• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

State of Decay is out this Wednesday.

1600pts.

Due to zombie saturation I ignored everything about this game up to now. I just checked a couple minutes of the IGN guys playing it that's up on YouTube and I was way off on what the game is all about. I thought it was a multiplayer focused people vs. zombie game and well...that's pretty much it.

Looks to be single-player focused and open world survival with a bunch of NPCs? Suppose I should actually pay more attention to it.

Karak

Due to zombie saturation I ignored everything about this game up to now. I just checked a couple minutes of the IGN guys playing it that's up on YouTube and I was way off on what the game is all about. I thought it was a multiplayer focused people vs. zombie game and well...that's pretty much it.

Looks to be single-player focused and open world survival with a bunch of NPCs? Suppose I should actually pay more attention to it.

Multi-character RPG lite, open world, zombie based, adventure game. Is probably the best way to describe it.
Add in some base building, resource management, and you should have a good description.

Just wanted to pop in and saw dayum CastleStorm is really, really fun. I've been playing it for a couple hours now and I'm really digging the blend of angry birds meets tower defense meets hack-n-slash. They give you so many options with which to attack(a ballista with different projectiles, soldiers to deploy, a controllable on-the-ground hero) that it might be overwhelming at first, but once you've got a grasp of the control scheme and weapon switching it's buttery goodness dispatching vikings and castles. The key for me was using the joystick(which feels just a bit too sensitive for my taste - wish there was a sensitivity setting) to dial in the area of attack and then using the d-pad to fine tune your aim(gotta get dem headshots). I'm not sure how far I am, didn't check for a %done before I turned off my 360 - but replay value seems really high on this as well. I haven't even bothered to do any of the missions on hard yet, and there is a bonus objective on every mission(such as not using your ballista/getting 20 headshots/15 kills with your hero). All in all it feels like 800 points well spent.

Yeah, Castlestorm is such a great game. Bought it right on launch.
Anyway, it has to be /and is/ a great game. First of all, was made by Hungarians, second - by makers of best pinball series ever.

Vert boil

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

The Walking Dead: Episode 1 - free (was 400)

Sleeping Dogs - 1200msp/15$ (was 2000/25$) US price, check your region.
--Gangland Style Pack - 80msp (was 160)
--Nightmare In North Point Pack - 280msp (was 560)
--Retro Triad Pack - 80msp (was 160)
--Square Enix Character Pack - 80msp (was 160)
--The Deep Undercover Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--The Dragon Master Pack - 320msp (was 640)
--The Drunken Fist Pack - 80msp (was 160)
--The GSP Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--The High Roller Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--The Law Enforcer Pack - 80msp (was 160)
--The Martial Arts Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--The Monkey King Pack - 80msp (was 160)
--The Movie Masters Pack - 80msp (was 160)
--The Police Protection Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--The Red Envelope Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--The Screen Legends Pack - 80msp (was 160)
--The Street Racer Pack - 160msp (was 320)
--The SWAT Pack - 160msp (was 320)
--The Tactical Soldier Pack - 80msp (was 160)
--The Triad Enforcer Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--The Wheels of Fury Pack - 160msp (was 320)
--The Year of the Snake - 280msp (was 560)
--The Zodiac Tournament Pack - 200msp (was 400)
--Top Dog Gold Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--Top Dog Silver Pack - 80msp (was 160)

-----

Alan Wake's American Nightmare - 800msp (was 1200)
Beyond Good & Evil HD - 400msp (was 800) UK only, part of the Ultimate game thing.
Boulder Dash-XL - 400msp (was 800)
Burnout Crash - 320msp (was 800)
Hybrid - 400msp (was 1200)

Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Batman: Arkham City - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

DarkStar One - 1200msp/15$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Mortal Kombat - 1600msp/20$ (was 4000/50$) US price, check your region

The First Templar - 1200msp/15$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Tropico 3 - 1200msp/15$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

----------

Released today,

banner.png

Dollar Dash
--Robbers Tool Kit - 160msp

Dabanton

Just wanted to pop in and saw dayum CastleStorm is really, really fun. I've been playing it for a couple hours now and I'm really digging the blend of angry birds meets tower defense meets hack-n-slash. They give you so many options with which to attack(a ballista with different projectiles, soldiers to deploy, a controllable on-the-ground hero) that it might be overwhelming at first, but once you've got a grasp of the control scheme and weapon switching it's buttery goodness dispatching vikings and castles. The key for me was using the joystick(which feels just a bit too sensitive for my taste - wish there was a sensitivity setting) to dial in the area of attack and then using the d-pad to fine tune your aim(gotta get dem headshots). I'm not sure how far I am, didn't check for a %done before I turned off my 360 - but replay value seems really high on this as well. I haven't even bothered to do any of the missions on hard yet, and there is a bonus objective on every mission(such as not using your ballista/getting 20 headshots/15 kills with your hero). All in all it feels like 800 points well spent.

I saw that game yesterday whilst I was browsing the marketplace. Loved the look of it. Will definitely DL that later.

eso76

Isn't "State of decay" that game formerly known as CLASS 3 Zombie game running on cryengine ?
Thought it would be one of those games that never see the light of day.
Looks very rough and unpolished, but I was always fascinated with the concept.

aku:jiki

Aw, what! A bunch of DLC bullshit and a game we just had on sale like 2 weeks ago? I was all primed to spend some points. :(

Aw, what! A bunch of DLC bullshit and a game we just had on sale like 2 weeks ago? I was all primed to spend some points. :(

They are still updating - at least they should be. Alan Wake and Sleeping Dogs are too disparate to be the only things on the list this week.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anything wrong with Simphony of The Night? Should I get it off PSN instead or I can go XBLA?
Any mandatory nasty "HD" filter I should be aware of?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Glad Sleeping Dogs junk is on sale, I just 100%d the base game and held out on the DLC. Edit: Year of the Snake is on MN's site but isn't on sale yet. In case anyone is wondering: Year of the Snake, Nightmare in North Point, and Zodiac Tournament are the only actual DLC. Only Year of the Snake and Nightmare in North Point have achievements. All the rest is costume or experience point boosters or weapons or cars.

And I guess the "Sunny Day" sale will be the summer sale?

Anything wrong with Simphony of The Night? Should I get it off PSN instead or I can go XBLA?

It's a 2D platformer with precision controls so you might prefer the PS3's d-pad. Also the PS3 version is the PS1 version, which means it'll be backwards compatible and playing on handhelds.

I own the 360 version. I got through it no problem. The game looks fine--you can play it "original" or "enhanced". Enhanced looks less shit than most enhanced modes. The games has borders by default. You can optionally stretch to 16:9 but I wouldn't.

Tony Hawk's American Zombie

SotN xbla allows you to freely resize the window but there is no true 16:9 ratio so the game will stretch, the filter just applies some sort of super eagle looking filter, optional.

It's a great game and I would buy it no matter what system.

Didn't know State of Decay was going to have RPG elements and stuff... That and the horrible upcoming sales (for me, I own all this week's games), combined with like every game in my backlog annoying me somehow, I need something to play and that just might be it. 1600MSP is going to sting but oh well.

Been playing From Dust today and that's been supremely disappointing. Another World is one of my all-time favorites but FD is just not very good at all. Decent idea with obnoxious and crap execution (imprecise controls, over-explainy to the point of being insulting).

drbond

Neo Member
They are still updating - at least they should be. Alan Wake and Sleeping Dogs are too disparate to be the only things on the list this week.

Underwhelming sale for sure (this week's limp Sleeping Dogs sale & next weeks' meh-sale for the Worms franchise).

Also...why not just permanently make Walking Dead Ep 1 free on xbox live (also PSN/PC)? Its given out like every 2-6 months it seems. Great way to get people to purchase all the remaining episodes afterwards.

I'm still hoarding MS points till whenever Microsoft gets a clue, and does another one of those crazy sales they did back a few months ago (daily specials over the course of one week, sometimes practically giving away Games on Demand & XBLA titles at some ridiculous prices).

Everyone vote for Choplifter. Good game, very underrated.
What?! That has to be some kind of sarcasm? Choplifter is deep fried ass, while Hard Corps is one of the finest 2D action games ever made. Anyone who votes for Choplifter should have their consoles taken away.

Also...why not just permanently make Walking Dead Ep 1 free on xbox live (also PSN/PC)? Its given out like every 2-6 months it seems. Great way to get people to purchase all the remaining episodes afterwards.
Huh. I was just operating under the assumption that it was free after that one sale, but I guess not. Why would they not do that? There's no way you can complete episode 1 and not want to know what's next.

GoxRx

Is 1200 a good price to pay for Sleeping Dogs? anyone here has some comments about the game? thanks in advance.

Karak

Didn't know State of Decay was going to have RPG elements and stuff... That and the horrible upcoming sales (for me, I own all this week's games), combined with like every game in my backlog annoying me somehow, I need something to play and that just might be it. 1600MSP is going to sting but oh well.

Its worth it. Can't wait to do a review on the game. Simply awesome.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Have to say that CastleStorm is an impressive-looking, fun to play game, and I only saw that gameplay trailer of it shortly before release.

Very impressed with it I must say.

daevv

Anything wrong with Symphony of The Night? Should I get it off PSN instead or I can go XBLA?

Just to add the XBLA version has 12 achievements for 200GS while the PSN version came out the first summer after the PS3 launch and doesn't have trophies.

Noogy

SotN xbla allows you to freely resize the window but there is no true 16:9 ratio so the game will stretch, the filter just applies some sort of super eagle looking filter, optional.

It's a great game and I would buy it no matter what system.

Yep, I thought the port was fine aside from the missing 16:9 lock. Still one of the best games ever made.

Daigoro

Sleeping Dogs for 15$ sweet, glad I waited. now to figure out what dlc is worth the price.

kind of tempted on Tropico 3 as well. Got too many games to play right now though.

State of Decay and Sleepy Dogs are getting bought tomorrow.

FerranMG

How Sleeping Dogs' DLC?
Worth getting? I liked the game quite a bit, but finished it with not much desire of keep playing it.

How Sleeping Dogs' DLC?
Worth getting? I liked the game quite a bit, but finished it with not much desire of keep playing it.

If you don't desire to keep playing it I'm not sure if the DLC will change your mind.

That said, the Nightmare at North Point pack seemed to be the most well received in terms of quality. Year of the Snake looked alright as well. I'd suggest you check those two out before the rest but it also depends on what you enjoy. If you want a bunch of hand-to-hand combat go ahead and check out The Zodiac Tournament since that's a good chunk of that.

Edit: Looking at the few reviews none of the DLC is super well received, honestly. But mostly because you don't get much content for the price. At half off most of these are more reasonable. But again, it's going to depend on what you want in terms of racing, fighting, new story, etc. And the majority of the DLC listed is also just stuff like new cars, costumes, and weapons I believe.

Top Bottom