• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It's been an issue since the move to currency. Not sure when they'll fix it, but I hope it's soon. It's becoming very annoying that I can no longer buy and queue up games/content from my phone due to this.

Yeah, it's really annoying because I normally buy shit on my computer then pick it up on the console at a later time. I pretty much never touch the store on the console.

mlb 2k13 should be $10 next week; so i was considering it, but seeing as how i have a ps3 as well, i should skip on that game and just pick up a version of 'the show' when i get a hankering to play some hardball, correct? the show still much better than mlb 2k? i'd like to have an xbox baseball game but..if the show is leagues better i'd feel dumb getting mlb.

also how's that nicktoons game? does it have any season or otherwise lasting modes in it? its only gonna be $3 so i'd consider that in the meantime i suppose.

sorry about the double post, didn't realize i just posted here >_<

Jhoan

I really hope that Harley Quinn's Revenge is part of the Warner Bros. sale. I've been dying to check it out but based on tons of GAF impressions, many people said to wait for it to be on sale because it wasn't worth it at its asking price.

MarkusRJR

How are Mercury Hg, Awesomenauts, Dungeon Defenders, I Am Alive, and Swarm?

Just like Steam sales I can never resist. Just bought 3 games for $17 dollars.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How are Mercury Hg, Awesomenauts, Dungeon Defenders, I Am Alive, and Swarm?

Just like Steam sales I can never resist. Just bought 3 games for $17 dollars.

Mercury Hg: Very tough, and near impossible for one of the achievements, but very fulfilling and great with custom soundtracks. Also TONS of content. Easily the best of the lot you identified.

Awesomenauts: A fun enough 2D Platformy MOBA but I think the console version is like 9823498337489234978 patches behind the Steam version so you probably don't want to buy on 360

I Am Alive: A weird game. It's one part Assassin's Creed style wall-climbing and traversal, a weird plot, sort of ugly gritty graphics, and a combat system that's more of a puzzle than an action-oriented combat. It's unique. I never finished it.

Swarm: I liked this a lot more than most people. It's a score-attack driven fast-paced platform slash obstacle course type game with a Pikmin-style herd. There's a REALLY big difficulty ramp about 4-5 levels in unless you figure out the best way to get a good score, but once you figure it out it's pretty fun.

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg
boxartlg.jpg

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse - 15$ (1200msp), 381MB.

WSOP: Full House Pro - F2P, 1.1GB.

Daigoro

Interested in this. Anyone tried it?

think it was in Beta for Canadians, so maybe someone here has tried it, otherwise it just came out today, so no.

made by the same guys that made Full House Poker, so it should be very similar. F2P though. hope there are cool live events to do. we'll see.

ill be checking it out this morning in a few hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzdw9De4yko

found some beta footage. it looks almost completely identical to Full House Poker. so if you've played that, you know what your getting pretty much.

you get "free chips" every time you log on with this one, as per F2P norms, so i guess they wont let your bankroll go negative like in all the other poker games. not a real problem if you dont bleed chips and throw your money away chasing every dumb hand of course.

Rlan

think it was in Beta for Canadians, so maybe someone here has tried it, otherwise it just came out today, so no.

made by the same guys that made Full House Poker, so it should be very similar. F2P though. hope there are cool live events to do. we'll see.

ill be checking it out this morning in a few hours.

Actually it's a completely different team, Pipeworks Software, who are doing WSOP Full House Pro, but making a game all Avatar based will kind of look the same regardless. The original was half Microsoft Studios (The UNO sector I think) and Krome Studios.

Daigoro

Actually it's a completely different team, Pipeworks Software, who are doing WSOP Full House Pro, but making a game all Avatar based will kind of look the same regardless. The original was half Microsoft Studios (The UNO sector I think) and Krome Studios.

oops my mistake then. i know they were advertising this game on the dashboard of Full House, so i guess i just assumed that they were the guys handling the new game. i thought i had read this somewhere else as well... maybo not.

it looks almost identical though, except for the menus and some new locations/tables etc.

edit:

actually, there is a lot of stuff in common here, agressive/submissive betting actions, chip tricks, etc. a bit more than they just look alike because they have avatars in them. so either this game completely ripped off a lot of the in game flavor from FHP (certainly possible), or they have some license or dev stuff in common with eachother.

and it's called WSOP "Full House Pro". so these games definitely appear to be related in more ways than just being poker games with avatars in them, but as you say, not made by the same guys i guess.

edit 2: yeah watching the beta footage and the game has the same exact in-game sound effects and announcer voice. how are these games not developed by the same people?

this is like almost exactly the same game with F2P stuff added in and some new props/game modes.

aku:jiki

Some of my friends have been playing the WSOP beta and from what I've heard it's a fine and functional poker game but is nothing special.

Mercury Hg: Very tough, and near impossible for one of the achievements, but very fulfilling and great with custom soundtracks. Also TONS of content. Easily the best of the lot you identified.

Awesomenauts: A fun enough 2D Platformy MOBA but I think the console version is like 9823498337489234978 patches behind the Steam version so you probably don't want to buy on 360

I Am Alive: A weird game. It's one part Assassin's Creed style wall-climbing and traversal, a weird plot, sort of ugly gritty graphics, and a combat system that's more of a puzzle than an action-oriented combat. It's unique. I never finished it.

Swarm: I liked this a lot more than most people. It's a score-attack driven fast-paced platform slash obstacle course type game with a Pikmin-style herd. There's a REALLY big difficulty ramp about 4-5 levels in unless you figure out the best way to get a good score, but once you figure it out it's pretty fun.
This post is lies, Dungeon Defenders is the best game in that list. Mercury Hg is second best, Swarm is a lot more fun than everyone thinks and Awesomenauts and the MOBA genre can eat a dick. I Am Alive is meh.

Also, shut up TTK.

excowboy

I Am Alive is meh.

Was looking forward to playing this after picking it up in the New Year and it was a real disappointment. It has some great ideas, like the combat and climbing mechanics, but they are badly implemented and it controls badly to boot. It was one of those games where when I died, it always felt unfair. I'd give it a miss unless you like frustrating gameplay.

That said, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who enjoyed it - I really wanted to!

Vert boil

Does anyone know if the Mass Effect Minecraft skins are still being released today? Can't find anything about it now.

Occasionally they can be quite slow with updating things. Today is one of those days.

Not up atm but it will pop up at some point, still waiting on the Castle of Illusion demo as well.

edit, Castle of Illusion demo is up now.

WiZzYx

Neo Member
Was looking forward to playing this after picking it up in the New Year and it was a real disappointment. It has some great ideas, like the combat and climbing mechanics, but they are badly implemented and it controls badly to boot. It was one of those games where when I died, it always felt unfair. I'd give it a miss unless you like frustrating gameplay.

That said, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who enjoyed it - I really wanted to!
I enjoyed a lot. It's a good game.

Raptor

Bought SoTN for $33.75 Pesos equivalent to $3 Dlls around here.

God damn glad I waited for a sale, this is almost stealing.

Daigoro

yeah WSOP is the exact same game as Full House Poker with new trappings. but somehow it runs like ass. not sure how that works.

oh well, its free. im not complaining.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Awesome, can't go wrong with a F2P poker game.
I'll check it out.

I don't see why anyone would want to. I wouldn't recommend it.
Working together as a team is crucial to that game and a big part of the fun.

You say that like there is no way that a random person online would want to progress through the game. From my understanding this isn't a game that you can get through without working together.
I ask though cause I doubt anyone on my fiends list has this game or is currently playing it.

Lima

You say that like there is no way that a random person online would want to progress through the game. From my understanding this isn't a game that you can get through without working together.
I ask though cause I doubt anyone on my fiends list has this game or is currently playing it.

Then why not add a few gaffers that also bought the game on sale? I know I have.

It's not so much the working together part, it's the voice chat and communication that's crucial.
I know that it would be hard to find a group through matchmaking that all have a mic connected.

If you don't know anyone, hit the forums and get a group together. It's worth it, trust me.

Some of my friends have been playing the WSOP beta and from what I've heard it's a fine and functional poker game but is nothing special.

This post is lies, Dungeon Defenders is the best game in that list. Mercury Hg is second best, Swarm is a lot more fun than everyone thinks and Awesomenauts and the MOBA genre can eat a dick. I Am Alive is meh.

Also, shut up TTK.

:lol

Regardless of my thoughts on Dungeon Defenders, mercury Hg is one of my favourite things on XBLA. Put a custom soundtrack on and it's just incredible. Both the game and the DLCs would be my absolute first choice purchase from this sale.

I'm about half way through and I don't mind it at all. I might not be as far in as some who dislike it so maybe that is why my opinion differs?
All in all I am happy I bought it.

Montresor

Wow. Monaco is something else. Can a gaffer explain what makes it so good? All I see in the demo is boring top-down stealth and an incredibly difficult to visualize/comprehend vision-cone-system.

god WSOP Pro is one of the worst optimized games i've ever played on 360. it stutters like a motherfucker online (and i have the most expensive residential internet i can get from cox) and loves to freeze at random times. i'm never pausing midgame again as this game seems to love dying on you as soon as you open the dash or any menu when you're playing online, its ridiculous

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wow. Monaco is something else. Can a gaffer explain what makes it so good? All I see in the demo is boring top-down stealth and an incredibly difficult to visualize/comprehend vision-cone-system.

From what I have read and heard on podcasts it gets incredibly intense and hilarious when you have a full team working together. Each player has special skills, the vision cone keeps you on your toes and the soundtrack is awesome.

I have only played the first couple of levels solo and it was excellent.

is there any mode you can play with friends in WSOP pro? i doubt it but playing with randoms who always go all in is getting a little annoying.

also what is this shit when the hand is over, where you can select what cards yous how everyone else. is there a point to that (xp bonus for a certain selection) or what?

Daigoro

yeah it's strange how poorly WSOP runs. its the same exact game as FHP, but it somehow runs 10x worse?

makes no sense. they'll probably get it worked out though.

is there any mode you can play with friends in WSOP pro? i doubt it but playing with randoms who always go all in is getting a little annoying.

also what is this shit when the hand is over, where you can select what cards yous how everyone else. is there a point to that (xp bonus for a certain selection) or what?

huh, i was reading on another forum someone was complaining that people were playing too tight instead of going all in like they did on previous games where chips were bascially free. i was thinking how great that would be to have a free online poker game where chips actually meant something and you wouldnt just shove all in with nothing all the time.

guess that's not the case? maybe better in the higher stakes tables? that or people spend real money on fake chips and then continute to play shitty...

you should be able to play with friends in non ranked ring games. im sure there is a way. shit, i was playing a heads up tournament and there was a button on the menu to invite a friend, so there is definitely a way. just do some diggin in the match menus.

Brakara

It's part of the metagame when playing real poker (show one card to indicate you bluffed even if you didn't - or if someone thinks you'll show if you didn't bluff show if you bluffed - or... you get the idea). Probably no point in a free poker game where everybody goes all in all the time though.

I've noticed a pattern in that all F2P games run like complete arse on 360. Not sure what the issue is, but from CC2 to Spartacus to Poker, they all have one thing in common - they run like complete shit.

The answer is that it really isn't that good. It's a stylish and charming but shallow and simplistic stealth game. Good for a few hours worth of fun, especially in co-op with friends who know what they're doing, but nowhere near a rival to proper stealth games like your Thiefs and your MGSes and whatnot. Like a snickers bar versus a steak, pretty much.

It can get intense and funny, like Truelize noted, but I don't feel like that's because of something the game does. The intensity comes from the weaker parts of the game; there are situations where it is literally impossible to sneak past guards and all you can do is just run straight through the sensors, in full view of the guards, and hope you can grab the loot and get around a corner and hide in a bush before they kill you. The intensity and hilarity comes from situations like that, not from sublime game design.

I've noticed a pattern in that all F2P games run like complete arse on 360. Not sure what the issue is, but from CC2 to Spartacus to Poker, they all have one thing in common - they run like complete shit.
Ascend ran all right! It's going to end up being the best one, IMO.

Rlan

Somehow it's 1.1GB compared to even Castle of Illusion, which is a decent 381MB. I guess loading all that Avatar Data taking its toll.

Also a lot of the freemium games, Crash Course 2 and Happy Wars especially, download a load of extra content and stuff regularly, which probably doesn't help at all.

Just remember that this is going to be a free game for Gold members later this year.
That's correct. At this point I would guess Halo 3 is going to be the finale in that promotion, so probably mid December.

The multiplayer community is gonna get a huge boost, I loved Halo 3 multi. BTB on Sandtrap was a blast.

I've got some free codes up for grabs! I was going to put them in this post but it's always lame to see some lurkers get them in silence while everyone else is sadfaced, so screw that. PM if you want a free code for any of the following; one code per poster to keep this fair.

- CastleStorm
- Charlie Murder
- Mark of the Ninja
- Minecraft
- State of Decay (2x)

Grisby

I've got some free codes up for grabs! I was going to put them in this post but it's always lame to see some lurkers get them in silence while everyone else is sadfaced, so screw that. PM if you want a free code for any of the following; one code per poster to keep this fair.

- CastleStorm
- Charlie Murder
- Mark of the Ninja
- Minecraft
- State of Decay (2x)
Cool cool, pm'ed ya about State of Decay.

edit- Also, Castlestorm is pretty freaking awesome to who ever gets that code. Definitely one of the underrated XBLA titles this year.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

- CastleStorm
- Charlie Murder
- Mark of the Ninja
- Minecraft
- State of Decay (2x)

Thanks for doing this :) I'll also agree to that "Castlestorm is awesome, anyone who gets is lucky!" Camp, haha.

- CastleStorm
- Charlie Murder
- Mark of the Ninja
- Minecraft
- State of Decay (2x)

Awesome thanks, sent a pm for Castlestorm.

- CastleStorm
- Charlie Murder
- Mark of the Ninja
- Minecraft
- State of Decay (2x)

PM'ed for Mark of the Ninja. Thanks for doing this!

Top Bottom