• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in spring 2010 update...16gb cap? smh

tzare

nice! i really need space, today i had to delete a gears2 installation because i couldn't download splinterc cell demo :D

FrankT

ChoklitReign said:
Who the hell has 16 GB of DLC? Really, learn to manage your HDD. Even several dozen XBLA games aren't that large.

I think it is more of people looking to install full games really even if that is possible to run like that. That is where the big numbers really start to add up.

brain_stew said:
That right there confirms to me that this is probably all about the Datel court case, its a completely arbitrary restriction that's only there to help aid sales of their proprietary HDDs but means they can no longer be sued for locking out third party memory devices. Its so very Microsoft.

Still, an extra 16GB more than doubles my current HDD capacity so it'll do for me.
I get the reasoning, but assuming that it is the court case driving this, the next step would be for Datel (or some other company) to start selling mass produced 360 Hard Drives to drive a court case forward with the same net effect, but on a larger scale.

Baki

pr0cs said:
holy shit, I never expected this to happen. God I hope it's true.
no more overpriced drives again.

perhaps this relates to the 360 pseudo-slim thread where it wasn't obvious where the HDD connector was. IE: the 360 slim will come with no HDD and you can just use your own USB device instead.

What. They need a built-in/attachable standard hard drive.

mooooose

Zoe said:
Interesting. I remember reading before that using HDLoader with a USB drive on a PS2 was pretty much pointless (other than sparing your DVD drive) because you don't see any gains in loading.
That's a lie. There are quite a few games that see significant improvement (Tales of the Abyss, for example).

onken

Smokey said:
Are you guys missing this ?

So those saying they have 40GB HDs around..you won't be able to use ALL of it.

Humph well that's kinda taken the shine off it, still better than nothing I guess.

The Shift

Banned
Yeah the 16GB cap is a stab in the eye. My 120 is almost full with Arcade/Installs and DLC cleaves big chunks from it as well. I think I have about 10GB spare at the moment and have no music on there. Would be nice to have multiple partitions on one external drive of the 16GB cap as a work around.

Shai-Tan

Banned
This is good for XBLA and DLC as an alternative upgrade for cheap arcade units, not so much for storing games although I guess it depends on how much throughput is possible.

PjotrStroganov said:
Writing data to USB stick.... does this mean that ingame screenshots don't have to be uploaded to an external server anymore? Maybe Forza 3 screenshots can finally be made without horrible compression.

Crossed my mind as well. And while we're at it, how about that system-wide screen/video grabbing ability in the next update?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wario64 said:
lol, 16GB cap

ban OP for not highlighting this important fact

Let's watch everyone post "FUCK YEAH" without reading this
This was great news. WTF is this shit though?!?!? WTF LOL

Still better than nothing, as has been noted.

KAL2006

Banned
Slim 360 rumour is looking more real

However I don't understand that people are saying Slim 360 will not use HDD and Memory Unit, I understand getting rid of the Memory Unit, however scrapping the HDD would be wierd as the USB drive limit is only 16GB

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Thinking about it, I think the only thing I find useful from this is the ability to transfer my XBL profile and any XBLA games I want to bring to a friend's place to play on his X360. I wouldn't need to bring my entire HDD anymore.

PJX

I was happy until I saw it was limited to 16 GB. I have a spare 1TB HDD just sitting around that I would love to make use of. Well 16 is better than nothing.

I'd love to be able to put whatever game I'm playing mainly onto a flash drive, if it would make loading even faster than off the hard drive.

Zoe

JodyAnthony said:
I'd love to be able to put whatever game I'm playing mainly onto a flash drive, if it would make loading even faster than off the hard drive.

I don't really see how that would be possible.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
brain_stew said:
If it supports multiple drives at once, then hurray for the extra two USB ports on my HD-DVD drive! :lol

Only supports up to two devices regardless of ports. 32 GB max.

onken

KAL2006 said:
Slim 360 rumour is looking more real

However I don't understand that people are saying Slim 360 will not use HDD and Memory Unit, I understand getting rid of the Memory Unit, however scrapping the HDD would be wierd as the USB drive limit is only 16GB

I think they're talking about compatibility with the old hard drives, you'll no doubt have the option to buy slim hard drives too.

Kolgar

Music, videos, arcade games, game saves, Rock Band DLC. Oh yes!

Even at only 16GB, this helps a lot. I've a lot of games installed to my 120GB HD--stuff I always want available, such as fighting games that get played everytime friends are over--so this gives me some very welcome breathing room.

What other goodies does the spring update have in store for us?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
MirageDwarf said:
I said 2 because I thought 360 has 2 USB ports. But it has 3. So max you can get is 48 GB.
360 has 3 USB slots? *MIND BLOWN*

where is the 3rd?

coopolon

MirageDwarf said:
I said 2 because I thought 360 has 2 USB ports. But it has 3. So max you can get is 48 GB.

No, they're artificially limiting it to two at any one time, according to the articles. So 32GB max.

360 has 3 USB slots? *MIND BLOWN*

where is the 3rd?

It is in the back next to the ethernet port. It is where their incredibly overpriced wireless adapter plugs in.

pr0cs

Okay, hype diminished with the stupid cap, I'd love to hear some reasoning behind that terrible idea.
Come on Microsoft, go hard or go home. If you're going to open the floodgates and finally be more consumer friendly why the hell would you impose such a stupid limit.?!

Talamius

Jtyettis said:
I think it is more of people looking to install full games really even if that is possible to run like that. That is where the big numbers really start to add up.

Pretty much this. Having my Wii library stored on a single USB HDD has spoiled me. 360 games are of comparable size and having a manufacturer supported option would be spectacular.

Wario64 said:
Thinking about it, I think the only thing I find useful from this is the ability to transfer my XBL profile and any XBLA games I want to bring to a friend's place to play on his X360. I wouldn't need to bring my entire HDD anymore.

I'm sure there will be some DRM that locks games with physical console just like current game installation does.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Still not reading huh?

16GB MAX per DRIVE

Better than nothing, I guess...

i agree it's better than nothing, but it's quite illustrative of (yet again) console manufacturers squeezing consumers this gen, rather than providing good serivces.

or to put it another way: the console manufacturers are more intent on removing or limiting services than providing them.

Pooya

16 GB is plenty, 20GB HDDs only have 13GB usable space FYI. just plug in 2 or 3 USB HDDs and you can get 32-48GB usable space. DVD game installs probably won't work because USB is much slower than SATA.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
cjelly said:
16GB is fine, really.

Patiently waiting for that Forza 3 title update that allows photos and videos saved to USB... :D
I have over 16 gigs of Rock Band songs, so no it really isn't fine.

Caj814

Yes I can finally use my external to store ALL of my ga-
. . .

16GB limit

if5rug.jpg

FrankT

bmf said:
I get the reasoning, but assuming that it is the court case driving this, the next step would be for Datel (or some other company) to start selling mass produced 360 Hard Drives to drive a court case forward with the same net effect, but on a larger scale.

I like the way you think.

tzare said:
i think 16Gb is enough for DLC/games from market place. Will this update support game installs too?

Million dollar question.

Better than nothing I guess but it doesn't make sense to open it up to USB storage then limit it to 16gb. I wonder what the reason is, I don't see a problem from a security/DRM point of view? Really is a strange decision.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MirageDwarf said:
I'm sure there will be some DRM that locks games with physical console just like current game installation does.

For XBLA you just need the XBL profile associated with it to be online.

Treo360

Will hold out on the celebration until actual implementation has been achieved (game installs)

I really think the Datel suit comes in play here. Capping at 16gb though better than nothing just doesn't make sense.

Brilliant news, aside from a solitary game install I've only ever used 2-3gb of HDD space on the 360 in 3 years. Once this hits I can just pick up a replacement Arcade and use one of the numerous free USB flash drives I've got lying around instead of paying through the nose for Microsoft's hard drives.

lol at the the FUCK YEAHS.

microsoft has been shoving a 20 inch wide cock in your asses this entire gen, now they switch to a 16 inch cock and since it hurts a little less you all are like FUCK YEAH.

coopolon

miladesn said:
16 GB is plenty, 20GB HDDs only have 13GB usable space FYI. just plug in 2 or 3 USB HDDs and you can get 32-48GB usable space. DVD game installs probably won't work because USB is much slower than SATA.

Is USB slower than reading data off the DVD? I have been trying to find an number on data/s the xbox 360 can read, but no luck so far.

FrankT

BravoSuperStar said:
Better than nothing I guess but it doesn't make sense to open it up to USB storage then limit it to 16gb. I wonder what the reason is, I don't see a problem from a security/DRM point of view? Really is a strange decision.

Because those pricey bohica HDDs would fall off the face of the planet. Sounds like the earlier comment on the court case nailed it.

Top Bottom