• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Montresor

Technically it's Winter 2013 now =P

Hey sir, unrelated matter but I'm really not feeling the game play in Axel&Pixel at all. I'm still early but I think one thing that annoys me is how the cursor sometimes turns into a finger (golden finger) on a clickable object and sometimes turns into golden dots on a clickable object. I'd prefer some consistency.

Winterbottom was indeed incredible. It was one of the most satisfying feelings solving all the bonus shorts on my own.

Gamejunky

Anyone having trouble buying things on XBLA marketplace? I'm trying to buy Retro City Rampage but it keeps giving me a error message.

Montresor

Ahhh Axel&Pixel finally clicked for me. I'm not bothered by the cursor anymore. I'm just enjoying a nice point-and-clicker with a great atmosphere. I just got to Ch. 17 and I really hope these locales get (Axel&Pixel spoiler)
scarier and scarier. Ch. 17 was pretty creepy and we are in a dream world after all

Ahhh Axel&Pixel finally clicked for me. I'm not bothered by the cursor anymore. I'm just enjoying a nice point-and-clicker with a great atmosphere. I just got to Ch. 17 and I really hope these locales get (Axel&Pixel spoiler)
scarier and scarier. Ch. 17 was pretty creepy and we are in a dream world after all

Haha, so I'm two for two after all =P

The thing I like about A+P is that everything is self-contained. If you've got something on that screen, you use it on that screen. Point and click games where you find an item and then have to explore ten different areas to find the right pixel to use it on just annoy me. It's kind of stress-free in a way, and I know a lot of people would see that as being too easy but I like it.

jgkspsx

Have you guys ever played Samorost? Don't until you finish Axel and Pixel, but definitely play them both. They're wonderful games.

Vert boil

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Sleeping Dogs - 2800msp/35$ (was 3600/45$) US price, check your region
--Dragon Master pack - 320msp (was 640)
--Nightmare in North Point pack - 280msp (was 560)
--Street Racer pack - 160msp (was 320)
--SWAT pack - 160msp (was 320)

Seems to be UK only but,

Witcher 2 - 2360msp/20£ (was 30£)
-----

Hole in the Wall - 200msp (was 400)

-----
Sale & Specials+ app

Boom Boom Rocket - 400msp (was 800)
Rhythm Party(Boom Boom Dance) - 400msp (was 800)
Rock Band Blitz - 800msp (was 1200)

Terraria is gonna be 15? Why? Its 10 on PC.

Minecraft was cheaper on 360. Sometimes you pay more, sometimes you pay less. TBH it looks like the makers of Terraria want to make some money. They saw how popular these games can be and are riding the current hype of Minecraft. There is nothing wrong with wanting to get paid for what you do. Why always this price obsession comparing PC to consoles? PC in many cases is a test-bed for Indie devs.

Minecraft was cheaper on 360. Sometimes you pay more, sometimes you pay less. TBH it looks like the makers of Terraria want to make some money. They saw how popular these games can be and are riding the current hype of Minecraft. There is nothing wrong with wanting to get paid for what you do. Why always this price obsession comparing PC to consoles? PC in many cases is a test-bed for Indie devs.

Isn't there some extra content, too?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Would be nice if they started the Skulls of the Shogun Hype train some.

Wonder if the Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds Gamerpics were to come out soon? PB's blog mentioned using spare points from the holiday sale to get some gamerpics from them, but maybe that was only for JP side? (Or for the Gamerpics released for the fighter?)

Would be nice if there was at least some Context as to WHY there are no XBLA releases coming out last and this week, y'know? The silence is in pretty poor form.

Would love to see a deal of the week sale on some different stuff... like the DLCs for Dynasty Warriors Series games, or SFxT stuff. How many times can we have companies like Rockstar putting stuff on sale over and over?

Gamejunky

Anyone having trouble buying things on XBLA marketplace? I'm trying to buy Retro City Rampage but it keeps giving me a error message.

So I went to try and buy it today and it's now 1200 >.> not really my fault I couldn't download it yesterday when it was at 800, just gonna pass on it now. Happy the Sleeping dogs addon is on sale though.

OnPoint

Would be nice if they started the Skulls of the Shogun Hype train some.

Wonder if the Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds Gamerpics were to come out soon? PB's blog mentioned using spare points from the holiday sale to get some gamerpics from them, but maybe that was only for JP side? (Or for the Gamerpics released for the fighter?)

Would be nice if there was at least some Context as to WHY there are no XBLA releases coming out last and this week, y'know? The silence is in pretty poor form.

Would love to see a deal of the week sale on some different stuff... like the DLCs for Dynasty Warriors Series games, or SFxT stuff. How many times can we have companies like Rockstar putting stuff on sale over and over?

I have my doubts that Microsoft knows how to hype-train small releases like this.

So I went to try and buy it today and it's now 1200 >.> not really my fault I couldn't download it yesterday when it was at 800, just gonna pass on it now. Happy the Sleeping dogs addon is on sale though.

It'll be 800 again eventually.

I can't remember the last time we went two weeks with no XBLA release, this sucks. I'm going to have to play OLD GAMES.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I have my doubts that Microsoft knows how to hype-train small releases like this.

They could at least do things similiar to the Happy Wars or Dungeon Fighter releases: Get some pre-release streams going, have Play XBLA doing some pic-of-the-day stuff, get a website or 2 to play it early... considering it being the first big cross-release of windows 8 / phone / XBLA, you'd think there'd be more... (17-bit themselves have done a pretty decent job, however, so at least there's that?)

I'd love it if they start taking the release of Videos on live marketplace, and the coming-soon section on the marketplace more seriously. So many areas that could be the prime source to check for info on Xbox, but they often are never mentioned, and go to waste...

It'll be 800 again eventually.

I can't remember the last time we went two weeks with no XBLA release, this sucks. I'm going to have to play OLD GAMES.

Buying PB Winterbottom on sale actually was a plesant reminder of how many great OLD GAMES XBLA has, that could deserve some attention. If they used weeks with no releases, to give some old releases some facetime, with sales, developer interviews, new themes or DLC releases, at least it wouldn't feel like they're just completly dropping the ball for a week.

So many years into these consoles, and it still feels like the online content providers only know half of what they're doing. It always feels so weird...

O well, The Cave next week, Skulls the Week after... at least the coming weeks look pretty promising! (Though I might personally get The Cave on Wii U...)

Vert boil

Since it took them a long time to change the Sales & Specials+ games,

Since it took them a long time to change the Sales & Specials+ games,

These are all worth getting for various reasons. BBR is a nice rhythm game with hardcore timing windows, so getting good scores is for experts only. BBD is a pretty fun Kinect thing, it's a bit weird, but it has YMCA in it. RBB is a track pack for Rock Band, it's a shitty game but hey, TRACK PACK.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Buying PB Winterbottom on sale actually was a plesant reminder of how many great OLD GAMES XBLA has, that could deserve some attention. If they used weeks with no releases, to give some old releases some facetime, with sales, developer interviews, new themes or DLC releases, at least it wouldn't feel like they're just completly dropping the ball for a week.

So many years into these consoles, and it still feels like the online content providers only know half of what they're doing. It always feels so weird...

Microsoft has a stupidly disjointed process.

Majornelson is their public face, but he doesn't really do anything to actually talk about, evaluate, or present their content. He's just an infodump. PlayXBLA is the official blog to Microsoft Studios (which in and of itself is a totally nebulous, random thing), and they often highlight content from previously released games, but they are borderline illiterate, no one reads them, and the content are generally just iffy random screenshots. They have weekly sales, but the sales are buried and not promoted, and many of the same games are always on the sale rotation.

It seems like they're spending the right amount of time and money, but they're ot getting the kind of results that you'd hope for.

Yeah, compare PlayXBLA to the Playstation blog and it's incredible how much more professional Sony's is, both in content and presentation. PlayXBLA doesn't feel part of Microsoft at all, it feels like it's run by a couple of fans or something, which I guess is why they're not getting the readership. I mean, Nelson's website is read by thousands of people, whereas PlayXBLA is probably lucky to hit a hundred or two.

I can't really dislike them though, they have been responsible for SO MANY free games!

saunderez

Yeah, compare PlayXBLA to the Playstation blog and it's incredible how much more professional Sony's is, both in content and presentation. PlayXBLA doesn't feel part of Microsoft at all, it feels like it's run by a couple of fans or something, which I guess is why they're not getting the readership. I mean, Nelson's website is read by thousands of people, whereas PlayXBLA is probably lucky to hit a hundred or two.

I can't really dislike them though, they have been responsible for SO MANY free games!

I really think Major Nelson needs to get back into his old role of producing content. Believe it or not I liked Major's Minute. Either that or officially replace the guy if he's too busy with other stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I honestly thought it was a fan site until I started seeing the amount of exclusives they got.

It even looks like a baby blog.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Majornelson is their public face, but he doesn't really do anything to actually talk about, evaluate, or present their content. He's just an infodump. PlayXBLA is the official blog to Microsoft Studios (which in and of itself is a totally nebulous, random thing), and they often highlight content from previously released games, but they are borderline illiterate, no one reads them, and the content are generally just iffy random screenshots. They have weekly sales, but the sales are buried and not promoted, and many of the same games are always on the sale rotation.

It seems like they're spending the right amount of time and money, but they're ot getting the kind of results that you'd hope for.

I never minded the disjointed nature, when everything felt like actually being ON live was the major part of it all, but that seems to not be as true as I'd ever have hoped. It's evolved in a way where each part depends on the other, but not in a conscise, clean style.

Play XBLA being seperate from Xbox.com also feels kinda... eh. Nelson's blog should be a part of an overall Xbox Blog, and not 100% seperate. There's just so many odd "Wouldn't know they were here, unless you told me!" elements...

I do enjoy how PSN actually has other devs and guest show up on the blog itself. Getting to talk directly to them (especially the smaller companies that try to reply to EVERYTHING said) is one of the best things about Sony's structure. Next best being how they actually seem to hunt after deals and relationships for special sales and promotions. There seems to be a lot more sales on non-western content on PSN, which I really personally appreciate.

Though the lack of being able to have a set time for releases still seems like a major, almost comical downfall. The backend of XBL also seems smarter (Preorder DLC codes are loaded in advanced, don't have to wait for a mid-day update to get DLC for a game you picked up in the morning...), so neither side clearly wins out over the other overall.

I really hope they're all taking notes from each other... each side has something the other could learn from.

mujun

It was much better when Nelson tried to have everything that got released on the service up on his blog imo.

As long as they have some sort of category filter so I can sift through the shit I am happy to have a one stop shop for all my xbl updates and releases. Now, I have to use a couple of different sources to get anything approaching a full picture.

Could someone post a link to The Witcher 2 on the U.K xbox.com store page please/

I'm tempted by it while it is down to £19.99 for gold members. I know I can buy it cheaper, but I believe the GOD version is a smaller install size? Trouble is when I search for it on xbox.com it keeps sending me to an info page with a black background and no buy option. Thanks

Could someone post a link to The Witcher 2 on the U.K xbox.com store page please/

I'm tempted by it while it is down to £19.99 for gold members. I know I can buy it cheaper, but I believe the GOD version is a smaller install size? Trouble is when I search for it on xbox.com it keeps sending me to an info page with a black background and no buy option. Thanks

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...115-d8024e4d0855?downloadType=Game&noSplash=1

Looks about as big as a disk would be, if not bigger!

Daigoro

holy shit PlayXBLA is official? lol what a clusterfuck. i had zero idea...

and yeah Major Nelson is worthless. if they just did a real professional blog, they wouldnt need him at all.

how weird that they cant get this together. seems simple, but they are so half assed about it.

If anybody missed the Mafia 2 GoD for $10 last week...here is the Platinum Hits version for < $10. The PH version contains all the DLC as well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mafia-II-PH-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/17032831

thanks for posting. i think im going to grab this. didnt even know about the GoD sale last week... dunno how i missed that.

Vert boil

betaheader.jpg

http://www.thebehemoth.com/beta/

http://playxbla.com/want-to-be-in-the-battleblock-theater-beta/

Hear ye, Hear ye! We call volunteers for our BattleBlock Theater Closed Beta Test! We have 10,000 fresh backstage passes and we&#8217;re not afraid to give them out!! Do you want one? Can you smell it? Does this delight you? Are you not entertained? Click Read More to get the details straight from The Behemoth!

Will you sit idly by and watch as your friends do battle amongst each other!? - Cue the important information:

> This is a closed beta.

> Beta testing will take place in February or March, 2013.

> You must be at least 13 years old to participate. Under 18? Then you&#8217;ll need to have your parents help with registration.

> Individuals should register after reading all documents under Required Reading and be sure that they can fulfill the Prerequisites.

> 10,000 registrants will be selected to participate.

> Registration is ongoing until all beta codes have been distributed.

Are you interested? Okay! Here&#8217;s what I require from your person: You will need to read all the documents in the required reading section and be able to fulfill the prerequisites to qualify;

check out all the beta details and fill out the registration form HERE.

Top Bottom