aren't gonna work. In Canada they had some killer bundles last holiday season. Absolutely killer bundles. Absolutely. Killer. Bundles. Premium 360 with GRAW, Gears, and Kameo for $499 Cdn (which was the base cost of the console...in other words, in the US it would have been $399 for all of that). Didn't move that many consoles though, from what I hear (don't have hard sales numbers).

It's funny, last generation MS slit their wrists to get people to buy their console. They knew that getting more consoles in homes would mean a lot of game sales and it would be enticing to 3rd parties and so on and so forth.

This time, MS is so extremely conservative, they're afraid to take any risk. They have an opportunity to remain competitive here (because I think after this Fall the PS3 will sell like crazy leaving the 360 in the dust, at a distant 3rd place this generation).

If they dropped it by $100, you aren't just sending a message to consumers, but the industry. 3rd parties will notice. A big reason why the DS is selling is because it hit a mass market price right away. It does have it's own merits, but it quickly became an affordable machine. The 360, with it's $50 price drop, is still pricey for most people.

Even if each console game with a free year of Live, it's not going to do much...people look at the base unit price.

I understand that one issue is that by reducing the price by $100, the Core pack at $199 makes the 360 seem like a last gen console when comparing prices, it may undervalue the console. If that's the case, just get rid of the Core pack.

Raist

Banned
"bubububu we don't need to cut the price, watch out for our plan"

Seriously tho, is it confirmed or just a store playing with the price ?

FightyF said:
-What may entice gamers are games like Madden, GTA IV, Halo 3, and Mass Effect. But can MS market these games? No. MS sucks at marketing, plain and simple. They had the best holiday line-up in gaming history at E3, and it was pretty much a snore-fest presentation.

That's one example of bad marketing, while they have a rather gigantic example of good marketing, and it's a much more signicant one than an e3 presentation that only hardcore gamers will remember in the long run.

A wee upstart IP by the name of Gears Of War.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i was thinking about buying a new 360 from toys r us a couple days ago and the guy there said that if I bought one that day I would get a 50 voucher for a later purchase.. and I asked why and he said just wait and see... i guess this was why..

Emiru

Banned
FightyF said:
The way I look at things at this point is horribly simplified, and somewhat crazy...but crazy enough that it just might be true...

-Price drop of $50 will do very little for MS. People weren't waiting all this time for a $50 price drop. $50 drop after 2 years is pretty sad, actually. If they haven't bought one now, a $50 won't entice them. $100 price drop is going to turn heads. $50 just gets people looking and considering.

-Bundles are going to be offered, and they aren't gonna work. In Canada they had some killer bundles last holiday season. Absolutely killer bundles. Absolutely. Killer. Bundles. Premium 360 with GRAW, Gears, and Kameo for $499 Cdn (which was the base cost of the console...in other words, in the US it would have been $399 for all of that). Didn't move that many consoles though, from what I hear (don't have hard sales numbers).

It's funny, last generation MS slit their wrists to get people to buy their console. They knew that getting more consoles in homes would mean a lot of game sales and it would be enticing to 3rd parties and so on and so forth.

If they dropped it by $100, you aren't just sending a message to consumers, but the industry. 3rd parties will notice. A big reason why the DS is selling is because it hit a mass market price right away. It does have it's own merits, but it quickly became an affordable machine. The 360, with it's $50 price drop, is still pricey for most people.

Even if each console game with a free year of Live, it's not going to do much...people look at the base unit price.

I understand that one issue is that by reducing the price by $100, the Core pack at $199 makes the 360 seem like a last gen console when comparing prices, it may undervalue the console. If that's the case, just get rid of the Core pack.
This guy knows what he is talking about. What MS needs to do, but wont is to cancel the core, mark the premium down to 250-275, make the elite 350-375. With those prices not only would they be selling alot of systems, but alot of games with those systems, and thats where ms makes all of their money, software.

Tobor

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's one example of bad marketing, while they have a rather gigantic example of good marketing, and it's a much more signicant one than an e3 presentation that only hardcore gamers will remember in the long run.

A wee upstart IP by the name of Gears Of War.

The Mad World commercial was amazing. Second only to the "Wii would like to Play" ads last year.

Why in the hell am I up and on GAF at 4:30 in the morning? I'm hitting the sack.

FightyF said:

This time, MS is so extremely conservative, they're afraid to take any risk. They have an opportunity to remain competitive here (because I think after this Fall the PS3 will sell like crazy leaving the 360 in the dust, at a distant 3rd place this generation).

$200PS3 price cut in January '08 confirmed by FightyF? :O

Emiru said:
This guy knows what he is talking about. What MS needs to do, but wont is to cancel the core, mark the premium down to 250-275, make the elite 350-375. With those prices not only would they be selling alot of systems, but alot of games with those systems, and thats where ms makes all of their money, software.

Are you mad? :lol

With those prices, not only would they be selling a lot of systems, but they would be giving up an astronomical amount of possible $$ from sales at higher prices.

I understand you hate the core, so do I. Don't let your hatred become an agenda. Getting rid of the core will do nothing to stop the fact that games in general can't take advantage of the HDD -- the damage has been done.

I've heard rumours of a second $50 price drop between September and December. They make more money on every 360 they sell for Halo 3 and then drop the price to clean up at Xmas.

It's only a rumour, but I don't like the sound of it, I knew MS was going to get greedy and hold off dropping the price by a significant amount.

Emiru said:

But they're already selling an enormous amount of software. I think everyone wants MS to climb to the top of the steel cage and do an elbow drop when they still believe a figure four can get them the win by submission. It's not as flashy, but it still wins matches.

Emiru

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
I've heard rumours of a second $50 price drop between September and December. They make more money on every 360 they sell for Halo 3 and then drop the price to clean up at Xmas.

It's only a rumour, but I don't like the sound of it, I knew MS was going to get greedy and hold off dropping the price by a significant amount.
I doubt its true, but it would be a good idea, since the 65nm cpus are supposed to be on shelves by september they could get another 50 dollar drop in there and the sales would rocket.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Shane Kim ( I know) has been talking double bump as far as September and November, maybe hardware has something to do with this as well.

Emiru

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Are you mad? :lol

With those prices, not only would they be selling a lot of systems, but they would be giving up an astronomical amount of possible $$ from sales at higher prices.

I understand you hate the core, so do I. Don't let your hatred become an agenda. Getting rid of the core will do nothing to stop the fact that games in general can't take advantage of the HDD -- the damage has been done.

MS knows that they arent going to make that much off of hardware, they are planning to make money off of software, MS originally planned on using H3 to get xbox division into the black. And I hate the core because its a ripoff, not because games cant take advantage of the hard drive(which is not true, oblivion used the hdd for cache, when the hdd was out the load times were longer).

Agent Icebeezy said:
Shane Kim ( I know) has been talking double bump as far as September and November, maybe hardware has something to do with this as well.

You would maximize your profits and sales I would think with this strategy. You'll get momentum in August (first price drop)... then big bump in Sepetember (Halo 3)... then big bump in October (GTA4)... and then big bump in November ($50 price cut right in time for black friday)...

Would be nice to see 100 but with the lineup they have 50 is absolutely fine.

All these games coming out was going to get people to buy the console anyway, those titles plus a $50 drop will be a very nice combination.

With MS' intention of the devision becoming profitable it makes perfect sense.

Oh an can we stop all this bullshit with the Core? Last time I checked it plays the same damn games the Pro does, which makes it totally viable.

I bought a core, then got a used HD for $50 bucks.

Subarushian said:
Would be nice to see 100 but with the lineup they have 50 is absolutely fine.

All these games coming out was going to get people to buy the console anyway, those titles plus a $50 drop will be a very nice combination.

With MS' intention of the devision becoming profitable it makes perfect sense.

Oh an can we stop all this bullshit with the Core? Last time I checked it plays the same damn games the Pro does, which makes it totally viable.

And as long as there are emerging game markets, there will always be the core somewhere, and as long as there is always a core somewhere, they can't just drop the price of the premium down to the core's price and hope no one will notice.

Subarushian said:

2.jpg

haha what a retard... hey look everybody... look... this guys a big fat retard.

:p

Jel0man

Subarushian said:

I agree, this fall is just amazing when you look at all the titles coming out, so that will sure move a lot of consoles. And the $50 new consumers will save, they can spend on an extra game or whatever.

FightyF

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
$200PS3 price cut in January '08 confirmed by FightyF? :O

At the current prices (with the recent PS3 price drop), the PS3 is the better value with its BluRay Drive and free online gaming. A $50 price drop doesn't change that. A $100 would.

Sony knows how to market its titles, and games like Gran Turismo 5 SHOULD get a lot of hype. I really hope Sony goes all the way with GT5. Sony also has a larger and wider variety of 1st party IPs that they can run with from this point on forward. A lot of fanboys won't admit this, but this last year for the PS3 was pretty stale. Heck, the Gamecube never had a worse year in terms of games. But with all of the new 1st party titles coming out from now until Dec '08, people are gonna pick up the PS3 for games they own and loved on the PS2. Ratchet, Wipeout, SOCOM, GT5, just to name a few. These games will move consoles. Sure, MS has Halo, and that may move consoles...and Mass Effect will probably move consoles as well...but beyond that, what does MS have for '08?

I'm the same guy who said back in 2005 that the 360 would be leading the PS3, and that's why developers should make games on it first and then port it over. Amir0x and I had a massive argument about this, and people laughed at me. But I knew that I was right, and time has vindicated me so far. But after the whole faulty manufacturing process fiasco and the resulting reluctance to drop the price in a typical manner (2 years with no price drop, and now when it comes time for one, a paltry $50). I have to re-adjust my forecast.

MS was doing great until they mismanaged the hardware issues, and now it may cost them the race (as it probably affected their price drop plans). Remember, it's a long term race for the lead. The Genesis stayed number 1 for a while due to a second surge in sales that increased their marketshare. If they just sat back with their early launch and didn't get aggressive when the SNES posed a threat, they could have lost the lead very early, and there wouldn't have been much of a race.

Which would have been bad for all of us.

Anyways, I hope consumers gravitate towards the PS3 because of the simple and understandable 2 SKU system that involves pretty much the same hardware across all SKUs, with only one variation (compared to the 360's 3 SKUs that are widely varied, one with no HDD, one with a 20Gb, and one with HDMI capabilities and bigger HDD). I just hope Sony wakes up and includes a cheap USB headset for the PS3. With Home on the horizon, I think it's important.

FightyF said:
At the current prices (with the recent PS3 price drop), the PS3 is the better value with its BluRay Drive and free online gaming. A $50 price drop doesn't change that. A $100 would.

*shakes fist*

Value is in the eye of the beholder!

FightyF said:

Sony knows how to market its titles, and games like Gran Turismo 5 SHOULD get a lot of hype. I really hope Sony goes all the way with GT5. Sony also has a larger and wider variety of 1st party IPs that they can run with from this point on forward. A lot of fanboys won't admit this, but this last year for the PS3 was pretty stale. Heck, the Gamecube never had a worse year in terms of games. But with all of the new 1st party titles coming out from now until Dec '08, people are gonna pick up the PS3 for games they own and loved on the PS2. Ratchet, Wipeout, SOCOM, GT5, just to name a few. These games will move consoles. Sure, MS has Halo, and that may move consoles...and Mass Effect will probably move consoles as well...but beyond that, what does MS have for '08?

I'm the same guy who said back in 2005 that the 360 would be leading the PS3, and that's why developers should make games on it first and then port it over. Amir0x and I had a massive argument about this, and people laughed at me. But I knew that I was right, and time has vindicated me so far. But after the whole faulty manufacturing process fiasco and the resulting reluctance to drop the price in a typical manner (2 years with no price drop, and now when it comes time for one, a paltry $50). I have to re-adjust my forecast.

MS was doing great until they mismanaged the hardware issues, and now it may cost them the race (as it probably affected their price drop plans). Remember, it's a long term race for the lead. The Genesis stayed number 1 for a while due to a second surge in sales that increased their marketshare. If they just sat back with their early launch and didn't get aggressive when the SNES posed a threat, they could have lost the lead very early, and there wouldn't have been much of a race.

Which would have been bad for all of us.

Anyways, I hope consumers gravitate towards the PS3 because of the simple and understandable 2 SKU system that involves pretty much the same hardware across all SKUs, with only one variation (compared to the 360's 3 SKUs that are widely varied, one with no HDD, one with a 20Gb, and one with HDMI capabilities and bigger HDD). I just hope Sony wakes up and includes a cheap USB headset for the PS3. With Home on the horizon, I think it's important.

The PS3 has been the better value, considering all market factors, technically, the entire time it's been on the shelves. I'm not really sure that at this price point it's in the realm of ever being considered a "value" by the average consumer. We'll see, though.

I just don't think Microsoft is willing to sell a SKU cheaper than the Wii at this point.

Top Bottom