• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in spring 2010 update...16gb cap? smh

Banned
This is being done as a replacement for Memory Units not HDDs. Clearly they will be removing the Memory Unit slots on the new 360s.

Is USB fast enough for game installs?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
blackMamba1187 said:
The 360 needs more usb ports. 2 usb sticks, wireless adapter, natal (assuming), HD-DVD. Plus older rock band/guitar hero instruments, 3rd party controllers, arcade sticks.
Just buy a powered hub.

Daigoro

D4Danger said:
itt: people confuse USB mass storage with USB device

in before stealth edits.

itt: people shit on a small but fucking awesome alternative to overpriced proprietary HD's.

guess what? it will STILL BE A LOT CHEAPER to store shit.

Chittagong said:
Horray-sad-2.gif
This.

blackMamba1187 said:
The 360 needs more usb ports. 2 usb sticks, wireless adapter, natal (assuming), HD-DVD. Plus older rock band/guitar hero instruments, 3rd party controllers, arcade sticks.
like you'll be playing and using it all at the same time. wtf.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Daigoro said:
in before stealth edits.

itt: people shit on a small but fucking awesome alternative to overpriced proprietary HD's.

guess what? it will STILL BE A LOT CHEAPER to store shit.

damn, caught an edit of an edit. I really should've kept reading before I posted.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm thinking this move is more intended to be a facilitator for transferring content to the hypothetical 360 Slim without requiring the HDD data transfer kit, as the Slim's HDD may be incompatible with if it has a different form factor.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Geoff9920 said:
16GB cap... really? o_O I guess it's better than nothing...

chubigans said:
Ah well, better than nothing.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Better than nothing, I guess...

onken said:
Humph well that's kinda taken the shine off it, still better than nothing I guess.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Still better than nothing, as has been noted.

Gomu Gomu said:
Better than nothing no?

betterthannothing.jpg

Also watch for the "Step in the Right Direction!" SKU, not pictured.

FrankT

Shig said:
I'm thinking this move is more intended to be a facilitator for transferring content to the hypothetical 360 Slim without requiring the HDD data transfer kit, as the Slim's HDD may be incompatible with if it has a different form factor.

Draft will not be pleased.

Wazzim

Banned
This isn't to replace MU's but for mandatory installs, the 360 needs those to keep up with blu-ray. (heavy compressed data that will install on the storage device, just like PC games)

PhatSaqs said:
Thats good shit right there.

Wait.... limited to 16GB..... not so good shit.

Well, considering the launch 360's 20Gb HDD was left with like 14GB of storage space after all the system data this is good news. I mean, I just upgraded to a 60GB HDD, but my 20GB last me a few years. Unless you are installing a bunch of games or downloading 360 retail games that's a lot of space.

Wazzim said:
This isn't to replace MU's but for mandatory installs, the 360 needs those to keep up with blu-ray. (heavy compressed data that will install on the storage device, just like PC games)

What, with only 16GB of storage to use on an external drive? That isn't keeping up with blu-ray.

GhaleonEB

Great news. I can hopefully just dump my 50+ Arcade games onto a thumb drive and keep it plugged in, freeing up my nearly full HDD.

I wonder if this will recognize multiple hard drives in a single external enclosure. It would be cool if I could just create two 16gb NTFS partitions on each of the HDDs (HFS+) in my enclosure. Free 32gb of extra storage space sounds good to me.

I don't think i've ever gone from this excited to this disappointed by a gaming announcement so quickly. I have this 250GB external drive just sitting here, this would be perfect to install my games to... but that fucking cap, arrrgh.

FrankT

bmf said:
So do I....except for my own inbuilt memory limitations. I could use a memory upgrade.

Well it may not even have anything to do with that as others have noted this could essentially be MS's stop gap for the 360 slim or whatever it's called.

Mandoric

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Step in the right direction. I wonder why only 16gbs though.

It's piggybacking by emulating a memory card, correct? Probably a limitation of presumed sector/bank size x the number of addressing bits - signed 16-bit addressing of 512kbyte banks maybe?

Neuromancer said:
Dude HD-DVD is the look and sound of perfect

Wish I had Blade Runner on Blu-Ray instead =\

Speaking of "Dude"... say what you will about HD-DVD but it still remains the only format where you can watch The Big Lebowski in HD.

Wazzim said:
Huh what

OldJadedGamer said:
Speaking of "Dude"... say what you will about HD-DVD but it still remains the only format where you can watch The Big Lebowski in HD.
Haha awesome (and somehow fitting)

MrPliskin

Banned
Meh.

There's a reason I use my PS3 as my media Center. 1320GB is more useful than my max of 76GB on my 360.

Non-news to me, for now.

MrPliskin said:
Meh.

There's a reason I use my PS3 as my media Center. 1320GB is more useful than my max of 76GB on my 360.

Non-news to me, for now.

360 is the way to go if you have Windows 7. Windows Media Center is like butter and the only reason I keep a windows computer around. Plus, my 360 has 2.5TB of media available... since I stream all of it to each box in the house. I just buy spare broken 360's with busted DVD drives and use them as media center boxes at each TV in the house and network them all together.

Kujo

If I can backup some of my saves this will be good, are thumb drives fast enough to run full installs from though?

Swifty

I have a USB 3.5 IDE hard drive enclosure that I keep open to hot swap hard drives...

And I have about 5 20 GB IDE hard drives I have laying around doing nothing...

...These are going to be the biggest swappable memory units I have ever used. :lol

Top Bottom