• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Well the lack of demos is yet another stupid MS idea. Do many/most games have a demo on PSN?

A lot of the multiplatform ones do, since they have to spend the time to create the demo content for XBLA anyway. That might mean a steep decline in demos for both PS4 and Xbox One now that those mandatory demos aren't being made for any platform.

Though Sony is probably more likely to set up an easy 60-minute timed demo thing dev could implement with little effort, since they already do that with some retail games on PS+ now. Especially if they can deliver on the Gaikai promises.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well the lack of demos is yet another stupid MS idea. Do many/most games have a demo on PSN?

HAHA, no, not at ALL. Generally, the only PSN games that have demos are the ones that already have a demo, because they released on XBLA, which required one.

Demos take extra production for the creators, as they are now, and can cause their own set of issues, even in the full game. So they don't seem to particularly LIKE making them...

...A true shame, as I agree, it's one of the best things about XBLA. I LOVE the fact that every arcade release day is a time to try out something new... the lack of regular demos on PSN and Wii and Wii U's networks makes them feel lonely and unexciting by comparison. Demo's give everyone something to talk about, even those who didn't purchase.

However, now Sony will over Demos through streaming of the full game as a more normal feature (already limited on PS3)... So it's likely this MIGHT be a system that Xbox ONE adopts as well. Why make a complicated demo build, with it's own marketing, video, bumbers, alt UI, and restrictive settings, when you can universally just make the game playable for an hour, and then lock out continuing until the game is purchased as a full product?

They'll also both offer the ability to "Play as the game downloads", so such things could be played within moments, rather than having to wait for the whole file to Download.

Vert boil

Duck Tales demo is up now.

boxartlg.jpg

banner.png

Coming out on Halloween, Oct 31st (Thursday) for 15$.

And Girl Fight will finally be coming out September 25th.

Just noticed this on xbox.com had never heard of it before but looks interesting enough.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/How-to-Survive/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584113e8

banner.png

boxartlg.jpg

You are shipwrecked on an isolated island, a desperate castaway in a total freakshow world. How will you survive? Collect the pages of a Survival Guide and figure it out, of course! Find food, water, and shelter before you perish. Uh oh, is it getting dark? Figure out how to get through the night! While you’re at it, gather up some of this awesome stuff and piece together over 100 handmade weapons and tools—from shotguns to Molotov cocktails. Now you can defend yourself and your friends like a boss!
• Choose one of the three playable characters, each with different characteristics and skill trees.
• Explore four islands filled with unique flora and fauna and a variety of abhorrent monstrosities
• Collect “Survival guide” video chapters to learn tips that will save your life!
• Play with a friend offline through the story mode or go online and play with a friend through 8 demanding challenges.
• Try the “Iron Man” difficulty for a demanding hardcore game experience.

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

screenlg7.jpg

Just noticed this on xbox.com had never heard of it before but looks interesting enough.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/How-to-Survive/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584113e8

You are shipwrecked on an isolated island, a desperate castaway in a total freakshow world. How will you survive? Collect the pages of a Survival Guide and figure it out, of course! Find food, water, and shelter before you perish. Uh oh, is it getting dark? Figure out how to get through the night! While you’re at it, gather up some of this awesome stuff and piece together over 100 handmade weapons and tools—from shotguns to Molotov cocktails. Now you can defend yourself and your friends like a boss! • Choose one of the three playable characters, each with different characteristics and skill trees. • Explore four islands filled with unique flora and fauna and a variety of abhorrent monstrosities • Collect “Survival guide” video chapters to learn tips that will save your life! • Play with a friend offline through the story mode or go online and play with a friend through 8 demanding challenges. • Try the “Iron Man” difficulty for a demanding hardcore game experience.

Interest piqued. Sounds great.

Dont mean to double post but are xbla demos workin for everyone. Tried getting the ducktales demo but i get errors bringing up its page and many marketplace games.

aku:jiki

Wow, it's still busted? I bought a season pass and got to download DLC1 yesterday, then it broke and I couldn't queue up DLC's 2-4 and that was like 14 hours ago. MS fucking up left and right this year...

Wow, it's still busted? I bought a season pass and got to download DLC1 yesterday, then it broke and I couldn't queue up DLC's 2-4 and that was like 14 hours ago. MS fucking up left and right this year...

well...their constant fucking up has resulted in like over a dozen free games being available the past month so...as annoying as it is, it's worth it ;)

Vert boil

banner.png

Happy Wars will be available to silver users between the 13th and 20th.

http://playxbla.com/free-silver-week-on-happy-wars/
The Free-with-Gold title Happy Wars is offering free access to multiplayer on Happy Wars for one week to all Xbox Live Members September 13-20. Download and play this multi-player action game that pits different comic-style characters against each other in over-the-top combat arenas. Our latest update includes a new character class and some big improvements. If you love the game, upgrade to Xbox Live Gold to access all of your in-app purchases and progress saved! Storm the castle this week free on Xbox Live. Log on & start playing now!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Happy-Wars/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410ae9

Galdelico

Hey guys, is Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds worthy on the whole? Plus, has it ever been on sale or rumored to be on sale soon?
I tried the game last night and holy shit I loved it. But I read a couple of reviews and it doesn't seem to have collected striking scores... I wonder if it's just a case of the game being overlooked or if there's any noticeable problem lying under its wonderful surface.

People on my TA feed are claiming that MS is going to kill download history and that the service is going to be removed. That sounds absurd to me, but I have to ask if there's any truth to that BS at all?

Hey guys, is Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds worthy on the whole? Plus, has it ever been on sale or rumored to be on sale soon?
I tried the game last night and holy shit I loved it. But I read a couple of reviews and it doesn't seem to have collected striking scores... I wonder if it's just a case of the game being overlooked or if there's any noticeable problem lying under its wonderful surface.
It's a good game if you like the genre, really. Not much else to say about it. It's cute and fun but not like a revelation.

Slygmous

I really really liked what I played of Phantom Breaker, but haven't finished it yet. Reasonably deep combat compared to other brawlers and a fun soundtrack. The only possibly negative stuff I could mention is that some of the voices are a little on the irritating side, and there's some almost day-one-DLC that includes an extra character and raises the level cap.

The demo is a little weird, as it gives you a high level character with a lot of moves already unlocked. When the game really starts, it's a little slower.

I really should go back and finish it.

People on my TA feed are claiming that MS is going to kill download history and that the service is going to be removed. That sounds absurd to me, but I have to ask if there's any truth to that BS at all?

That would be suicide for Microsoft's digital future, and with a newer version of the 360 released recently I would lean more towards "BS" personally.
Scary thought though.

Sorry but that sounds so ludicrous, removing download history after close to 8 years of digital downloads on the 360, it's the most bullshit move ever if they did, brings them down to nintendo online levels of stupid.

Feindflug

Sorry but that sounds so ludicrous, removing download history after close to 8 years of digital downloads on the 360, it's the most bullshit move ever if they did, brings them down to nintendo online levels of stupid.

The question is why would they do such a thing?

Seems unlikely. I guess they could, they did with the OG XBL and content, but it seems a lot less likely they'd do this with the 360.

The question is why would they do such a thing?
Some of the logic used is that Windows Phone doesn't offer it at all. Delete a game and it's gone forever if it's delisted.

Pro-Tip™: Alarmist horseshit is horseshit.

Today's mantra: Don't be dumb.
Come on, son. I'm the third highest-ranking XBLA player on TA and my friends are the rest of the top 50. I would never have asked if XxDE4tHxKiiLL3rXx on GameFAQs had posted it or some shit. This was posted by a very high-level player in the achievement game, so it gave me pause.

So they sent me a second Ascend beta code for no reason. Post a reply if you want it. No PM's please, I get so many when I give stuff away and feel bad when I can't reply to all of them.

The game is pretty fun and checking it out for an hour or two will give you a leg up on release day, but remember that they're doing a character wipe so don't go too deep into it. Learning and knowing the ascending mechanic will be very helpful on day 1 though. A lot of people will be doing that wrong.

Someone who earns lots of achievements in video games isn't automatically some industry insider.
Of course not. I was just wondering if it was something CBOAT had posted or some such, but wasn't much talked about since most people don't give a fuck about XBLA.

Some of the logic used is that Windows Phone doesn't offer it at all. Delete a game and it's gone forever if it's delisted.

Come on, son. I'm the third highest-ranking XBLA player on TA and my friends are the rest of the top 50. I would never have asked if XxDE4tHxKiiLL3rXx on GameFAQs had posted it or some shit. This was posted by a very high-level player in the achievement game, so it gave me pause.

Actually I can think of plenty of reasons for MS to remove the download history. When a game is delisted, it can be many things, but usually is due the publisher went out of business or a license expires. In both cases it is very questionable that MS continues to provide the original game to users. I can see the IP/license owner complaining that if their contract is over MS has no right to continue to store the game, let alone continue to provide it to users (even if the user has bought it in the past). If the user has the game installed, it is no MS matter, but if MS has to store the game for everytime the user want to redownload it it is a different matter.

Sucks anyway.

Rlan

Anyone pick up Ducktales on XBLA? The trial locks me out of the leaderboards. Could someone tell me how many players are on it?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

May I direct you to my OT for the game? XD

There's no rumor that I know of it going on sale, but you should know that the devs actually plan to continue supporting it! It's getting a Vita port (and something on PS4 at a later time, it sounds). The XBLA version will be getting all the stuff that the Vita game gets (A new playable character + new modes), so MAYBE they'll toss it on sale around that time?

The current DLC Added 1 new character (a guest from a visual novel / anime series), and raised the level cap, while adding a harder difficulty. Pre DLC, you had to prioritize certain aspects in your level builds, to get to max in a part of the growth tree. Post DLC, you can max everything. The higher difficulty tosses out a bunch of strong enemies at you, so it's still worth playing, even once you're level'd up to "BROKEN!" levels.

They actually update their facebook when ever anything worthwhile happens, too.

Anyone pick up Ducktales on XBLA? The trial locks me out of the leaderboards. Could someone tell me how many players are on it?

Sorry, got it on PSN :(

Galdelico

May I direct you to my OT for the game? XD

There's no rumor that I know of it going on sale, but you should know that the devs actually plan to continue supporting it! It's getting a Vita port (and something on PS4 at a later time, it sounds). The XBLA version will be getting all the stuff that the Vita game gets (A new playable character + new modes), so MAYBE they'll toss it on sale around that time?

The current DLC Added 1 new character (a guest from a visual novel / anime series), and raised the level cap, while adding a harder difficulty. Pre DLC, you had to prioritize certain aspects in your level builds, to get to max in a part of the growth tree. Post DLC, you can max everything. The higher difficulty tosses out a bunch of strong enemies at you, so it's still worth playing, even once you're level'd up to "BROKEN!" levels.

Praise on you SAB, you never disappoint. :)
And I even looked for the OT, since I was pretty sure there was one, but I must have derped because I could't find it... :p

I'm getting the game tonight, still on the fence about buying it complete with the DLC or just the game and Harley Quinn's expansion for Arkham City until it's on sale (I know they're both cheap but I have this tiny leftover on the Paypal account I use exclusively on Marketplace/PSN/eShop, so I gotta decide).

Thanks again sir.

I had a go of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger since it's only a fiver at the moment (600 in old money) and I'd heard pretty good things about it.

My experience of the game was something like this: shoot ten guys. Walk forward a few steps. Shoot ten guys. Walk forward another few steps. Shoot ten more guys. Walk another few steps...

Basically the shittiest kind of FPS game. What do people see in this?

I had a go of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger since it's only a fiver at the moment (600 in old money) and I'd heard pretty good things about it.

My experience of the game was something like this: shoot ten guys. Walk forward a few steps. Shoot ten guys. Walk forward another few steps. Shoot ten more guys. Walk another few steps...

Story and the Duels. It was also significantly better than The Cartel.

When a game is delisted, it can be many things, but usually is due the publisher went out of business or a license expires. In both cases it is very questionable that MS continues to provide the original game to users. I can see the IP/license owner complaining that if their contract is over MS has no right to continue to store the game, let alone continue to provide it to users (even if the user has bought it in the past).

You can see how in a scenario that you invented, publishers might complain about something that they pretty clearly have no contractual basis for since it's never come up with any of the many historical delistings? Not really feeling your hypothetical here. :p

Come on, son, what is that supposed to mean? That's like saying "durr, Geometry Wars is just shooting stuff, where's the plot?" or "why do you only jump and stuff in Super Meat Boy, where's the dialogue?"

If you don't like FPS mechanics that's one thing, but a game focusing on them isn't inherently "the shittiest kind of FPS". Just like any other genre, it's about the controls and the player feedback, and Gunslinger nails both.

Really don't understand why FPS gets this kinda crap when other genres don't. Like I just started a new job a while ago and since it's an internet thing, pretty much everyone here is a gamer, and when I tell them I love action-driven FPS they look at me like I'm speaking martian. "Aren't they really linear and have no story???" Who cares? Like every other genre in existance, it's about appreciating and enjoying the game mechanics.

Story and the Duels. It was also significantly better than The Cartel.
It's all about arcade mode. The story is stupid, with all the ghosts and shit.

Come on, son, what is that supposed to mean? That's like saying "durr, Geometry Wars is just shooting stuff, where's the plot?" or "why do you only jump and stuff in Super Meat Boy, where's the dialogue?"

If you don't like FPS mechanics that's one thing, but a game focusing on them isn't inherently "the shittiest kind of FPS". Just like any other genre, it's about the controls and the player feedback, and Gunslinger nails both.

I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, admittedly, but I compare it to something like Far Cry 3 which has the same FPS mechanics but manages to frame the game in something other than a boring shooting gallery

Vert boil

I'll update throughout the day.
Everything is listed in USD. Check your region for local prices.

DOTW

Battlefield 3
--Air Vehicle Shortcut - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)
--Assault Kit Shortcut - 3.50$ (280msp) (was 7$)
--Co-op Weapons Shortcut - 2.50$ (200msp) (was 5$)
--Engineer Kit Shortcut - 3.50$ (280msp) (was 7$)
--Ground Vehicle Shortcut - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)
--Kit Shortcut Bundle - 12.50$ (1000msp) (was 25$)
--Premium - 25$ (2000msp) (was 50$)
--Recon Kit Shortcut - 3.50$ (280msp) (was 7$)
--Support Kit Shortcut - 3.50$ (280msp) (was 7$)
--The Ultimate Shortcut Bundle - 20$ (1600msp) (was 40$)
--Vehicle Shortcut Bundle - 9$ (720msp) (was 18$)

-----
Some more stuff should show up later. NOPE!

NBA 2K12 - 20$ (1600msp) (was 40$)

Rocksmith
--Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold - 2$ (160msp) (was 3$)
--Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold - 2$ (160msp) (was 3$)
--Bright Lights by Gary Clark Jr. - 2$ (160msp) (was 3$)
--Caring is Creepy by The Shins - 2$ (160msp) (was 3$)
--Is This Love by Whitesnake - 2$ (160msp) (was 3$)
--Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold - 2$ (160msp) (was 3$)
--Paris by Grace Potter & The Nocturnals - 2$ (160msp) (was 3$)
--The Final Countdown by Europe - 2$ (160msp) (was 3$)
--We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister - 2$ (160msp) (was 3$)

Top Spin 4 - 20$ (1600msp) (was 40$)

----------
Game with gold bits, (these expire at the end of the month)

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 1 - free (was 20$)
--Two free MP (maps/modes) DLC (They've always been free)

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - free (was 149R) South African Gold account needed.

sheaaaa

I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, admittedly, but I compare it to something like Far Cry 3 which has the same FPS mechanics but manages to frame the game in something other than a boring shooting gallery

The game's narrative frames the action in a way that kept me guessing what was coming next, making it anything but a boring shooting gallery. It's a fantastic example of how a uniquely-told story can make a FPS that doesn't try for anything revolutionary gameplay-wise special. The shooting is the game is some of the best I've played, but I can see how that wouldn't appeal if you're not a FPS fan.

Top Bottom