• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Fitness Pass (paid subscription service)

This would be amazing. I'd be down for this, no question. This is going to be really compelling if handled properly.

I cheat at P90 all the time. Tony yelling at me for not doing it right would be hilarious and motivating.

TrueGrime

A perk of what? If literally no one else in the world is charging for that perk, what is it a perk of on XBL? If they're just perks, they should be even easier to move outside of the wall in the hopes of not losing more and more consumers to consoles that don't charge.

I get what you're saying! However, I think the argument works only if you are purchasing the system not to go online with it. I honestly don't know a single person who has a 360 and not an XBL subscription. Simply, you pay for the entire online entertainment package.

JaggedSac

A nice one. LOL

Actually my fiancee is a trainer at a gym so I only pay half of that and she gets a fee membership. We are getting 160 worth of membership for $43 per month.

Ah, I see. I guess that isn't too bad now that I think about it. A local YMCA costs $78 a month.

Zoe

Ones a video, ones a computer program with a powerful sensor that can process data. Come on.

He's saying that the workout probably isn't going to dynamically change if you just sit on your ass while everyone on screen is working away.

(at least the established BeachBody programs)

I guess this might appeal to people who would pay for a gym subscription if it's substantially cheaper (It seems obvious that it would be).

I wouldn't buy into this though as I had no luck with stuff like Yourshape. That and I've no interest in another subscription in my life. Between this and the pay-to-play Wii U sports stuff, there certainly seems like a lot of options to pay for exercise.

So much entitlement in here. I deserve to be skinny M$! You're a billion dollar company, make me skinny for $60!

This sounds fantastic btw, if you get access to different workouts for the cost of a gym membership, I see tons of people using this. Personal trainers at the gym charge upwards of $300 a month to give you half the amount of feedback I can see this giving.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So much entitlement in here. I deserve to be skinny M$! You're a billion dollar company, make me skinny for $60!

Stop it with the entitlement bullshit. If they want to have a fitness subscription fee, that's fine. Just don't put it behind Gold. How is that being entitled?

Since Kinect can track heart rate and stuff like now, it would be interesting if the trainers say slow down and pace your self if your heart is beating out of chest or to check your form since kinect has a accurate read based on what body part is getting the most weight on it:

ces-8-2.jpg

that could be a really cool use of Kinect.

heelo

Banned
Three thoughts:

1. Yes! I've been ringing the "Kinect 2 is going to be awesome for fitness" bell for months now, and I'm glad to see that MS hasn't been oblivious to the potential as well. Assuming all the skeletal tracking and heartrate stuff works, this thing is going to be amazing. Naturally there will be a phone app that will nag you, and you will be able to join groups with your friends and share your progress and challenge them to goals and such stuff. Stuff like this significantly broadens the market for a console.
  2. Conflicted about the free year. The fact that they're giving it away free for a year means one of three possible things, none of them good:
    (1) They're planning on making this expensive ($9.99/mo. or higher) and they want to "hook" people,
    (2) The thing is half-baked at the moment, and so it's probably going to be a glorified beta for the first year or so, or
    (3) the gaming library roadmap for Xbox One is so barren for the first year (basically up until the launch of the new Halo title in November 2014), that giving away this program is their version of bundling a free Kinect game.
  3. Conflicted about the subscription model. Think of it this way: If this were merely sold as a boxed title, they'd be able to charge $60 for it (and much more if it came boxed with branded workout gear as well, like jump rope and pushup bars and resistance bands, etc.). We know that the vast majority of people don't stick with their workout program, and that what keeps most people from cancelling their gym membership is some combination of (1) the self-deception that they'll start back up again any day now, (2) being too lazy to truck over to the gym to cancel, and (3) some degree of embarrassment involved in telling the gym person that they've given up. But on a digital platform, none of these should be present. Joining/cancelling should be a relatively simple matter of selecting a box in your Gold account profile (IT BETTER BE, MS!), it takes no energy/effort to do so, and there isn't a person on the other end of the transaction to feel embarrassed in front of.

That means they have to project that the number of people who join, for what must be a projected average membership of three months, must offset the revenue as they would have received had they charged $60 up front. Does that necessarily mean $20/month? No, because they have to figure that they'll get more people to try it if the barrier to entry isn't a lump sum payment of $60. Furthermore, this can't be a super-sweet deal (along the lines of $2.99/mo that makes it a break-even proposition on MS' bottom line but adds value to Gold) because they would completely undercut their software partners like Activision and EA who want to sell you their own $60 fitness titles.

Based on this, I'm guessing that when pricing is revealed, it will be $14.99/month. However, there remains a possibility that it will be priced like a traditional gym membership, with a $30 "sign-up fee" and a $4.99/month "membership fee."

Heysoos

Going to need it after all those Mnt Dews and Doritos!

I wouldn't be opposed to subbing this. Since it's free until 2014 I'll definitely give it a try.

Tsundere

Banned
Ones a video, ones a computer program with a powerful sensor that can process data. Come on.

Uhhh, I really think you're misunderstanding what this is.

It's access to the videos, but with "feedback" (Kinect calculated feedback) and "social challenges" (i.e. see what your friends are doing and you can compete).

Introducing the future of fitness. Experience the world’s best workouts with instant, personalized feedback, right in your home on Xbox Fitness. Train with Jillian Michaels, Tracy Anderson, P90X, Insanity and more. Optimize every workout with immediate feedback on your form, power and heart rate with the all new Kinect, featuring Muscle Mapping, Power Gauge, and Pulse. Plus, feed your motivation with social challenges. Unlimited access is yours with an Xbox Live Gold membership through November 2014. Only on Xbox One.*

x-drake

Neo Member
So some of you want them to also moneyhat them companies?

You lot complaining about two subscriptions, do know the price of p90x? and the price of Instanity? And whatever else? Seriously, people are okay with XBL, now this is news, they want this for free as well. While it would be lovely, its unreasonable.

As long as the price is reasonable, then its a win. Best thing would be to have this live XBL stand alone, where you can get this only but no online games etc.

hoos30

We have no idea of the price. I don't see the point of bitching about the second sub until we see the price. Is there going to be any upfront fee? We know the content like Insanity and P90X is pricey as hell on its own.

IF it is a quality program, with those names (licenses) I could see it being expensive enough where MS has to split the cost over two subs to make it reasonable. Meaning, they subsidize the fitness cost from XBLG fees so that the true cost (1 millions dollars!!) is not exposed to the end users.

If XBLG + fitness fee together are high, okay, then bitch about it loudly.

EDIT: This is obviously different from shit like Netflix which should NOT be behind the Xbox paywall.

This really sounds awesome. P90x + Kinect is exactly what I wanted.

Now if they can make this Xbox Fitness work with Withings and Fitbit wi-fi scales it will be awesome for tracking your progress all in one place. Fitbit and Nike Fuelband support would be excellent too.

Integration with these and this will be perfect.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Did everyone on GAF lose the capability to read or comprehend the english language?

*Some Xbox Fitness content may not be available with Xbox Live Gold, and may vary over time.

After November 2014 there are certain features that require another sub but some will also continue to work without this sub. We don't know what these features are or to the extent of how they will affect the game. I swear this website is terrible with comments like "typical Microsoft garbage" you guys do realize what a joke you're making this website look like to the rest of the internet right?

Who cares if they do charge for some extra features? For all we know it's a bunch of new content that will be added on November 2014 that will cost another sub, these fitness programs are not cheap.

This really sounds awesome. P90x + Kinect is exactly what I wanted.

Now if they can make this Xbox Fitness work with Withings and Fitbit wi-fi scales it will be awesome for tracking your progress all in one place. Fitbit and Nike Fuelband support would be excellent too.

Integration with these and this will be perfect.

That would be awesome! I can see a situation where Kinect takes a picture of you every day after your workout (or before) and then does a quick timelapse at the end of a whole program to show your progress.

Zukuu

Banned
Are people seriously falling for this? There is no magical work out via television. Drag your asses to a local gym and get in shape much faster, much more efficient.

sangreal

Are people seriously falling for this? There is no magical work out via television. Drag your asses to a local gym and get in shape much faster, much more efficient.

There is nothing magic about it, p90x and similar programs are great at-home cardio routines that have worked wonders for many people

TrueGrime

Um..

Yeah. I'll pay for a gym membership to take a cardio class.

Or, wait, I'll just pay hundreds of dollars for P90X, Insanity, Etc.

Or I can, you know, try this out totally free for a year.

Stop it with the entitlement bullshit. If they want to have a fitness subscription fee, that's fine. Just don't put it behind Gold. How is that being entitled?

Yeah this. I think the 2 sub model is dumb because it would require gold, not because they want to charge more for it. They should just make it separate and I think that's totally reasonable; if this lives up to expectations it could easily justify a separate charge.

cmgfender

Banned

Uhhhhh this is wrong

Insanity, P90x, etc....A gym is a tool. P90x is a tool. This is a tool.

They all just require the effort to actually do them.

heelo

Banned
There is nothing magic about it, p90x and similar programs are great at-home cardio routines that have worked wonders for many people

Exactly.

Famously, the single most useful piece of equipment that you can use in the gym is pencil-and-paper, because planning and tracking your progress is an extremely important element of being able to stick with your workout.

If Kinect can allow the virtual trainer to go beyond just that, and get to allowing it to say "You didn't go down far enough on that pushup, I'm not giving you credit for that one!" and notice you quitting early and/or losing your form toward the end of certain exercises and offering to decrease the length of time in exchange for focus on strong performance throughout the length of the activity, the value is going to be immense.

UNCMark

Banned

Falling for this? Are you that blind to reality? People who work long hours and have kids can't just run to the gym. This is a great service.

srd4484

Banned
Free for a year would be awesome. My wife would actually use this. I already preordered her Just Dance. I will use it for a week like i used the juicer i purchased :(

Miletius

This could be interesting if done right. It really depends on the additional value given to the service. If it's just videos of the routines, I can get that on Craiglist for $ 50.00 a set.

I'd love it if were more in depth than that, but I don't forsee it being that way. Also gold, double paywall, blah, kind of annoying.

I also wouldn't discount this coming to the PS4 or even the WiiU/PC (well, that's less likely) at some point either though. Especially if it's just videos.

KoopaTheCasual

you can pretty much tell that people who buy xbox one will be more successful in life than ps4 owners.

xbox one owners on average will in be a good career earning a good salary (proven by being able to afford an $500 luxury advice with multiple services at a affordable cost). they will on average be better looking and healthy (because they have no problems going on kinect and working out) and they will be more social with the likes of skype.

ps4 owners are fat mommys boys who have to buy the cheaper console because their mommys give them less money to buy with and they're too scared to play online because they have the social skills of a hamburger.

I get excited whenever I see a Chinner post, and the people who respond to him with no sense of sarcasm.

I stand by my tag.

Microsoft should just cut the pretense and add a credit card reader to their console. They seem to have their hand out asking for more money at every turn. What "value" is a Gold membership even providing these days?

Just hold your card in front of the Kinect camera and it'll read the number for you. You don't even have to key it in!

TrueGrime

I stand by my tag.

Microsoft should just cut the pretense and add a credit card reader to their console. They seem to have their hand out asking for more money at every turn. What "value" is a Gold membership even providing these days?

I don't know.. the same thing PS4 users are getting that PS3 users didn't have. With the subscribers fee too. :)

Top Bottom