• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Retail Version of Battlefield 4 Will Still Run at 720p, 60 FPS, EA Rep confirms

FeiRR

Banned
To be honest the pictures aren't the greatest comparison. The JPEGs have introduced a lot of compression. I'll try taking some later with BMPs.

When playing BF3 in person though, the difference really is day and night.

I know, I play on PC too in 1080p but my friends are on PSN.

Anonumos

Banned
How is this really surprising though?

If you release a system with the memory bandwidth of lower then a 6770, and the overall capability with CU's and such of maybe a 7770. How do you expect 1080p x 60fps??? If I bought BF4 on my PC with my GPU, which is a 6770, I would expect to have to turn down a TON of EVERYTHING to get 60fps. I would have to settle for 30fps with dips going even lower and still have to tune down a lot of things.

The X1 is ... not ... powerful. Compared to the 360, yes it is powerful ... it is an upgrade. But the X1 was ORIGINALLY DESIGNED as a multimedia box. Not as a pure gaming machine. The bandwidth of this system will be the death of the system, from the get-go.

Maybe you should...I don't know...read the thread.

Also when are we going to get an updated OP or thread title to stop all the drive-by posting?

King_Moc

Banned
Oh dear. HD console gaming was supposed to have started in 2005. In 2013 we're still waiting. Maybe in 2020, eh?

720p is just a jaggy mess on a 1080p TV. Still, at least they got the 60fps bit right.

velociraptor

Don't know about "much more", but is it really capable of more for launch? I don't think DICE's talent is in question here; they're making a game on an engine which is made to run on 5 platforms. It would be hard to get much more optimised for launch, even the PS4 version.
The AMD 7770 (a 1.28TF GPU) runs BF3 1080p medium settings at 53-54 fps. You would expect low level coding to mitigate the 7-8 frames.

Green Yoshi

Disappointing. I hope that there will be more powerful consoles from other companies in 2014 or 2015. Otherwise I will buy a new PC.

Lynn616

So Xbox One will be 720p regardless but PS4 can run higher but may not in the retail version.
Dam they really should have call it the Xbox 720.
Also Xbox One holding back PS4 confirmation?

How do we know they are not dropping both versions to 720p for performance reasons? Maybe the PS4 and X1 could not handle a stable 1080p for this game.

Gueras

Banned
They should cancel both consoles and launch when they have good tech to put on a $500 box. Its weird to buy an expensive new console barely better than a eight years older one...

velociraptor

I know, I play on PC too in 1080p but my friends are on PSN.
That's the problem I have too. I want to buy BF4 for the PS4. All my friends are going to pick BF4 over COD for the first time ever. But I find it unacceptable to play a game which outputs 720p. It's simply garbage.

Serious question, have you seen Shadow Fall? Killzone Shadow Fall murks this game in terms of visual flair, and does so by running at 1080p and 60 FPS. This is all blood on DICE's hands.
Let us compare these two games
Killzone: Corridor
Battlefield: Open

Killzone: Static
Battlefield: Semi-dynamic

Killzone: 24 players
Battlefield: 64 players

Watch your mouth
, and this is my opinion.

I understand the open world nature of Battlefield 4, but they have made a ton of sacrifices and are putting in bare minimum effort on these console ports.

To give you an idea, even the Xbox One version should be running at higher than 720p in my opinion.
Your opinion is wrong.
720p is unacceptable in 2013. I will not pay a single cent for this crap.

If this is true then I hope DICE adds "Disclaimer: Game will look like a blurry mess on your TV" to each youtube trailer.
The game is 60fps! That is more than twice what the 7th gen was giving us with 20fps.

Why do people use more than a month old tweets as some sort of proof anyway. It's not like development stops suddenly months before the release. Who knows what DICE will manage to squeeze out of the consoles.

I bet that most AMD Pitcairn owners will run the PC version of this game with 1080p. But PS4? It has more RAM and higher bandwidth and no PCIe bus and unified RAM and improved GPGPU capabilities but it can only do 720p?! This moneyhatting bullshit has to be a joke...

Those people could also have intel CPUs at higher frequencies.

If bf3 is an indication: it likes a big processor for multiplayer....

Ashes

Banned
They should cancel both consoles and launch when they have good tech to put on a $500 box. Its weird to buy an expensive new console barely better than a eight years older one...

now, now, let's just put things into perspective.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
People who weren't expecting most third-party games to be kept at a similar level had their heads in the sand.

1. Publishers most likely won't want a difference so they don't damage relationships with the console makers.

2. It takes extra work by developers, which we know most likely won't happen.

3. There is a possibility of moneyhats being thrown around to keep them equal.

1. So gimping the PS4 version won't cause any friction with Sony whatsoever?

2. What extra work is there for a developer for game x to run on 1080p as opposed to 720p if the hardware can handle it?

3. Only viable reason why a dev would do this imo.

Gestault

1280 x 720 px
fVhArfY.jpg

1600 x 900 px

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So PS4 version gimped on purpose for parity? Am I reading this article correctly? If so, I guess I won't be buying EA's games this next gen.

Portugeezer

The AMD 7770 (a 1.28TF GPU) runs BF3 1080p medium settings at 53-54 fps. You would expect low level coding to mitigate the 7-8 frames.
Which is medium settings, is not BF4 (assuming BF4 requires higher specs, I haven't checked), and not a steady 60fps.

To add to that I don't expect great optimisation for launch, so it seems resolution got sacrificed for higher graphical settings and 60fps. It's not uncommon in console games as we all know.

DSN2K

interesting.

The potential gap in resolution could be entirely down to the ram usage, sign of things to come ?

velociraptor

Which is medium settings, is not BF4 (assuming BF4 requires higher specs, I haven't checked), and not a steady 60fps.

To add to that I don't expect great optimisation for launch, so it seems resolution got sacrificed for higher graphical settings and 60fps. It's not uncommon in console games as we all know.
I bet it would look better at a higher resolution and lower settings than lower resolution and higher settings.

53-54FPS isn't a million miles away from 60. Low-level coding is going to be a dealbreaker for PC games apparently; drastically improving framerates for AMD cards via Mantle. So the same logic can be applied to this.

BF4 specs are practically the same as BF3 specs. For BF3, recommended GPU was the 6950 (~7850). For BF4, it's the 7870.

It will be nice when the hardware and games finally come out so we can do proper comparisons. There's still way too much information floating around that is constantly needing clarification and updates. While this feeding frenzy within the forums is entertaining I refuse to get caught up in it. I'm still sticking to my PC until the dust settles and more importantly, when each console has a decent library to play.

pixlexic

Banned
can anyone tell me why some people insist that it's a CPU problem?

They have to off load physics and other jobs that were cpu dependent on current gen console to the gpu effectively killing its performance. On top of that they would need a lot longer of a time frame to implement those things correctly in a gpu compute pipeline.

The only way those things would not affect the gpu rendering speed is if the gpu compute functions where totally separated from the rendering pipeline. They are not working with super high end gpus here.

abadguy

Banned
Wait is PS4 also 720p. This better not be because of MS and appeasing certain parties.

Yes, M$ iz paying for the PS4 version to be "gimped". That makes PERFECT sense! Couldn't be the usual problems launch titles and better yet "cross gen" launch titles typically have. Couldn't be on Dice at all , nope M$ is PAYING for them to make the resolution of the other version lower.

Amir0x

Banned
This resolution shit for launch games is messy as hell to keep track of. Every day with the 'targeting' this and 'aiming at' that. These developers should probably not mention what they're targeting til they know what they can actually hit, because gamers are too impatient about how game development works, developers end up never hitting the loftier goals anyway, and in the end everyone usually ends up disappointed.

Brera

Banned
Why can't these fucking companies just come out and confirm that PS4 will run at 1080p/900p 60fps.

By all accounts, most of their customers will be on PS4 so why treat them like this.

Top Bottom