• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in spring 2010 update...16gb cap? smh

mooooose

Awesome. I'll just buy a flash drive then. It'll be a way better memory card, and I can put a game with DLC on it. So awesome.

K' Dash

success_baby.jpg

Smokey

Are you guys missing this ?

Upon inserting a blank USB storage device, "consumers are offered two choices: 'Configure now' or 'Customize'." The "Configure now" option will use "the entire device capacity, up to the maximum of 512 MB plus 16 GB" meaning, regardless of the overall size of the device you're using, the Xbox will only enable 16 GB of usable, non-system storage. The "Customize" option will allow you to "preserve some pre-existing, non-console data on the device" such as music.

So those saying they have 40GB HDs around..you won't be able to use ALL of it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wounder if this will open up an exploit of any sorts. While no one acted on it, it should of been very possible to put copies of the games Microsoft put on some Memory Units that can't be moved but work on any 360 plugged into, onto the datel memory units and act the same.

It may of been possible to alter the keys of those files and some other files to give you the right to boot up any XBLA demo as the full game, and even plausible you could spoof the keys into letting you boot an installed game as if you had the disk in the drive.

Most likely the main reason Microsoft locked up Detels device, but thats all speculation.

kaskade said:
Upon inserting a blank USB storage device, "consumers are offered two choices: 'Configure now' or 'Customize'." The "Configure now" option will use "the entire device capacity, up to the maximum of 512 MB plus 16 GB" meaning, regardless of the overall size of the device you're using, the Xbox will only enable 16 GB of usable, non-system storage. The "Customize" option will allow you to "preserve some pre-existing, non-console data on the device" such as music.
So I guess we can't just use a 250gb external hard drive. At least it's a step in the right direction.

LOL. I knew it is too good to be true. So max you can have is 32 GB (with two drives).

Beaulieu

kaskade said:
So I guess we can't just use a 250gb external hard drive. At least it's a step in the right direction.

So ill be able to use multiple USB keys for 16gb each or will it detect ive aleady used 16gb on another usb key and wont let me use multiple ones ?

engadget is reporting a 16GB data cap, if I am reading this correctly?

Are we gazing onto the cusp of a new horizon, one where our Xbox 360 storage needs aren't shackled to overpriced proprietary hard drives? Probably not quite. Our best friends at Joystiq have managed to obtain documents (corroborated with multiple sources) showing that the folks in Redmond are mulling over an option to enable USB mass storage support for its game machine. To elaborate, that means downloaded Xbox Live and Arcade games, DLC, other associated game files, and even installed disc-based games can be saved to an external HDD of your choosing. The documents further elaborate that the storage device itself must be 1GB or more; a system partition of 512MB is required, and by default beyond that the consumer partition (i.e. your games and the like) will occupy the remainder of the drive or 16GB, whichever is smaller -- and unfortunately, that's as much as you're gonna get. This could be another way for Microsoft to, alongside the rumored Valhalla motherboard, trim some fat for a slimmer future... but given the size constraints, we're guessing it's more likely to be a more spacious alternative to Memory Units than the main HDD itself. Word has it the feature will be rolled out in a Spring 2010 firmware update -- that is, if Microsoft keeps to its paperwork here. Excited? We are. Read the full documentation over at Joystiq.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/18/xbox-360-getting-usb-storage-support-in-spring-2010-firmware-upd/

Rich!

Smokey said:
Are you guys missing this ?

Still good news.

You can get an 8gb USB stick for the fraction of the cost of a 512mb XB360 MU. And that's more than enough for a good amount of arcade games and profiles.

Zoe

Is there really enough bandwidth across a USB connection to play ripped games well? (or at least better than playing of the disc)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So you can only use a maximum of 16gbs of external storage, no matter how big the USB drive is?

There's no reason for that other than MS wanting to sell their own proprietary HDDs, unless I'm reading that wrong. Ugh.

Ah well, better than nothing.

Google

I know nothing about how people pirate games on the 360, but wasn't one of the excuses Microsoft used in the past for not allowing this type of pracitce down to piracy on the hard drives?

This is a great move though - You can pick up a 1.5TB/2.0TB hard drive for $100 these days - throw in an enclosure, and you'll have a unit that you'll never ever need to upgrade for the same price as their own horribly overpriced hard drives.

Rich!

Zoe said:
Is there really enough bandwidth across a USB connection to play ripped games well? (or at least better than playing of the disc)

USB HDD support on Wii USB loaders proves there is more than enough available. Runs perfectly on there with barely any loading times, and that includes dual layer 7gb games such as Smash Bros Brawl.

coopolon

If true, this is really really big. Even if limited to 16 GB, that's still a really big deal, considering I only have the 20GB HDD, so that almost doubles my capacity.

I wonder if you can partition the external HDD and if the Xbox will then see two drives, allowing you to use 32GB. Windows sees it as two drives.

Ranger X

So you people are still excited even knowning it's 16gb max?

"The system partition occupies 512 MB of space, and by default the consumer partition occupies the remainder of the device capacity, or 16 GB, whichever is smaller."

Color me uninpressed!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
lol, 16GB cap

ban OP for not highlighting this important fact

Let's watch everyone post "FUCK YEAH" without reading this

FrankT

richisawesome said:
Still good news.

You can get an 8gb USB stick for the fraction of the cost of a 512mb XB360 MU. And that's more than enough for a good amount of arcade games and profiles.

So one would be able to play full arcade games off this you think?

richisawesome said:
USB HDD support on Wii USB loaders proves there is more than enough available. Runs perfectly on there with barely any loading times, and that includes dual layer 7gb games such as Smash Bros Brawl.

Ah I see.

depths20XX

This is great. Won't have to buy a HDD for my J360 then.

I'd really like them to add the ability to copy music from a USB drive onto the 360 HDD also....unless there's someway to do that I'm just not aware of..

Smokey said:
So those saying they have 40GB HDs around..you won't be able to use ALL of it.

That right there confirms to me that this is probably all about the Datel court case, its a completely arbitrary restriction that's only there to help aid sales of their proprietary HDDs but means they can no longer be sued for locking out third party memory devices. Its so very Microsoft.

Still, an extra 16GB more than doubles my current HDD capacity so it'll do for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Got excited until I read of the 16GB limit. :lol Oh well, there's still 30GB left in my 60GB HDD.

Writing data to USB stick.... does this mean that ingame screenshots don't have to be uploaded to an external server anymore? Maybe Forza 3 screenshots can finally be made without horrible compression.

Google said:
I know nothing about how people pirate games on the 360, but wasn't one of the excuses Microsoft used in the past for not allowing this type of pracitce down to piracy on the hard drives?

This is a great move though - You can pick up a 1.5TB/2.0TB hard drive for $100 these days - throw in an enclosure, and you'll have a unit that you'll never ever need to upgrade for the same price as their own horribly overpriced hard drives.
Still not reading huh?

16GB MAX per DRIVE

Ranger X said:

Color me uninpressed!
Better than nothing, I guess...

Zoe

richisawesome said:

Interesting. I remember reading before that using HDLoader with a USB drive on a PS2 was pretty much pointless (other than sparing your DVD drive) because you don't see any gains in loading.

Pooya

after seeing the leaked motherboard, this makes so much sense, bye HDD & MU.
I hope this doesn't bring mandatory game install to 360 though.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Even with the 16GB cap it helps me out pretty big. I'll probably just put all of my arcade games onto a 16GB USB stick which should leave me plenty of room on my 20gig.

I still wish I could use a USB harddrive for game installs :(

FrankT

miladesn said:
after seeing the leaked motherboard, this makes so much sense, bye HDD & MU.
I hope this doesn't bring mandatory game install to 360 though.

With only 16GB they are still going to have some type of HDD.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
lol, 16GB cap

Let's watch everyone post "FUCK YEAH" without reading this
It still warrants a "FUCK YEAH", I think.

I can't imagine USB would be ideal for game installs, anyway. And 16gigs is enough for arcade titles and save files.

Pagusas

Elden Member
hmmm, Id be curious to see this and what the performance loss will be on load times. Remember USB carries with it a small cpu overhead and limited bandwith. Burst speed is going to be HORRIBLE, making installing some games to a usb drive significantly slower than those installed to the standard HD.

Ranger X said:

Color me uninpressed!

It means I no longer have to buy a stupidly overpriced proprietary drive if I want to continue purchasing XBLA games in the future, so yes I'm excited even with the 16GB cap stupidity. This is huge for anyone with an Arcade or 20GB unit.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Truly awesome, until the 16GB cap. I was going to buy an arcade and a HDD, but I'll just stick with the Spring bundle.

This is good for non-HDD arcade owners though.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
DRock said:
Even with the 16GB cap it helps me out pretty big. I'll probably just put all of my arcade games onto a 16GB USB stick which should leave me plenty of room on my 20gig.

I still wish I could use a USB harddrive for game installs :(

Yeah, I have a 20gig HDD so this is great for me. I basically just doubled my HDD space for $25.

mooooose

ChoklitReign said:
Who the hell has 16 GB of DLC? Really, learn to manage your HDD. Even several dozen XBLA games aren't that large.
People who play a lot of Rock Band and Guitar Hero? There's quite a few of those people out there.

coopolon

For those of us who have refused to throw money at Microsoft for the pleasure of using one of their overpriced HDDs, this is really big news. 16gb is a lot of space in Xbox land. Don't most installs like liek 5 GB? You could probably fit at least two games and several arcade games on top of it.

It'll cost me nothing to throw some shitty ide drive I have from a 6 year old computer into an external enclosure and get a free extra 16gb of space. Maybe 32gb if partitions work.

Rich!

Zoe said:
Interesting. I remember reading before that using HDLoader with a USB drive on a PS2 was pretty much pointless (other than sparing your DVD drive) because you don't see any gains in loading.

It's a huge benefit to me, especially considering I'm moving around so much - with one click on the main Wii screen, I have immediate access to my (admittedly small) collection of 15 Wii games on my usb stick.

Top Bottom