• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Couleurs

Awesome, I've been waiting to buy WWE 16 until it was dirt cheap; it doesn't get much cheaper than $0. Haven't played one since uhhhh...whatever year HBK and HHH were on the cover (08 or 09)

whoa that's a pretty good month. WWE 2K16 is alright, but the load times are disgusting in their length and frequency.

I'm mostly excited for Warriors and BGaE, though owning Spelunky on another platform is also good

Come on people. WWE 2K16 is great just like NBA was for PS4.

Hope we get more of these games as it gives them a bigger community online.

It's far from a 'bleh' month. I don't know what people want.

Chris1

Come on people. WWE 2K16 is great just like NBA was for PS4.

Hope we get more of these games as it gives them a bigger community online.

It's far from a 'bleh' month. I don't know what people want.

Thing is with sports games they have their own fans and a lot of them are region specific, so there's bound to be a ton of disappointment when giving away games like that. Even if they gave away NBA or Madden my care level would be -100 because I simply couldn't give two shits about them being from the UK, even if the games in their own right are actually good. Obviously wrestling has a bit more worldwide appeal, but in the end it's still a sports game that kinda has it's own fans.

I mean, it's cool that some people are happy with it and all power to them and all, but it's easy to see why people aren't exactly thrilled about it either (more so than usual, anyways)

Novocaine

Happy for Warrior's Orochi. Might give WWE a crack but I'm not a big fan of Wrestling.

Already have Spelunky, AS ALL OF YOU SHOULD. I'd love to see it get patched up to PC/PS4 standards.

ElRenoRaven

Yea if I didn't already have WWE 2k16 I'd be all over that. Someday I might buy another WWE game but I tend to only buy one a gen just like my Hockey games.

1upmuffin

This is an awesome month! I've been wanting a Warriors game, but didn't feel like buying one, haha. And WWE is dumb/bad but can be fun with friends. Spelunky is good though I have on PC, and same with Beyond Good and Evil.

The Argus

Looks like I'm playing Spelunky again. Since I didn't renew my PSN+ I'm excited. Maybe I can finally beat a Hell run. Doubt it.

I know nothing about the current WWE but I'm happy to try 2K16, had fun with the N64 wrestling titles.

shandy706

Couldn't care less about real wrestling, but I'll take a wrestling game and BGEHD.

It's been forever since I played a Wrestling game.

Good stuff.

ohlawd

crap, more money wasted for buying a 360 game. at this point all 360 games I own are gonna be free except Tales of Vesperia and Black Ops 1

Justinh

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and WWE 2K16 for Xone?
Well, I'd never actually pay for these games. I guess I can try them out.
I remember loving Beyond Good and Evil, but I have never been able to finish it.
At least on Xbox One, I can invert Y system level since Inverting the axis in the game inverts both for some reason (The only reason this really bothers me is it screws me up with the camera).

Any way to access the youtube vid?

not sure why, but it looks like they reuploaded it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThMPgpEddQg

Great. Going to be addicted to Spelunky again. That's all I need!

I downloaded WWE 2k16 when it was free for a weekend a little while ago. Deleted it after about 2 fights. Felt very slow and sluggish. Suppose I can give it another go.

Decent month all in all.

amdb00mer

I already have BGE, but not the others. I think I might enjoy Spelunky and it's been a while since I played a game from the "Warriors" series. I tried to enjoy WWE2K16 during the free preview. Game graphics-wise looks good, but the controls are not very good. I felt like I was fighting the controls more than my opponent. I miss the Yukes from the 90's.

Is Spelunky like Cave Story?

Only insofar as they're both 2D platformers (kind of).

Spelunky challenges you to learn and become an expert in its mechanics and its enemies and its traps, because the game is different every time you play so if you're not really clued up in how A reacts with B, then you die really quickly. The learning process in this game is fucking incredible and there is nothing quite like how amazing it feels to get better and better at it.

Like, when I started I looked at the achievements and there was one for beating the game in eight minutes and I laughed my head off. That's impossible! I can't even beat the first world, let alone the game, let alone in eight minutes! I figured I'd just get as many achievements as I could, maybe 8 of 20, but then you get better and you think "maybe I can beat the game," and it takes 45 minutes but you manage it and you feel like a God. You'll never beat it in eight minutes though. That's still impossible! But something in the back of your mind keeps spurring you on, because you can feel how much better you're getting, even though the game is still regularly killing you, and so on and so on. There's always something a little more to find in Spelunky, something a little more to push for. I'm currently trying to beat the game in under four minutes for no reason other than that I KNOW I can do it, and I can't move on until I've proved it. And that's from a position where I couldn't even beat the first level like fifty times in a row.

I can't even explain how good Spelunky is. If you like 2D platformers you'll like it, but you won't necessarily just because you like Cave Story, although there's no reason why not.

tim1138

Only insofar as they're both 2D platformers (kind of).

Spelunky challenges you to learn and become an expert in its mechanics and its enemies and its traps, because the game is different every time you play so if you're not really clued up in how A reacts with B, then you die really quickly. The learning process in this game is fucking incredible and there is nothing quite like how amazing it feels to get better and better at it.

Like, when I started I looked at the achievements and there was one for beating the game in eight minutes and I laughed my head off. That's impossible! I can't even beat the first world, let alone the game, let alone in eight minutes! I figured I'd just get as many achievements as I could, maybe 8 of 20, but then you get better and you think "maybe I can beat the game," and it takes 45 minutes but you manage it and you feel like a God. You'll never beat it in eight minutes though. That's still impossible! But something in the back of your mind keeps spurring you on, because you can feel how much better you're getting, even though the game is still regularly killing you, and so on and so on. There's always something a little more to find in Spelunky, something a little more to push for. I'm currently trying to beat the game in under four minutes for no reason other than that I KNOW I can do it, and I can't move on until I've proved it. And that's from a position where I couldn't even beat the first level like fifty times in a row.

I can't even explain how good Spelunky is. If you like 2D platformers you'll like it, but you won't necessarily just because you like Cave Story, although there's no reason why not.

Thanks for the explanation, I would have never guessed any of that from the GwG video. The clips they show look Cave Story esque, and it would have been fine if it was because I love Cave Story.
That said, it sounds like a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks for the explanation, I would have never guessed any of that from the GwG video. The clips they show look Cave Story esque, and it would have been fine if it was because I love Cave Story.
That said, it sounds like a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Basically the key point to know about Spelunky is that every time you die, you start at the beginning. You don't level up. You can't keep any items. You start at the beginning as if you've just turned on the game for the first time ever.

A lot of people get frustrated and mistake that for "losing progress" or "wasting their time," but in truth every time you die in Spelunky gets you a little further to the end, because every single game is a learning experience, and while the game is still kiling you you can feel that you're improving. Deaths that took you by surprise you will see coming, and you might still die but you'll know it was your fault and you'll know what you could have done to avoid it, and soon it will become second nature. There's no wasted time playing Spelunky. Everything that happens is for a reason.

(There are tiny elements of "progression," in that you can unlock short-cuts and complete a journal of discoveries, but these are kind of secondary to the main game.)

SpotAnime

So the rumors were right, albeit a month later. Orochi is a great choice and I'll be grabbing it for sure. I'm not a WWE fan but that's another decent game to appeal to the broader consumer base.

And Spellunky and BG&E, both great and BC. Fantastic month overall.

GWG has been very disappointing for the last little while, outside of Costume Quest 2.

This month's offering doesn't interest me at all. The two Xbox One games, especially. Spelunky just isn't for me and I've almost 100%ed Beyond Good and Evil. (Though the latter is great.)

Top Bottom