• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerranMG

How's NBA Jam?
Got the first one a year ago, but it felt so shallow when played solo.
Is the On Fire one better when played alone?

Jhoan

Definitely checking The Missing Link for sure. I've been waiting for it to be on sale. Patience is a virtue.

I think the Shank games are extremely good; it's probably the best beat em up game on a DD service next to Scott Pilgrim. I got all 200G in the first one. Since Shank 2 is 800MSP instead of 1200 (which I thought was overpriced, hence why I bought the first one for 600), I might check it out. Finally a good DOTW comes along; so much good stuff to check out.

Everyone should check out Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light for 600MSP. It's incredibly good especially on co-op. It's one of the best XBLA games out there.

I Am Alive looks so bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbOtItKI9Zs

Hard to believe that is a game that was in development for years and scheduled for retail. The low budget third person action look reminds me of Hydrophobia.

Main character even seems to be missing a shadow... just really horrid and clunky to look at.

i hate the stamina bar mechanic. i was a lock for this, but i've changed my mind after watching the preview, it looks really bad and a chore to play.

Along with Lara Croft:GoL, Puzzle Arcade, Deus Ex DLC/tat and Just Cause 2 DLC there are some small GoD reductions and Crystal Dynamic Tomb Raiders DLC in the Squeenix sale (unless they add more).
Holy mother. The Tomb Raider: Underworld DLC came out in early 2009 and I don't think it's ever been on sale before. I've always wanted to play it, but $10 a pop just felt like too much for what you get. Half price, though? That's perfect. What an unexpected and pleasant surprise.

Not seeing the Underworld DLC on sale?

Edit: Unless it was originally more than 400 points and it's just not saying it has been reduced?

I Am Alive looks so bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbOtItKI9Zs

Hard to believe that is a game that was in development for years and scheduled for retail. The low budget third person action look reminds me of Hydrophobia.

Graphics seem fine to me, but then I'm not too bothered about that aspect. Also, Hyrophobia was very enjoyable once they patched the hell out of it. Unless this gets real stinking reviews I'd imagine I'll be picking it up.

Kafel

Banned
blarg. threading error.

you will be hearing a lot more from us in the next couple of months. super exciting times for Capy.

Cool !

CoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVitaCoHVita

Vert boil

Not seeing the Underworld DLC on sale?

Edit: Unless it was originally more than 400 points and it's just not saying it has been reduced?

Normal price is 800 MSP a piece. Since this is a Publisher sale and not exclusive to Gold, there is no indication of price reduced on xbox.com or console.

MechDX

Everytime I see this thread bumped I greatly anticipate opening it hoping for Power Stone Collection HD. Then I die a little inside when there is no mention of it. :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Everytime I see this thread bumped I greatly anticipate opening it hoping for Power Stone Collection HD. Then I die a little inside when there is no mention of it. :(

Capcom don't give a shit about their old franchises, man.

They already pissed the Power Stone Collection up the wall by releasing it on PSP. Dunno what the fuck they were thinking.

Tomb Raider: Underworld Beneath the Ashes (was 800, now 400msp)
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Lara’s Shadow (was 800, now 400msp)

Anniversary DLC is for Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - Episodes 1 & 2 (was 800, now 400msp)
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - Episodes 3 & 4 (was 800, now 400msp)

Normal price is 800 MSP a piece. Since this is a Publisher sale and not exclusive to Gold, there is no indication of price reduced on xbox.com or console.

Thanks guys, bought it now. Weird that this stuff has seemingly never gone on sale before.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Isn't there a really competent Powerstone clone on the horizon? Or maybe I hallucinated that.

TheOddOne

Halfbrick's Fruit Ninja sells 500k on Kinect
Console experiment adds to studio success as Jetpack Joyride passes 14m downloads

Australian studio Halfbrick has cause to celebrate today as two of its games reach major sales milestones.

Fruit Ninja, a casual game originall for iOS, has sold over half a million copies for Kinect, while Jetpack Joyride has reached 14m downloads.

Though Jetpack Joyride went free-to-play in Demember the game has grown substantially.

"There's an update coming in the next month," Halfbrick's Chief Marketing Officer Phil Larsen told Joystiq, "It's the biggest one we've done so far."

The app reached 1m Downloads before going free to play, and has seen about 13m since that time.
Congrats!

Congrats Halfbrick! Please give us another Raskulls game.

Tomb Raider: Underworld Beneath the Ashes (was 800, now 400msp)
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Lara’s Shadow (was 800, now 400msp)

Anniversary DLC is for Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - Episodes 1 & 2 (was 800, now 400msp)
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - Episodes 3 & 4 (was 800, now 400msp)

Well, I was deciding on which game in my backlog to play through next; Tomb Raider Underworld it is!

rozay

Banned
I was slightly excited when I saw NBA jam but I have no interest since EA can kill the servers whenever they want (and they will within a year I bet)

Damn, so is NBA Jam any good? I've been waiting on a DOTW for it.

Just played around fifteen to twenty games of it tonight. Eight or nine of those online. Not a huge community but it tells you how many people are online and at the longest it took me twenty seconds to get into a game. Keep in mind I was playing between 12am-3am PST so not exactly the busiest time of day and there were still ~150 people online.

As for the game itself I'm not an expert on all things NBA Jam and honestly I don't know shit about actual NBA or any of its players but it seems really fun. For single-player stuff it has a career mode of sorts where you can play each team three times (Bronze, Silver, Gold...any maybe others? Leaderboards look like it goes to Diamond/Platinum but I don't see how to do it in game) and Silver/Gold have a chance to be a more unique type of match. I played a Silver game against the Blazers where dunks/alley-oops were one point, inside shots were three, and outside the line were four points. Too bad the AI was dumb and constantly dunked instead of tried to play appropriately. Also, they bring in plenty of legends in some of those matches and other tweaks.

Most everything else felt pretty much the same as I could remember from NBA Jam/Hangtime from a decade ago when I last played any of them. There's twenty-five challenges which essentially just mean doing stuff ranks up individually and gives you credits to buy more teams, players, and plenty of profile customization stuff. There's a ton of stuff in there.

Really worth the $10 to me and I'm barely a fan and more just someone that misses all the "extreme" sports games that we used to have.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I was slightly excited when I saw NBA jam but I have no interest since EA can kill the servers whenever they want (and they will within a year I bet)
I think that only applies to titles that use the EA account, which you have to sign up for separately.

I remember that huge, contentious thread when NBA Jam was announced for Wii retail. Some people said it would be DD on the HD consoles, others said it would be retail. Both sides ended up being correct.

I think that only applies to titles that use the EA account, which you have to sign up for separately.

Well, it should be noted then that the game does have you sign into your EA Account. I thought that was pretty much a standard for every EA published game with online features, though.

But honestly if you are actually still playing this game a year from now and they do happen to shut down the servers I think it could easily be argued you got your $10 worth out of it. I think it's a bit silly to not enjoy a game that you think you'd like for a hypothetical year's worth of online entertainment just because you don't agree with how they handle their servers. Likely 99.9% of the people that buy this game will have moved on and never care about the servers by the time EA does eventually turn them off. And at that point perhaps there'll even be a new NBA Jam game released? Sounds good to me.

hitoshi

Well, if anyone interested, my Deadlight interview was posted yesterday. On the second page you can read the original English version:

http://bit.ly/xC21yt

Some interesting tidbits:

Randall Wayne was born the 19th of May, 1952 in Hope, BC. He barely left his hometown in his life, except for a couple of visits to Vancouver. He hated cities and only found peace in the isolation of nature.

Randall married very young and had a daughter called Lydia. Before the Massive Mess, Wayne was an ordinary man with no great aspirations, but also without a heavy load on his shoulders. He became a park warden and spent long stays in the mountains, which improve his character.

Thanks to his long his job in the woods, Wayne acquired basic knowledge on weapons handling, survival skills and climbing. Randall has a passion for crime fiction and espionage novel and has an interest in animal biology. He is introverted and slightly paranoid.

Noise and using yourself as a life bait. When you are in a dead world, every little sound is amplified. Zombies are tireless but they are dumb. The player must take care of that, but also it’s an ability at his/her disposal. For example, Randall can scream or taunt to catch the attention. It doesn’t sound very smart of him, but you will understand when you play the game.

jgkspsx

I Am Alive looks so bad.
I haven't followed it, but I actually thought it looked really fun. Are there zombies? I'm in if there are no zombies. I don't give a shit about his shadow if it's fun.

I'd love to see more action and adventure games without combat. Many are the titles ruined by its inclusion (Deadly Premonition, Mirror's Edge, etc.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Microsoft had a 360 event in Japan

Diabolical Pitch was listed with a "2012" release date (I think we all knew this). Project Draco apparently had a gameplay demo but is listed with an "Undecided" release date. Diabolical Pitch was confirmed for XBLA, Project Draco could be XBLA or retail.

Fire Pro Wrestling was absent, which I don't think bodes all that well.

S1kkZ

Diabolical Pitch was listed with a "2012" release date (I think we all knew this). Project Draco apparently had a gameplay demo but is listed with an "Undecided" release date. Diabolical Pitch was confirmed for XBLA, Project Draco could be XBLA or retail.

i think draco could end up as a retail title (and bomb like child of eden did...).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think it bodes extremely well for Fire Pro fans :p

Well, sure. I personally don't care because I've got a BC PS3 and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (10/10 - 1up.com) but I know at least a few people were looking forward to piledriving avatars into the mat :p

Thanks Shard. Now that I'm unemployed, I find myself saving $$ and getting my gaming fix by downloading all my games on the download services for $10 rather than spending $60.

Any word on when The Pinball Arcade will be coming out? I'm waiting for that one with baited breath.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That Japanese guy is obviously pretty dedicated about tracking stuff down, but because of that I think he ends up including stuff that isn't going to get released.

On the list, the most obvious culprits:
A Virus Named Tom; Website has pre-order for PC version, no indication Microsoft Studios has signed them, no indication any other publisher has either.
Bodoink; Kickstarter failed bigtime, no indication game is actively being worked on.
Orc Attack; No publisher, no indication other than logos at bottom of page that Microsoft Studios has signed them, dev has never made a game before.
Ghetto Golf; No publisher, only screenshot of game released mid-2009, frankly a fighting game about guys in poor urban environments beating each other with golf clubs does not strike me as something that's like to attract publishers
Orion: Prelude; No publisher, in multiplayer beta on PC right now and no imminent XBLA news.
Serious Sam Double D; It's a rough-around-the-edges indie game designed to release concurrently with a retail shooter. The retail shooter has been out for more than 6 months, it's not out on 360 and as far as I know not coming there, there's no publisher.

That's not to say everything else is guaranteed. That's also not to say that it's not interesting to track these projects, but I just don't think it's wise to actually pretend to slot them in to release dates just because the developer says that's what they're shooting for.

Although the guy does wisely list the Golgoth Studios projects as "Unannounced/Rumour"

Gaspode_T

Yeah technically things like Double Dragon II are also questionable too, since it fell off the face of the earth (so did Aero cross arcade actually)

I've just never seen such obsessive and complete dedication to sniffing out rumors since the 90s Usenet days, I remember people were pretty good at gathering information in the lack of Internet to rely on days.

One thing that fascinates me is how XBLA and PSN release schedules manage to keep fairly in sync for most releases, are XBLA and PSN team having dinner together? Or publisher just coordinates it on same release week to be fair and not piss one or the other off?

That Japanese guy is obviously pretty dedicated about tracking stuff down, but because of that I think he ends up including stuff that isn't going to get released.

A Virus Named Tom; Website has pre-order for PC version, no indication Microsoft Studios has signed them, no indication any other publisher has either.
Bodoink; Kickstarter failed bigtime, no indication game is actively being worked on.

Bodoink is coming to XBLA in Spring

We also interviewed Tim Keenan, who created A Virus Named Tom. That is the last thing on that game we have though, so you could be right on that one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can someone explain to me what the 360's DRM for DLC is?

360 DRM for regular content (XBLA games, for example):
- You get one license for the console you bought the game on, regardless of whether you are online or offline, regardless of which gamertags are signed in. Anyone can play the game on that console. You can transfer this console once a year.
- You get a second license for your Gamertag, connected to Live, anywhere in the world. Other people can also play the game, but only if your Gamertag is signed in and connected to Live. So if you want to play an XBLA game you have purchased on another console, you have to be online.

I purchased Crimson Alliance. I purchased the "all class pack" DLC on my secondary 360 on my own gamertag. Last night, I went to a friend's house. We decided to play Crimson Alliance. No problem, the second license should apply, because I'll be signed in to Live. So we redownloaded the DLC on my Gamertag. When we launched the game, we decided to switch controllers. I signed out. At this point, he should have no access to the DLC. While I was signed out, he entered the game. He had access to all classes and no nagging to buy them. At this point I was not signed in whatsoever. So is DLC DRM-free once it is on a system? Or was it because I was signed in when we booted the game, even though I signed out?

Can't say I understand what the point of the Kickstarter was, then. I also don't know how the game will release without a publisher. Maybe Microsoft Studios signed them?

TxdoHawk

Well, sure. I personally don't care because I've got a BC PS3 and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (10/10 - 1up.com) but I know at least a few people were looking forward to piledriving avatars into the mat :p

I was looking forward to the online play. :( Feels terribad, man. It was done (or practically so) by all accounts at PAX, so WTF? It still has a web page on Xbox.jp, so I continue to hold out hope.

kassatsu

Banned

Orc Attack; No publisher, no indication other than logos at bottom of page that Microsoft Studios has signed them, dev has never made a game before.
Ghetto Golf; No publisher, only screenshot of game released mid-2009, frankly a fighting game about guys in poor urban environments beating each other with golf clubs does not strike me as something that's like to attract publishers
Orion: Prelude; No publisher, in multiplayer beta on PC right now and no imminent XBLA news.
Serious Sam Double D; It's a rough-around-the-edges indie game designed to release concurrently with a retail shooter. The retail shooter has been out for more than 6 months, it's not out on 360 and as far as I know not coming there, there's no publisher.

That's not to say everything else is guaranteed. That's also not to say that it's not interesting to track these projects, but I just don't think it's wise to actually pretend to slot them in to release dates just because the developer says that's what they're shooting for.

Although the guy does wisely list the Golgoth Studios projects as "Unannounced/Rumour"
Isn't orc attack a vita game.

TheOddOne

I do hope they take a chance with Draco retail, then release a XBLA version later.

So is DLC DRM-free once it is on a system? Or was it because I was signed in when we booted the game, even though I signed out?

Unless someone explains otherwise that's the situation as far as I'm aware. Due to red rings and number of stuff downloaded I haven't redownloaded a load of my stuff but since I tend to be the one online with it I don't worry all that much. But the few times I have a friend that wants to play the game (or DLC) I sign in, get into the game, sign out, and then she signs in and can play on her profile and get achievements. I believe we had found one game that gave us trouble but that's it. Oh, and Braid is glitched and pretty much can never be recovered or something. Perhaps people did find some solution but seemingly it always stays a trial for me unless I pay for it again. Lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom