• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Rembrandt

Banned
Yeah, it would be nice if we could get one retail title and one indie game. Maybe even let us keep the indie game while the retail one is tied to the sub. Hopefully we'll hear more about GwG at E3. Not a big deal, though, I've enjoyed every game except for chariot.

Yeah, it would be nice if we could get one retail title and one indie game. Maybe even let us keep the indie game while the retail one is tied to the sub. Hopefully we'll hear more about GwG at E3. Not a big deal, though, I've enjoyed every game except for chariot.

They really should've implemented this policy at the one year anniversary mark, giving away retail games that don't really have many sales in their future like Zoo Tycoon and the like (along with an indie release per month). Like you, I'm hoping they go that route at E3.

I'd be perfectly okay with two good indie games a month like Sony currently has it set up.

I'm not asking nor do I expect retail games yet.

I think realistically we have to wait until the Xbox One builds up a larger retail library, like the 360. I think they could improve the game selection a bit on Gold but we need to wait until we get really into things.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Two 360 games that I haven't tried, aside from the Sniper demo a long time back, nice.

#IDARB will be fun for people to try as well too.

What the flying fuck is an #IDARB, some Twitter meme or colloquialism? Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for Xbone GWG.

*Edit* Oh dear Lord it's some awful looking Towerfall knockoff.

What a terrible post.

Wow, what a joke. How can MS only give it one or two games when Sony is doing 6, sometimes more if you take into account cross Buy. Weak is an understatement.

Aside from one XB1 a month lately, it's pretty clear how they are giving away 6 compared to 3-4, that shouldn't need explanation. And definitely not the 1 or 2 you're talking about.

You guys seriously upset with idarb? I saw a 30min youtube vid of these guys playing it and those were some of the most epic battles I've seen. This game has local and online multiplayer with an infinite amount of skins via qr codes. Some people can't even give a game a chance jeez.

It's silly.

The number of individual players per console for online should and will be increased, but regardless the game is fun and has lots going for it. Especially that you can create your own character skins and QR-scan in characters people make as well. Which means something with how the last two generations are with devs nickel & diming people for costumes and costume colors.

Even the hashtag bomb thing they have through Twitch which lets people who are watching you stream mess with your match by typing certain hashtags is unique and fun as well.

It's nonsense for such a fun game with such inclusions to get shot down from a glance like that.

I was lucky enough to get a holiday copy of #IDARB, hey it was going to be free anyway.
Game is a riot in multiplayer, you also have a single player story mode to go through, presentation, commentary and music are all top notch.

Hashbombs via twitter and twitch are always a laugh, still not seen them all and they are adding more in updates.

I think it will surprise some people.

I got an early code as well too, and yes, the game definitely will surprise many once they actually give it a try.

Maybe I'd agree if Gold actually offered something over PSN but it doesn't. The online services are exactly the same on both consoles, and heck on PS4 I can actually take screenshots and now Spotify is on its way.

As is, Gold offers nothing of real value and GWG is incredibly weak. I didn't realize they gave away 2 games on 360 consistently, so sorry anout that. I haven't even bothered downloading any of them in like over a year (360 GWG)

It's true that MS doesn't have a handheld but they could just give out an extra game to balance it out. Heck, all I'm asking for is a consitent 2 X1 games that are somewhay quality titles. Doing only 1 a month is absurd, especially when we don't even get to keep it anymore.

Unless I'm missing something here, what exactly does Gold offer that's so much better than PSN? This isn't last gen anymore

Well screenshots aren't a subscription based feature so I don't know why thats relevant, perhaps I could mention suspend/resume which Sony announced almost 2 years ago and was fully functional on day 1 on Xbox One? I can bring up unrelated things too...

I think its pretty obvious XBL is a more reliable online service than PSN, even if its just because of a lack of maintenance and things like dealing with a heavy user load where PSN has a pretty poor record, not to say XBL is perfect (its not) but generally, its much better even when I service alerts for things I rarely find my gaming affected either online or otherwise.

You talk about Spotify being on its way, but doesn't Xbox One have a lot of apps that PS4 doesn't? Youtube was day 1 on Xbox One and took a year(ish) to come to PS4? A dedicated twitch app which I think PS4 doesn't have? Spotify is obviously probably the big music app (I don't use any of them so I don't know for sure) but its not like Xbox One doesn't have other sought after apps.

We can play tit-for-tat on features most of which are besides the point but I was laying out the differences in approach between how Microsoft position Xbox Live Gold, justify its value and how Sony do the same with Playstation Plus.

You say Gold offers no real value GwG is incredibly weak and fair enough if you really feel that way but I think the games that have been given generally are pretty good, stuff like STF, Max, Worms (Im no fan personally but I know multiple people that were happy with it given its price and being a Worms game) - I'm not going to list them all, Live is secure, reliable and a good service If you think it offers "no value", don't subscribe then.

Well screenshots aren't a subscription based feature so I don't know why thats relevant, perhaps I could mention suspend/resume which Sony announced almost 2 years ago and was fully functional on day 1 on Xbox One? I can bring up unrelated things too...

I think its pretty obvious XBL is a more reliable online service than PSN, even if its just because of a lack of maintenance and things like dealing with a heavy user load where PSN has a pretty poor record, not to say XBL is perfect (its not) but generally, its much better even when I service alerts for things I rarely find my gaming affected either online or otherwise.

You talk about Spotify being on its way, but doesn't Xbox One have a lot of apps that PS4 doesn't? Youtube was day 1 on Xbox One and took a year(ish) to come to PS4? A dedicated twitch app which I think PS4 doesn't have? Spotify is obviously probably the big music app (I don't use any of them so I don't know for sure) but its not like Xbox One doesn't have other sought after apps.

We can play tit-for-tat on features most of which are besides the point but I was laying out the differences in approach between how Microsoft position Xbox Live Gold, justify its value and how Sony do the same with Playstation Plus.

You say Gold offers no real value GwG is incredibly weak and fair enough if you really feel that way but I think the games that have been given generally are pretty good, stuff like STF, Max, Worms (Im no fan personally but I know multiple people that were happy with it given its price and being a Worms game) - I'm not going to list them all, Live is secure, reliable and a good service If you think it offers "no value", don't subscribe then.

I agree with alot of what you say and personally ive enjoyed the games ive gotten with GWG more on Xbox One than I have gotten on the PS4. People keep arguing about this like its a numbers thing, Sony gives me more value because they give me a $30 retail game insteadof some indie title.........yeah but ive enjoyed those indie titles way more than some poor game that sold terribly and can be found in the bargain bin

dugdug

Banned
Saw Mike Mika promoting Crapgamer of all people, so, I guess I won't download Idarb.

Will definitely check out Sniper, though.

Last month with D4 was also pretty good. All I'm saying is, it wouldn't hurt MS ti at least get this up to par with Plus. Two X1 games a month, indies are fine.

Deception

Idarb looks insanely fun but the 2 console multiplayer is going to be terrible seeing that I'll never be able to enjoy the real experience.

Does a Microsoft published and funded game count as indie? Some people seem to blur the lines, but its not an ID@Xbox title, anyway.

I sometimes consider indie as a genre so in my view, yea I'd say they count. Stuff like Resogun, Ori, Curse of Brotherhood are indies. Smaller, busget titles made by smaller devs

I sometimes consider indie as a genre so in my view, yea I'd say they count. Stuff like Resogun, Ori, Curse of Brotherhood are indies. Smaller, busget titles made by smaller devs

Well... I don't consider a game owned by a multi-billion corporation (and also co-developed in some cases) to be indie, just because they're a small studio/game... also in Max's case Microsoft own the developer too but, personal preferences, I guess.

Well... I don't consider a game owned by a multi-billion corporation (and also co-developed in some cases) to be indie, just because they're a small studio/game... also in Max's case Microsoft own the developer too but, personal preferences, I guess.

Well its more of a distinction to know the kind of game it is. If I here indie, I know it'll be a smaller title, perhaps one that takes more chances or in a genre no longer inhabited by AAA. Maybe we can just fall them AA games instead, haha

Krakn3Dfx

IDARB looks cool, but man, the only XB1 game for the month...

Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lores.jpg

Slim Pickens.

Some of the responses trashing IDARB are silly. The game is amazing, try it out, you may be pleasantly surprised. Calling it a Towerfall ripoff is downright laughable.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
#IDARB on it's own merits is great. The fact it is a fully social experience, either for the player themself (Letting you create your own characters / team, banners, even MUSIC) or online-spread (allowing #Bombs to affect the games of the people playing in a match) plus is full of a bunch of silly halftime mini-games, makes it seem like a product that couldn't exist from a smaller team, without a HUGE amount of resources. And it's got single player atop all that, and apparently a commitment to add more (free?) stuff as the game lives on. I've been looking forward to I, especially since they announced it was Feb's GwG back in Nov/Dec.

As the only game on XB1 for the month (With D4 most likely staying free, and Worms rotating out?), it does seem a bit annoying. Personally, I get enough gaming from sales and such, that I'm not annoyed. But the types of titles that MS has given away probably leave a bad image for the GwG service as a whole.

I really wish they'd give some STRUCTURE to the GWG Program. Such as having smaller games for 2 months of a quarter, and giving away a larger retail / higher value game for the last month of it. Do a better job of managing expectations.

And as much as Microsoft loves including the players in things (Such as with the XB1 Update preview program), I'd love to see them allow pwopel to vote future releases into premiering with GWG, or choosing what content they want to be offered that month.

Ad far as the 360 games, cool beans. Sniper isn't a game I'd normally buy, but I've had friends who really enjoyed it, and it's fairly unique, and has a good tie in to content that'll hopefully be offered free on XB1 GwG one day. I got Brothers on PS3 months back, but it's the kinda game I'd rather play on 360 anyway. So glad to be able to add it to that library.

I only have one controller so I won't be able to do 4v4 multiplayer such seems like the true fun in the game.

The SP mode gets intense! 4 vs 4 is out of control! Remember to hit the back button or start button.. whatever the old school 360 name of it is. It'll light up a big ass marker around your guy so you can see where you're at better.

What the flying fuck is an #IDARB, some Twitter meme or colloquialism? Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for Xbone GWG.

more like iGARB....age.

yeah i really paid 500$ to play some 2d indie crap on my 55 inch plasma and next gen console MS. thanks! make sure loco cycle is next month just to rub in my subscription price.
Edit - the 360 games are actually nice, so i take back half of that rage

Noobcraft

more like iGARB....age.

yeah i really paid 500$ to play some 2d indie crap on my 55 inch plasma MS. thanks! make sure loco cycle is next month just to rub in my subscription price
You don't have to download the free game... Just make sure you don't burn the Call of Duty HUD into your plasma display.

it's OK to try different things sometimes.

crazyprac

more like iGARB....age.

yeah i really paid 500$ to play some 2d indie crap on my 55 inch plasma and next gen console MS. thanks! make sure loco cycle is next month just to rub in my subscription price.

Well dang.

more like iGARB....age.

why dont you take your rage and yell at phil about it on twitter?

Noobcraft

I'm surprised that hasn't been one yet, but maybe the switch to the whole a la carte pricing model killed the chances for it. It's such a fun game though, I've sunk a ton of hours into it.
Powerstar Golf was free in Germany in place of Volgarr the Viking.

why dont you take your rage and yell at phil about it on twitter?

whats he gonna do? he's giving me more incentives to play my 9 year old console instead of my 9 month old one.

Witcher2, SSX, Red faction, Dishonored, Battlefield BC 2, Viva pinata, Saints row, Sleeping dog, dead island, Civilization, Hitman

vs

Volkar the viking? that wagon platformer and idarb? Really? REALLY?

Jigorath

Banned
As I've said before:

With PS+ you pay for free games and also get multiplayer tacked on for PS4, the focus is clearly on those free games.

On XBL you pay for online multiplayer + Xbox Live infrastucture/service and get some free games. Now, if you don't play online with Gold then fair enough but... this is obviously the way both subscriptions are positioned and how they should be viewed (also note that streaming from XB1 to PC seems to require Gold too, infrastructure!)

That doesn't make much sense. PS+ didn't become popular until Sony forced online multiplayer behind a paywall. Both services are positioned primarily for online multiplayer with free games as a bonus. At least for next gen consoles. The vast majority of people subscribe to PS+ and Gold for online multiplayer. Do you really think Sony would have reached 8m Plus subscribers without the paywall?

Bgamer90

Banned

more like iGARB....age.

lol wow. IDARB is a very fun game. You should probably, you know... play it first. It's free.

whats he gonna do? he's giving me more incentives to play my 9 year old console instead of my 9 month old one.

Witcher2, SSX, Red faction, Dishonored, Battlefield BC 2, Viva pinata, Saints row, Sleeping dog, dead island, Civilization, Hitman

vs

A 9 year old console has a larger, older, and cheaper game library than the XB1? GASP!

Bgamer90

Banned
IDARB looks like a lot of fun. It has online multiplayer right?

Yes, though it's a bit basic/limited right now (not that many options). Wouldn't be surprised if it gets updated.

Best way I could describe #IDARB is NBA Jam + Soccer + Smash Bros. with internet memes. Very fun game -- especially for local multiplayer.

Quazar

vs

lol I have to admit, that's pretty funny.

more like iGARB....age.

You paid $500? *snicker* *snicker*

so did i :(

That doesn't make much sense. PS+ didn't become popular until Sony forced online multiplayer behind a paywall. Both services are positioned primarily for online multiplayer with free games as a bonus. At least for next gen consoles. The vast majority of people subscribe to PS+ and Gold for online multiplayer. Do you really think Sony would have reached 8m Plus subscribers without the paywall?

Just because the subscriptions took off when they mandated it for ps4 multiplayer doesn't mean that they don't spend their ps+ money on the games they offer, I personally think that's where their investment goes, anyway.

Caayn

I know that I would cancel my PS+ and XBL subscription right now if the multiplayer paywall was lifted.

TheYanger

Just because the subscriptions took off when they mandated it for ps4 multiplayer doesn't mean that they don't spend their ps+ money on the games they offer, I personally think that's where their investment goes, anyway.

Yeah, no. Sony offers trash from time to time just like MS does. Rewind 6 months and compare the XBLA and PSN free game threads.

more like iGARB....age.

is this real?

But Sony offers 6 games compared to Microsofts 3, that money has to come from somewhere...

If you really think most of the money from gold goes to up keeping servers then I think you'll be surprised. I mean we payed for 10 years of gold on 360 and Xbox with almost every game still being P2P with no benefits at all except just being able to connect.

Top Bottom