• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 + Forza code = $399 @ Amazon

really-low-limbo-futurama-irl_o_790815.gif

#dead

Xone9

Banned
how does two systems work in the house as far as ownership of digital games?
I wouldn't mind putting this other XB1 in my man room...

I was tempted for a quick second, but then I own a PC and a PS4. Last gen it was 360 and PC and it a long while before I could justify a PS3.

I think is going to be harder to justify an XBO.

shandy706

I love how this pops up in every topic.

1. Retailer sale does not = price drop.
2. Early adopters.

People don't pay attention or have a clue most of the time. They're prepping themselves in case Microsoft does outsell Sony in March. I'm not even sure they will...but it's possible.

They'll be ready with their "Price drops worked!"..."Desperate Microsoft with their fake March win and $400 lol desperation" and so on.

It's obvious this was probably a mistake. I don't think they want to hit the $400 mark with a free game on purpose yet. Maybe $400 by the end of the year with no game...but a free game and $400 is an accident in this case.

Great for those that benefit though!'

I've never understood crying early adopters. Heck, I paid over $400 for a Vita, memory card, and The Show when it came out....don't regret it at all. That's what one should expect when buying hardware early. Prices drop...and in this case, a mistake can make it drop even more.

JeffG

how does two systems work in the house as far as ownership of digital games?
I wouldn't mind putting this other XB1 in my man room...

My son in law has an Xbone and I have mine. I am set his X1 my home Xbone and he sets mine to be his home x1.

I buy the games digitally and we can both run them (even at the same time)

Seanspeed

Banned
still lesser value than competition.
That's a subjective judgement each person needs to make on their own.

Before I decided to go PC, I was mostly decided on the PS4, largely due to price. If I would have had the option of the Xbox with Forza(a series I love) for the same price, it definitely would have been a very hard decision.

Krakn3Dfx

Even tho I beat it already before I sent back my XB1, if I could pick up an XB1 + Dead Rising 3 for $400, I would probably do that, wouldn't say no to playing that game again. The only game on the One out right now that I had a genuine interest in and enjoyed, likely until Quantum Break ships.

Caayn

I've never understood crying early adopters. Heck, I paid over $400 for a Vita, memory card, and The Show when it came out....don't regret it at all. That's what one should expect when buying hardware early. Prices drop...and in this case, a mistake can make it drop even more.
Looking at these kind of topics I'm highly doubting that the majority of the group who's crying are actual early adopters.

I'm with you, as an early adopter you know that you get the worst value for your money. That's the choose you make as an early adopter.

jaypah

See, you mention kinect like it's so etching of a value people want, that's what MS failed to grasp also

Some people like Kinect. Let me rephrase that. I like Kinect, so it'd be value for me. I also bought the last Kinect and all of the PS cameras including the current one.

Pretty nice deal for those who want it but I think I still have to wait. My PS4 has been collecting dust except for second son recently so I think I should wait since this would probably do the same if not worse. Surprising it made it this now though.

aparisi2274

hmmm, shame the code no longer works... I guess its because the regular XB1 is now being sold by Mango Wireless via Amazon and not Amazon directly.

:(

I'm with you, as an early adopter you know that you get the worst value for your money. That's the choose you make as an early adopter.

Of course, as an early adopter you're paying for the privilege to taste the next generation, well, early. Only a complete fool would go in unprepared for the possibility of something like an early price drop of faulty hardware.

Co-signed. You all know it's coming.

Good luck.

I still don't understand why people choose to only acknowledge the kinect as an accessory. Maybe it would be different if it were an actual, physical part of the console instead of a wired device but it's really as much a part of the hardware as say the camera or a physical keyboard is on your phone.

I honestly refuse to ever go back to a time where I can't use voice and gesture controls to control my entertainment devices. Maybe it's because I have a newborn and I always manage to sit down and bottle feed where there are no remotes nearby, but the x1 and kinect has personally been a godsend.

Not wanting to sound bias. I only have an Xbox and would love a PS4, but I genuinely think the kinect is worth the money.

aparisi2274

I still don't understand why people choose to only acknowledge the kinect as an accessory. Maybe it would be different if it were an actual, physical part of the console instead of a wired device but it's really as much a part of the hardware as say the camera or a physical keyboard is on your phone.

I honestly refuse to ever go back to a time where I can't use voice and gesture controls to control my entertainment devices. Maybe it's because I have a newborn and I always manage to sit down and bottle feed where there are no remotes nearby, but the x1 and kinect has personally been a godsend.

I think you are also what MS is looking for in an adopter of the XB1. You have this system connected in your living room, correct? You have a baby, so your hands are always in use... they want you to use voice controls...

See, for me, if and when I get an XB1, I do not plan on integrating my FiOS, nor do I really want to talk to the system to do things... I'd much rather prefer using the controller...

Not wanting to sound bias. I only have an Xbox and would love a PS4, but I genuinely think the kinect is worth the money.

thats great for you but there are some people who only care about games so I would much rather faster ram or a better gpu than a worthless kinect. Not to mention voice controls only necessitate a $2 microphone. You don't need a $100 kinect with dual cameras just for that.

I think you are also what MS is looking for in an adopter of the XB1. You have this system connected in your living room, correct? You have a baby, so your hands are always in use... they want you to use voice controls...

See, for me, if and when I get an XB1, I do not plan on integrating my FiOS, nor do I really want to talk to the system to do things... I'd much rather prefer using the controller...
I can't argue with that. The voice controls are incredibly convenient though. Everything is always accessible all at once. It's really great.

thats great for you but there are some people who only care about games so I would much rather faster ram or a better gpu than a worthless kinect. Not to mention voice controls only necessitate a $2 microphone. You don't need a $100 kinect with dual cameras just for that.
Maybe. I enjoy having a camera for skype, gestures, and twitch, but while voice controls could be done with just mic, I don't think it would ever have been so deeply integrated into the OS if every console didn't come with kinect.

cakely

Weirdly, this just makes me more certain that an even bigger price drop is coming down the pipe.

What a slippery slope.

Also, at this point there's just no way that the Xbox One won't outsell the Playstation 4 in March NPD.

I can't argue with that. The voice controls are incredibly convenient though. Everything is always accessible all at once. It's really great.

Maybe. I enjoy having a camera for skype, gestures, and twitch, but while voice controls could be done with just mic, I don't think it would ever have been so deeply integrated into the OS if every console didn't come with kinect.

I don't really understand that. It's MS's console, even if kinect adoption was only 30%, that doesn't stop MS from integrating those features. Personally, my kinect remains off until I play a MP game at which time I use it for voice chat.

Edit: I'm not saying kinect isnt great its just weird to jack up the price of your console by 25% for a feature that many don't want and when most of the functionality can be replicated with a cheap ass mic.

Great deal, but at this point, I'm going to hold out until the Holidays this year.

Right now not one exclusive I want for the xbone, and all the multi plat games are better on the PS4 so it makes no sense to get one right now

But an year or so from now when there are 4-5 must have exclusives I'll check it out, will be $350 at most by them

I don't really understand that. It's MS's console, even if kinect adoption was only 30%, that doesn't stop MS from integrating those features. Personally, my kinect remains off until I play a MP game at which time I use it for voice chat.

Edit: I'm not saying kinect isnt great its just weird to jack up the price of your console by 25% for a feature that many don't want and when most of the functionality can be replicated with a cheap ass mic.
Why wouldn't you just leave it plugged in?

N.Domixis

Banned
Take a look at the growing discrepancy between PS4 and XB1 USA sales:

LTD as of November 2013:

1) Wii U - 1.62 million (+0.48 million from PS4, +0.71 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 1.14 million (+0.23 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 0.91 million

LTD as of December 2013:

1) Wii U - 2.10 million (+0.10 million from PS4, +0.28 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 2.00 million (+0.18 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.82 million

LTD as of January 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.27 million (+0.12 million from Wii U, +0.31 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.15 million (+0.19 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.96 million

LTD as of February 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.54 million (+0.31 million from Wii U, +0.32 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.23 million (+0.01 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 2.22 million

There's a quantifiable 0.2-0.3 million gap that was wedged between PS4 and Xbox One sales from the outset. I firmly believe this is due to the PS4's $100 cost savings and the perceptions about its power. All of that negative PR didn't help much either.

Personally I believe Xbox One had the better launch lineup, and the Xbox brand is much stronger in the USA (for comparison, 360 has sold 41.2 million units in the USA while PS3 has only managed 25.7 million).

Once Microsoft corrects the price down to $400 with no game...vendors are already flirting with the $400 price in various ways...I think we'll see some interesting things happen in terms of marketshare.
You expect the xbox to dominate like it did last gen again?

Also, at this point there's just no way that the Xbox One won't outsell the Playstation 4 in March NPD.

That's probable. But I wonder what this price cut says about the demand for the two consoles. At the same price, is the XBO a more tempting console than the PS4? I guess we won't find out unless this sale sustains for a few months, and I would be surprised if it doesn't.

It'll be interesting to follow the next few months for sure. Was it just a limited amount of people who were waiting for a price cut, or does $400 bring the console back into the good graces of the masses who won MS the US market last gen?

Look on the bright side, the next deal might be even better.
The best deals so far have all been price mistakes though (I think). Unless that keeps happening it's going to be while before I jump in.
Sure, on black Friday 2015.
Is this some new meme? MS always does crazy deals for BF and this one won't be any different... unless you're just talking about the no Kinect thing.

Weirdly, this just makes me more certain that an even bigger price drop is coming down the pipe.

What a slippery slope.

Yup. I would wait for E3 if your on the fence

coldone

You expect the xbox to dominate like it did last gen again?

From what I see, the word Xbox is synonymous to console games in NA. Lot of families only had 360. So if there is no obvious price difference, most of 360 owners will stick with Xbox one. They have their friends list, gamer tag, used to the good old XBL Gold etc.

It may not have the 20M+ lead over of PS4. But may be a decent 10+M lead.

- cut down the price
- work on the 1080p/60fps issue or at-least do some thing with the devs so that it is not too obvious on every game.

Top Bottom