• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Fitness Pass (paid subscription service)

heelo

Banned
Just hold your card in front of the Kinect camera and it'll read the number for you. You don't even have to key it in!

I think you're joking, but is this true?

I know that the Xbox team implemented insert-XBLG-code-via-Kinect, but have they done the same for credit cards? That would actually be pretty sweet!

One of my hopes for Kinect 2 is that I'll never have to use an onscreen keyboard ever again.

I think you're joking, but is this true?

I know that the Xbox team implemented insert-XBLG-code-via-Kinect, but have they done the same for credit cards? That would actually be pretty sweet!

One of my hopes for Kinect 2 is that I'll never have to use an onscreen keyboard ever again.

Considering a Windows Phone can do OCR and read text and convert it instantly to any language as part of the basic Bing search app there is no reason why a Kinect couldn't read the text off off a credit card if you hold it close enough.

The Bing Optical Character Recognition (OCR) Control

How to use your phone camera as an OCR

I've entered newspaper articles into OneNote using just the Bing visual search and the "copy all" menu option.

grumble

If they could really revolutionize home exercise programs with this device, it makes it a lot more interesting. That could be a big deal if done right; real time heart rate and positional feedback could be a big deal.

Miles X

Why are people bitching about two subscriptions? They're not gonna offer this as free on Gold are they. It's the equiv of buying EA Fitness or whatever, you're not spending any extra cash.

2 subscriptions??? My gym membership is cheaper than that. Might as well put it to good use.

Cheaper than $40 a year plus another unknown amount? Sure it is ...

UNCMark

Banned
Why are people bitching about two subscriptions? They're not gonna offer this as free on Gold are they.

I hate the two subscriptions, but you've got what I think is wrong about it reversed. I feel like an XBL subscription shouldnt be required to access the fitness stuff, but a pass for the fitness stuff should be.

heelo

Banned
Considering a Windows Phone can do OCR and read text and convert it instantly to any language as part of the basic Bing search app there is no reason why a Kinect couldn't read the text off off a credit card if you hold it close enough.

The Bing Optical Character Recognition (OCR) Control

How to use your phone camera as an OCR

I've entered newspaper articles into OneNote using just the Bing visual search and the "copy all" menu option.

Naturally it's technically feasible, but I was wondering if this was a feature that they were really going to implement, along the lines of "Enter your credit card number using the keypad below, or by holding approximately three feet in front of your Kinect until you hear the beep" during account setup.

The idea of a subscription is a horrible one.

Just sell it as a standalone app/game, with the purchase price entitling people to a year of service. Then iterate annually.

Same end result, but with less bullshit.

Ding

That sounds really cool. But two subscriptions? Come on.
Totally. If this keeps up, soon I'll have to pay separate monthly bills from my ISP and electric company too!

Come on people. Your Gold subscription (as well as whatever Sony calls their equivalent service) just pays for for the general online infrastructure which the platform-holder maintains. (File servers, chat servers, game servers, etc.) Subscriptions to services that are above and beyond that, (MMOs, Netflix, ESPN, NBA, F2P point-doublers, etc.) are always going to cost extra. Just as they would be "extra" if there wasn't a charge for Live.

Miles X

Last one I went to was 10 dollars a month and the trainer was pretty much just a fat guy flicking lit cigarette butts at my ass.

$10? Over here it's £30 a year.

Either way, you're not buying XBL GOLD for this, it's pretty much considered an already have for most xbox owners. So if you want the fitness app you're only having to think about the price of that, of which we don't know what it is yet.

Either way these 'Gym is cheaper' posts are absurd and untrue.

What gym are you in? is it near Glasgow?

Why are people bitching about two subscriptions? They're not gonna offer this as free on Gold are they. It's the equiv of buying EA Fitness or whatever, you're not spending any extra cash.

Cheaper than $40 a year plus another unknown amount? Sure it is ...

is your gym in the middle of the jungle
It's $29 annual at 24 hour fitness. Its a renewal from a plan I had back in 2007. For the first 3 years, the total cost was $599.99 for 3 years years paid up front. Divided it by months, it averages to $16.66638888 or $16.67 rounded up. My prior membership fee was $21.99 per month with black out dates and only at 1 gym. New membership allows me to go any 24 hour gym with the exception of ultra sport with no black out dates at any location. This predated Super Sport tier gyms btw. Once my initial 3 year plan came to an end. They let me renew it at the low cost of $29 annual.
So it's $599.99 from 2007 to 2010. From 2010 ro 2013, it costed me $87. Crazy huh?
Funny thing is I have yet to see them offer this plan since then knowing how great it is.
Btw, I can't go to Super Sport either, but for what I pay, I'm not complaining at the slightest.

Come on people. Your Gold subscription (as well as whatever Sony calls their equivalent service) just pays for for the general online infrastructure which the platform-holder maintains. (File servers, chat servers, game servers, etc.) Subscriptions to services that are above and beyond that, (MMOs, Netflix, ESPN, NBA, F2P point-doublers, etc.) are always going to cost extra. Just as they would be "extra" if there wasn't a charge for Live.
Do we know what infrastructure is being used here? I don't see anything here that couldn't use local storage.

And I don't subscribe to the infrastructure argument, as by that logic IE and Netflix and other apps would be available with silver.

Over delivering on value. I mean, they can't even give an Xbox Branded Service for free with your subscription. You have to pay your subscription, get it free for a year then after that, pay again? Seriously, this is a rip off and it's another camouflage Apple tactic. Actually, im not even sure Apple does this anymore.

The two subscriptions is no big deal. People pay shit tons of money for fitness junk they never or barely use. If its new and different, people will pay it because they think its the thing that will finally help them conquer their gut and avoid amputating their feet due to crippling diabetes. Then they'll ignore it entirely and hit up McDonald's instead. All while the charges ding their credit card every month.

MS is going to make bank on this.

Ubersnug

One thing I'm not sure people has considered is the price of the beachbody workouts that are being opened up to us. If the subscription gives us access to some, if not all, the beachbody library, that Is potentially a huge saving there. Insanity itself cost around £100 in the uk. P90X costs more. Given that there seems to be additional, personal content being provided - perhaps in the form of personal training or some sort of feedback from personal trainers the monthly/yearly sub will probably be a shit load cheaper than buying these things individually.

Not only that, will probably be much cheaper than a yearly gym membership too.

srd4484

Banned
You can tell who is trollin and hate MS. There're all saying "behind 2 paywalls". I think they know this is a megaton for many many exercise fans that aren't on Neogaf all day.

This is great. Free for the 1st year. Your own personal trainer at home for less. Heart rate readings. Can't wait!

The two subscriptions is no big deal. People pay shit tons of money for fitness junk they never or barely use. If its new and different, people will pay it because they think its the thing that will finally help them conquer their gut and avoid amputating their feet due to crippling diabetes. Then they'll ignore it entirely and hit up McDonald's instead. All while the charges ding their credit card every month.

MS is going to make bank on this.
Why do I see so many posts that pat MS on the back for taking advantage of the ignorance of the average consumer.

Its a disturbing trend.

srd4484

Banned
Over delivering on value. I mean, they can't even give an Xbox Branded Service for free with your subscription. You have to pay your subscription, get it free for a year then after that, pay again? Seriously, this is a rip off and it's another camouflage Apple tactic. Actually, im not even sure Apple does this anymore.

Get over it. This is big news for many people. And how is this a rip off?

UNCMark

Banned
$10? Over here it's £30 a year.

Either way, you're not buying XBL GOLD for this, it's pretty much considered an already have for most xbox owners. So if you want the fitness app you're only having to think about the price of that, of which we don't know what it is yet.

I was semi-kidding about the gym. My gym pass is subsidized by my university.

Bsigg12

Why do I see so many posts that pat MS on the back for taking advantage of the ignorance of the average consumer.

Its a disturbing trend.

Isn't that what the point of every company is? Make money off people's ignorance?

They're offering a service, which is free until Nov 2014 with a Gold Sub but then will require a sub to Xbox Fitness to access the videos. I don't see anything wrong with this. People who don't want to go to a gym can use these, and theoretically have performance and efficiency tracked which is huge in fitness.

Having social hooks in this will be big. Part of being successful with fitness is having motivation from people around you. Being able to compare performance and talk about it with others will help keep people who aren't constantly in the gym motivated. There's a lot of potential here.

JaggedSac

The idea of a subscription is a horrible one.

Just sell it as a standalone app/game, with the purchase price entitling people to a year of service. Then iterate annually.

Same end result, but with less bullshit.

If it is $60 for a year's pass paid in a lump up front, that is effectively the same thing as you are saying. And that is something you can do with both XBox Live and XBox Music, so it isn't outside the realm of possibility, and is in fact, most likely to happen...if anybody even uses it when it is free with Gold.

Its a disturbing trend.

What part is taking advantage of the consumer's ignorance? Having to pay for Gold to even get the chance to pay for the Fitness thing? Just curious.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Microsoft is in bed with P90X. Sony is in bed with Taco Bell.

I mean clearly we can extrapolate target demographics from this information.

Xbone One confirmed for hardcore patrician alpha gamers. S Class humans.

Lol, what happened to getting off your ass, moving! Walking! Eating proper food, if people did this there would be no need for personal trainers lol

Exercise and diet isn't as bad as people make out. It changes most peoples lifestyles. Suppose we all gave to start somewhere though, rather than if you would like a six pack today you can buy it at a liquor store.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/z_area51/RFTest/malibu (dead)

z_area51 is the staging area where they test out pages still in development so that is why there are no screenshots and the info is subject to change. Sometimes for whatever reason these pages are exposed to public (just google xbox fitness pass and you will find this page).

The "game" itself is not really surprising, they demoed the functionality at E3 and the xboxfitness domains made the news. I've even posted about this page a few times before (it has been up for at least a few weeks). That said, the page was updated in the last few days to indicate that it is part of a subscription service in the same vein as Xbox Music Pass and I thought that was an interesting development:

It remains to be seen how exactly it will work but if they actually provide the full p90x etc programs I might be interested. Also, lol at 2 subs required

demo of the muscle mapping from e3: http://youtu.be/bydLSVVuaRM?t=7m50s

bonus: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/z_area51/hub (xbox one demo tour)

Awesome! Another added bonus to my subscription to play online MP. Edit... just read the very bottom part... 2 --2--2 subs for this! Now that's some horse crap. No added bonus to me at all.

Pass.

Its a disturbing trend.
First of all, I am neither saying I approve nor disapprove of MS doing this. Secondly, it's nothing new, as I pointed out. I don't care what they do. I'm not buying an XB1, let alone this program. You could argue MS has been ripping off consumers with Live for years. Certainly many on GAF have been saying that for a while now.

Isn't that what the point of every company is? Make money off people's ignorance?
No? You can get paid, and paid very well for providing honest value.

Mutually beneficial exchange. Its a thing.

First of all, I am neither saying I approve nor disapprove of MS doing this. Secondly, it's nothing new, as I pointed out. I don't care what they do. I'm not buying an XB1, let alone this program. You could argue MS has been ripping off consumers with Live for years. Certainly many on GAF have been saying that for a while now.
Sorry - my post really wasn't to put the spotlight on you, but on MS. I've just seen the "consumer ignorance" card played as justification for a lot of their policies. Not so much, if at all really, when it comes to their competition. I think thats a little telling.

Redshirt

Banned
I'm OK with a subscription as long as I'm getting new content regularly and an advanced level of service.

I'm definitely excited to try it at least, and if I'm still using at the end of the free period, I will pay for it if we're talking about a cost in the ballpark of Xbox Music.

Biker19

Banned
you can pretty much tell that people who buy xbox one will be more successful in life than ps4 owners.

xbox one owners on average will in be a good career earning a good salary (proven by being able to afford an $500 luxury advice with multiple services at a affordable cost). they will on average be better looking and healthy (because they have no problems going on kinect and working out) and they will be more social with the likes of skype.

ps4 owners are fat mommys boys who have to buy the cheaper console because their mommys give them less money to buy with and they're too scared to play online because they have the social skills of a hamburger.

LMAO, you can't be serious with this post.

you can pretty much tell that people who buy xbox one will be more successful in life than ps4 owners.

xbox one owners on average will in be a good career earning a good salary (proven by being able to afford an $500 luxury advice with multiple services at a affordable cost). they will on average be better looking and healthy (because they have no problems going on kinect and working out) and they will be more social with the likes of skype.

ps4 owners are fat mommys boys who have to buy the cheaper console because their mommys give them less money to buy with and they're too scared to play online because they have the social skills of a hamburger.

Oh, you've got to be kidding me here?

111.gif

Top Bottom