• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Anyone playing Gotham City Impostors? It's kind of a workout as far as XBLA games go! Massive achievements and endless unlocks... Pretty fun though!

I believe we had found one game that gave us trouble but that's it.
Really? Are you signing her profile in before you sign yours out? Because every XBLA game I've ever been signed-out of has booted me back to the menu and defaulted to demo mode.

Any word on when The Pinball Arcade will be coming out? I'm waiting for that one with baited breath.
Because you've already played the crap out of the, like, 20+ tables for Pinball FX1 and 2? If not, you should remedy that. Also, Zen Pinball if you have a PS3.

Miles X

Seems like a good place to ask, will my XBLA games on my harddrive play on another xbox?

I heard that as long as you're online then they work?

Seems like a good place to ask, will my XBLA games on my harddrive play on another xbox?

I heard that as long as you're online then they work?

yeah, drm is tied to your gamertag and your console, just has to be either one. So you could play with a different gt on your console or play on a different console with your gt(logged into Live).

Can also transfer the console license if you get a new console.

Miles X

yeah, drm is tied to your gamertag and your console, just has to be either one. So you could play with a different gt on your console or play on a different console with your gt(logged into Live).

Can also transfer the console license if you get a new console.

Thanks Troy, PVZ here I come!

Alec

Deadlight is amazing. It's Limbo meets Pitfall, with zombies.

I Am Alive is amazing. It's Silent Hill + Fallout + Assassin's Creed.

Both of these games deserve your money.

Kind of off topic but recently I took my CC off file. Now I need to buy codes. Can I buy them off something like Amazon and get the code as soon as I buy it or am I looking at store visits and waiting for the mailman now for my codes?

Kind of off topic but recently I took my CC off file. Now I need to buy codes. Can I buy them off something like Amazon and get the code as soon as I buy it or am I looking at store visits and waiting for the mailman now for my codes?

Yep, you can buy a code on Amazon (just make sure you buy the direct download version and not the card) and there will be a button on the page that you can click to get the code immediately. It's a great service. There's no reason to ever put your CC on your Xbox.

Yep, you can buy a code on Amazon (just make sure you buy the direct download version and not the card) and there will be a button on the page that you can click to get the code immediately. It's a great service. There's no reason to ever put your CC on your Xbox.

Wow thank you that is awesome.

Baron

Because you've already played the crap out of the, like, 20+ tables for Pinball FX1 and 2? If not, you should remedy that. Also, Zen Pinball if you have a PS3.

If one is a fan of Pinball Hall of Fame/Pinball Arcade, one probably prefers its renditions of actual tables and real-world physics over the cartoon worlds of pinball that have been produced by Zen.

legbone

If one is a fan of Pinball Hall of Fame/Pinball Arcade, one probably prefers its renditions of actual tables and real-world physics over the cartoon worlds of pinball that have been produced by Zen.

amen! i picked up pinball hall of fame a couple of months ago and have not touched pinball fx since. makes me regret spending so much on pinball fx. hall of fame is so much better. physics are dead on. i cannot wait for their new game.

I've played the crap out of Pinball FX2 but that just makes me want Pinball Arcade even more! I fucking LOVE pinball and would buy 80 pinball games if they existed!

What? Zen doesn't do cartoon pinball. All tables I've played could be physical tables. (Granted, I haven't gotten into FX2 yet.)

I've played the crap out of Pinball FX2 but that just makes me want Pinball Arcade even more! I fucking LOVE pinball and would buy 80 pinball games if they existed!
Good man, that's awesome!

What? Zen doesn't do cartoon pinball. All tables I've played could be physical tables. (Granted, I haven't gotten into FX2 yet.)

Zen actually does do a lot of tables with impossible mechanics and/or physics such as the Marvel tables.
However, I see that as a positive thing. Pinball Arcade is already doing true to life tables so I enjoy the fact that both games will be offering something different.

Really? Are you signing her profile in before you sign yours out? Because every XBLA game I've ever been signed-out of has booted me back to the menu and defaulted to demo mode.

Decided to do a quick test for you. And got mixed results, strangely:

Cloning Clyde - Loaded in as me, signed out. Loaded in as her and had full functionality. I know I downloaded this way back on my first (or even second 360) and have had no reason to redownload it after changing license's over. Not even sure I've done the license migration thing on this 360, honestly, since it's my fourth one.

RoboBlitz - Another old game that I haven't turned on since I beat it years ago. Signed in as me, logged out, signed in as her and sure enough it's locked up and requires me to buy the full game. So either two things...

A) I properly migrated the license for Cloning Clyde some time ago for some truly bizarre reason. I have big doubts on this one.

B) Somehow games have their own restrictions as to if they let you do my "trick" of signing out as me and signing in as friends. Or does using a data transfer cable thing transfer licenses now? In which case perhaps I did properly transfer my license on a good number of games by redownloading in the past or something and then kept them alive by using data transfer cables?

So yeah, sorry, no real idea why it tends to work for me. I've done it a bunch of times with her as we sample my Arcade games often and I have around 130 or more now. It's hard for me to keep track of when I originally downloaded all of them and if I ever had to redownload or which of my 360s they were tied to. Also, I know there were a couple games where we had to do the sign in-sign out trick a couple times because it would mark her as a non-owner of the game. I believe Trials HD was one of them?

Thinking about it now there's also a good chance she was signed into a second controller on her profile and I signed out of mine but it still left her complete control of the main menu without the game rechecking proper ownership. That's another test I'll have to check for you.

Edit: Sure enough, went back to RoboBlitz with both of us signed into two different controllers and she was able to start a new game without a problem. Once inside the actual game I was able to sign out and her profile was still fine. I backed out to the main menu and it was the full game. Once I backed out to the title screen and went back in as her without me signed in it did it's recheck and then went back to the trial. So yeah, that's about as comprehensive as I can get with the checks. And since the original question was about DLC and he asked if it was because he was originally signed in then yes, that's why his friend was able to access it.

Gaspode_T

Speaking of obscure XBLA games I spent some time last night looking at what the worst selling XBLA games are - not by a fancy method, just go to Top Downloads (which is actually sales) and scroll to the end. It is a bit depressing because there are some of them that would probably sell much better if they are 400 points. I think after rank of #400 or so it must turn into games that have sold Zero, maybe #300 to 400 is games that have sold 1 or 2 because I noticed a game there that I happened to have bought the other day :p

It's really annoying that games that aren't on sale are mixed in the list.

Speaking of obscure XBLA games I spent some time last night looking at what the worst selling XBLA games are - not by a fancy method, just go to Top Downloads (which is actually sales) and scroll to the end. It is a bit depressing because there are some of them that would probably sell much better if they are 400 points. I think after rank of #400 or so it must turn into games that have sold Zero, maybe #300 to 400 is games that have sold 1 or 2 because I noticed a game there that I happened to have bought the other day :p

It's really annoying that games that aren't on sale are mixed in the list.

Perhaps in your region this could be the case but even the worst selling games tend to have at least a few hundred on their leaderboards. Here's a link to the US store sorted by all-time best selling and 90 to a page:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Games/XboxArcadeGames?page=1&pagesize=90&sortby=BestSelling

The last couple dozen tend to be unreleased stuff with their own pages but otherwise I'm fairly certain it's all quite accurate. I'm assuming some of the unreleased stuff gets put above other titles based on the number of review/preview codes that have been used and downloaded? Rhythm Party is currently the worst selling released game but there's a handful of recent releases all lining the the worst ten selling, but that's not terribly surprising as the smaller games are almost always largely ignored but still get a steady trickle of sales.

Worst selling I own is Space Channel 5 Part 2, but as the Dreamcast Collection disc. Worst selling I own purchased straight from the store is Radiant Silvergun. Poor Radiant Silvergun :(

Gaspode_T

Those numbers are only either the last day or last 7 days averaged, I am not sure which but I think it's the same between this and indie games and people have figured out how the indie game one is working.

It's definitely not an all time list thing thankfully (Space Channel 5 deserves better than that :) )

We will see Super Puzzle Fighter II jump from whatever it is now up 100 spots or so because I broke down and bought it yesterday :p The control stiffness is still bothering me, but I love gem/match games so...

S1kkZ

played warp for about an hour, some impressions:

-looks nice
-its best described as a stealth-puzzler
-its pretty challenging
-in some areas, the tearing is really bad (only 2 areas so far)
-there are a lot of areas i couldnt reach, not sure if you can come back later with new powers.
-you unlock challenge rooms (best compared to the vr missions in metal gear solid). they are pretty challenging (and have online leaderboards, medals)

the game is pretty cool. if you like stealth, you should play the demo.

Gaspode_T

Maybe earlier than April if we are lucky

Pinball FX2 table Epic Quest is supposed to come out today too...it has RPG style level up system so totally new mechanics compared to other tables

Warp sounds fun, I hope it is 800???

Awww, MAN! I just booted up to play some Gotham City Impostors and the game lost my stats! God damn it! I had 40 headshots and 5 slap attacks left to go for achievements! Wrote a post on their forum and emailed support, but I'm expecting to not be put in contact with Monolith in any way while WB's support says "they're sorry they can't help me."

What's extra torturous about that is that somewhere on some server, my profile's alive. The site also said I was level 1 with 0 playtime yesterday, but it's back to saying level 61 with 10 hours of playtime now...

Edit: Apparently this is a huge, known issue. Tons of people are getting it left and right. Monolith can give you back your level (though that probably takes like a week and a half as per usual) and XP, but I'm pretty sure I have to start over on everything else. Fuck this game and fuck Monolith.

Decided to do a quick test for you. And got mixed results, strangely:
Thanks! I guess we'll never fully know how that works, really. It was just something I would've liked to know more about since it can end up useful sometimes, mostly for multiplayer stuff.

Gaspode_T

AFAIK Spelunky is still a ways away, Fez is coming very very soon

I have been wondering if the Spelunker HD game for PS3 is worth getting when we know Spelunky is on the way

I don't have a feeling Warp is selling very well if Pinball FX2 is outselling it (it was right behind Pinball FX2 on the top dl list)

I don't have a feeling Warp is selling very well if Pinball FX2 is outselling it (it was right behind Pinball FX2 on the top dl list)

New Pinball FX2 table just came out this week, though. The older tables combined probably still trickle in sales pretty decently too.

I'd have to double check but the leaderboards have a total count. There's somewhere under 4,000 people on them from what I remember?

That game could use some definite tweaks but for $10 it's still decent. Last boss is terrible and having a point of no return near the end while there's achievements (and production art unlocked) for the grubs and film reels sucks a lot. I'm three grubs short from collecting all of them but because my auto-save has me right at the last boss I can't do anything about it aside from replaying. Then again, they intend for it to be replayed as there's three different possible endings, each with an achievement tied to them. The last boss is pretty much reason alone that I don't really intend to ever replay through the game.

Also, having an achievement to beat a friend's challenge gold medal challenge time sucks. I have two people on my friends list that have played the game, one of them being a local friend that played on my 360. Neither friend got remotely close in a couple challenges to get a gold medal.

Whatever. Still, decent for $10 and aside from a couple rough spots I thought it had some really neat puzzles and situations.

Gaspode_T

It sounds fun and getting mostly good reviews but I haven't even mustered the will to dl the trial so something is missing hook-wise...a clear hook would be like 'hey it plays like Portal but overhead' = 'Oh I am Portal fan so I will have to check this out'

Also I agree about Quarrel, it's quite satisfying to win the second island of domination without losing a single quarrel! also the amount of shame you feel when you lose a 7 versus 2 matchup is unreal LOL, once it was just because I couldn't figure out a word in time but another time somehow the computer got some high number out of just two letters. Haven't tried online yet but it must be pretty fun

Man, Warp really sucks. I thought the demo was fun but the full game just sucks.

It's everything that can be wrong with a game in one package, at least as far as the smallest building blocks like sense of timing and fair balance go. Enemies have eyes in the backs of their heads, fire so fast that you can't possibly react, explosives blow up entire fucking blocks and your useless little alien can't outrun anything whatsoever. The sneaking part doesn't work at all because of the neck-eyes and the puzzles are more mean-spirited than clever and are nothing but bores and chores to complete. The kind that makes you go "god damn it, I get it, do I really need to move 5 more crates?" Oh, and there's this horrid glitch where everytime the superfast guards lock onto you, the framerate chokes and he gets a kill while you're temporarily frozen during the most crucial frames of the encounter. Awesome work, Trapdoor.

Huge pain in the ass to play and about as far from recommended as possible.

S1kkZ

Man, Warp really sucks. I thought the demo was fun but the full game just sucks.

It's everything that can be wrong with a game in one package, at least as far as the smallest building blocks like sense of timing and fair balance go. Enemies have eyes in the backs of their heads, fire so fast that you can't possibly react, explosives blow up entire fucking blocks and your useless little alien can't outrun anything whatsoever. The sneaking part doesn't work at all because of the neck-eyes and the puzzles are more mean-spirited than clever and are nothing but bores and chores to complete. The kind that makes you go "god damn it, I get it, do I really need to move 5 more crates?" Oh, and there's this horrid glitch where everytime the superfast guards lock onto you, the framerate chokes and he gets a kill while you're temporarily frozen during the most crucial frames of the encounter. Awesome work, Trapdoor.

Huge pain in the ass to play and about as far from recommended as possible.

wrong: you just suck and it and dont know how to play this STEALTH game. and there are upgrades that let you warp and walk with no noise, so the guards cant hear you.

wrong: you just suck and it and dont know how to play this STEALTH game. and there are upgrades that let you warp and walk with no noise, so the guards cant hear you.
Oh, is that why I already have 10 out of 12 achievements and only missed the speedrun one because I was being stupid and went about one puzzle all wrong and lost 10 minutes? Please. I've beaten the game four times already, don't even try to tell me that guards can't see you with their back fully turned and so on. This game just sucks. If you haven't attempted a speedrun or a pacifist run yet, you don't really know how much it sucks.

acm2000

Oh, is that why I already have 10 out of 12 achievements and only missed the speedrun one because I was being stupid and went about one puzzle all wrong and lost 10 minutes? Please. I've beaten the game four times already, don't even try to tell me that guards can't see you with their back fully turned and so on. This game just sucks. If you haven't attempted a speedrun or a pacifist run yet, you don't really know how much it sucks.

it sucks so much you finished it 4 times?

I just received a promotional email for the Xbox Live Houseparty. Anyone spot the typo in the first game they announced:

"Wrap
OUT NOW

Zero is a loveable orange alien with a lethal arsenal of abilities: warp, frag, echo, swap and launch. Help him to settle his score with the villainous Commander who imprisoned Zero in an underwater facility.

Rating: MA15+
"

Seriously, how could they misspell the title of the game? It aint that hard to get right!

bede-x

Enemies have eyes in the backs of their heads, fire so fast that you can't possibly react

Isn't it quite obvious from the level design that that's intentional? I mean, you might not like that approach and that's fair enough, but the intention wasn't that you should be able to teleport and/or run so fast that the environment was meaningless. Take a closer look at the enemy/object placement and it should become readily apparent that every section is designed as a small (stealth)puzzle, where thought was put into how the player should be able to navigate it. Sure, some sections might have multiple approaches and some solutions might only be available depending on what upgrades you've bought (and the upgrades you buy could certainly be better integrated into the design template), but by and large you're meant to plan and think your way through any given section.

That's why enemies fire so fast: Because if it's threatening it drives you to consider other options than the direct approach. If they weren't that threatening you could just circumvent the other half of the design philosophy(object/enemy placement).

The way it is one design decision supports another, instead of rendering it irrelevant.

Warp is by no means perfect and fair game if you don't like it, but it's a shame if the dislike comes from a misunderstanding of the games intentions and wanting it to conform to a different style of play that the game never aims for.

it sucks so much you finished it 4 times?
Yes, I have completion OCD.

Isn't it quite obvious from the level design that that's intentional? I mean, you might not like that approach and that's fair enough, but the intention wasn't that you should be able to teleport and/or run so fast that the environment was meaningless. Take a closer look at the enemy/object placement and it should become readily apparent that every section is designed as a small (stealth)puzzle, where thought was put into how the player should be able to navigate it.
Well, come one, the neck-eyes can't be intentional. That kills the stealth bit, if I can't wait for guards to turn around! I think that's the audio cues flipping out and making guards react from further away than they should (especially when I'm wearing the stealth upgrade) and not them seeing me, but they still react in incorrect situations.

The fact of the matter is that not every room allows you to use clever warping. In just one of the first few corridors you run into a guard standing in front of a door, around a bend in the corridor you're coming from, and you can use absolutely nothing to approach him except warping right into his face from the front, risking immediate death. And that's far from the only place where you end up in a situation like that. They expect you to sneak without warping into/between objects quite often towards the end and that's when it becomes truly frustrating that the guards obviously cheat. Especially when they're wearing full-circle shields and you can't kill them to salvage a failed stealth attempt.

Now, the frankly quite arrogant achievement list (expecting me to beat the game some 5 times is just a bullshit move from any developer; your game is not that awesome) and my completion OCD might be why I'm angrier at this game than I might've been otherwise, but still. The speedrun I completed nearly drove me insane with all the little annoyances in this game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Captain Bluey said:

Wrap
OUT NOW

Ezro is a livable orange a lean with a lethal arse of abilities: wrap, fargo, echo, swamp and lunch. Help him to settle his score with the billable Colander who emprisoned Ezro in an underground faculty.

Rating: AM 51+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom