• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 + Forza code = $399 @ Amazon

Duxxy3

What code?

And as a PS4 and PC guy...there's nothing for me to justify getting...when is the next XB1 exclusive?

As a PS4 and PC guy, I am very tempted by this. If I had the money, it would be ordered.

Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Ryse (rental) and Titanfall (on sale) make for a good line up. Also have Quantum Break and Halo 2 in the fall.

I wouldn't buy multiplatform games for it, but even I have to say that it's a good exclusive lineup.

RyudBoy

The next best deal will probably be something like $399 + 2 games. Don't expect the price to go any lower than that.

It's almost as if MS wants to overtake PS4 life time in NA in one fell swoop. They're really not that far behind there. March NPD will be interesting as hell.

February NPD:

PS4 - 269K
XBO - 258K
WIU - 82K

Lifetime NPD rankings:

1. PS4 Lifetime NPD sales = 2.54 million
2. Wii U Lifetime NPD sales = 2.23 million
3. Xbox One Lifetime NPD sales = 2.22 million

I have no doubt Wii U will drop to third place in March...

But Microsoft would have to sell at least ~320K more than Sony in March NPD to surpass the PS4...and I'm really not sure that we'll see that big of a discrepancy in March, even with Titanfall / all of these discounts, because of the launch of Infamous and the focus on stock priority for March.

MS never appeared to do the big sell at the $499 price point. Remember when everyone last year was telling us consumers don't want just a games console? I never saw a big push from MS to promote that, instead within a few months they're dropping the price in their strongest territory.

shwimpy

decent price but i just can't justify having two current gen consoles (3 including wiiu). especially since the only exclusive i really want is remedy's game. i'll wait till e3 to reconsider.

edit - back to $499? mistake?

RyudBoy

The fact that I'm still posting in this thread should tell you how much I regret buying day one back in November. lol

Metfanant

what is taken away by xbox live gold?

Since ima not interested in a xbox one for its games rather its media functions.

if you want it for the media functions XBL Gold is basically a requirement...outside of games and blu-ray movies...just about EVERYTHING else is behind the paywall...

~~Hasan~~

decent price but i just can't justify having two current gen consoles (3 including wiiu). especially since the only exclusive i really want is remedy's game. i'll wait till e3 to reconsider.

edit - back to $499? mistake?

yes. the price is fixed to 450$. it seems it was an error and MS isn't willing to sacrifice that much to catch with the PS4 sales lol

what is taken away by xbox live gold?

Since ima not interested in a xbox one for its games rather its media functions.

I don't see any value in getting an XB1 for its media capabilities unless you were willing to buy gold for however long you were planning on using it for its media capabilities

Apps [netflix etc.], Internet browser, TV guide is all behind the paywall

MaulerX

February NPD:

PS4 - 269K
XBO - 258K
WIU - 82K

Lifetime NPD rankings:

1. PS4 Lifetime NPD sales = 2.54 million
2. Wii U Lifetime NPD sales = 2.23 million
3. Xbox One Lifetime NPD sales = 2.22 million

I have no doubt Wii U will drop to third place in March...

But Microsoft would have to sell at least ~310K more than Sony in March NPD to surpass the PS4...and I'm really not sure that we'll see that big of a discrepancy in March, even with Titanfall / all of these discounts, because of the launch of Infamous and the focus on stock priority for March.

That's actually a nice summary. Pretty close actually. Makes you wonder:

A. Where would sales be if Sony had more PS4's in stock?

B. Where would sales be if XB1 had launched at $399?

DoctorZ

Still cannot justify the purchase. Actually added it to my cart to see if it was legit, was surpised it worked at $400, but couldn't pull the trigger. Just not enough games I want to play. I'd rather spend $300 and get a new GPU and extra HDD.

Kinect Sports Rivals, DUH.

Well, if you haven't sold your Kinect.

The next RARE game! yaaaaay

*yet another reminder of what Rare is sets in*

._.

As a PS4 and PC guy, I am very tempted by this. If I had the money, it would be ordered.

Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Ryse (rental) and Titanfall (on sale) make for a good line up. Also have Quantum Break and Halo 2 in the fall.

I wouldn't buy multiplatform games for it, but even I have to say that it's a good exclusive lineup.

Not me. I'd play Forza a bit then put it down in a flash because I get tired of sim racers, and most of them don't feel much different, so if I needed one I could get on PC or just wait for Drive Club. I tried Ryse at a friend's (meh). I have Titanfall on PC.

Is QB in the Fall? That game...could be good.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Very interesting questions but they way things have played out I think benefit MS.

I'm surprised how well this $500 console has sold. Given the negative views on Kinect and less power. When it becomes concrete $399, $350 it will keep momentum.

Speaking of the U.S market of course.

DOWN

Banned
That actually seems smart of Microsoft. Take a bigger loss than they already were taking on each system, but get your user base much larger for the long run and for the sake of not having to be so far behind PS4. It would make their marketing and software sales future a lot brighter if they could just sort of shove a ton into the market fast at a loss here and there.

That actually seems smart of Microsoft. Take a bigger loss than they already were taking on each system, but get your user base much larger for the long run and for the sake of not having to be so far behind PS4. It would make their marketing and software sales future a lot brighter if they could just sort of shove a ton into the market fast at a loss here and there.
Like...PS3?

Take a look at the growing discrepancy between PS4 and XB1 USA sales:

LTD as of November 2013:

1) Wii U - 1.62 million (+0.48 million from PS4, +0.71 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 1.14 million (+0.23 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 0.91 million

LTD as of December 2013:

1) Wii U - 2.10 million (+0.10 million from PS4, +0.28 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 2.00 million (+0.18 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.82 million

LTD as of January 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.27 million (+0.12 million from Wii U, +0.31 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.15 million (+0.19 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.96 million

LTD as of February 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.54 million (+0.31 million from Wii U, +0.32 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.23 million (+0.01 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 2.22 million

There's a quantifiable 0.2-0.3 million gap that was wedged between PS4 and Xbox One sales from the outset. I firmly believe this is due to the PS4's $100 cost savings and the perceptions about its power. All of that negative PR didn't help much either.

Personally I believe Xbox One had the better launch lineup, and the Xbox brand is much stronger in the USA (for comparison, 360 has sold 41.2 million units in the USA while PS3 has only managed 25.7 million).

Once Microsoft corrects the price down to $400 with no game...vendors are already flirting with the $400 price in various ways...I think we'll see some interesting things happen in terms of marketshare.

DOWN

Banned
Like...PS3?

Except PS3 was way more obvious because they were a year late and far over their competitors. The one people wanted was $599 with no games bundled. Their SKU changes were a must because they were just plain off the mark.

Clearly it's different in this case when Microsoft hasn't done an official price drop and isn't technically behind, but are quick to try bundles and promos in North America.

I'm not saying taking a loss is a new idea, as both systems are sold at a loss currently. I'm saying that Microsoft handling their losses in bursts this early seems like it could pay off.

Personally I believe Xbox One had the better launch lineup, and the Xbox brand is much stronger in the USA (for comparison, 360 has sold 41.2 million units in the USA while PS3 has only managed 25.7 million).

This is crazy!!

There must be some people within MS (naming no names) that would have said "there's no way we are giving up our 30% lead to Sony next gen!"

DOWN

Banned
This is crazy!!

There must be some people within MS (naming no names) that would have said "there's no way we are giving up our 30% lead to Sony next gen!"

Microsoft screwed themselves on marketing (I didn't mind it, really, as they were trying to adjust for digital-only by giving ways to let people move a digital copy around as there is no good way to do that right now without you being the one playing it). And they feel the need to at least see Kinect through one universal system cycle where devs have the incentive of every player owning one to make innovations for it (they learned the hard way that devs didn't like Xbox's having removable hard drives since it fragmented the player base).

MavFan619

Banned

If I weren't broke I can't lie also as a PS4 guy I am missing out on some KI and Quantum Break. Seeing as I can't afford it though still best I wait till the price is $300 however long that takes.

bluehat9

Guess I missed it? I would have bought at that price combined with my amazon credit.

That's what I get for sleeping. :|

Fox Mulder

Price drop incoming?

has to be. No way they can go back to $499 with nothing after bundles and retailer drops.

just getting rid of the price gap will make the rest of its flaws matter less.

$399 with a game is a great deal, would love if that's the regular price.

JaggedSac

You could probably get $25 for the Forza code. Then get $75 if you sell the Kinect unit.

So it's more like a Kinect-free Xbox One for $299. Which is a pretty good deal IMO.

On this note, I will buy a $25 Forza code from someone if they have one.

TS-08

has to be. No way they can go back to $499 with nothing after bundles and retailer drops.

just getting rid of the price gap will make the rest of its flaws matter less.

$399 with a game is a great deal, would love if that's the regular price.

Going back to 499, even with the Standard Edition being bundled with Forza, would be a huge mistake. There have been way too many deals, discounts, and "pricing errors" at this point. Anyone who didn't bite on the console this month will simply wait until a permanent cut is made. Will be interesting to see what MS does.

Top Bottom