• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Fitness Pass (paid subscription service)

Well if the second subscription includes the fitness programs (like P90 and Insanity) then that wouldn't be bad, those thing are pretty expensive afaik

I don't disagree. I just think that it should be part of Gold considering it provides absolutely no value at the moment. They're convincing you guys to double dip again - and succeeding!

btkadams

this actually sounds pretty cool. it's pretty lame that it's a second subscription though. i'm curious to see the price.

i could see myself being into this down the road if the price is fair and if it works well.

you can pretty much tell that people who buy xbox one will be more successful in life than ps4 owners.

xbox one owners on average will in be a good career earning a good salary (proven by being able to afford an $500 luxury advice with multiple services at a affordable cost). they will on average be better looking and healthy (because they have no problems going on kinect and working out) and they will be more social with the likes of skype.

ps4 owners are fat mommys boys who have to buy the cheaper console because their mommys give them less money to buy with and they're too scared to play online because they have the social skills of a hamburger.

Haha, good one !

rrs

Seems like a great use of the Kinect's features, why didn't Microsoft say anything about it earlier? This could be the other weapon used to grab casual gamer interest even if it costs a load of money a month.

TrueGrime

People complaining about a subscription fee after the first year ends must not know how much fitness programs cost nowadays.

No kidding. Especially if the first year is free. It is at least good to try. I know for a fact it will cost less than what I pay for 24 hour gym in a month. Not to mention that CD programs like P90X, Insanity, etc.. are outrageously expensive too.

Barzul

I don't disagree. I just think that it should be part of Gold considering it provides absolutely no value at the moment. They're convincing you guys to double dip again - and succeeding!
It's free for a year*. That's the incentive. If it's good enough, I will double dip. Interactive P90x sounds really awesome to me. I always wanted to try it out, but really couldn't excuse the cost, when I could just go to a gym.

*With Gold.

UNCMark

Banned
you can pretty much tell that people who buy xbox one will be more successful in life than ps4 owners.

xbox one owners on average will in be a good career earning a good salary (proven by being able to afford an $500 luxury advice with multiple services at a affordable cost). they will on average be better looking and healthy (because they have no problems going on kinect and working out) and they will be more social with the likes of skype.

ps4 owners are fat mommys boys who have to buy the cheaper console because their mommys give them less money to buy with and they're too scared to play online because they have the social skills of a hamburger.

I knew you were joking when you compared them to hamburgers. Hamburgers make more noise than gamers in Playstation online games.

No kidding. Especially if the first year is free. It is at least good to try. I know for a fact it will cost less than what I pay for 24 hour gym in a month. Not to mention that CD programs like P90X, Insanity, etc.. are outrageously expensive too.

Charge whatever is fair for the fitness app. But why make people interested in it double dip for the XBL-Gold membership? It's almost as if they're begging people to leave the Xbox ecosystem.

sangreal

How is this better than a video?

The whole point of it is that you keep moving, to keep your heart rate up and muscles screaming, if something interrupts you to say your technique is shit then its fucked.
I've done p90x/insanity, he keeps saying "just do as many as you can do, don't worry about keeping up", so having something barking at you to do more won't work either.

Could be good for yoga though, I guess.

He also interrupts the other models to correct their technique

Barzul

The whole point of it is that you keep moving, to keep your heart rate up and muscles screaming, if something interrupts you to say your technique is shit then its fucked.
I've done p90x/insanity, he keeps saying "just do as many as you can do, don't worry about keeping up", so having something barking at you to do more won't work either.

No one knows yet that's the point. And that's why it's a good thing MS made it free for a year.

You guys? I'm not getting an Xbox One, at least not for a long time. I'll likely hold off on a PS4 as well until I learn more about the Steambox thingie

Superflat

I think they should let this function without the need for XBLG. Ditto for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video etc. Defend it all you want, but I stand by my assertion that it's needlessly greedy.

Yep. I'd happily sign up and pay for a streaming fitness program because they're really expensive standalone, but I think it's abnormal that MS is forcing the XBLG tax in front of practically any app that requires an internet connection. It's the principle, damnit!

But the free first year is a definite plus. You can get through both insanity and p90x in less than half a year, and they each cost like 120-140 bucks.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

Are you serious? Why don't people just use a video instead of a personal trainer then.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
One set of those DVDs and a PS4 is less than an Xbone and a year of Gold.

The difference being this being a sub means it can evolve over time. I bet they add new videos and workouts for subscribers. I'm not so certain this will just be P90X plopped onto the service, I can see it being custom content made specifically for Xbox fitness by the trainers.

ah sorry!

I don't see how this is different from any other service

i.e Music Unlimited for Sony should be free by some logic here after they start charging for online with the PS4?

It is not being forced on anyone and is beneficial for those who do want to take part

It's not the same thing at all. We're laughing at you needing Gold to access the subscription you paid for.

Music Unlimited and PS Plus are entirely separate services. You don't need the other to use the other one like you need Gold to access Fitness here. To play video games online, you need PS Plus but it won't get you music. To stream music, you need Music Unlimited but you do not need PS Plus for it.

TrueGrime

Charge whatever is fair for the fitness app. But why make people interested in it double dip for the XBL-Gold membership? It's almost as if they're begging people to leave the Xbox ecosystem.

I just have to see the price in order to see if it is well worth a second subscription. I mean.. you're getting it free for a year. You're telling me that getting a year's worth free before deciding to go with it or not is a bad thing?

As for the XBL subscription. I make it a point not to bitch over the subscriptions or any other apps behind the paywall. You still have to pay for those other apps too. Right now I pay $90 for internet, $80 for phone, $50 for cable, etc.. a month. I pay $60 a year for live which is by far the cheapest subscription I pay right now. I can say that if this program is worth it, another subscription won't break my bank. Especially when I'm forking over $500 + 3 games at $60 for launch.

FyreWulff

A neat idea needlessly gated behind Gold. If it needs it's own sub, it needs to be available to Silver users.

Pointlessly limiting their potential userbase

I think the Live paywall to access these other paid services is bullshit. I really wish they were separate entities. I don't game that much online and the services that Live offers me now aren't worth my $40-60/year.

I completely disagree with that aspect of their setup.

That said, this is pretty awesome. This is something I wanted with the P90X videos did. If they have stat tracking and able to talk to Kinect to input info (weight, reps, etc ... ) that would be awesome.

I think this type of service is the correct vision for what MS wants these to become. The problem is that you need to pay first before you can pay for these.

It's like paying a $10 cover charge to get into a mall. Or paying for iTunes so you can buy music. The point being, if you are selling additional services for your console, don't have us pay yearly just to be able to shop for these services.

EDIT: How does Kinect monitor your heartrate?

Rembrandt

Banned

Are you just posting in this topic to persuade people to buy a PS4 or what? We get it, it's cheaper and more powerful. Let's face it, though, Microsoft has been putting things behind a paywall for years and year and year, people say it will hurt them, but it never does and it won't until Sony offers an online service that is undeniably better or equal.

oti

Banned
It's free for a year, relax. Try it if you're interested and make up your mind whether it's worth the second subscription.

PG2G

While I think it sucks that you need Gold, it is what it is. Would be nice to discuss the actual service than use this as another platform to complain about paywalls.

UNCMark

Banned
I just have to see the price in order to see if it is well worth a second subscription. I mean.. you're getting it free for a year. You're telling me that getting a year's worth free before deciding to go with it or not is a bad thing?

As for the XBL subscription. I make it a point not to bitch over the subscriptions or any other apps behind the paywall. You still have to pay for those other apps too. Right now I pay $90 for internet, $80 for phone, $50 for cable, etc.. a month. I pay $60 a year for live which is by far the cheapest subscription I pay right now. I can say that if this program is worth it, another subscription won't break my bank. Especially when I'm forking over $500 + 3 games at $60 for launch.

I pay a lot for subscriptions each year too, but we're headed into a new console generation. The competition isn't charging for me to access apps that I already pay a subscription for, yet Microsoft continues to do so. Why? People, myself included, won't jump ship in huge numbers in the middle of a console lifecycle, but they'll jump at the start. It seems like Microsoft can't bring themselves to allow others to make money on their console without seeing a piece of it themselves. Not to be a drama queen, but I think that's going to be the death of them. Why are they so unwilling to capitulate on the paywall?

TrueGrime

I fail to see the reasoning behind the paywall argument. Especially since that most of those apps you can view standalone on a PC. Or even better yet, my samsung TV let's you choose those apps to view. You just need to pay for the app of course.

I can understand if those apps were exclusive to XBL only, but if you can use them on devices other than an Xbox then what's the problem?

srd4484

Banned
Enough with the 2 subscription crap. It's an additional service that if you want to use it, you pay the subscription fee. You think these trainers work for free? Keep you xbox hate at the door.

Sean

Banned
Well obviously not and no one here is implying that they would / should work for free. The implication would be that Microsoft would take the burden of the cost here in order to give more value to a Live subscription. Are you implying that such a scenario is impossible given the amount of resources Microsoft has at their disposal?

It's certainly not impossible, but it doesn't make much business sense.

Is the PS4 going to measure your heartrate? See that you are using the correct muscles etc?

I would say to go to the gym, not sure why people need gimmicks for encouragement but if it can really see that you are using the correct muscles that can be really awesome actually. Many people go to the gym and they don't realize if they are doing an exercise correctly.

watership

Not quite, it'll depend on the subscription cost and duration. It's essentially $499 + $60 + Y to get started. Most of these training programs are available in videos.

How do you reasonably compare a video with an interactive program that changes with a precision body sensor?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

And this offers seemingly both so why did you stop and include only the price of one? You're also ignoring that Kinect offers you much more than a simple DVD can.

I'm not sure why people are going on about having 2 subs, we've known for a long time that things like netflix, which require a sub, are still behind the gold paywall. This isn't a surprise to anyone.

UNCMark

Banned
I fail to see the reasoning behind the paywall argument. Especially since that most of those apps you can view standalone on a PC. Or even better yet, my samsung TV let's you choose those apps to view. You just need to pay for the app of course.

I can understand if those apps were exclusive to XBL only, but if you can use them on devices other than an Xbox then what's the problem?

You just made the case for why XBL-Gold shouldn't be required for all those extra apps.

This stuff are ridiculous, subscription for everything, this situation with next gen systems be a multimedia centers that sucks money for every app they offering after you are a subscriber to the main services that is the console it self.

More worrying is that Sony is on that boat too.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/25/s...laystation-content-to-other-devices/#comments

Sony sees the future of playstation as service. So micro transactions and apps and subscriptions for games. Is this a future that is already planned for the industry then sorry I will not participate. I like to buy and own the games that I play until the end of time.

At least Nintendo is still offering the standard console with the usual business model that we all know.

TrueGrime

I pay a lot for subscriptions each year too, but we're headed into a new console generation. The competition isn't charging for me to access apps that I already pay a subscription for, yet Microsoft continues to do so. Why? People, myself included, won't jump ship in huge numbers in the middle of a console lifecycle, but they'll jump at the start. It seems like Microsoft can't bring themselves to allow others to make money on their console without seeing a piece of it themselves. Not to be a drama queen, but I think that's going to be the death of them. Why are they so unwilling to capitulate on the paywall?

You just made the case for why XBL-Gold shouldn't be required for all those extra apps.

Really? I thought I made a case for: I don't have XBL to access the apps that are on it. The apps are just a perk.

It does sound good for people that would use the service. Although I go for long walks for my fitness (between 7 and 10 miles on a weekend) so i wouldn't subscribe.

UNCMark

Banned
Really? I thought I made a case for: I don't have XBL to access the apps that are on it. The apps are just a perk.

A perk of what? If literally no one else in the world is charging for that perk, what is it a perk of on XBL? If they're just perks, they should be even easier to move outside of the wall in the hopes of not losing more and more consumers to consoles that don't charge.

Top Bottom