• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Retail Version of Battlefield 4 Will Still Run at 720p, 60 FPS, EA Rep confirms

Skeff

I didn't realize you work for DICE and understand the intricacies of console development to be able to make the judgement that they put in a bare minimum of effort.

No, more likely your just another angry console fanboy who doesn't understand the first thing about game development and so resorts to the typical "lazy devs" excuse. Pathetic.

Lol, I take it you dont know thuway is a confirmed industry insider and would actually know this....heh

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659333

We knew this a month ago apparently.

iwcKRwu.png

This isn't frostbite.. and the physics and logic where developed for cpus that run at 3.2 ghz to cpus that run at 1.6. You can not just do that with out changing a lot of things around.

You can not just move code for a cpu thread to multiple threads on a whim. you cant move it to gpu compute on a whim.

It is not just about resolution.

so you're saying that the game will run poorly on anything running below or faster than that speed? and what does it have to do with the resolution of the game? if the game is suffering from CPU like you're claiming lowering the resolution will not improve the performance.

Zeth

Watch your mouth
, and this is my opinion.

I understand the open world nature of Battlefield 4, but they have made a ton of sacrifices and are putting in bare minimum effort on these console ports.

To give you an idea, even the Xbox One version should be running at higher than 720p in my opinion.

Whoa - are you familiar with the engine or is it more of an eyeball-evaluation?

Is the PS4 version 1080P/60?

coolmast3r

But...This is NEXT GEN! Right? TEH CLAWDS!
No 1080P for us again? Okay.
Thank God I have a beefy gaming rig.
But seriously, wow. If they can't make 1080P work even with this open architecture...Damn.
PS4 + PC this gen hands down.

ekim

Who's talking about 900p?
What am I missing here?

There you go:
http://bf4central.com/2013/09/battlefield-4-playstation-4-gameplay-videos-tgs-2013/
And while we’ve heard some disappointing news about the PlayStation 4 version of Battlefield 4, we must say it looks pretty good and polished. The PS4 version reportedly runs at 900p (upscaled to 1080p) at 60 frames per second. DICE has previously said that 60 fps for next gen consoles was a “top priority”

FeiRR

Banned
To put it lightly, 720p looks like a blurry piece of shit compared to 1080p.

720p may not matter with games which have basic geometry, but when you have large maps with lots of objects, particle effects, high resolution textures and models, then you will bet your ass it will look awful.

I saved your pictures and tried a blind test, 100% accuracy telling apart each of those 3 resolutions from the viewing distance I play from. If DICE screw us because of some TV casual console from a mediocre software company which doesn't know that Europe is not a country, I'll be really mad.

Horp

"But sir, should we really make it THIS weak?"
"Yes, it worked for the Wii. Wii sold the most, and was way weaker than what we put out"
"But... 1.3TF really isn't even a moderately strong PC. Not even mid-range, sir"
"You have your orders, engineer!"

Let me preface this by saying that I don't have any intention of buying this game even if it looked identical to the PC version shown, since I am not a fan of the content, but I was hoping it would look decently stunning. 720p is not great in my estimation, even at 60 fps. I suppose it is in line with other games though, KZ for instance is 1080 30 fps. Still think that will look more impressive on consoles (actually, I think it looks nicer than the pc version as well).

The scale and scope of battlefield is so much higher than corridor stuff like killzone it's not even worth comparing the 2 directly. That's why so much processing power was needed to max bf3 out on PC at 1080p. More processing power than either console has. Yes this is a launch port, and that will reflect. But comparing a corridor shooter to a game like battlefield is never an accurate way to gauge a system as one is far more demanding than another.

? SP in BF looks far more scripted and linear than what has been shown in KZ and MP in BF doesn't look as impressive visually to me as SP. The actual rendered maps look pretty massive in KZ as well...

I don't know what's really going on but I'm of the opinion there's no smoke without fire. All the negative articles about the Xbox One's relative power compared to the PS4 and the near exclusivity with which multiplatform developers have been showing PS4 versions of titles has pretty much ensured that at least intially, all my multiplats will be PS4 versions. Where this hurts Microsoft is if I'm only getting say Ryse and Forza on my Xbox One, I'm not going to pay for XBLG. I'll pay for PS+ instead because the PS4 becomes my default console and only get a few months of XBLG for Titanfall when it releases if I really have to. If there are strong hints/leaks about a PS4 version of Titanfall I might not even bother getting that on Xbox One. I'm fairly certain a lot of people getting both consoles are thinking the same thing.

srd4484

Banned
Why do we pay so much attention to he said she said articles. Lets wait until EA releases an official statement on what the resolutions will be.

Iacobellis

720p is unacceptable in 2013. I will not pay a single cent for this crap.

If this is true then I hope DICE adds "Disclaimer: Game will look like a blurry mess on your TV" to each youtube trailer.

Yeah, because GTA V is definitely a blurry mess.

720p is unacceptable in 2013. I will not pay a single cent for this crap.

If this is true then I hope DICE adds "Disclaimer: Game will look like a blurry mess on your TV" to each youtube trailer.

All the trailers for this game will be the PC version (or even be better looking). You know, how ubisoft has been rolling since ever.

velociraptor

I saved your pictures and tried a blind test, 100% accuracy telling apart each of those 3 resolutions from the viewing distance I play from. If DICE screw us because of some TV casual console from a mediocre software company which doesn't know that Europe is not a country, I'll be really mad.
To be honest the pictures aren't the greatest comparison. The JPEGs have introduced a lot of compression. I'll try taking some later with BMPs.

When playing BF3 in person though, the difference really is day and night.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So Xbox One will be 720p regardless but PS4 can run higher but may not in the retail version.
Dam they really should have call it the Xbox 720.
Also Xbox One holding back PS4 confirmation?

StevieP

Banned
I can't think of a reason they shouldn't be able to hit 1080p on PS4.

I can think of quite a few

? SP in BF looks far more scripted and linear than what has been shown in KZ and MP in BF doesn't look as impressive visually to me as SP. The actual rendered maps look pretty massive in KZ as well...

They've only shown multiplayer console footage at these events. The scope of bf in multiplayer is on a much grander scale with many more players than killzone

How is this really surprising though?

If you release a system with the memory bandwidth of lower then a 6770, and the overall capability with CU's and such of maybe a 7770. How do you expect 1080p x 60fps??? If I bought BF4 on my PC with my GPU, which is a 6770, I would expect to have to turn down a TON of EVERYTHING to get 60fps. I would have to settle for 30fps with dips going even lower and still have to tune down a lot of things.

The X1 is ... not ... powerful. Compared to the 360, yes it is powerful ... it is an upgrade. But the X1 was ORIGINALLY DESIGNED as a multimedia box. Not as a pure gaming machine. The bandwidth of this system will be the death of the system, from the get-go.

GodofWine

So Im keeping my hopes realistic that PS4 will be the same resolution as Xb1, but it (ps4) will have better effects / textures...Im fine with that.

1) Its launch
2) I hate, but get these type of politics only because its launch

It gives hope that BF5..or BFBC3(? is that next), or their star wars games, will eventually be better on PS4.

Im not a 720p hater, but more is better.

Portugeezer

I'm actually serious.

edit: MS needs to parachute it's engineers into D.I.C.E. ASAP. The Xbox One is much more capable, but the unoptimal decisions are going to bite in the ass.

Don't know about "much more", but is it really capable of more for launch? I don't think DICE's talent is in question here; they're making a game on an engine which is made to run on 5 platforms. It would be hard to get much more optimised for launch, even the PS4 version.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People who weren't expecting most third-party games to be kept at a similar level had their heads in the sand.

1. Publishers most likely won't want a difference so they don't damage relationships with the console makers.

2. It takes extra work by developers, which we know most likely won't happen.

3. There is a possibility of moneyhats being thrown around to keep them equal.

So you guys realize this wasn't a confirmation of anything.. right? Or are we just going to keep pretending?

Yes, well I was saying the same thing about all the XB1 rumors from Jan - May. Then all the rumors became facts almost word for word. So I have learned that maybe the rumors are true. This game goes into open beta in two days, what you will be playing Tuesday is pretty much what will ship at the end of the month.

Top Bottom