• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

What the? For once I am.... almost, happy about next months releases?

:O

WWE is a huge download if I remember correctly, I played it a lot during the free weekend a few weeks back. Wish I had known it was going 'proper' free after that so I could have not deleted it lol.

muzzymate

Great month, in my opinion.

I've always had interest in Splunky but never pulled the trigger. And I used to play pro-wrestling games back in the N64 days. May be fun to go see how they play now. Already have Beyond Good & Evil HD and I've never heard of the other one, but it looks interesting enough.

quality wise the wwe games are god awful but they can be fun with some friends

I haven't played orochi in forever though. not the best warriors game but very good. I got the ps4 version, imported my save, realized I didn't remember wtf I was doing and returned it. So a fresh start might be an alright way to get back in

amdb00mer

Great month, in my opinion.

I've always had interest in Splunky but never pulled the trigger. And I used to play pro-wrestling games back in the N64 days. May be fun to go see how they play now. Already have Beyond Good & Evil HD and I've never heard of the other one, but it looks interesting enough.

If your expecting N64 controls, then be prepared to be disappointed. I do not like the new controls. They really over complicate things. The game visually looks good, but the controls in my opinion leave a lot to be desired.

Bessy67

New games are up
WWE 2k16 (XB1):
https://store.xbox.com/Xbox-One/Games/WWE-2K16/deaa916c-0b1f-42fb-951d-d695241a5007

Spelunky (360&XB1):
http://marketplace.xbox.com/Product/Spelunky/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109be
(it may take some time for it to roll out to your region, if it's not showing as free try ctrl+f5'ing after logging in, or waiting a little longer)ĺ

Pretty sure Warriors Orochi is the first Xbox One game this month. WWE still shows as $40 for me, but Orochi is free.

RBH

New games are up
WWE 2k16 (XB1):
https://store.xbox.com/Xbox-One/Games/WWE-2K16/deaa916c-0b1f-42fb-951d-d695241a5007

Spelunky (360&XB1):
http://marketplace.xbox.com/Product/Spelunky/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584109be
(it may take some time for it to roll out to your region, if it's not showing as free try ctrl+f5'ing after logging in, or waiting a little longer)ĺ

WWE 2K16 still shows up as $39.99. I thought WWE 2K16 wasn't supposed to be free until the middle of August?

Flux

New games are up

Warriors orachi (xb1):

https://store.xbox.com/Xbox-One/Gam...Ultimate/c4033ac9-2b2f-4411-b396-02b799973ffa

Spelunky (360&XB1):

Warriors is available. Almost 20 gigs too. Good thing the new month means a new internet bandwidth.

Akai__

I wished they would finally remove the "Add Payment" option to the free games. I always have to start my 360 to get the 360 games. Doesn't work on PC and doesn't work on the Xbox One. Bloody annoying.

Flux

For anyone interested, there are different regional versions of Warriors Orochi available.
Really I guess only applies to achievement hunters or anyone looking for different language options. There is a US (English), Taiwan/China, Japan, and Canadian (Eng/French) game to download. All are free with gold if you just change your region on the website.

I wished they would finally remove the "Add Payment" option to the free games. I always have to start my 360 to get the 360 games. Doesn't work on PC and doesn't work on the Xbox One. Bloody annoying.

Just create a virtual credit card (MBNet in Portugal) ans call it a day. I think you can use paypal too

xrnzaaas

I've bought an Xbox One only last month, but I've also noticed this annoyance. Leaves me with three choices - ignoring BC games, buying redeem codes for 360 games outside of the MS store (which is risky) or looking for retail versions.

For anyone interested, there are different regional versions of Warriors Orochi available.
Really I guess only applies to achievement hunters or anyone looking for different language options. There is a US (English), Taiwan/China, Japan, and Canadian (Eng/French) game to download. All are free with gold if you just change your region on the website.

Thanks for remembering me. But I do not think there is a separated achievement list for a Canadian French release. If I remember right there are 4 versions: English, Japanese, Taiwan/Hong Kong Chinese and Mainland Chinese (locked In the Chinese Marketplace)

Monocle

What's the appeal of Warriors Orochi? The gameplay feels so shallow. Maybe I've been spoiled by Platinum action games or something.

Novocaine

warriors is mindless and fun, what a great free title for the month.

It has a pretty sick techno soundtrack too.

What's the appeal of Warriors Orochi? The gameplay feels so shallow. Maybe I've been spoiled by Platinum action games or something.

I like to think of musou in the same vein as clickers. Mindless thing to keep you occupied. Don't go searching for any kind of depth, just kick back, relax and kill a few thousand dudes.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
A lot of it is mindless, but as things go on it becomes all about strategic timing of battlefield management. There is the micro of battle which involves fun with combos and such and gets a bit more interesting with other generals, then the macro which is more alive and always kind of getting away from you. When you learn to really crush even harder battles you get a great sense of your awareness and efficiency as a leader for your troops.

Hyrule Warriors is a better introduction for the genre because it really highlights these things and sets them before you as priority challenges for unlocks. You start seeing the masses of troops as a resources vs time thing, but also a component of what sets the bar of success for your troops when you leave them to address something else rather than just a combo number.

Chris1

I've bought an Xbox One only last month, but I've also noticed this annoyance. Leaves me with three choices - ignoring BC games, buying redeem codes for 360 games outside of the MS store (which is risky) or looking for retail versions.

Buy a throwaway prepaid credit card and/or paypal and it'll work if you don't want to put your payment details on your xbox

Flux

Thanks for remembering me. But I do not think there is a separated achievement list for a Canadian French release. If I remember right there are 4 versions: English, Japanese, Taiwan/Hong Kong Chinese and Mainland Chinese (locked In the Chinese Marketplace)
Yes you are correct. I had the mainland China version in mind when counting the stackable games. It's not accessible to general users, need a China region locked box. The Canadian bilingual versions shares achievements with the US version.

Kaji AF16

The last musou I had played were Dynasty Warriors 4-5-6 and the first Warriors Orochi for the PS2, back in 2008. Playing WO3 thanks to GWG, I was surprised at how little the series / genre has evolved both on graphics and mechanics during these years...

Nairume

Banned
The last musou I had played were Dynasty Warriors 4-5-6 and the first Warriors Orochi for the PS2, back in 2008. Playing WO3 thanks to GWG, I was surprised at how little the series / genre has evolved both on graphics and mechanics during these years...
For what it's worth, WO3 originally came out in 2011. You aren't really seeing something coming out that much later from the stuff you played.

Kinyou

I wish Orochi had better graphics. I feel like the old Ninety Nine Nights looked better.

Edit: ah ok, this was originally a 360/PS3 game

Kaji AF16

For what it's worth, WO3 originally came out in 2011. You aren't really seeing something coming out that much later from the stuff you played.

DW4 is from 2003. WO1 is from 2007. Four years, a reasonable time, between the most advanced one I had played and WO3U... which yes, is a Seventh Gen port, and five years old. But it looks and plays almost the same on my Xbox One that its predecessors on my old PS2, there wasn´t any significant evolution. They must sell very well or target a conservative, not very exigent demographic.
Still giving it a chance, though.

Download the SmartGlass app for your phone, all your problems solved.

Flux

Does Banner Saga 2 get better? I played it for a bit last night and wasn't very impressed.
Yes, the hook or appeal of the game is when you feel the weight of your decisions or consequences. This may take another gaming session to reach. I did not find the strategy or combat all that exciting either.

DW4 is from 2003. WO1 is from 2007. Four years, a reasonable time, between the most advanced one I had played and WO3U... which yes, is a Seventh Gen port, and five years old. But it looks and plays almost the same on my Xbox One that its predecessors on my old PS2, there wasn´t any significant evolution. They must sell very well or target a conservative, not very exigent demographic.

Try one of the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games. They started on the PS3 so that version of the engine is much improved, with lots of enemies onscreen without any of the pop-in that plagues even WO3:U. WO3 seems to still be using a modified form of the PS2 engine.

That's just for improved graphics. It would be nice to see some gameplay improvements, but it's hard to complain too much when the series has been around for fifteen years and still no one can make a competent clone.

Novocaine

Plays yeah. But looks? When was the last time you plugged in a PS2? Because I have a feeling that when you do you're going to be disappointed at the graphical fidelity.

Tried Spelunky again for a while last night. No, still don't like it. Tumblestone was okay but that kind of puzzle game doesn't cut it with me anymore. Maybe 15 years ago, but not now. Removed.

Tried some older GwG games, too. Finally played "The Crew" a bit last night and it seems pretty good. The handling takes some adjustment and reminds me of Sega Rally but I loved that game so no problems here. I also tried Sherlock Holmes and I actually like it a lot, so if anyone else redeemed these games and hasn't given them a shot I encourage you to do so.

Does Banner Saga 2 get better? I played it for a bit last night and wasn't very impressed.

I was bored as hell but strategy/tactics games aren't my bag. This really seems more like a PC game to me.

Can't believe i am asking this...but chapter 2 of Warrior's Orochi 3. For some reason i keep losing there. I really don't find the explanation of where you need to go all that clear. It says the battle has been lost. What am i doing wrong?

Yes, the hook or appeal of the game is when you feel the weight of your decisions or consequences. This may take another gaming session to reach. I did not find the strategy or combat all that exciting either.
I tried to play through bs2 but I am hopelessly stuck on on fight. It is so annoying, I don't know if I need to go back and level up more or something. I was really liking the game before I got stuck.

Yes you are correct. I had the mainland China version in mind when counting the stackable games. It's not accessible to general users, need a China region locked box. The Canadian bilingual versions shares achievements with the US version.

I have a Chinese Xbox and can access the Chinese Marketplace but looking at the webstore (my Chinese unit is not coonected to the tv at moment) it seems that the Chinese version ofvthe game is not free. Does China have GWG???

Max_Po

Banned
I have a Chinese Xbox and can access the Chinese Marketplace but looking at the webstore (my Chinese unit is not coonected to the tv at moment) it seems that the Chinese version ofvthe game is not free. Does China have GWG???

Did you try Chinese xbox support? Does China has xbox office. ..do they speak Chinese ??? Chinese ...

Is there anyway to add a Game with Gold without having to download the game? My Xbox One Hard Drive is constantly full to the point its causing login and update problems. I plan on getting an external hard drive soon.

Is there anyway to add a Game with Gold without having to download the game? My Xbox One Hard Drive is constantly full to the point its causing login and update problems. I plan on getting an external hard drive soon.

I would love to have a "buy but don't download" option for digital purchases. I usually revert to buying on the Xbox and flipping over to the my games and apps menu and canceling the install there.

I would love to have a "buy but don't download" option for digital purchases. I usually revert to buying on the Xbox and flipping over to the my games and apps menu and canceling the install there.

Yeah the PS store has this feature. I end up adding everything on plus to library now. Hope MS follow suit.

Xis

This is extra-annoying if you have an Xbox One and an Xbox 360. I "buy" the free Gold games each month, and the X360 games download to both consoles; I only keep the X360 around for streaming video.

Top Bottom