• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Details E3 Plans

Miles X

I think every company needs to start hitting out of the park, just like the sixth gen (sorta)
I agree with you that they've been quiet as hell, but anything could happen, you could get a mass rebranding, a new model, a bunch of IP's out of nowhere, or you could get a completely disappointing E3, all we can do is speculate.

Right now it'd be pointless, when I said a comeback, I mean with a new console gen.

SOR5

Right now it'd be pointless, when I said a comeback, I mean with a new console gen.

Thats the thing, are we even going to get new console gens as we know it anymore? Sony and Microsoft have been hinting at incremental releases and forward compatibility anyway, if Microsoft wants to switch it up with a comeback, they can work on it right now., they dont have to wait it out. The best way for consumers to take you seriously is to put out consistently good products

Bsigg12

CoD: IW, CoD 4: R, Destiny & Battlefront DLC.

I can't possibly Titanfall 2/Battlefield at Sony.

Like 30 minutes of Sony's show is going to be CoD, Destiny and Battlefront huh? I wonder if they'll show anything related to Uncharted 4 as it will have been out for a month by that time.

El_Chino

Like 30 minutes of Sony's show is going to be CoD, Destiny and Battlefront huh? I wonder if they'll show anything related to Uncharted 4 as it will have been out for a month by that time.

I feel like that'll be one too many shooters for Sony's taste.

theWB27

I just remember the latter years of 360, don't you? Dead. When MS is hitting it out of the park they do it BIG time, I remember 2010 I think, with Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Crackdown 2 ect, amazing.

I don't even think it's a bad thing they're coasting right now, I want them to be planning either a comeback, getting their studios and partnerships ready for that, or go PC exclusive. Right now though I just feel they're entering a lul much like the latter years of the 360.

Do you consider them coasting because you don't like the exclusives they've released so far. Because the x1 has been the exact opposite of the end of the 360 era.

What would going pc exclusive fix, exactly? I'm genuinely curious cause that fixes nothing about their output.

No more third party exclusives (which is reasonable, they don't make sense for them anymore) closing down a few studios. They have about 6 studios left? Of which work on the same franchises.

Outside of an Xbox Slim I'd be surprised if we saw anything game changing or amazing.

That's not including indies/smaller titles, I think they'll have a few of those. They've actually become the only exciting part of Xbox for me, Cuphead!!!

Have you had your head buried in the sand or something?

They have 9 studios that we know of.

They closed down 2 studios recently. How do you know they won't open 1 or two more.

Only 3 of those nine are working on established franchises, Turn10, Coalition, 343.

Then you have 2nd party.

The Xbox Twitter accounts have been hyping up the reveal on Friday quite a lot. Think it's a stick on to be shown at the MS conference.

Edit. Battlefield, I'm talking about .

Miles X

Do you consider them coasting because you don't like the exclusives they've released so far. Because the x1 has been the exact opposite of the end of the 360 era.

What would going pc exclusive fix, exactly? I'm genuinely curious cause that fixes nothing about their output.

I meant I feel they're entering a coasting stage, I think up until now they've done very well, last fall wasn't as ... diverse and new as it could have been though.

It's not really going to fix anything, I just don't ever see them having a good shot in the console space again tbh. If they were smart and built up a Steam competitor they could have a good output for their games. Or heck, even use Steam.

You do kinda seem to be trolling Miles.

How the hell are we supposed to know WHO they will partner with? They have shown us that they are hard to predict. Would you have guess Platinum would have made an exclusive with a MS owned IP? Armature with a MS owned IP? Insomniac make an exclusive game?

You're literally asking us to pull studios and partnerships out of our ass. We (me) are saying that there is no sign that they will discontinue working with outside Devs on MS owned IP. You're focusing too much on the who and not enough on their actual MS Studio driven direction to work with anyone who will give them a good product.

As for my personal projections I think another partnership with Frontier is highly likely (don't pretend like everyone is working on planet coaster like you did in another post), Capcom, Skybox as mentioned (but for some reason you won't count), Undead Labs, Platinum again, hell im not ruling ANYONE out because they have totally shocked me with partnerships (Creative Assembly...really, did you see that coming??)

The issue is you're pretending like they are just not working on any games because they haven't announced much yet, without, you know, actually being at a major trade show this year. You're only rebuttal seems to be "well everyone else to partner with is busy!" Which absolutely makes zero sense just based on the unpredictability of some of these partnerships over the past two years.

link1201

I'm anxious to see Halo Wars 2. I'm also interested to see what if any plans 343 has for sustain with Halo 5.

Miles X

They have 9 studios that we know of.

They closed down 2 studios recently. How do you know they won't open 1 or two more.

Only 3 of those nine are working on established franchises, Turn10, Coalition, 343.

Then you have 2nd party.

9?

Mojang - Minecraft
343 - Halo
Turn 10 - Forza
Rare
Coalition - Gears

Decisive - New, not much is known.
Lift London - Hololense.

What are the other 2?

4 are working on established IP, 1 core game studio (Rare) is working on new IP.

That's one first party studio working on new IP.

You do kinda seem to be trolling Miles.

How the hell are we supposed to know WHO they will partner with? They have shown us that they are hard to predict. Would you have guess Platinum would have made an exclusive with a MS owned IP? Armature with a MS owned IP? Insomniac make an exclusive game?

You're literally asking us to pull studios and partnerships out of our ass. We (me) are saying that there is no sign that they will discontinue working with outside Devs on MS owned IP. You're focusing too much on the who and not enough on their actual MS Studio driven direction to work with anyone who will give them a good product.

As for my personal projections I think another partnership with Frontier is highly likely (don't pretend like everyone is working on planet coaster like you did in another post), Capcom, Skybox as mentioned (but for some reason you won't count), Undead Labs, Platinum again, hell im not ruling ANYONE out because they have totally shocked me with partnerships (Creative Assembly...really, did you see that coming??)

The issue is you're pretending like they are just not working on any games because they haven't announced much yet, without, you know, actually being at a major trade show this year. You're only rebuttal seems to be "well everyone else to partner with is busy!" Which absolutely makes zero sense just based on the unpredictability of some of these partnerships over the past two years.

BIB: Honestly absurd, go look at my entire post history, I'm an Xbox fan I'd have no reason to be shitting on Microsoft. I am looking at the situation realistically (with a touch of pessimism). Don't call me a troll because you don't like opinions that aren't all rainbows.

I agree with your point about second party partnerships, perhaps they will pull a few unknowns out of the bag (and I sure hope they do) but last year we only got 1? ReCore (again, point out if I'm missing anything).

you 'think' another partnership with Frontier? I'm not pretending they're all working on Planet Coaster, I just assume they are. Do you have any evidence they are or arent?

Actually, my argument is at this point last year we knew loads of which was coming. They're gonna have to have a lot of these second party partnerships in place, because I don't think first party is gonna pick up the slack.

I really hope you're right and yes, it could very well be true they have a lot of partnerships in the work.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I have loads of awesome games coming, if I'm right, I'm right. Which sucks, so I hope I'm not.

This isn't all in my head tho, if you think the state of Xbox right now is as good as when XB1 launched, well we have to agree to disagree on that.

SOR5

hell im not ruling ANYONE out.

I would rule out Voodoo Vince 2 done by Naughty Dog but I do know what you mean lol
9?

Mojang - Minecraft
343 - Halo
Turn 10 - Forza
Rare
Coalition - Gears

Lift London - Hololense.

What are the other 2?

4 are working on established IP, 1 core game studio (Rare) is working on new IP.

Somebodys already said this before but I think Microsofts strategy going forward is for their first party to work on the big guns, and other IP's are distributed to outside developers to diversify the lineup.
This is good for consumers because they get more than Halo and Forza, this is good for developers because their only obligation to MS is to finish and develop a game, this is good for MS as they dont have to fund the entire costs of running a studio constantly. Some would argue that the amount of first party studios they own could be a judgement of their commitment, I would say the amount of games they fund altogether is the right way to see how serious they are.

Effectively you could take your list and then add

The possibiliity of a new Microsoft IP- Anyone (apart from Nintendo and Sony)
The possibility of a returning existing IP- Anyone (apart from Nintendo and Sony)

Bsigg12

I'm anxious to see Halo Wars 2. I'm also interested to see what if any plans 343 has for sustain with Halo 5.

Outside of Warzone Firefight, what else would they add in/would you want in terms of major features? They have a pretty sizable amount of maps now with more on the way as well as a huge amount of REQ cards and cosmetic items.

When they closed studios, announced no more third party buyouts of exclusives and kinda gave up when it became apparent XB1 was a lost cause.

What exactly do you expect them to release in 2017? It used to be trolling to say "lol just forza and halo" but looking at their studios, it genuinely might just be Forza 7 and a sideline Halo game. Coalition is doing Gears this fall, Rare is doing Sea of Thieves this fall, Mojang don't seem to do anything new and Lift London is Hololens.

Good thing they have Scalebound and Crackdown 3 (Isn't this 2016 as well?), but at this point last year we knew about 10+ exclusives coming 2016 and beyond. What's on the horizon come the end of this year? Do you really think we'll get a spattering of new second party exclusives?

Crackdown 3 Multiplayer Beta is this Summer. They haven't announced when the actual game will come out. I have a hard time believing that Crackdown 3, The Full Experience will launch this year, but maybe it will.

So Crackdown 3 could actually end up being a 2017 game, with a 2016 Beta. Or it may be a 2016 title. That game, with the cloud stuff, may be more difficult than your standard game to get out the door.

MXRider

Yeah, we got there at like 3PM and just mulled around the mall for hours until they let us line up. Much alcohol was consumed!

I don't think 500 people total showed up overnight, so some people arrived at 11AM the next morning and got a pass too.. so sleeping overnight was totally not required.. haha. It was fun though.

I really want to go again.. and it provides a good excuse to get away from the wife & kids and day drink.. so we'll probably go early again.

Thats awesome that it isn't too crazy. Do they do anything fun while your waiting?

9?

Mojang - Minecraft
343 - Halo
Turn 10 - Forza
Rare
Coalition - Gears

Lift London - Hololense.

What are the other 2?

BIB: Honestly absurd, go look at my entire post history, I'm an Xbox fan I'd have no reason to be shitting on Microsoft. I am looking at the situation realistically (with a touch of pessimism). Don't call me a troll because you don't like opinions that aren't all rainbows.

I agree with your point about second party partnerships, perhaps they will pull a few unknowns out of the bag (and I sure hope they do) but last year we only got 1? ReCore (again, point out if I'm missing anything).

you 'think' another partnership with Frontier? I'm not pretending they're all working on Planet Coaster, I just assume they are. Do you have any evidence they are or arent?

Actually, my argument is at this point last year we knew loads of which was coming. They're gonna have to have a lot of these second party partnerships in place, because I don't think first party is gonna pick up the slack.

I really hope you're right and yes, it could very well be true they have a lot of partnerships in the work.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I have loads of awesome games coming, if I'm right, I'm right. Which sucks, so I hope I'm not.

This isn't all in my head tho, if you think the state of Xbox right now is as good as when XB1 launched, well we have to agree to disagree on that.

Mojang has put out more than Minecraft. It also takes like 5 seconds to see what studio they have.

The reason why we knew what was coming is because there were leaks. You are using a flawed argument that because MS went back to them preventing that as they did from 2009-2014, this means they likely have nothing to show.

How does that make any sense? It doesn't.

Miles X

Mojang has put out more than Minecraft. It also takes like 5 seconds to see what studio they have.

The reason why we knew what was coming is because there were leaks. You are using a flawed argument that because MS went back to them preventing that as they did from 2009-2014, this means they likely have nothing to show.

How does that make any sense? It doesn't.

Yeah, I literally just remembered Cobalt.

Also, I'm looking, and I'm not seeing 9. Unless you're counting the Xbox Fitness and Solitair studios (really hope you're not) ...

link1201

Outside of Warzone Firefight, what else would they add in/would you want in terms of major features? They have a pretty sizable amount of maps now with more on the way as well as a huge amount of REQ cards and cosmetic items.
A pie in the sky want/wish?

A better more thought out Spartan ops season/Campaign addition.

Aside from that they could add new vehicles to the game, aerial unsc vehicle specifically.

I own most reqs and would love the additions to Continue.

My *updated* MS E3 predictions:

-The next Forza game is a full Forza Horizon / Fast and Furious 9 Tie in
-Xbox Slim announcement, $299.
-Ninja Theory is working on another game alongside Hellblade, announced as AAA XB1/Win10 exclusive (my bold, shot in the dark prediction)
-Original Xbox BC on Xbox One. In preview "today." Digital game store for OG Xbox, all games ~$5-10
-Multidisc 360 BC working in preview on XB1, launching Fall 2016 starting with ME 2 and 3
-New game from Undead Labs
-Recore: gameplay, releasing August 2016
-Scalebound Release date and more gameplay
-Crackdown Beta info and date
-Sea of Thieves gameplay and date
-Gears campaign footage
-Halo Wars 2 dated November 2016
-Tacoma release trailer and date, XB1/Win10, 2017
-Big (AAA) fall 2017 exclusive teased. Not Halo or Gears

My hopes for the show:
-Don't play it so safe. MS's E3 for 2014 and 2015 were very well done, but also felt very safe.
-We get a surprise megaton new game announcement
-New IP. I think each year at E3 that I can remember, my favorite thing that I saw was something I wasn't expecting.

What I hope they keep out of the E3 briefing:
-Hololens: A neat device, but I don't think it has very strong applications for gaming. I thought this was the low point of their show last year
-Minecraft: While a huge franchise, I don't think it brings the kind of excitement people are hoping for during an E3 briefing
-A car: I think the Forza games are great, but I don't think showing a real car on stage builds any excitement.
-Games from 3rd party publishers. Last year they had a portion of the same Fallout 4 demo that was shown just 12 hours prior at the Bethesda briefing. This year Bethesda and EA both show before MS. If they have partnerships like this in place, hopefully it's either new material, or these announcements are kept brief (unless it's more ME:A footage...)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The fanfest is legit guys, just make sure to bring a blanket. It's cold early june in L.A. I flew in the saturday night from texas, got to the line as soon as possible. The wait was totally worth it, being at the xbox press conference (got to get into the ps press conference too!)

Also, they gave away tickets to e3 last year, that is worth mentioning. And the after party is legit, got to play cuphead, rock band 4, and met keiji inafune!

If I had money, i'd totally fly out again.

SOR5

I remember one of the many lost features of the original Xbox being Dreamcast emulation through the disc, a deal that fell through because of many different factors.

In todays context, what would the possibility of this be today? I am open to being called an dingbat for even posing this question.

Akai__

Halo Wars 2 is all I need to see from MS. The other stuff is just a nice extra. :p

I do wonder if they will save up things for Gamescom again?

Xone9

Banned
quick Predicts:

1. Xbox Slim (same guts, sorry folks, just slimmer, thank god I can travel with it now) - Windows 10 apps support I guess?

2. NFC Controller with support for Halo Wars 2 (Microsoft will have Halo Amiibos, first game to use them is Halo Wars 2).

3. Sea of Thieves playable

4. Xbox Jr. (replaces Xbox 360, no Disc drive, plays all 360 games via DL, external HD support, 64gb built in, $99 takes on Apple TV, ROku, Steam, etc)

5. New Forza info

6. Battletoads, etc demos

theWB27

I meant I feel they're entering a coasting stage, I think up until now they've done very well, last fall wasn't as ... diverse and new as it could have been though.

It's not really going to fix anything, I just don't ever see them having a good shot in the console space again tbh. If they were smart and built up a Steam competitor they could have a good output for their games. Or heck, even use Steam.

Shot at what? Supplanting Sony? Because other than that they're doing just fine in the console department.

But you're thing is to jump out of second place and xbox live revenue to go against steam?

I want every single MS game to be replaced with Battletoads equivalents.

ReToads
Scaletoads
Cracktoads
Battletoads Wars 2
Battle of Toads 4
Battletoads Motorsports
Sea of Toads

It's the only way they can win E3 for me
/s

Granjinha

Second party is just a more 'loyal' third party, there is a difference. You can always count of them to be working on exclusives unlike the random, sporadic ones from third party.

There's no difference. Also, there's no "loyalty", that's fanboy drivel.

Remedy isn't second party, neither is Insomniac. Going by that stupid logic (not yours, but generally people speaking about second party), Insomniac wouldn't make Sunset for XBox One.

Yall remember that one gaf member who hinted at a new banjo last year but was outed out being fake? Dude had my hype up for nothing ;_;
Yeah I remember that. However the Moreno think about it, I am not sure how a new Banjo would work or work at all in this day. Platformers are difficult to crack. I'd love to see the series return.

I am happy with Sea of Theives being Rares big title. It seems like something they have been wanting to work on since the N64 days.

Zukkoyaki

- Phil Spencer doing his thing. Wants to start with games coming this year
- Gears 4 gameplay demo to kick things off, release date for November
- Recore gameplay footage, release date for October
- Below trailer, release date for July as a summer arcade headliner
- Battletoads announced from a small studio, trailer/footage, release date for August as a summer arcade headliner
- Titanfall 2 footage
- Forza Horizon 3 trailer/footage, release date for September
- Sea of Thieves gameplay footage, beta release date for September, full game in 2017
- Halo Wars trailer, release date for November
- Spencer back to talk games coming in 2017 and beyond
- Tacoma trailer
- Undead Labs new IP announced, trailer/footage, coming in 2017
- Scalebound trailer/footage, release date for March 2017
- Mass Effect: Andromeda footage
- New IP from Mistwalker announced, trailer/footage, coming in 2017
- Detail some extensive Windows features coming to Xbox One
- Xbox Slim announced for $299, coming in September
- Banjo-Kazooie announced from Rare as a secret project they've been working on, coming in 2017

NEED RECORE GAMEPLAY NOW!

It's about goddamn time yeah, nothing since its reveal so far. But i do remember a tweet by Phil Spencer last year where he said he had seen some of the game and it was looking good. So surely we should be seeing it at E3 or perhaps GC. If not.... I'll give up any hope i have left for it.

Same here

Really? So people really are looking forward to a smaller Xbox One? If they want my rupees again, they better bring a much upgraded console. Not just smaller. Because it's pretty fine where it sits right now in my AV furniture.

- Phil Spencer doing his thing. Wants to start with games coming this year
- Gears 4 gameplay demo to kick things off, release date for November
- Recore gameplay footage, release date for October
- Below trailer, release date for July as a summer arcade headliner
- Battletoads announced from a small studio, trailer/footage, release date for August as a summer arcade headliner
- Titanfall 2 footage
- Forza Horizon 3 trailer/footage, release date for September
- Sea of Thieves gameplay footage, beta release date for September, full game in 2017
- Halo Wars trailer, release date for November
- Spencer back to talk games coming in 2017 and beyond
- Tacoma trailer
- Undead Labs new IP announced, trailer/footage, coming in 2017
- Scalebound trailer/footage, release date for March 2017
- Mass Effect: Andromeda footage
- New IP from Mistwalker announced, trailer/footage, coming in 2017
- Detail some extensive Windows features coming to Xbox One
- Xbox Slim announced for $299, coming in September
- Banjo-Kazooie announced from Rare as a secret project they've been working on, coming in 2017
I'm pretty sure Gears has already been confirmed for Oct.

Top Bottom