• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLIG / PC (Steam, GamersGate): Cthulhu Saves The World (240pts / $3) - Insanity, Ho!

Mrbob

This game looks interesting. Going to have to give the demo a shot!

Indie sales sound really bad though. Only 900 sales in a day and it will lock up the top spot in the dashboard? MS needs to give indie games a bigger focus.

Jonnyram

Mrbob said:
Indie sales sound really bad though. Only 900 sales in a day and it will lock up the top spot in the dashboard? MS needs to give indie games a bigger focus.
Devs also need to pimp their games more. That's a large part of the problem.

Mrbob

How do they pimp their games better, though? I don't remember ever seeing one advertised on the front dashboard. Not even sure if MS allows for this. MS doesn't do the service any favors either by not allowing achievements. Even if it is something small like 6 for 100 points it would help sales. Xbox 360 gamers love to get chieves.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
http://zeboyd.com/2011/01/04/first-3-days-of-sales-for-cthulhu-saves-the-world/

Cthulhu Saves the World Sales data:

Date – Purchases/Trials (Conversion Rate)
12/30 – 897/1927 (46.55%)
12/31 – 1090/3469 (31.42%)
1/1 – 642/1942 (33.06%)
1/2 – 571/1700 (33.59%)
1/3 – 437/1331 (32.83%)

Total - 3637/10369 (35.08%)

Hopefully, I’ll get data for a few more days later today. EDIT: Added Jan 2nd & 3rd data.

In other news, we’ll be releasing a patch for Cthulhu Saves the World in a few days. This will just fix a few bugs we’ve discovered since release – it won’t add any new content. We may do a patch later on that adds some new content – haven’t decided yet.

Posted by admin at 11:53 am

2nd day sales (Last day of the year) were good too considering it was released so late. If this had been released two weeks earlier like originally planned then it looks like it would've reached the 10k goal easily.

Consider this too, I bet some of the people who downloaded the trial are using smurf accounts from another country and they had no way of getting points on their profile.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Opening post now has reviews listed, with excerpts from each.

Also, a link to the Soundtrack (actually, 2 links!)

Forum Moderators, could you please add the |OT| to the Thread title for me, after the price? Thanks!

bryehn

This will be the next indie game I buy, based solely on the fact it's from the Breath of Death VII team. Hard as hell to come up with 300 "spare" points though, which is prolly why I played BoD7 months late too.

I really love this game and will be talking about it soon on the Radio Free Nintendo podcast. It is a great tribute to 16-bit RPGs while incorporating many modern touches to make the game faster and more enjoyable than those classics. It feels accelerated in general -- Cthulu has a very fast dash speed, and you gain levels quickly. Battles involve a lot of button presses but also tend to finish within a minute or two.

The best part, however, is the writing. It's very rare for any video game to make me laugh out loud, and this one has done it several times. Combine that with great pixel art and truly wonderful, retro-inspired music, and you have a great RPG that is longer than you'd expect for a $3 indie game. It reminds me of both FF4 and Guadia Quest (from Retro Game Challenge).

The fundraiser for the enhanced version of Cthulhu Saves the World is over and was an overwhelming success! The grand total was $6,898 – that’s over twice as much as our goal! Thank you, once again, everyone who contributed and helped to spread the word.

The enhanced version of Cthulhu Saves the World will be available as a free patch to all owners of the XBox 360 version, in addition to being the default PC version. Here’s what you have to look forward to:

Cthulhu’s Angels game mode with a new group of playable characters (some new, some modified), new plot & dialogue, new monsters, etc.

An option menu (controls, volume adjust, turn off battle music, and so on)

New harder difficulty

Unlockable Character bromides (art)

Director’s Commentary (question marks scattered through the game that you can examine for information about the game’s creation)

Monster compendium

Text for each monster

Additional dialogue and descriptions in maps (bookshelves, tombstones, etc.)

Extra Optional Superhard dungeon

Various bug fixes

Rebalanced many character abilities & monster stats

…and probably some stuff I forgot.

Our current goal for the enhanced version and PC release is the end of March. Wish us luck!

http://zeboyd.com/2011/02/22/cthulhu-saves-the-world-enhanced-feature-list/

I totally suggested sexy Lunar-esque bromides, woo.

Gaaraz

My memory sucks, but I think this could be the only game I've ever played that often makes me laugh out loud - love it!

Still playing the trial on XBL - it's long huh? Just how long is this game? I kind of want something maybe... I don't know, if it's 40 hours I won't ever complete it, if it's too short it's not worth buying... 5 hours+ of gameplay and I'm in though.

Loving that it actually fixes a lot of the broken old school RPG mechanics too, like the way it limits battles per area to encourage exploration, and always gives you full health so you don't waste your time outside of battles healing.

I'll tell you now though, of this sort of game, something with old school JRPG mechanics - if this is the last one I ever play I think I'd be happy with that. Don't think any of the old games like this would stand up so well today like this does. Love the music too.

blizeH said:
My memory sucks, but I think this could be the only game I've ever played that often makes me laugh out loud - love it!

Still playing the trial on XBL - it's long huh? Just how long is this game? I kind of want something maybe... I don't know, if it's 40 hours I won't ever complete it, if it's too short it's not worth buying... 5 hours+ of gameplay and I'm in though.

Yeah its 5 hours-ish, maybe a bit longer. Definitely not 40.

Gaaraz

Brilliant, thanks! This could well be the first XBLA game I ever complete then... and I own most of the popular ones (Braid, Shadow Complex, Trials, Castle Crashers, Limbo etc)

Gaaraz

Actually, I only just got around to playing this some more and honestly I found the dungeon I was in (chapter 2) quite confusing to navigate. Is this a problem throughout the game? If it's more of that I can see myself getting bored/frustrated quite quickly.

Shame as this game is actually awesome, I just have zero attention span/patience lately which sucks.

The dungeons are really mazey the whole way through, and they only get mazier. I wouldn't say they were confusing, though, if you just stick to the wall you can get through them easy enough (though without a lot of treasure.)

A lot of the time I tended to get to a junction, save, and then just try both routes so I didn't forget my way back and get lost.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
blizeH said:
Actually, I only just got around to playing this some more and honestly I found the dungeon I was in (chapter 2) quite confusing to navigate. Is this a problem throughout the game? If it's more of that I can see myself getting bored/frustrated quite quickly.

Shame as this game is actually awesome, I just have zero attention span/patience lately which sucks.

The fact that you can actually complete all the random battles on a map, for hassle-free exploration, helps tons. I still have yet to complete this game (Just finished the "town dungeon" area), but going by Breath of Death, I can say maze elements will probably stay pretty strong, and you do have to be in a certain mood to complete them, but it's worth it in the end.

Save anywhere helps loads, though. It makes the throwback to this kinda classic stage design more bareable. I've not been as stressed by these dungeons as I was, say, in the Phantasy Star series, for example.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
blizeH said:

Yeah, the mazes and the multi-layered dungeons (going over and under the bridges) are all over the game, one of the things I preferred in Breath of Death VII was that the mazes weren't nearly as complicated. Luckily, you can get rid of all random encounters in an area, which makes things much more manageable. But I spent a lot of time lost in the dungeons I'll tell ya.

Gaaraz

Many thanks guys, shame to hear that, but like you said the fact it limits battles will help drag me through this, also yeah, no doubt it's worth it for the awesome dialogue etc :)

CSTW:SHECEADDPAFH – PEGYCE (WA!) official press release:

Zeboyd Games is proud to announce the upcoming arrival of Cthulhu Saves the World: Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector’s Edition (without Avatars!)

In 2010, Cthulhu stole our hearts and our sanity with the release of the retro parody RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World on the XBox Live Indie Games service. Now, in 2011, The Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector’s Edition (without Avatars!) version of Cthulhu Saves the World – or CSTW:SHECEADDPAFH – PEGYCE (WA!) for short – will offer a number of exciting improvements over the original version including:

Cthulhu’s Angels game mode – Cthulhu is too lazy to save the world so he talks a bunch of beautiful women into saving it for him! Features new dialogue, new playable characters (Molly the Were-Zompire! Elonalina the generic healer! Dark Knight Umi! Low level October!), new music, new abilities, and much, much more!

Director’s Commentary mode – Specially marked commentary icons scattered throughout the game tell the inside story on how one of pop culture’s most popular cosmic monstrosities became an RPG hero for great justice!

Rebalanced Gameplay – Many abilities and monsters have been rebalanced for even silkier smooth RPG gameplay! Plus a new Insanity difficulty mode and new super-hard bonus dungeon have been added to challenge even the best players ability to grind out higher LVs (because they’re really not as skilled as they like to brag)!

Unlockable Character Bromides – Due to the frothing demand for sexy Cthulhu art!

More jokes – F’tghan!

An obscure hint to our next game – Hey, why aren’t we working on that now instead?

More options – Toggle the running button, then untoggle it! Endless fun!

Great value – All previously released paid DLC bundled for free (note, previously released paid DLC does not exist)

Longer credits – To thank all the froody guys and gals at Kickstarter who helped make this project a reality!

Celebrity cameos – Cthulhu, the dog of e from Xbox Live! Robert Khoo of Penny Arcade (the benefits of being a fundraising benefactor)!

Plus all of the great features already included in the original version of Cthulhu Saves the World!

Take a look at what the press are saying about Cthulhu Saves the World:

Eurogamer (8/10) – “At this price, you’d be a gibbering madman not to give it a go.”
Joystiq (Indie Gem) – “It’s rare to find a game that is both entertaining and genuinely funny, and so far Cthulhu Saves the World is both.”
RPGamer (4/5) – “Zeboyd has a knack for crafting fantastic, witty lines for all the game’s characters…”
RPGFan (87%) – “…most important of all, it’s a fun game to play.”
HonestGamers (8/10) – “Loyal Lovecraftians will enjoy things like battling Dagon in the eerie town of Innsmouth, while everyone else will appreciate fighting giant zombie whales in hidden caves. Mostly, though, you’ll just enjoy a clever, witty game.”
Gamesradar (9/10) – “Honestly? This is too good to be stuck in the 360 indie game store.”
IGN (Never reviewed the game) – “. . .”

CSTW:SHECEADDPAFH – PEGYCE (WA!) ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn is currently scheduled for release in Spring of 2011 for the PC and 360.

The original version of Cthulhu Saves the World is available now for 240 Microsoft Points ($3 USD) in all countries where XBox Live Indie Games are supported. Owners of the 360 version will be automatically upgraded for free to the enhanced version when released. The PC release ($3 USD) will include the enhancements by default when the PC version is released this Spring.

For press inquiries about Cthulhu Saves the World or Zeboyd Games, contact Robert Boyd at rdespair@gmail.com or visit our website at http://zeboyd.com

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
OP updated with new info, thanks for posting Hades! That's a fantastic update, and anything with Bromides is an instant win! :lol:

GhaleonEB

Great value – All previously released paid DLC bundled for free (note, previously released paid DLC does not exist)

Take a look at what the press are saying about Cthulhu Saves the World:

IGN (Never reviewed the game) – “. . .”​

:lol

I only got a ways into this before getting sucked into other games, and decided to hold off on playing through until the updates are out. That's a nice package.

Gaaraz

Any news on the new update?

Also, sad to hear the Lacrosse games encouraged users to put low scores on other games (including this one) which has shunted it out of the top games list. Don't think I've rated a game, but this will be getting 5 stars for sure! My girlfriend really isn't a fan of video games at all and even she loves it :)

Gowans

Yeah i'm waiting for the update before my playthrough.

I was gona make a thread on that Lacrosse down vote stuff, but I'm not sure where I stand on it. Is it there fault or the systems?

Sew

Every time I see this thread, I forget to download it later. This time, the Xbox is next to me. Queued!

First look at one of the Lunar-esque hidden bromides:

OctoberBromide1.png

Approved for Steam release, coming hopefully this month.

Possibly with Breath of Death VII:

Thought of an idea of how to port BoDVII to the PC without too much work. Think we might just end up selling a CSTW + BoDVII combo for $3.

Basically, what I'm going to do is create a copy of Cthulhu Saves the World (which works on PC) and then add the BoDVII assets to it.

That should be a lot easier than trying to get the original BoDVII code working in XNA 4.0 and then working on the PC.

http://twitter.com/werezompire/

Ricker

Is the update up on the 360?..I played up to the
spaceship/cow thing and stopped
but I liked it and I`m waiting for the patch to finish it up...

Ricker said:
Is the update up on the 360?..I played up to the
spaceship/cow thing and stopped
but I liked it and I`m waiting for the patch to finish it up...
I would double check that the save is compatible before you update, the update is gonna be pretty hefty and change a whole bunch of stuff so there could be issues with save files.

Or there might not be, but do check first!

Update won't be out for a while yet, though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
HadesGigas said:
Cthulhu Saves The World makes it's network television debut on Supernatural:

Holy shit, I think my g/f mentioned that show but I've never watched it... that's even cooler than when they showed a SNES and a copy of FF2US on Chuck.

Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII combo pack coming to Steam & Gamersgate on July 13 for $3

Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII: The Beginning will be available on the PC for the first time on July 13th, 2011. The two games will be bundled together in a convenient combo pack that will sell for a mere $3 from Steam and Gamersgate. Friends and family of the developers attribute the low price to cosmic insanity, induced by the developer’s prolonged exposure to Lovecraftian monstrosities.

Cthulhu Saves the World:

The lord of insanity, Cthulhu was all set to plunge the world into insanity and destruction when his powers were sealed by a mysterious sorcerer. The only way for him to break the curse is to become a true hero. Save the world to destroy it in an epic parody RPG journey of redemption, romance, and insanity!

Not content to merely repackage existing content and sell it at an insanely low price, the PC version of Cthulhu Saves the World will feature numerous improvements over the original XBox 360 release. Dubbed the Cthulhu Saves the World: Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector’s Edition (without Avatars!) or CSTW:SHECEADDPAFH – PEGYCE (WA!) for short, the new version will include such features as:

Cthulhu’s Angels game mode – Cthulhu is too lazy to save the world so he talks a bunch of beautiful women into saving it for him! This remix mode features new dialogue, new playable characters (Molly the Were-Zompire! Elonalina the generic healer! Dark Knight Umi! Low level October!), new music, new abilities, and much, much more!

Director’s Commentary mode – Specially marked commentary icons scattered throughout the game tell the inside story on how one of pop culture’s most popular cosmic monstrosities became an RPG hero for great justice!

Rebalanced Gameplay – Many abilities and monsters have been rebalanced for even silkier smooth RPG gameplay! Plus a new Insanity difficulty mode and new super-hard bonus dungeon have been added to challenge even the best players ability to grind out higher LVs (because they’re really not as skilled as they like to brag)!

Unlockable Character Bromides – Due to the frothing demand for sexy Cthulhu art!

As well as all of the great features of the original release such as:

Old school RPG style mixed with modern design sensibilities!
Inflict insanity upon your opponents for fun and profit!
6-10 hour quest with unlockable game modes & difficulty levels for increased replay value.
All of the great features players know and love from Breath of Death VII: The Beginning have returned – fast-paced gameplay, combo system, random encounter limits, branching LV-Ups, and more!

These enhancements will also be made available to owners of the 360 version of the game via a free patch released at or near the PC version’s release date.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning:

Resurrect the classic era of RPGs with the retro parody RPG, Breath of Death VII: The Beginning. Join Dem the Skeleton Knight, Sara the ghost historian, Lita the vampire techie, and Erik the zombie prince as they explore an undead world in search of the secrets of the past. Laugh! Cry! Laugh some more!

Key features:

Old school RPG style mixed with modern design sensibilities!
Fast-paced turn based combat!
4-6 hour quest with multiple game modes & difficulty levels for added replay value.
Easy to understand branching character customization system with frequent LV-Ups.
Multi-character unite techniques and combo break system for added depth!
PC enhancements – Save anywhere functionality, new Easy mode, and new customization options.

Check out what the press are saying about our RPGs:

“It’s rare to find a game that is both entertaining and genuinely funny, and so far Cthulhu Saves the World is both.”
-Joystiq

“So when I say Cthulhu Saves The World is already one of my favourite games of 2011 you can be sure I’ve not been swayed by its astonishingly precise pastiche of early 1990s JRPG cliches, strident synth music, chunky menus and all. It’s simply a really clever, hugely enjoyable game, and it’s as much honest tribute as cheeky spoof.”
-Eurogamer

“Breath of Death VII: The Beginning is a real surprise. It’s an RPG that feels like it was a classic from back in the day, but it doesn’t have any RPG hang-ups.”
-WorthPlaying

“For an RPG whose sheer fun factor is on par with a lot of the $30 to $60 games people shell out multiple bills for, it’s an extreme bargain.”
-RPGFan Breath of Death VII review

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning/Cthulhu Saves the World
-Winner of RPGamer’s 2010 Best Downloadable award

For press inquiries and media assets for Cthulhu Saves the World, Breath of Death VII: The Beginning and Zeboyd Games, contact Robert Boyd at rdespair@gmail.com or visit our website at http://zeboyd.com

http://zeboyd.com/2011/06/23/cthulh...oming-to-steam-gamersgate-on-july-13th-for-3/

Excellent. But I actually wish that Zeboyd was charging more for this. I'd easily pay $10.00 for the package.

And hopefully we'll see steamworks features (achievements, cloud saves, etc.) patched in the future.

clockpunk

Hah! What are the odds - after all these months I finally decided to try the demo for CStW from the Indie Games Marketplace, and this thread rises from the dust of pages past! Tis a sign. Must buy, right away!

Top Bottom