• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Jhoan

Grabbed Harley Quinn's DLC before it's too late.

Same here man as it's worth it at that price. That thing is probably never going to be on sale again. The two FPS'es were the highlight in terms of XBLA games.

Boring DOTW. Glad I checked out Sacred Citadel the week before as I'm a sucker for beat em ups even though this one lacks any satisfying blows from killing enemies. I think Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds is a pretty solid Scott Pilgrim style beat em up. I played Double Dragon: Neon with my brother this past weekend in co-op and it was pretty fun; it reminded me of our younger days when we played Double Dragon II: The Revenge in co-op.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Praise on you SAB, you never disappoint. :)
And I even looked for the OT, since I was pretty sure there was one, but I must have derped because I could't find it... :p

I'm getting the game tonight, still on the fence about buying it complete with the DLC or just the game and Harley Quinn's expansion for Arkham City until it's on sale (I know they're both cheap but I have this tiny leftover on the Paypal account I use exclusively on Marketplace/PSN/eShop, so I gotta decide).

Thanks again sir.

Quite welcome :) Yeah, this download decisions lately... especially when across multiple systems! Part of me kinda misses when the only console online service I really made purchases for was XBLA (and the rare Wii downloadable). Spliting between PS3, Vita, XBLA, and Wii U is much more demanding...

Really don't understand why FPS gets this kinda crap when other genres don't. Like I just started a new job a while ago and since it's an internet thing, pretty much everyone here is a gamer, and when I tell them I love action-driven FPS they look at me like I'm speaking martian. "Aren't they really linear and have no story???" Who cares? Like every other genre in existance, it's about appreciating and enjoying the game mechanics.

LoL, sounds like something I'd say about BEU's! Or 2D fighters. I feel FPS get hit with the "It's all the same and repetitive!" stuff a lot less than other genre's critically, though. Twin Stick Shooters, Beat-em-Ups, and Sports games seem to be the ones that get hit the hardest.

I also get the feeling that Gunslinger was suppose to impress people with pretty high production value for a downloadable game too. "Mini AAA", basically. Alongside the gameplay, it's suppose to make you say "Well, it's awesome for 1/4th the price of a full retail game... but feels like it could have sold for $60..."

aku:jiki

LoL, sounds like something I'd say about BEU's! Or 2D fighters. I feel FPS get hit with the "It's all the same and repetitive!" stuff a lot less than other genre's critically, though. Twin Stick Shooters, Beat-em-Ups, and Sports games seem to be the ones that get hit the hardest.

I also get the feeling that Gunslinger was suppose to impress people with pretty high production value for a downloadable game too. "Mini AAA", basically. Alongside the gameplay, it's suppose to make you say "Well, it's awesome for 1/4th the price of a full retail game... but feels like it could have sold for $60..."
Every genre gets it, but considering CoD is the largest franchise in the world, I'd say FPS "wins" by default. The entire internet is filled with "omg it's the same shit every year" posts, on everything from GAF to Twitter to YouTube comments to, I don't know, usenet mailing lists. Of course it is! Who wants to buy a new CoD and suddenly have it be a flight sim or some shit? Similarly, why would fans want Phantom Breaker 2 to be, like, a block-breaking puzzle game?

But when it comes to BEUs and other genres I don't like, I can readily admit that it's because the mechanics don't appeal to me, which makes me too lazy to care about learning sweet combos and appreciating the deeper aspects, which in turn makes the game feel shallow and boring. The only genre I'd say is inherently shit is MOBA because that genre is just dumb and so are the kids who love it.

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg

Foul Play - 15$ (1200msp), 1.97GB.

Also,

Magic 2014
--Expansion - 5$ (400msp)

-----
Takedown: Red Sabre will be coming out on Friday, 15$.

After redeeming a 2 day gold trial, if I migrate my spare account to South Africa would I be able to download Banjo and use it in my main account?

Marlow Briggs is actually pretty decent. It's a hack and slash game, combat is mostly responsive but the camera is a real issue. The narrator in game is pretty funny though and it's somewhat challenging, but the camera isn't great.

One for the sales.

Just saw a tweet that says A.R.E.S: Extinction Agenda EX will be release for XBLA 2nd of October.
http://www.aksysgames.com/ares/

Receiving Console Transmission – A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX has been refitted with new console friendly designs, including a new UI, control scheme, and leaderboards.

Upgrade Complete– Armed with new weapons, abilities, and even a new playable character, humanity’s secret weapon has never been stronger.
Obstruction Eminent – Ares isn’t the only one with new tricks; new enemies and bosses have also joined the fray.
Uncharted Sectors – With readjusted maps and completely new levels, there are an abundance of areas to explore for new and returning robots alike.
Visuals Updated – New high resolution textures as well as brand new animated cut scenes.
Audio Enhanced – A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX comes complete with the original soundtrack by Hyperduck Soundworks. Also now boasting a completely new soundtrack for the second campaign from Heavy Metal master Charlie Parra Del Riego, a perfect fit for Taurus the heavy metal Tanker.

boxartlg.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

ARES is alright for what I have played on the steam version, glad to finally see it on xbla, I think it was originally aimed at being a live title back 3+ years ago.

Feindflug

So what is it with Super TIME force? Is that coming out soon?

They are still tweaking it, according to the PAX previews/hands on the game is faster or something and in result the game feels and plays better than before which is great news I guess.

We'll probably see the game sometime this fall...at least I hope so. :p

I found an article from Polygon commenting on the new tweaks:

Almost every time we've played Super Time Force, it's played differently. After adding a Time Out mechanic earlier this year to lessen the time penalty related to dying and a rewind feature that let players insert themselves into a level's timeline of their choosing, Capy tweaked the way rescuing one of your fallen Super Time Force comrades works. Now, instead of giving players one more life upon which to draw, players will get an extra hit point for their character whenever they save someone who died earlier in the timeline.

That action also combines the charged attack powers of the two (or more) characters. For example, if you're Aimy McKillin (formerly Lady Sniper) and you rescue Jean Rambois, when you fire your combined charge attack, her piercing sniper round and Rambois' spread beam will fire at the same time. A blue-tinted trail effect also follows your character when this happens, accentuating the super power.

Also new — to me, at least — was a time-slowing power-up and the inclusion of collectible golden gems that are hidden throughout each of the game's levels, as was a ranking screen that graded players based on their performance and how many collectibles they managed to pick up.

legbone

i justed wanted to give some impressions of marlow briggs and the mask of death. these are just impressions of the demo mind you, i don't have the full game. i am seriously considering buying it though.

i have a feeling the guys at zootfly are big fans of raven's x-men origins: wolverine game. this game reminds me of it for some reason. of course it is not as polished or near as good in my opinion but it really reminds me of it. even down to reflecting rockets back at enemies. i wish it was half as gory as wolverine. if you had told me there were ex-raven employees working at zootfly i wouldn't be surprised. turns out they are some slovenian cats. well, i think their demo shows promise and a unique sense of humor. mind you this could all change in the final product (ie later levels). if i end up purchasing the game and it ends up being a complete turd i'll update this. anyway, it's definitely b-grade but it's almost b-grade schlock in the nature of a drive in movie so far.

i justed wanted to give some impressions of marlow briggs and the mask of death. these are just impressions of the demo mind you, i don't have the full game. i am seriously considering buying it though.

i have a feeling the guys at zootfly are big fans of raven's x-men origins: wolverine game. this game reminds me of it for some reason. of course it is not as polished or near as good in my opinion but it really reminds me of it. even down to reflecting rockets back at enemies. i wish it was half as gory as wolverine. if you had told me there were ex-raven employees working at zootfly i wouldn't be surprised. turns out they are some slovenian cats. well, i think their demo shows promise and a unique sense of humor. mind you this could all change in the final product (ie later levels). if i end up purchasing the game and it ends up being a complete turd i'll update this. anyway, it's definitely b-grade but it's almost b-grade schlock in the nature of a drive in movie so far.

Definitely agree with this. Camera is an issue though, should have gone for free control instead of fixed, would have helped considerably.

my xbox takes insanely long to load up; probably due to me having my 200+ HD basically always full. is there anything i can do to make it go faster? some way to defragment or anything?

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm debating if I should wait for SC2 HD to come out or just get something now with the free twenty bucks I got from Microsoft..

Move everything to USB sticks, other devices and format HDD. Move everything back or redownload.

Is this a guaranteed answer or just an idea? Because I thought the slowness was related to the size of our profiles over the years with all the achievement data and such. My profile causes things to load super slow but my girlfriend's profile goes really quick. I also can't change my avatar's clothing or props anymore because it simply errors out or freezes while trying to access my stuff. It's so awesome.

Lima

Is this a guaranteed answer or just an idea? Because I thought the slowness was related to the size of our profiles over the years with all the achievement data and such. My profile causes things to load super slow but my girlfriend's profile goes really quick. I also can't change my avatar's clothing or props anymore because it simply errors out or freezes while trying to access my stuff. It's so awesome.

It works, after a few months/a year you are back to slow though. The 360 doesn't clean up the file structure unfortunately so deleting stuff and just using your 360 makes the HDD messy and slow as hell.

The size of your profile has nothing to do with it otherwise a recovery of your gamertag would work because they changed the way the recovery works. It no longer downloads all the achievement pictures and information. If you recover your profile now it should be in the single MB range.

If you go to social and look at your achievements they will be downloaded again and your profile size will increase again.

jbug617

Banned
I made a thread but the deals are on 2K games (Bioshock series, Borderland series and X-Com)

Best deal seems to be Bioshock Infinite for $19.99. The DLC for those games are also on sale but are Gold Only.

Top Bottom