• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in spring 2010 update...16gb cap? smh

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
coopolon said:
It is in the back next to the ethernet port. It is where their incredibly overpriced wireless adapter plugs in.
"We're also allowing all third party wireless adapters to be used on the 360!*"

*standard B adapter with 25kb/s limit

Daigoro

sixteen shmixteen. this is HUGE if true.

just buy a few 15gig usb sticks and you'd be set.

man this would be amazing news.

Kolgar

out0v0rder said:
lol at the the FUCK YEAHS.

microsoft has been shoving a 20 inch wide cock in your asses this entire gen, now they switch to a 16 inch cock and since it hurts a little less you all are like FUCK YEAH.

How colorful!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ridiculous arbitrary limits aside - that do indeed reek of grudging legal obligation vs customer-happiness-making - the idea of allowing game data to be stored on external storage is a good one, and one I hope it spreads.

Chittagong

Gold Member
DuckRacer said:

Horray-sad-2.gif

Rorschach

out0v0rder said:

microsoft has been shoving a 20 inch wide cock in your asses this entire gen, now they switch to a 16 inch cock and since it hurts a little less you all are like FUCK YEAH.
True story.

Beaulieu

For people still rocking the 20gb it's a big fuckin deal
Esp. for people like me still rocking a 20gb with 2 xboxlive enabled profiles !

Edit : By far the best firmware update since the xvid/divs/avi support !

FrankT

Daigoro said:
sixteen shmixteen. this is HUGE if true.

just buy a few 15gig usb sticks and you'd be set.

man this would be amazing news.

I wonder if it would even work that way? Pulling up game saves might be a nightmare though that way.

I have a 1TB HDD that I use for my Steam backups, I wish I could do the same for my 360 games, but the 16GB limit is lame a hell and I can't believe some of you are saying better then nothing. There is absolutely no technical reason to limit the external size, MS still wants to sell their overpriced crap.

Well shit my USB ports on my Resident Evil 5 360 have been iffy sometimes thye work othertimes not. I might actually have to get them fixed now but I was pretty much told my MS that I might not get back a red 360 :/

Also looks like I will be installing way more games now

ChoklitReign said:
Who the hell has 16 GB of DLC? Really, learn to manage your HDD. Even several dozen XBLA games aren't that large.
My RB is sitting at 5GB, and I'm nowhere close to any of the guys in the RB thread.

The average XBLA downloads have been trending much much higher in size. Shadow Complex is 800+MB, and even "smaller games" like Chime was hitting 800MB. Forza 3 car pack install disk was another 2GB.

It's not that hard to see how 16GB can be filled up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is it possible to partition a USB flash drive? Remember the 4x memory card for Dreamcast? You can have 4 banks of 200 blocks of storage or whatever. Someone will just make a flash drive with banks of 16 GB storage.

Now someone is gonna steal my idea and profit.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
out0v0rder said:

The sad part is that you're right.

Pooya

coopolon said:
Is USB slower than reading data off the DVD? I have been trying to find an number on data/s the xbox 360 can read, but no luck so far.
On PC, copying data from a USB HDD or even a flash memory is a lot faster than DVD, don't know how it is on 360 though. say 20-40MB/s compared to 10-15MB/s, I don't have exact data, this is what I see usually on my PC.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wario64 said:
Only supports up to two devices regardless of ports. 32 GB max.

How about multiple 16 GB partitions? Are they locking the thing such that only the very first 16 GB of the drive can be read or that each partition must be up to 16 GB in size?

FrankT

Dragona Akehi said:
I bet this won't even allow for game installations either. :p

If it doesn't allow for at least XBLA titles then it's just fail. I have no idea if full game installs could work this way.

Dragona Akehi said:
I bet this won't even allow for game installations either. :p
Judging from the screenshots, hard to say. In theory, all the drives that the 360 can read are treated equally. You can install XBLA games onto a 512 Card, so I don't see why this new "USB Formatted Drive" can't do the same.

Wario64 said:
Is it possible to partition a USB flash drive? Remember the 4x memory card for Dreamcast? You can have 4 banks of 200 blocks of storage or whatever. Someone will just make a flash drive with banks of 16 GB storage.

They limit it in the OS to two. Regardless of how it's partitioned they won't allow more than two external memory units.

Hope Forza 3 gets updated to allow us to export uncompressed photomode pictures to USB devices

edit:

TheLegendary said:
They limit it in the OS to two. Regardless of how it's partitioned they won't allow more than two external memory units.

Two at once plugged in or can we have multiple 16GB devices and just switch them around as long as no more than two is plugged in?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wario64 said:
lol, 16GB cap

ban OP for not highlighting this important fact

Let's watch everyone post "FUCK YEAH" without reading this

Wouldn't be an issue if people actually read posts, but hardly anyone ever does that on the net. So your virtually guaranteed to have a shit ton of people be like OMG Spoogerific without reading the fine print.

coopolon

Wario64 said:

Pfft, you mean my idea.

On PC, copying data from a USB HDD or even a flash memory is a lot faster than DVD, don't know how it is on 360 though. say 20-40MB/s compared to 10-15MB/s, I don't have exact data, this is what I see usually on my PC.

Yah, based on my experience with PCs, it'd still be a hell of a lot faster to read off a USB than a DVD. Might not be as fast as HDD, but still better than off the disc. Not sure if this is different for Xbox though, and this all of course assumes they allow game installs.

Panda1

Banned
I am sure someone will enable it to run larger drives - then after owning 2 360s that RROD's and moved to the PS3 I might be tempted to get one.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
and you almost thought microsoft valued you as customers.

there needs to be a sonic cycle equivalent for this kinda thing.

Kyolux

I think this plus $130 arcade (until end of day today in Canada) just sold me one 360.

If there's still some in stock :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'll say "fuck yeah" to this piece of news, because paying 30 USD to have 16 extra gigs on my 20 gig HD beats THE HELL OUT OF paying 150 usd for 120 gigs.

It's more expensive on price per gigabyte, but... i can't finish this phrase and make a valid point.

Whatever, it's awesome.

The 360 needs more usb ports. 2 usb sticks, wireless adapter, natal (assuming), HD-DVD. Plus older rock band/guitar hero instruments, 3rd party controllers, arcade sticks.

edit: at danger: lol i know, but my 20 HDDVD "collection" won't allow me to let it go.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
blackMamba1187 said:
The 360 needs more usb ports. 2 usb sticks, wireless adapter, natal (assuming), HD-DVD. Plus older rock band/guitar hero instruments, 3rd party controllers, arcade sticks.

I lol'd

AlphaTwo00 said:
Judging from the screenshots, hard to say. In theory, all the drives that the 360 can read are treated equally. You can install XBLA games onto a 512 Card, so I don't see why this new "USB Formatted Drive" can't do the same.
I don't want to put words in her mouth but I'm pretty sure she was talking about disc installs.

Top Bottom