• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 NBA 2K6 preview

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
trippingmartian said:
There is a world of difference between the E3 build and this video. I hope we see this much improvement in NHL2k6.

My manager at Gamestop said it's virtually the same thing as NBA 2K6. Said even Tony Hawk looks wonderful.

Mrbob

Agent Icebeezy said:
My manager at Gamestop said it's virtually the same thing as NBA 2K6. Said even Tony Hawk looks wonderful.

Tony Hawk looks good? Why is Activision still releasing crappy screenshots to this day, then? I don't believe that.

EAs exclusive NFL deal may have just hurt them in the NBA arena. From what I've read, after the NFL deal went down the NFL2K team merged with the NBA2K team. You got a big team working on NBA2K6 next gen and it is showing. Football is still the biggest selling sports game of all, but I see EAs Live marketshare taking a big plummet.

Agent Icebeezy said:

Now Tony hawk would be shocking.....not enough to make me buy it again...but shocking.

DCX

DCX
Mrbob said:
Tony Hawk looks good? Why is Activision still releasing crappy screenshots to this day, then? I don't believe that.

EAs exclusive NFL deal may have just hurt them in the NBA arena. From what I've read, after the NFL deal went down the NFL2K team merged with the NBA2K team. You got a big team working on NBA2K6 next gen and it is showing. Football is still the biggest selling sports game of all, but I see EAs Live marketshare taking a big plummet.
Perfect Dark anyone?

DCX

joaomgcd

Anyone noticed that everything inside the rim is blurred and everything outside the rim is not?
Strange...

928263_20050930_screen005.jpg

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Look INSIDE the rim, Luthor. The portion of the players and floor there are blurry.

Teh Hamburglar said:
When you're playing how often will you be looking at the crowd anyways?
It's one of those things that you only notice when it's incorrect...the crowd is background eye-candy, but when they don't face the right way it stands out.

bishoptl said:
Look INSIDE the rim, Luthor. The portion of the players and floor there are blurry.

It's one of those things that you only notice when it's incorrect...the crowd is background eye-candy, but when they don't face the right way it stands out.

Yup, odd. Oh well, not that big of a deal, really.

bishoptl said:

oh, thats how it is now? After all the free publicity i gave The Outfit (tm...coming soon from THQ and Relic!)?

trmas

Banned
Looks nice, but the animation has serious issues. What's the use of looking like real life if the players move like puppets?

Better than EA, but that isn't really hard is it?

FightyF

Banned
joaomgcd said:
Hmm, I know it's a depth of field effect, but only the rim and net should be blurred, not the players, floor, etc :D

My guess is that it's a glitch due to perhaps the net mesh being a texture with transparency and if they modelled the net mesh they wouldn't have that problem. Just a guess though.

Fight for Freeform said:
My guess is that it's a glitch due to perhaps the net mesh being a texture with transparency and if they modelled the net mesh they wouldn't have that problem. Just a guess though.

That makes sense, you're probably right. We'd need to be able to see down the hole in the middle to know for sure though. In any case, I don't really care as I'll never notice it in the game.

joaomgcd

morbidaza said:
That makes sense, you're probably right. We'd need to be able to see down the hole in the middle to know for sure though. In any case, I don't really care as I'll never notice it in the game.

Yeah, me neither! The game looks great!

Ranger X

joaomgcd said:
Anyone noticed that everything inside the rim is blurred and everything outside the rim is not?
Strange...

928263_20050930_screen005.jpg

Bad retouch on the picture. Maybe the depth of field effect isn't quite there yet and their photoshop dude had to push it --- but he's actually bad at photoshop!!

Ranger X

One thing i wanted to add:

I notice people in this thread starting to realise what is next-gen graphics.
NBA 2k6 is an example of game build on the 360 AND NOT AND UPGRADED PORT OF PS2 OR XBOX CODE LIKE MOST 360 GAMES.
Also, keep in mind that the ragdoll clothes + 60 fps contribute ALOT to the beauty of the visual. Ragdoll clothes probably will be common next-gen so we are in for a treat!

;)

Wyzdom said:
One thing i wanted to add:

I notice people in this thread starting to realise what is next-gen graphics.
NBA 2k6 is an example of game build on the 360 AND NOT AND UPGRADED PORT OF PS2 OR XBOX CODE LIKE MOST 360 GAMES.
Also, keep in mind that the ragdoll clothes + 60 fps contribute ALOT to the beauty of the visual. Ragdoll clothes probably will be common next-gen so we are in for a treat!

;)

Yeah I really can't wait to see that feature become standard. It adds so much to the naturalness(i love making up words) of the visuals and just looks pretty. It should be standard on fighting games. I know in the E3 vid the new asian girl in DoA had fully simulated clothes, but I haven't seen it on anyone since. Hopefully it becomes standard in DoA5 (if it doesn't make it into this one).

Wunderchu

Blimblim said:
Don't if it's still needed anymore, but here it is :
http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_1717_1_en.html
looks awesome, thanx again, Blimblim

morbidaza said:
Yeah I really can't wait to see that feature become standard. It adds so much to the naturalness(i love making up words) of the visuals and just looks pretty. It should be standard on fighting games. I know in the E3 vid the new asian girl in DoA had fully simulated clothes, but I haven't seen it on anyone since. Hopefully it becomes standard in DoA5 (if it doesn't make it into this one).
cloth simulation is still in DOA4 :)

FightyF

Banned
The physic also apply to the hair in DoA4.

Oh yeah and I want to add, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the producers of the Mortal Kombat series should look at digitally scanning real people in 3D (as they did in 2D) like in the Getaway. Obviously things can look so lifelike this next gen...I don't see why they aren't doing so. In the case of NBA 2k6, you got 10 players on the court...whereas a figher only has 2.

Wunderchu said:
cloth simulation is still in DOA4 :)

Is it on all clothes like pants and such though? I know it's on dangling clothes like belts, hair, and scarf type things, but I haven't noticed it being applied to things like pants and sleeves and the like. Hopefully it will be.

Top Bottom